PDA

View Full Version : Review: DuraCoat "Shake 'n Spray" kit

jmjames
09-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Over the weekend I finally got to try out the DuraCoat "Shake 'n Spray" kit. Quick background: I've been a competent rattle can user since the age of 5 when my father introduced me to model rockets. I have also done some minimal airbrush work, thanks to a brief BattleTech phase as a teenager. I went with this kit because my Saiga 12 had been DuraCoated by a local pro, and I loved the results but I hated waiting for him to get around to small batch stuff when I had accessories to do. I also figured that with the small number of small items I had, the kit would go a long, long way. I ordered the kit directly from Lauer Weaponry (the folks who make it) and the cost was $35 before S/H (total was $50 even).

DuraCoat doesn't "dry", it hardens like an epoxy. To use the kit, you mix the color and a hardener in a 12:1 ratio. The kit comes with a compressed air can and a jar, and is designed to be used like a rattle can. The kit also comes with a degreaser and a scouring pad to rough up the surface.

The hardener and color come in the right ratio, but if you want to use less you'll need to meter it out yourself. I used the syringes that come with children's medications to measure.

PROS:

* I was able to do it at home
* "Dries" to the touch in 1 - 2 hours, depending on how many coats are put on
* Cures in 6 - 8 hours, can be used "lightly" after that
* Awesome color selection (I was using "H&K semi-gloss black")
* Additional coats can be applied as soon as 5 minutes since the previous coat
* DuraCoat is good stuff in general, and I'm pleased with it
* Despite my struggles, my results were as good as the local pro, other than where I applied it a bit too thick
* Even though I ended up wasting a lot of it, the cost was still much lower than my local pro, especially if I was doing a whole firearm
* The degreaser seems to have been VERY effective, no issues with it not sticking
* Works on a wife variety of materials; I sprayed plastic and metal (some Parkerized, some already painted, some bare metal) and it worked on all of them

CONS:

* Directions say to wait up to 4 weeks for heavy use
* Very inconsistent spray; getting the distance between "sloppy" and "speckles" was tough
* The hardener bottle's neck was so narrow, it was extremely difficult for me to get the medicine syringe in there
* The jar/tube combination required me to put a LOT of mixture in just to get it to spray; a lot was left over
* If you want to re-use the system, you are supposed to clean the kit with the "reducer" which is NOT included in the kit
* Very difficult to correct mistakes; it is thick and sticky
* The literature says I could do 2 guns with this kit; I probably could, but doing small parts has so much waste (overspray and such) that the kit doesn't go very far

CONCLUSION:

I am definitely willing to try my hand at home DuraCoat-ing again, but next time I will use the airbrush kit. I really did not like the aerosol system, it produced a lousy spray pattern, and I ended up wasting so much that the kit that I thought would have plenty in it was almost completely used up just doing a few small parts and a couple of big items. I was miffed that to re-use the kit, I needed "reducer" as well. I was very annoyed by the difficulty in measuring out the materials because the hardener bottle's neck was too small to easily work with. At the end of the day, if I would have just dumped the full bottle of each into the jar, the end result would have been the same and the frustration level would have been lower. If they offered the "Shake 'n Bake" kit (one that gets put in the oven at a low temperature and has much reduced curing times as a result) in the color I want in the future, I will definitely want to give that a try. Other than the places where I went a touch too heavy (which I think the airbrush kit would remedy), my work was about as good as my local pro.

Now... all of that said...

If my local pro had a reasonable, consistent wait time (I waited months for him to do a full gun, but only a week for him to do some small parts), I'd probably prefer to have him do it. Spending 2 - 3 hours of my day (admittedly, I enjoyed the company of the person I was spending the time with) on a painting project that came out to be only a touch cheaper than what he would have charged me doesn't make sense. If I were doing a full firearm, doing it myself would likely save me enough money to justify it. For a "showpiece" gun, I'd still consider my local pro, for a "working gun" that I just want to re-color and add some rust protection to, I'd do it myself.

J.Ja

Dropkick
09-18-2012, 05:10 PM
I hate to have to do it, but...

http://www.rhinoforums.net/images/smilies/other/worthless.gif

I mean, do you have any before and afters?
Or maybe even the pro job verses the kit job?

orionz06
09-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Host before you post!

Corlissimo
09-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Nice write up. Not to complain, but could you also list what parts/pieces you coated so as to give a better idea of how far the kit goes?

Oh yeah... POST SOME PICS TOO! :D

jmjames
09-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. :D

The parts I DuraCoated:

* Gas plug for the Saiga 12
* A barrel clamp/Picatinny rail
* Another small Picatinny rail (5 slots I think)
* A 5" 1911 slide
* A 20 round drum magazine for the Saiga 12 (which is fairly large, and where much of it went)
* A small piece used as a magazine guide for the Saiga 12

I think that the size of the drum magazine is big enough and awkward enough (it's compact and round, so it needs a lot of passes which equals a lot of overspray) that it's comparable to nearly two handguns in surface area, or the receiver and barrel/gas tube of a small-ish rifle (like an AK or an AR without buttstock and handguards), in terms of the amount of paint needed.

