PDA

View Full Version : So, I am a dude who has heretofore been firmly in the Timmy camp…

Totem Polar
08-26-2022, 05:51 PM
I’ve taken a pile of cool-guy (sort of, if revolvers, knives, and grappling is actually “cool”) classes in the last 3 decades, but my only comp work has been—back in the day—bowling pin and Paladin stuff (that’s how old I am).

So, maybe a year ago, I mentioned mentoring a new, young shooter who works in the service industry, and closes brewpubs at night alone (imagine that: “Totem” in a brew pub… but I digress…) who was taking to the shooting arts like a P-F mod to beer, with her new G42 (her choice, from the Totem bag of evil).

A year later, the shoe is on the other foot, and yesterday she brow beat me into doing my first IDPA-type “fun shoot.”

Alas, poor Timmy, I knew thee well.

I’m hooked.

The good news: at every taping up, the RO kept calling—in a moderately surprised tone, considering that I was running a G42 in solidarity, “Aplha, Alpha… another two Aplhas… an Alpha and one Charlie…” No misses, no no-shoots on white, no Deltas. I can get hits on what I aim at.

The bad news: glaciers in the Pleistocene move faster than I do—and that goes quadruple, given the 3 mandatory reloads when running 6-round mags.
:D

That said, I still beat some guys with RDS who punched no-shoots, and nobody made fun of either of us.

The best part: this is just what I needed to reignite the “passion of the gun.”

Looks like it will be a busy work year, with something to look forward to *every* Thursday night.

That is all.

Suck it, all you Timmies. Gamers rule.

:)

JCN
08-26-2022, 06:01 PM
Totem Polar

I am JCN and I approve this message.

I am also sorry that you will soon be kilt on the streetz.

Gaming is a great way to meet nice people and get that competitive buzz going.

It can be pretty addictive as a fun hobby!

Default.mp3
08-26-2022, 06:14 PM
I have zero interest in IDPA, given how my carry style was illegal for so long, and also my gun simply isn't legal in any IDPA division.

USPSA, on the other hand, has significantly helped my pistol shooting. I had taken a decent number of tactical/defensive pistol classes before, and had shot Steel Challenge a fair bit, so my accuracy was very high from the very beginning, but my speed was also very slow, placing me at ~30% of the top shooters' scores (and we have world class GMs at my local matches). Today, I still am almost always in the top 3 in number of A's in the overall match (in fact, I'm regularly the one with the most), but am now at 50% of the top scores at worst on my bad days, and can often break 60%, despite still shooting in Timmy gear (retention holster on a war belt or else from concealment) and having zero practice.

Competition can be extremely fun if you just let it be just that: fun.

WDR
08-26-2022, 06:23 PM
It's been a long loooooong time since I shot any USPSA matches, or even the weekday "practices" the range I used to frequent put on. I spent too many years on nights and weekends at work.

I've been distracted this year by a variety of BS... but I do have weekends off again for the first time in a long time. At least attempting to get back into the game is on my list for next year (if not this fall, after my elk hunt is over). I will be honest: I haven't even fired my carry gun in over two months. I was on a hot streak last spring, with nearly weekly trips to 25 yard B-8 hell (aka my local indoor range), but I slacked off when summer arrived and SHTF.

No reason you can't have fun, even if you're slow. :cool:

paherne
08-26-2022, 07:03 PM
I just signed up and paid for an Intro to Competition Class at the range where they hold the local IDPA and IPSC matches. I have to wait until December for a slot.

Default.mp3
08-26-2022, 07:31 PM
I just signed up and paid for an Intro to Competition Class at the range where they hold the local IDPA and IPSC matches. I have to wait until December for a slot.Do people feel that intro to competition classes are really worth a shit? I've only seen glimpses of one that was held at my range by Fieldcraft, and it looked like ass. I'm of the opinion to just show up and get into it (show up and just shadow a match or two without shooting if you really wanna be cautious), but I'm curious if anyone else feels differently.

Totem Polar
08-26-2022, 07:42 PM
Totem Polar

I am JCN and I approve this message.

