PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced dovetail front sight pusher?

HeavyDuty
08-29-2022, 05:15 PM
I’ve ended up with several dovetail front sight equipped pistols, and I prefer doing my own installations. I’ve been spoiled by Glock screw-on fronts.

The pushers I have are really only suitable for rear sights. Has anyone seen a decent, affordable design for fronts that will push on the dovetail instead of the blade?

BillSWPA
08-30-2022, 11:48 PM
Only one I know of is the B&J Machine P200, which is unfortunately no longer made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnbkr
08-31-2022, 05:28 AM
Maybe something like this if the dovetail has enough meat:
https://www.wyomingsightdrifter.com/store/product/wyoming-sight-drifter

Chris

HeavyDuty
08-31-2022, 06:43 AM
I’m seeing cheap frame type pushers with a pointed block (not sure what to call it) - this may be my only practical option. I just don’t like using punches on tritium sights.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B14ZHDSC/

I should order one of those Wyoming sight pushers for my range bag, though.

BillSWPA
08-31-2022, 06:50 AM
I have been using an MGW pusher with the block adjusted as low on the sight as possible. So far, there have been no problems, but I definitely see how a problem could occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pnut
10-12-2022, 11:06 PM
VISM makes a universal combo front/rear sight pusher that can be had for less than $80. My bought on on sale a few years ago. Since it’s UNIVERSAL, It was a slight pain to get get everything lined up with all the adjustment screws, but once everything was square, it worked great.

sickeness
10-13-2022, 01:43 AM
Mgw made for the specific gun is worth its weight in gold.

hufnagel
10-13-2022, 05:43 AM
I have the B&J P500 tool. takes a bit to setup, but works fantastic.

https://topgunsupply.r.worldssl.net/images/P/p500pro_b.jpg

Pnut
10-13-2022, 10:14 AM
Correction on my last post… the tool is made by NCStar. I think VISM is their subdivision!?!?

Sal Picante
10-13-2022, 01:53 PM
I was surprised that the B&J tools was no longer being sold...

https://b-j-machines-inc.business.site/#summary

I think they can make one still?

I'll add: I love mine and have loaned it to PF members for years.
It has been, literally, around the world.
If you want to borrow it, LMK, just cover shipping.

p/B7HV43dJd6M

HeavyDuty
10-13-2022, 03:54 PM
Correction on my last post… the tool is made by NCStar. I think VISM is their subdivision!?!?

I have that one, but on fronts you can only push on the blade.

Pnut
10-13-2022, 04:23 PM
They make 2 different versions, rear only and front/rear. You might have the rear only tool. If you look in the posted pic, there are 2 T-handles. One if for the front and the other is for the rear. The front has a finger that pushes the dovetail.

Front/rear tool

Rear only tool

HeavyDuty
10-13-2022, 06:00 PM
They make 2 different versions, rear only and front/rear. You might have the rear only tool. If you look in the posted pic, there are 2 T-handles. One if for the front and the other is for the rear. The front has a finger that pushes the dovetail.

Front/rear tool

Rear only tool

Aha! I missed that - this is the tool I need. Thank you!

HeavyDuty
10-21-2022, 03:55 PM
Shoutout to Pnut for the pointer - the new pusher arrived and is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Pnut
10-21-2022, 05:06 PM
Glad I could help. I purchase the rear only tool first but ended up gifting it to a friend after I discovered the front/rear tool!

MDFA
07-12-2023, 01:43 PM

Should have mine tomorrow. I got tired of pounding sights in and out without damaging the pistol or the sights.

Pnut
07-12-2023, 02:41 PM
Just a tip for using the VISM pusher…. Take your time setting up your slide in the tool! Since it’s a UNIVERSAL tool, the thing has tons of adjustments. Especially make sure the UP/DOWN adjustment is correct. You want the pusher nub only touching the sight base and not digging into your slide.

Another tip is to clamp the tool in a vice. Some sights are REALLY wedged in there so a lot of torque might be needed to get it moving. You can use a wrench or socket over the pusher knobs if you need more leverage.

If you’re really anal, cover up the slides surfaces with masking tape wherever the tool claps down on it.

Set up will take more time than actually pushing the sights!

MDFA
07-14-2023, 12:36 PM
Just a tip for using the VISM pusher…. Take your time setting up your slide in the tool! Since it’s a UNIVERSAL tool, the thing has tons of adjustments. Especially make sure the UP/DOWN adjustment is correct. You want the pusher nub only touching the sight base and not digging into your slide.

Another tip is to clamp the tool in a vice. Some sights are REALLY wedged in there so a lot of torque might be needed to get it moving. You can use a wrench or socket over the pusher knobs if you need more leverage.

If you’re really anal, cover up the slides surfaces with masking tape wherever the tool claps down on it.

Set up will take more time than actually pushing the sights!

Thanks for the advice. Set up takes some time especially the first time. Had to use a wrench to get my P228 front sight to move. Would never have gotten it out with a punch. Well worth the money.

Pnut
07-14-2023, 01:36 PM
Glad it worked out! I didn’t read the manual my first time, but later found out there are small windows on the sides near the the pusher screws. They are supposed to be used to look through to help lineup the pusher nubs. They are tiny though and didn’t help me… maybe because my old eyes! But your experience might vary.

MDFA
07-16-2023, 06:04 AM
Glad it worked out! I didn’t read the manual my first time, but later found out there are small windows on the sides near the the pusher screws. They are supposed to be used to look through to help lineup the pusher nubs. They are tiny though and didn’t help me… maybe because my old eyes! But your experience might vary.

Manual? You got a Manual!!! I watched the You Tube videos... Lol

The videos actually covered the windows in the sides. Didn't really do much for me either. A flashlight and magnified visor helped. I've got Old Guy Eyes too.