PDA

View Full Version : KKM comp care & cleaning

ArgentFix
08-17-2022, 07:34 PM
My first KKM comp had some gnarly buildup after neglecting it for a few thousand rounds and I couldn't find an easy, non-destructive way to clean it so I'm starting over with a fresh one. KKM website says their comp is anodized aluminum and I can gouge it fairly easily with a dental pick, pocket knife, even a nail. So I'm hesitant to use general internet advice involving harsh chemicals and scraping. I did try swabbing it liberally with case lube to prevent buildup but that didn't do much, if anything. Surely several people here use this same comp so what has worked for you? Do I even need to clean it or just let it blow chunks occasionally to clean itself? Does buildup affect accuracy?

Default.mp3
08-17-2022, 08:03 PM
FWIW, I was able to clean my Zev Pro Comp V2s with a dental pick without too much gouging; the only real scrapes were what pierced the Cerakote (I was quite surprised it hadn't been sandblasted off by the muzzle blast, TBH). I did try to soften it up with some soaking in Slip 2000 725, seemed to help a bit.

Disappointing to hear that your KKM was so easy to damage.

spyderco monkey
08-17-2022, 08:24 PM
I'd try some baby wipes and wooden shish kebab skewers. I've found those quite effective at removing carbon fouling without scratching (not on a KKM but other projects.)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71iVrmsw43L._SL1500_.jpg

Rub baby wipes over the surface, which tends to wipe off / soften the carbon, then gently scrape off the rest with the skewers.

Evil_Ed
08-18-2022, 06:34 AM
Ultrasonic cleaner with aluminum-safe cleaning agents in it?

Super77
08-18-2022, 07:24 AM
Anything made of steel is going to be able to gouge anodized aluminum. Steel is harder than aluminum. It’s just the reality of the material, not a deficiency of the comp.

Chemistry, wood, and plastic are your best bet. A good long soak in Slip 2000 Carbon Killer will make scraping a lot easier the next day. That stuff works well and is reuseable. Just put it in a container that is big enough for the whole slide, like a cleaned out peanut butter jar, and pour in enough to cover the comp, and you can reuse it for a long time.

It’s worth it to me to use only TMJ and JHPs in comped guns to cut down on lead scraping and exposure.

Just a note, but any plastic brush is going to aerosolize and fling hazmat all over the place. The rare times I use those it’s outside away from the kids play area. Also, nylon brushes are pretty abrasive. They can start to wear down anodizing over time. Not that big a deal, but something to be aware of.

That skewer idea is great, I’m going to start using those myself. Popsicle sticks work well too.if you break them you get little scrapey splinters that dig into the carbon.

Exiledviking
08-18-2022, 03:38 PM
I've read on another forum that features a lot of compensated pistols that an oil that penetrates like Kroil or Ballistol will work well if the comp is left coated with it for 24 or more hours. Sounds like the same idea as the Slip 2000 carbon killer above.

Casey
08-19-2022, 05:58 PM
Good luck! I tried Carbon Killer and brass brushes on a PMM comp which I similarly neglected. Didn't work too well. I ended up turning to a ball-end cutter in a Dremel and being as careful as possible, though I still ended up messing up the finish in several places.

On my research journey I saw similar recommendations for case lube and also FrogLube. Case lube didn't seem to do much and about the time I started to test out FrogLube, I switched platforms and haven't been shooting anything with a comp recently.

Cambo
08-24-2022, 08:54 AM
I've wrestling with putting comps on my CZ pistols, this thread has been helpful in keeping from doing it. I have NO interest in extra cleaning work.

Default.mp3
08-24-2022, 10:36 AM
I've wrestling with putting comps on my CZ pistols, this thread has been helpful in keeping from doing it. I have NO interest in extra cleaning work.I've only cleaned my comps twice, and that's because I have two guns that both have reached a point where it just seemed like a good idea to clean them, rather than any actual need to (>7k rounds shot per comp). It's not that big a deal.

Cambo
08-24-2022, 11:03 AM
I've only cleaned my comps twice, and that's because I have two guns that both have reached a point where it just seemed like a good idea to clean them, rather than any actual need to (>7k rounds shot per comp). It's not that big a deal.

Good to know. I've had a couple of comped guns before (EAA Witnesses), and it always bothered me that build up was accruing.

ArgentFix
08-24-2022, 10:28 PM
I've only cleaned my comps twice, and that's because I have two guns that both have reached a point where it just seemed like a good idea to clean them, rather than any actual need to (>7k rounds shot per comp). It's not that big a deal.

If the KKM comp functions usefully without maintenance to 7k rounds or beyond it might not be worth cleaning at all, eh? It's $75 compared to how much in time, effort, material, 7k+ ammo? I hate to be wasteful but I do like to be practical.