I am also sorry that you will soon be kilt on the streetz.

Gaming is a great way to meet nice people and get that competitive buzz going.

It can be pretty addictive as a fun hobby!

I’m pretty sure I got kilt both coming and going from work today.

As to nice people, damn, if everyone wasn’t just super-friendly and helpful. A very good experience.

Of course, I also ran into a good buddy of mine that’s done, what, 2 ECQCs and co-hosted Cecil Burch IAJJ with me, so there’s just no getting away from those damn Timmies. He wailed on that course, too. He’s with local LE, and their crew throws the last run of the night by only allowing head box As for any target behind a no-shoot. Low score in the cadre buys the first round afterwards. I got a pass because of the mousegun.

:cool:

paherne
08-26-2022, 07:42 PM
Do people feel that intro to competition classes are really worth a shit? I've only seen glimpses of one that was held at my range by Fieldcraft, and it looked like ass. I'm of the opinion to just show up and get into it (show up and just shadow a match or two without shooting if you really wanna be cautious), but I'm curious if anyone else feels differently.

Not an option. If I want to shoot at this gun club, I have to take the class. I don't make the rules.

ECK
08-26-2022, 07:48 PM
Do people feel that intro to competition classes are really worth a shit? I've only seen glimpses of one that was held at my range by Fieldcraft, and it looked like ass. I'm of the opinion to just show up and get into it (show up and just shadow a match or two without shooting if you really wanna be cautious), but I'm curious if anyone else feels differently.

That’s what I did, just show up. In fact, we get quite a few newbies out for their first time. Either they come with a friend who already shoots USPSA/IDPA or they heard about us somehow and decided to show up. We’ve even had a few friends come with to ‘just watch’ who sometimes end up shooting a stage or three after ‘watching’.

But my club has hosted an intro to competition shooting. Thinking it may be time to do one again this fall. We also do a range day once a year where we showcase a USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge stage for the general membership.

fatdog
08-26-2022, 07:58 PM
my only comp work has been—back in the day—bowling pin and Paladin stuff (that’s how old I am).

Dude I started with 2700 bullseye (as exciting as watching grass grow) and then pins....you have been missing it, the modern action shooting sports are so much more fun. Like I told Stephanie in some thread around here after she first tried it, after my first USPSA and IDPA matches back in the 90's I felt like my momma was gonna whip me when I got home for running and playing with guns....

You don't gotta win to have fun at these games. That plus I like hanging out with 95% of these people and it is one of the few gatherings where I know I am never going to have to listen to some liberal yaking his or her politics at me. They ain't ever there.

Totem Polar
08-26-2022, 08:06 PM
You don't gotta win to have fun at these games. That plus I like hanging out with 95% of these people and it is one of the few gatherings where I know I am never going to have to listen to some liberal yaking his or her politics at me. They ain't ever there.

Brother, I am *already* subscribing to your newsletter. Pretty much exactly as it happened.

Caballoflaco
08-26-2022, 09:00 PM

I thought the one I went to way back when was helpful. It wasn’t super in-depth but covered safety, basic commands and rules and iirc we shot a small stage. This was in the early 2000’s where there was probably some info online, but I hadn’t found it yet and I had been shooting steel matches at the same range. I thought it was nice showing up to a match knowing I’d already done this before, even if it wasn’t in front of a large group of people. ETA: I think there were only three of us there so I don’t think it lasted much more than an hour.

I also saw plenty of new folks show up to matches and not have a problem and receive plenty of match day tutoring, though the completely new to competition shooting group also seemed to be the most likely to get DQ’d.

So, I guess if a newbie had the time to spare and asked me if they should go to an intro class I would recommend it. I also wouldn’t tell someone they should wait around and do a class first if they really wanted to compete.

AMC
08-26-2022, 09:50 PM
Not an option. If I want to shoot at this gun club, I have to take the class. I don't make the rules.

Richmond Hotshots?

ECK
08-26-2022, 10:07 PM
My first match I had two main goals:

1) Don’t do anything that would get me yelled at (i.e. DQ’d)

2) Don’t finish last.