J.Ja

jmjames
09-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Also, I still have some left, but I am pretty sure that if I mixed it up, it would seem like a lot but the aerosol system wouldn't be able to suck much of it up and it would just be wasted. :( I'll hold onto what's left for if/when I get the airbrush kit.

J.Ja

Al T.
09-19-2012, 07:19 AM
I may have a source for some DuraCoat freebies. More to follow....

:cool:

Corlissimo
09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. :D

The parts I DuraCoated:

* Gas plug for the Saiga 12
* A barrel clamp/Picatinny rail
* Another small Picatinny rail (5 slots I think)
* A 5" 1911 slide
* A 20 round drum magazine for the Saiga 12 (which is fairly large, and where much of it went)
* A small piece used as a magazine guide for the Saiga 12

I think that the size of the drum magazine is big enough and awkward enough (it's compact and round, so it needs a lot of passes which equals a lot of overspray) that it's comparable to nearly two handguns in surface area, or the receiver and barrel/gas tube of a small-ish rifle (like an AK or an AR without buttstock and handguards), in terms of the amount of paint needed.

J.Ja

Thank Jm! That still seems like it's a decent amount of parts to cover for the $50 cost, even with the drum mag.

Nice write up and looking forward to the pics. :cool:

Tamara
09-19-2012, 09:11 AM
* Works on a wife variety of materials; I sprayed plastic and metal (some Parkerized, some already painted, some bare metal) and it worked on all of them

Funniest. Typo. Ever. :D

jstyer
09-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Funniest. Typo. Ever. :D

Exactly what I was thinking...

Nate
09-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Funny you should mention the Shake & Spray kit. I, too, tried it a few days ago.

My impressions were pretty similar to yours: it would be nice if the kit came with the means to clean it out for re-use later. But, it worked very well for my purposes, which was simply to coat the bolt handle of a Remington* 700. The bolt handle is steel in the white (was in a hurry to get the aftermarket bolt handle I wanted, and the stainless version wasn't available) and I needed some sort of finish on it.

I got flat black, masked off the bolt body, mixed the two components (went with the full measure of each), and started spraying. The first few coats went on *beautifully*. There were no spots or runs, so, naturally, I went with a thicker coat, and got a pretty good sized run. It's hard to clean up an error, so better to go with thin coats so you don't find out where the mess starts--or practice on a scrap to get a feel for where the runs start. That said, for what I need it for (something to keep rust at bay on a small part, rather than a major part of the gun's appearance), the flaw isn't a big deal--and a couple of thick coats later on have covered it up to the point that it's nearly impossible to see--and only if you're looking for it.

One other thing to beware of: once the stuff is almost dry to the touch, don't test it to see just how dry to the touch it is. I bumped the end of the handle, and that moved a "flap" of the semi-dry duracoat, which marred the end quite a bit. It's pretty well covered up by several more thick coats, but simply spraying ever thicker coats until the problem goes away may not always be a viable solution, though it was in my case.

I used the leftover after finishing the bolt to touch up a few rust spots on the railing on the front steps. My wife was quite pleased with the results out there (the matte black matched the existing paint very well). So, I'll have to say it was worth doing--though if I were doing more than just a small part, I might think seriously about using a proper air brush. Also, I would order the reducer so I could re-use the kit.

*I shoot for the Remington high power rifle team. They pay my way for travel and match entry. That's not relevant here, other than to strictly follow (well, my understanding of) the forum rules. I said "Remington", so here it is.

jmjames
09-19-2012, 09:55 AM
I should try to Parkerize my wife, now that I think about it... then slather her with cosmoline, wrap her in some plastic wrap and that Eastern European brown waxed paper... I'm sure she'd appreciate the "Makarov ready for long term storage" treatment... :D

J.Ja

Al T.
09-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I should try to Parkerize my wife

You are a braver man than I. Gotta sleep sometime. ;)

TGS
09-20-2012, 06:55 PM
I should try to Parkerize my wife, now that I think about it... then slather her with cosmoline, wrap her in some plastic wrap and that Eastern European brown waxed paper... I'm sure she'd appreciate the "Makarov ready for long term storage" treatment... :D

J.Ja

Well at the very least tell her about how awesome Froglube is for the skin and smear her face in it.

It smells good too, so you might actually convince her as long as she doesn't see the container. Just don't go for the heat treatment/seasoning! :eek:

jmjames
09-21-2012, 12:02 AM
I went to put the pictures up, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how the new system for putting up pictures works... and keep in mind that I am a professional Web developer who has been writing software since age 5. This new system is confusing! And it tells me I am at my limit... argh. This used to be MUCH easier!

This is a picture of the overall gun. You can see that the various parts (the barrel clamp for the light, the drum mag, etc.) are a 100% match in color/sheen to the rest of the gun that was done by the local pro:
http://www.thesophist.com/images/WP_000187.jpg

Closeup comparing the drum to the receiver:
http://www.thesophist.com/images/WP_000188.jpg

Here you can (hopefully) see where i put it on a bit too thick in a touch-up because I realized I did a poor job getting into that nook:
http://www.thesophist.com/images/WP_000189.jpg

Closeup of the barrel clamp:
http://www.thesophist.com/images/WP_000190.jpg

Closeup showing how it got on way too thick on the rails of the barrel clamp:
http://www.thesophist.com/images/WP_000193.jpg

J.Ja