PDA

View Full Version : New Gamer

Odin Bravo One
09-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Took my awesome gamer rig (see gallery) to an IPSC match in NW Arkansas this weekend, and met a great group of shooters, and had a pretty decent time. Certainly it is a slower pace of shooting than I prefer, but it beats staring at the walls in my hotel room 24 weekends a year. This was a pleasant surprise, in light of two IDPA matches I had attended, 200+ miles apart where the shooters were a little too big for their britches, who didn't even hide behind the rule book, just babbled on about the "real world" and "real gunfights"..................and couldn't shoot all that great to boot.

I squaded with a couple of DOE instructors, and some other pretty legit shooters. We had all levels of ability and experience from what I guessed to be about a 10 year old girl running a pink tiger striped G34, to old timers with one foot in the grave and one on a banana peel shooting JMB's gift to the shooting world. I played my rookie card, and the experienced guys were more than happy to help talk me through the various hurdles. Well, for the first stage anyway. Guess the rookie card expired after I was all "A" zones with the fastest time.

I won't join the travelling circuit, and won't win any trophies, but I'll keep coming back to this group, and the local matches they host. Nice ranges, good folks, easy to have fun and burn a little powder with people from all walks of life, many of whom I would never have any interaction with. Not at all convinced I needed to buy an Open Class gun for this. In fact, I know that I didn't. But it's not for sale just yet. As much as I believe in "train like you fight", I'm out to have fun, not train, and make no mistake.....IPSC is NOT training, regardless of what class you shoot.

Thanks to those members here (JV, Caleb, and the others) who answered my ridiculous emails and PMs about random match related stuff. 22 years as a professional gun handler, and it took this long to find a place in the US where shooting was actually fun.

Lomshek
09-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Sean, If you're willing to drive 2 hours north of Fayetteville we have a pretty good group that shoots USPSA on the first Sunday of each month just north of Pittsburg, KS. I've heard there are some good groups in the NW AR area too. Mind sharing the name of the club/range?

Odin Bravo One
09-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Old Fort Gun Club near Ft. Smith. We had a decent sized group that showed up from Little Rock today.

And I am willing to make the drive. I am in Ft. Smith, so an hour south of Fayetteville, but I'll drive to wherever as long as someone else is paying for gas. Which they are. I am working on getting more guns, ammo, and gear down here to open up various gaming options. If I am not working, then I am bored to tears, and will drive 6 hours round trip to shoot.

Maybe this is more offline, but if you shoot me the club info in Kansas, I'll add it to my list and potential dates to my calendar.

LittleLebowski
09-17-2012, 08:48 AM
If going through Fayetteville/Springdale area, be sure to visit the AQ restaurant (http://www.aqchickenhouse.net/).

jetfire
09-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Glad you made it out to a match. I generally have a blast shooting USPSA, because I like the freestyle problem solving. "Here's a stage, solve it" appeals to me.

JMS
09-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I cut my teeth on competitive events at a "diet" IDPA event run at a local indoor range this past Wednesday (2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month). Only 4 stages, and fairly simple ones to boot, but it was enough for me to dip my toe. Random observations: I'm 42, and was the youngest one on my squad...by a decade; I thought there'd be more of a mixed bag. I was also the only one that drew from concealment.

That last was the only real departure from the rulebook I saw; they stayed pretty true to it, otherwise, particularly in regard to conduct-of-fire and penalties. I had to ditch my usual AIWB holster, of course, and dig out my Minotaur...which I haven't worn or practiced with in nearly a year....THAT was a hoot. ;)

Definitely had a good time, met a couple of decent cats, went away knowing that I'd done well despite my jitters. Turns out that I placed 1st, out of 14; not that big a field, but doing that by a fair margin in spite of everybody else shooting slick....? I'll take it. :D

Will definitely be doing that again, and now know that I should research swimming in a bigger pond...whatever local official matches I can find, KSTG, and the like.

LittleLebowski
09-17-2012, 01:02 PM
I cut my teeth on competitive events at a "diet" IDPA event run at a local indoor range this past Wednesday (2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month). Only 4 stages, and fairly simple ones to boot, but it was enough for me to dip my toe. Random observations: I'm 42, and was the youngest one on my squad...by a decade; I thought there'd be more of a mixed bag. I was also the only one that drew from concealment.

That last was the only real departure from the rulebook I saw; they stayed pretty true to it, otherwise, particularly in regard to conduct-of-fire and penalties. I had to ditch my usual AIWB holster, of course, and dig out my Minotaur...which I haven't worn or practiced with in nearly a year....THAT was a hoot. ;)

Definitely had a good time, met a couple of decent cats, went away knowing that I'd done well despite my jitters. Turns out that I placed 1st, out of 14; not that big a field, but doing that by a fair margin in spite of everybody else shooting slick....? I'll take it. :D

Will definitely be doing that again, and now know that I should research swimming in a bigger pond...whatever local official matches I can find, KSTG, and the like.

Keep me updated if you run across anything closer to my AO.

TheRoland
09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
So how'd you do in the end? Anything you found especially hard or easy, given your background?

Odin Bravo One
09-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Me?