IIRC I didn’t do #1 and barely achieved #2 (I think I was 3rd from last). Suffice to say, my preconceived notions that I could shoot were suddenly exposed to a dose of realism going up against guys who shot USPSA seriously. Fast forward 15 years to present day, quite a few rounds later, I’ve been shooting with sense & purpose and my hobby has a tangible way of tracking progress (classification and how I stack up against the local heat).

One thing I will say for sure is my gun handling (and shade-tree gun smithing skills) got way better as a result. It also meant I had a justifiable reason to drop coin on different guns and gear.

USPSA gave me a reason to experiment and learn different handgun platforms (SAO, striker, DA/SA), and how to churn out reliable and accurate reloads en mass.

3-gun got me into ARs and learning how to set them up the way I wanted, with several niche guns ranging from close & fast to far & accurate.

Old eyes made me make the shift to red dots on pistols and my first Carry Optics gun was a nod to my Timmy leanings with a CZ P10C with RMR and BUIS. Which has since led me to my current pair of CZ Shadow 2’s with SRO as my main comp pistols and a 365XL w/ HS407K as my EDC. There’s also a LTT Beretta RDO in the mix, but I’m still trying to figure out if that was a competition purchase or my inner Timmy speaking. Because of my eyesight I only shoot my 1911s and 2011’s once or twice a year.

Of late, PRS and NRL has captured my interest, and I’m trying to shoot a couple matches intermixed with 2-3 USPSA matches per month. I’m currently in the process of having my first custom rifle built in 6mm GT to replace a fairly stock Ruger in 6.5CM. Its hard to explain, but hitting 1.5-2 MOA size steel plates from weird positions at silly distances while on the clock is oddly satisfying. One thing that has helped a ton with my rifle shooting is competing in NRL22 with a .22LR rifle. Plus .22 is way cheaper so I’m shooting way more and learning how to be efficient with my position building and learning to call wind.

Doc_Glock
08-26-2022, 10:30 PM
The good news: at every taping up, the RO kept calling—in a moderately surprised tone, considering that I was running a G42 in solidarity, “Aplha, Alpha… another two Aplhas… an Alpha and one Charlie…” No misses, no no-shoots on white, no Deltas. I can get hits on what I aim at.

The bad news: glaciers in the Pleistocene move faster than I do

Sounds like we shoot very similarly.

CraigS
08-27-2022, 07:14 AM
I am in my 5th year of idpa. The best part of it is all the crazy shooting positions we get to do. Other than owning your own range on your property or taking a class, gun games let us do what we otherwise are not allowed. One indoor we used to go to absolutely forbid drawing from a holster. Another allowed it after I was watched by an employee and if I was able to get the right most lane so no one was to my right. It is so much fun that my wife just started and shot her 4th idpa match last weekend. I started her on idpa like stages at our Izaak Walton range maybe 8 months ago. Her comment has been that she is SO much more comfortable w/ all the basic gun handling stuff. Indoor all she did was load a mag, put it in the gun, shoot at stationary paper, and remove the empty mag. She is still a bit nervous running from one shooting position to the next w/ the loaded gun so she does a fast walk. She is also blown away how nice everyone is and how much they help her. The most recent match she was finally not at the bottom of the results. 3rd from the bottom had her yeehawwwing as she sat at the PC and looked at scores. I strongly urge everyone here to give idpa or uspsa a try. For idpa all you need is a gun, a holster, a double mag carrier, and 3 mags. Oh and about 100 rnds of ammo and $15-20 entry fee.

JCN
08-27-2022, 07:48 AM
CraigS

This is exactly what some of the hard core defensive people Pooh Poohing competition don’t get.

They say we should be spending the time working on our other skills…

But for me, they come out of different time and emotional budgets.

USPSA comes out of the same budget as watching TV or going to the movies or a bar with a buddy.

Not out of the time spend lifting weights or running on a treadmill.

It’s a great way to meet like minded people, get a little friendly competition and have tangible goals for improvement.

