PDA

View Full Version : How to get "rolling break" in Gen 4 G19?

MadMax17
09-17-2012, 08:07 PM
So I recently tried the NY1/"-" combo in a G19 Gen 3, and loved it. My question is how do I get that same feel in a Gen 4? My inclination is to take out the Gen 4 trigger bar and replace it with a Gen 3 trigger bar, then just use the NY1 spring and "-" connector as in a Gen 3. From what I can gather by scouring the interwebs is that it's the Gen 4 trigger bar that was causing such a crappy trigger pull (like in Todd's G17 Gen 4 endurance test IIRC). Is this the only culprit? Or does the new Gen 4 trigger housing have something to do with it as well?

Thanks for the help

-Max

JHC
09-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Oh man it seems like each Glock pistol is a one off re trigger feel with different connectors. Have you tried the dot connector yet? LWD minus has been sort of like this with some guns although recall Todd's broke in not so many rounds. He never found the real answer to what you ask.

pr1042
09-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh man it seems like each Glock pistol is a one off re trigger feel with different connectors. Have you tried the dot connector yet? LWD minus has been sort of like this with some guns although recall Todd's broke in not so many rounds. He never found the real answer to what you ask.

Agree with different guns having different results...I see it coming more from the trigger housing than the trigger bars. Reason being, my Gen 3 19 w/ Gen 3 17 trigger bar and dot connector has a completely different feel than my Gen 4 19 w/ Gen 3 17 trigger bar and stock dot connector. Gen 4 still feels the same for the most part but I get a good rolling break on the Gen 3 (which I didn't care for and removed quickly)

Chris Rhines
09-17-2012, 10:27 PM
The most rolling break I've ever done on a Glock is a Gen4 G34, factory '-' connector, and a Wolff reduced power striker spring. But, this pistol might be something of an anomaly.

Another good reason to have two identical pistols is so you can change the trigger in one, then try them side-by-side.

GJM
09-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Recently I replaced the factory minus in a gen 3 RTF 17 with a dot connector and feel it gives me more of a rolling break.

MadMax17
09-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Yeah I tried the Dot Connector, only in dry fire though. That's one of the crappy things about being here in Lawton, no where to (legally) shoot. Sure I could just go to some gas station after midnight and probably end up pulling the trigger, but I dont think I would be paying enough attention to how the trigger feels!!

The dot connector with the standard spring gives a little bit more of a roll than a gen 3 standard set up, but not quite what I'm looking for. I guess I'll just have to try the Gen 3 trigger bar with the NY1 and "-" next time I make it a range, as dry fire just isn't quite the same...

Thanks for the thoughts!

JHC
09-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Yeah I tried the Dot Connector, only in dry fire though. That's one of the crappy things about being here in Lawton, no where to (legally) shoot. Sure I could just go to some gas station after midnight and probably end up pulling the trigger, but I dont think I would be paying enough attention to how the trigger feels!!

The dot connector with the standard spring gives a little bit more of a roll than a gen 3 standard set up, but not quite what I'm looking for. I guess I'll just have to try the Gen 3 trigger bar with the NY1 and "-" next time I make it a range, as dry fire just isn't quite the same...

Thanks for the thoughts!

Yeah I've not found a "rolling" trigger like I grew up with on K frames. I thought there was a range on Sill? Although it sounded like a major PIA to meet rules for transporting on and off post.

NickDrak
09-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I installed one of the "Vogel" trigger kits from GlockTriggers.com in my dedicated IDPA G34. It is about as good as it gets for a rolling break from my experience.

JohnN
09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Do you consider the Vogel trigger to light for CCW use?

NickDrak
09-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Do you consider the Vogel trigger to light for CCW use?

John,

Not at all for me. It just feels like a smoother version of my Gen4 G17 duty pistol's trigger.

I installed the 4.5lb striker spring from the kit in my G34 and the trigger breaks right @ 4.0lbs. The 5.0lb striker spring was right @ 4.5lbs.

JConn
09-20-2012, 07:12 AM
A glock trigger will always be a glock trigger. I did the - /ny1 in my guns for a long time but I found that it was hurting my performance. Now I use the - connector withe stock trigger spring. You can chase the rolling break in a glock all you want but you won't really get there. If you need a rolling break, you should go hk lem.

Just my experience.

