PDA

View Full Version : Claim about the SIG 516 I found

LittleLebowski
09-17-2012, 03:56 PM
This from an insider. The 516 is a shameless and improved copy of the HK416. It was designed and built by the same people...many of them anyways...that designed and built the HK416. These guys were hired away from HK, paid more, and told to make the best rifle they could with all their experience, and without the working environment they came from. The result is in my opinion, the pinnacle of M4 development, as only the Swiss can make it.

Same source claims LWRC lost their lawsuit against SIG. Any one have actual scoop on these statements?

TCinVA
09-17-2012, 05:05 PM
You can fit what I know about the 416 into a thimble, but I sincerely doubt that Sig USA can build a 416 better than H&K can. I'd love to be proven wrong...

F-Trooper05
09-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Considering that the person who made this claim has absolutely zero operational experience with either rifle, I'm going to take his comments with a grain of salt.

Corvus
09-24-2012, 01:14 AM
Let me guess .... the info came from secret squirrels who called the information in on satellite phones ?

I admit I read his board from time to time but it is more for amusement than information.

Haraise
09-24-2012, 05:30 AM
Let me guess .... the info came from secret squirrels who called the information in on satellite phones ?

I admit I read his board from time to time but it is more for amusement than information.

It's definitely... interesting. Got banned for saying they didn't respond to emails well. Cult of personality, there.

LittleLebowski
09-24-2012, 06:23 AM
SIG has participated in a recent test that will be revealed soon. An undisclosed government group wanted to update its rifles and the SIG SAUER 516 soundly beat several "big name" American AR systems, as well as the HK416 rifles, and decisively in all areas. You heard it here first.

TGS
09-24-2012, 08:48 AM
The part about a designer from the HK416 working for SIG isn't rumor. Here's an excerpt written by Jim Schatz (http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk417-hq/132972-sig-516-hk-416-a.html#post982224) (former HK VP of military programs) on HKPRO about 2 years ago:

There is no one single designer of the HK416 first off. ANYONE who takes credit for that is either smoking dope or rewriting history. An entire team was involved in its development to include user reps, developers, sales staff, actual designers - a lead and his assistants, prototype makers and testers etc. One of the key folks involved now works at SIG Sauer in NH and is the lead on the development of the SIG516. For that reason it will likely be a VERY GOOD rifle and SIG has some surprises for it that I think give it an important leg up on the current known HK416 designs IF SIG can make it work as intended - All I can say on that.

As for the test, he also mentioned that in 2011 the US Army would be evaluating all the currently available carbines....so that may explain the last quote you posted up. FWIW, Jim Schatz isn't exactly an HK hater...he worked there for 20 years, and his posts recalling the "golden days" of HK could bring a tear to your eye. If he says the SIG has a good chance in beating out the HK416, and that the SIG CHF barrel and AGR are great designs/executions, I'd believe him. Throughout that thread, and several times on HKPRO, he's mentioned different things here and there where the HK416 initially sucked and was upgraded upon. So, keep in mind that SIG brings a designer to the table that had a lot of their homework and teething issues already worked out, and that should translate to the 516.

LittleLebowski
09-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Fascinating stuff and thanks for posting.

Chuck Haggard
09-24-2012, 09:35 AM
I'd still be hung up on why stupid things seem to happen to Sigs lately, like my bud's 220 having the slide fly off the gun in the middle of a string of fire while shooting their SWAT qual course.

TGS
09-24-2012, 11:21 AM
I'd still be hung up on why stupid things seem to happen to Sigs lately, like my bud's 220 having the slide fly off the gun in the middle of a string of fire while shooting their SWAT qual course.

:eek:

I'd be worried about customer service/support. The general feeling I get from the gunternet is that SIG's SOP is to deny everything and make counter-accusations when stuff gets sent in.

JV_
09-24-2012, 11:24 AM
...SIG's SOP is to deny everything...IME - S&W too.

archangel
09-24-2012, 01:41 PM
:eek:

I'd be worried about customer service/support. The general feeling I get from the gunternet is that SIG's SOP is to deny everything and make counter-accusations when stuff gets sent in.

That was not my experience ~3 years ago when I had to send a gun back in. My X-five tactical had an issue where if the safety was pushed slightly out of the "off" position (happened a couple times while wearing gloves), when the trigger was pulled the hammer would fall but the gun would not fire.

I called them and explained the issue, they said "send it in," sent me a pre-paid shipping label, and a week later I had the gun back with a new safety and have not been able to reproduce the problem since.

I know that's only a sample of 1, but they're at least capable of good service.

TGS
09-24-2012, 02:08 PM
I know that's only a sample of 1, but they're at least capable of good service.

I would expect any company to be capable of good service. I expect a company to give good service as well...it's not something above and beyond that they should be rewarded for.

I'm much more concerned about the bad service. I've played the chances game of, "awww I'm sure this Kahr will be ok unlike so many bad ones" and rationalize that thought with, "well there's a lot of bad reports on the internet but you only ever hear the bad and not the good, so I'm sure most people end up okay...." I don't play that game anymore. For instance, there's a scout rifle project I'm in the planning stages of. I've already decided which scope I'll get simply because the one company will take care of your problems, whereas the other two manufacturers are generally good quality but is a little more...litigious.....in their CS claims.