It’s just plain fun.

paherne
08-27-2022, 01:52 PM
Richmond Hotshots?

Yup.

AMC
08-27-2022, 02:42 PM
Yup.

See you ot there eventually. Just started back up after a few years off. Moving to Carry Optics....cause I'm old and blind.

paherne
08-27-2022, 02:49 PM
See you ot there eventually. Just started back up after a few years off. Moving to Carry Optics....cause I'm old and blind.

I used to go to Lake Chabot and shoot the non-sanctioned matches, so this will be a first for me. Guess I'll have to join IDPA.

okie john
08-27-2022, 05:37 PM
A year later, the shoe is on the other foot, and yesterday she brow beat me into doing my first IDPA-type “fun shoot.”

Alas, poor Timmy, I knew thee well.

I shot my first IDPA match like I was hitting a series of live targets. I finished near last because I hadn’t yet realized that the bulk of an IDPA score is time, and that precision can’t improve it.

Like you, I had walked the path of the pure and righteous man. But the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will shepherds the gamers through the valley of darkness for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

Keeping to the path doesn’t mean avoiding games or abandoning the truth, the way, and the light. I focused on being good in the classical sense. I shot fast enough to get A-zone hits and did everything else at warp speed. I shot my carry gun from my carry rig with full-power ammo, which messed with a lot of people’s heads. It didn’t take long until I started to finish ahead of the guys with the fancy gear.

After a while, I started to compete against stage designers. One guy was diabolical—he once set up a stage where you had to carry a dummy of a baby under your strong arm and basically shoot your way out of an area ambush. Then the focus became thinking with a gun rather than shooting, and to show others that it IS possible to shoot well without spending a fortune buying skill. I became able to strike down with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempted to poison and destroy my brothers.

I left IDPA after a match that had taken eight hours on a gorgeous fall Saturday. I shot well, but I realized that it had taken me a full day to get less than one minute of trigger time.

Post COVID, I’m rusty enough that I might consider going back.

Okie John

HCM
08-27-2022, 11:29 PM

Jim Watson
08-28-2022, 04:42 PM

Just to be a nitpicker, us IDPA-ers don't do none of that alpha delta stuff, our targets are numbered.
I suspect that IDPA type shoot was run by USPSA vets but maybe they were tired of the hit factor - stage factor stuff and were scoring "time plus" which is a lot easier to comprehend. Lot of that going around. I shot a wildcat match yesterday with scoring as "two A or B hits to neutralize", pass-fail, add zero or 5 seconds to time.

This is exactly what some of the hard core defensive people Pooh Poohing competition don’t get.
They say we should be spending the time working on our other skills…
But for me, they come out of different time and emotional budgets.
USPSA comes out of the same budget as watching TV or going to the movies or a bar with a buddy.
Not out of the time spend lifting weights or running on a treadmill.
It’s a great way to meet like minded people, get a little friendly competition and have tangible goals for improvement.

This should be tattooed on some people's narrow little foreheads.
Shooting matches combine practice and and recreation. Frequent and relatively cheap.
Lots better for you than watching overpaid jocks throw, kick, or bounce a ball.
Paid or agency training is expensive and not done very often. If you can already put lead on target, you can focus on those "other skills."

Same thing on reloading, we often hear "What is your time spent at the Dillon worth?" Well, what would you be doing if not reloading? Do you have a job that will let you put in paid overtime at will? I have known a few people who could, my Dad's job had that to some extent, but it is not common.

Totem Polar
08-28-2022, 04:59 PM
Just to be a nitpicker, us IDPA-ers don't do none of that alpha delta stuff, our targets are numbered.

You are absolutely correct, it was USPSA. Brain fart on my end.

okie john
08-28-2022, 10:32 PM
Shooting matches combine practice and and recreation. Frequent and relatively cheap.

I found a LOT of value in the stress of shooting in front of other people who, presumably, were also pretty good at what we were all trying to do.

Okie John

CraigS
08-29-2022, 06:46 AM
I found a LOT of value in the stress of shooting in front of other people who, presumably, were also pretty good at what we were all trying to do.