ToddG
09-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Oh man it seems like each Glock pistol is a one off re trigger feel with different connectors.

A glock trigger will always be a glock trigger... You can chase the rolling break in a glock all you want but you won't really get there. If you need a rolling break, you should go hk lem.

Herein lies great wisdom.

NickA
09-20-2012, 10:43 AM
A glock trigger will always be a glock trigger. I did the - /ny1 in my guns for a long time but I found that it was hurting my performance. Now I use the - connector withe stock trigger spring. You can chase the rolling break in a glock all you want but you won't really get there. If you need a rolling break, you should go hk lem.

Just my experience.

I just abandoned the -/NY combo a few months ago and saw an immediate improvement in accuracy. Definitely says more about my trigger control than the system itself, but there it is. That said I'm really enjoying trying to master the DA trigger on my 317.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

JHC
09-20-2012, 10:54 AM
I just abandoned the -/NY combo a few months ago and saw an immediate improvement in accuracy. Definitely says more about my trigger control than the system itself, but there it is. That said I'm really enjoying trying to master the DA trigger on my 317.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Oh I'm not sure I'd agree with that. At least not any more so for you than for the world's very best shooters also. I'm now convinced that anybody who is anybody in really fancy shooting has tuned their trigger to some degree. Vogel and Stoeger cases in point. They may not all use a 2lb SA trigger on a 40 oz steel pistol but they tune whatever they're using.

GJM
09-21-2012, 12:42 AM
By chance, this afternoon I did some shooting with a 17 and P30 on an 8 inch steel at 50 yards. Even though I have been shooting a Glock exclusively since mid March, and barely picked up a P30 lately, the LEM trigger was SO much better than the Glock on these targets.

MadMax17
09-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah I've not found a "rolling" trigger like I grew up with on K frames. I thought there was a range on Sill? Although it sounded like a major PIA to meet rules for transporting on and off post.

Yeah a range exists there, but it is a major pain to go through everything just to get weapons registered on post.

Well I guess there is no easy answer, other than to get an HK LEM, though not ready to give up the Glock system yet. Just have to tweak the software then I guess to get through the trigger...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughts.

JHC
09-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeah a range exists there, but it is a major pain to go through everything just to get weapons registered on post.

Well I guess there is no easy answer, other than to get an HK LEM, though not ready to give up the Glock system yet. Just have to tweak the software then I guess to get through the trigger...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughts.

As many folks as there are that shoot Glocks to sick levels of performance; sucking up the financial smash of converting shouldn't be necessary. I'd say follow Defoor and TigerSwan and just go with a minus and shoot like crazy.

JConn
09-22-2012, 09:23 AM
The glock trigger may not "feel" nice like other triggers when you are dry firing but it is a very functional trigger for "combat applications." a trigger does not need to make you weak in the knees every time you touch it in order for you to get effective hits on target. Just because a trigger feels great does not mean it's the right tool for the job. See what you shoot the best on a timer and go from there.

Mr_White
09-22-2012, 01:12 PM
go with a minus and shoot like crazy.

I heartily agree.

GJM
09-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Rogers range size/distance targets, 3x5 at 7 yards, and most "practical" target scenarios, I see no downside and probably upsides to the Glock trigger. When I try to go full speed on two inch dots at 7, 10 yards and further, eight inch steel at 40-60 yards type targets, the Glock trigger feels "not perfection."

MadMax17
09-22-2012, 02:09 PM
I heartily agree.

A minus in the Gen4? Or stick with the stock dot?

JonInWA
10-30-2012, 04:42 PM
I'd suggest installing the "dot" connector, after lubing the contact surfaces between it and the triggerbar with TW25B, and then see how it feels after putting 500-1000 rounds downrange. The connectors, and especially the dot connectors, for some reason, seem to need some burnishing through use to reach their potential.

Best, Jon

kodiakpb
10-30-2012, 06:23 PM
"-" connector in a Gen 4 will be slightly mushy on break.

"." connector in a Gen 3 is almost indistinguishable from a "-" connector in a Gen 3 on break.

MDFA
12-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Gen 4 19 . Connector and a 3rd Gen G17 Smooth Trigger and Bar installed.

I polished all the contact points on the internals. Then put around a thousand rounds through the gun to break everything in and to learn the trigger.

Smooth is better than light for my useage of the pistol.