Okie John
Absolutely. Every match sometime in the day, someone will say something like, dang why does my plan go to he11 as soon as I hear the buzzer? When I first started I would see someone standing just looking at the stage and his body would move a little left or right. I finally asked one what he was doing. Visuallizing how I will shoot the stage.

okie john
08-29-2022, 08:46 AM
Absolutely. Every match sometime in the day, someone will say something like, dang why does my plan go to he11 as soon as I hear the buzzer? When I first started I would see someone standing just looking at the stage and his body would move a little left or right. I finally asked one what he was doing. Visuallizing how I will shoot the stage.

Plan your shoot and shoot your plan. The club where I shot IDPA was good about not letting people airgun the course but you could stand there for a minute or two and figure out where you'd need to reload, how you were going to move, etc. I'm comfortable moving (running, etc.) with a loaded pistol in my hand, but that freaks out a lot of people and really slows them down.

Okie John

Jim Watson
08-29-2022, 09:49 AM
If you are at the starting line visualizing for a "minute or two" at LAMR I am going to hurry you up.

I know one USPSA GM who walks through, then at the Make Ready snaps in, loads, takes another sight picture, (I wish they would do that before they load, but few do.) and then stands still and visualizes, meditates or something for 10 seconds. That seems like a long time, but it sure pays off for him.

CraigS
08-30-2022, 07:25 AM
I was referring to guys I see visualizing before it is their turn to actually shoot. At the last match my squad was waiting for another squad to finish a stage so we could shoot it. One guy was doing something while at the line for what seemed like ever. It was bad enough that some catcalls started up. Thankfully he got the picture pretty quickly.

Clusterfrack
08-30-2022, 09:50 AM
Totem Polar, I'm glad to hear it was USPSA. Hit factor scoring is the thing that makes USPSA the best way to train practical shooting. Hit factor is to time-plus as MMA/BJJ is to TMA.

In the real world, we know that it is important to be able to take the appropriate amount of time to be appropriately accurate for any given scenario. That is what hit factor scoring teaches*.

*Have the simulations wounds on your chest healed?

I suspect that IDPA type shoot was run by USPSA vets but maybe they were tired of the hit factor - stage factor stuff and were scoring "time plus" which is a lot easier to comprehend. Lot of that going around. I shot a wildcat match yesterday with scoring as "two A or B hits to neutralize", pass-fail, add zero or 5 seconds to time.

You are absolutely correct, it was USPSA. Brain fart on my end.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-30-2022, 10:02 AM
Loved the OP. I hear you on speed. I don't have it. My goal is to shoot the targets well and reasonably quickly and stroll between positions. Sigh. I'm enjoying the Glock 17 Gen 5 MOS with the SRO, now that I have it set up well. In the last match, of 17 folks, I was 5 th in the number of A's. That's ok. In IDPA, I could usually be pretty close to the top in points down. I would have been better but for two mikes in the black for low shots. Cluster and I have discussed offset with RDS.

I haven't shot in a bit due to some family health things I have to take care of. I might shoot a steel challenge practice session with my Buckmark. I find that very relaxing.

I have to chuckle at some folks, one guy misses three shots as a closer in steel popper and rage quits. Did this twice. Chill out.

Old man yells at cloud - not worried about DA STREET as the counter strike for Bruen eliminates NYS carry. I am supposed to be happy that MD loosened up and HI issue one permit!!

BN
08-30-2022, 11:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ernRfsbX0Yg

Clint Smith on Competition.

Cecil Burch
08-30-2022, 11:51 AM
, but my only comp work has been—back in the day—bowling pin and Paladin stuff (that’s how old I am).

OMG. You are old. I thought I was one of the few remaining dinosaurs that would even get that reference. Those articles on Paladin shoots were generally one of the first things I read when I grabbed a new issue of Combat Handguns.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-30-2022, 12:05 PM
Fun video - opens up the great debate of carry gear vs. game gear. I totally understand the folks who game out for the sport. Personally, I shoot from carry gear but that's just me. Would I carry my G17 SRO - well, I bought it as a game gun and to play RDS. I already had a Gen 4 with irons that I shot in TX IDPA and could carry with a 17 round mag Alternated with a G26 depending on dress floppiness. In NYS, probably wouldn't carry the 17s vs. 26 due to concealment concerns (now almost moot - cloud yelling, yet again). I put BUIS on the SRO gun as it might be a fighting gun and wanted the backup if the optics failed. I had backups on all my optics long arms. Folks told me to ditch the backups on the SRO gun because for competition they are in the way but my great friend and grand master Karl Rehn advised the BUIS for the reasons I mentioned.

I know some other old farts who shoot USPSA for the trigger, SD practice with gun running emphasis. Whatever works - enjoy.

Jim Watson
08-30-2022, 03:43 PM
We shot the Honolulu Hidden Handgun Hoedown on Saturday.
"This is NOT IDPA, this is NOT USPSA."
https://brocksgap.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=Honolulu%20Hidden%20Handgun%20Hoedown

Scoring was "neutralized" with two AB hits or not, +5 sec for FTN.
Contrary to the program, targets were not close, ranges from 5 to 50 yards, frequently in a "sea of no-shoots."

Protege 1 had trouble on the long shots with my loaner G43, but way better off than in a 90+ round match with her usual LCP or 642.
Protege 2 has surpassed me and won the match with his Shield Plus but says he will shoot his short XD with better sights next year.
I was gratified to break into the top half of the standings with a revolver, M67.

Interesting, this was mostly a separate group in that club, not a whole lot of overlap with IDPA or USPSA. They shoot wacky two and three gun matches most of their dates.

BobM
08-30-2022, 08:18 PM
OMG. You are old. I thought I was one of the few remaining dinosaurs that would even get that reference. Those articles on Paladin shoots were generally one of the first things I read when I grabbed a new issue of Combat Handguns.

Somewhere I have a file folder where I saved those articles when I purged the magazines from the house

Totem Polar
09-02-2022, 07:28 PM
I squeaked into the top 10 out of 42 stage runs yesterday, limited. Mostly by hammering the speed, running a G17, and accepting some Charlies as a matter of course. Progress—although I am still light years behind the top 3 shooters. The ringers at this range are quite good.

I’m still hooked.

HAGWE, gang.

Clusterfrack
09-02-2022, 07:39 PM
I squeaked into the top 10 out of 42 stage runs yesterday, limited. Mostly by hammering the speed, running a G17, and accepting some Charlies as a matter of course. Progress—although I am still light years behind the top 3 shooters. The ringers at this range are quite good.

I’m still hooked.

HAGWE, gang.

Excellent! Are you shooting Lim minor? If so, that’s a significant handicap.

Totem Polar
09-02-2022, 07:45 PM
Excellent! Are you shooting Lim minor? If so, that’s a significant handicap.

Yes, Limted minor. I don’t foresee ever crushing the top guys, but i do foresee getting *a lot* better over the next year, doing this each week. Plus, I really like the people.

hickrev
09-03-2022, 03:39 PM
If you’re shooting a match each week, even if it’s just the indoor one-stagers, you will definitely catch up to the top shooters very quickly, especially if you supplement with dry fire.

As a shameless plug, if you wind up getting more of an itch, the indoor range just across the state line from you has an excellent IDPA match one Sunday morning per month. It’s really helped keep my proficiency up ever since I had kids and my available range time dropped from “frequent” to “minimal at best”, hah!

Stephanie B
09-03-2022, 07:53 PM
Suck it, all you Timmies. Gamers rule.

It can be fun. A range here, pre-pandemic, had mano-a-mano steel plate matches with .22s. I almost always lost, but it was fun when I could beat a guy shooting a Ruger Mk.*.* with my six-shot K-22.

Clusterfrack
09-03-2022, 08:06 PM
I just signed up and paid for an Intro to Competition Class at the range where they hold the local IDPA and IPSC matches. I have to wait until December for a slot.

Depends. Some can be quite good. There are lots of nitpicky rules in USPSA and IDPA, but only a few are really necessary for new shooters to be safe and (hopefully) avoid a DQ. The best classes streamline that part, and then focus on how to approach various types of stages and shooting challenges.

Crappy intro courses bombard you with every rule in the book, and leave new shooters feeling like they are back in history class in high school.

paherne
09-04-2022, 12:18 AM
Depends. Some can be quite good. There are lots of nitpicky rules in USPSA and IDPA, but only a few are really necessary for new shooters to be safe and (hopefully) avoid a DQ. The best classes streamline that part, and then focus on how to approach various types of stages and shooting challenges.

Crappy intro courses bombard you with every rule in the book, and leave new shooters feeling like they are back in history class in high school.

I'm a retired cop, CA POST Firearms Instructor and have taken classes in Basic SWAT, K9 handler, K9 evaluator, CQB Instructor, Urban Rifle Instructor, armorer on B92, Glocks, AR 15s, Sniper Rifle Gunsmith, OC/Chemical Agents Instructor, numerous less lethal impact instructor classes, and took multiple classes from ITTS, Yavapai Firearms Academy, LAV Tactical, EAG Tactical, Bennie Cooley, Magpul Dynamics, Presscheck Consulting, and even Tactical Response, (RIP Yeager).

BUT, and it's a big but, I'm not a competition guy. As an aside, I shot one non LE competition, it was an outlaw competition, my first and came in top ten. Everyone was congratulating me for my good performance. Problem was, I was a SWAT bubba at the time and I had a shoot-through that hit a non-shoot. In my mind, I was a complete failure. And, in the real world, I would have been. I've been interviewed by detectives after a shooting and watched as teammates waited to find out if their rounds struck innocents and were going to be possibly charged by the DA. Split times DON'T matter in the real world.

So, I will show up to my class, attempt to be a sponge and soak up as much info as possible and strive to be as humble a learner as I can and make new friends. I am sure I will have fun. I know I will not shoot as well as I would have when I was 25, or 35, but I was working and now I'm just trying to hone my skills and have some fun because I don't have to run towards the sh!t anymore.

So, even if the class sucks, it's better than spending a saturday on the couch and I have to do it to compete.

Totem Polar
09-04-2022, 12:45 AM
If you’re shooting a match each week, even if it’s just the indoor one-stagers, you will definitely catch up to the top shooters very quickly, especially if you supplement with dry fire.

As a shameless plug, if you wind up getting more of an itch, the indoor range just across the state line from you has an excellent IDPA match one Sunday morning per month. It’s really helped keep my proficiency up ever since I had kids and my available range time dropped from “frequent” to “minimal at best”, hah!

I might see you there!

CraigS
09-06-2022, 06:28 AM
Yes, Limted minor. I don’t foresee ever crushing the top guys, but i do foresee getting *a lot* better over the next year, doing this each week. Plus, I really like the people.
This is exactly the point. I've been shooting idpa for 4-5 years. I am usually mid pack in the overall results. I am ecstatic if I get to the top 1/3. Our HD guns are either Beretta 92s or an AR so I shoot in SSP w/ a B92. A month ago I got a 92X Defensive so I could shoot in ESP and start cocked and locked. I am not going to though because our HD pistols are DA/SA. It is so much fun and I have learned so much it is wonderful.

Erick Gelhaus
09-06-2022, 11:56 PM

I had enough competition in my background that I didn’t have to do it. Look forward to hitting matches with you.

awp_101
09-09-2022, 07:00 PM
Honolulu Hidden Handgun Hoedown

There's an album title if I've ever heard one. Preferably something Reverend Horton Heat-ish or outlaw country-ish.

Totem Polar
11-04-2022, 07:12 PM
OMG. I ran last night’s fun shoot with a K-frame. #nogoingback

So long as I can keep stocking .38fmj, I’m doing this for life.

:D:D

:D:D:D

JCN
11-04-2022, 07:54 PM
OMG. I ran last night’s fun shoot with a K-frame. #nogoingback

So long as I can keep stocking .38fmj, I’m doing this for life.

:D:D

:D:D:D

Vids or it didn’t happen!!