The thing I found the hardest was to not tune up those standing around while the same 4 people taped and re-set the stages between shooters. But I give two of them a pass. That they didn't die during the match was good enough for me.

As for the shooting stuff, there was nothing out there that was terribly challenging. I guess the swinging Texas Star was semi-difficult as it took me 8 rounds to finish it. But other than that, there was nothing out of the ordinary, or so overly challenging that I couldn't perform at an acceptable (to me) level. I could have used one more mag pouch, but that is neither here nor there. I guess the truly hard part was sorting out the scoring. I can shoot as many as I want on this stage, and only the exact rounds called for on the next. Made no sense to me, and they called them by name (Limited Vickers, Comstock, etc) and since I don't know them, I just winged it by watching what other shooters were doing. Of course, that was somewhat of blind leading the blind.

I don't know what the results were, pretty sure they are still figuring them out. I'll let you know when I know.

I know I wasn't first, and I know I wasn't last. Somewhere in between. I am guessing top 10 or 15 of about 65 shooters. I had a few procedural/rule penalties, so I am sure that brought me down as well.

GJM
09-17-2012, 10:29 PM
You going full gamer -- special outfit, lycra shirt, etc.? :)

Odin Bravo One
09-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Nah, there were plenty of dudes and dudettes with the collared shirts filled with sponsor names, and gun club names, with matching shorts and color coordinated shoes/hiking boots.

A pair of Kuhl or Carhart jeans, and a T-shirt is about as far as I can go. I mean, sure it will probably be a gun related T-Shirt, and probably a gun related ball cap for sunny or rainy days (no hair), but that's it. I am considering doing the unthinkable and shooting the next match production division with my work belt.

GJM
09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
With Kuhl, Vertx and Mountain Khaki pants you can cover about everything!

Odin Bravo One
09-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I know I wasn't first, and I know I wasn't last. Somewhere in between. I am guessing top 10 or 15 of about 65 shooters. I had a few procedural/rule penalties, so I am sure that brought me down as well.

I was 16th. My guess was off by one. Procedural errors/violations killed me on a couple of stages. I need to learn the rules and scoring stuff a little better. Those errors alone would have put me in the top ten had I not screwed them up.

I'll likely shoot production from now on, and see if I can't get some top ten finishes. I do tend to shoot a DA/SA Sig better than most anything else I touch.

Steel Challenge is the next match I will be local for, and I will plan on shooting it production with work gear. We shall see how I measure up.

Slavex
09-21-2012, 02:12 AM
A slower pace? What the hell do you shoot that's faster paced than an Open gun in IPSC?
Welcome to the game though, the rules, while occasionally confusing, can pretty much be a single stage experience. By that I mean, pay close attention to the stage briefing, what it says you can and can't do, and just do that on each stage. If you have any questions, ask em all of the RO and your squad mates, the more the better ;-)

Odin Bravo One
09-21-2012, 02:35 AM
A slower pace? What the hell do you shoot that's faster paced than an Open gun in IPSC?

I was referring to the pace of the shooting event, not the pace of the shooting itself. Figure I spent about 7 hours total, 2 hours the day prior helping set up, 4 hours at the match, and an hour to help tear down. I shot for about 150 seconds total during those 7 hours.

In 7 hours with a range to myself, and just a pistol, I can usually empty an ammo can.

But still, it was fun, friendly, and really beats sitting in my hotel room. I joined the gun club where the matches are hosted so I can go shoot at my pace, shoot whenever I want, and also practice for the various stages. Apparently they post them on the internet prior to the match so people can practice. They also host other games, such as Steel Challenge, Multi-Gun, and Cowboy Action which I am going to try to shoot soon. Just hope they let me in without boots or a hat! They also have shotgun games, which I like to participate in. The facility is really nice, and there is enough room that even when it is "busy", I can have a 25 yard by 20 yard bay to myself. If I want steel, I just pull my truck over to the trailer, load it up, and haul it to my bay. Then return it when I am done.

For $10 per month......it is tough to beat.

I also joined USPSA and Steel Challenge so I could keep the club people happy for the couple of years I am here.

Slavex
09-21-2012, 05:46 AM
Yeah when you figure the time we actually spend shooting at a match, I think the only sport that spends less time actually doing the sport is top fuel drag racing. If you figure a world Shoot has 36 stages and let's say they are all long courses (which they aren't, that whole 3 2 1 sillineas) and say 20 seconds each, you have 12 minutes of shooting over 6 days, plus travel. Realistically its about half that time or less or really. But it is a ton of fun, especially when you have a good squad. Stages can suck, but if you have good guys to shoot with it makes all the difference.
Sounds like a dream range, good pricing for member too.

Lomshek
09-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Broke my collarbone on a Sunday afternoon bicycle ride with some friends and forgot to re-check this thread. The vicodin has been working. :confused:

Our club is Bone Creek Gun Club (http://bonecreekgunclub.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=28). The link will take you to our map page. We're 15 miles north of Pittsburg, KS just off Hwy 69. If you find a USPSA page on our website it is out of date and has incorrect info about our matches. Trying to get our web guy to correct that.

Next two matches are Oct 7th & Nov 4th. I think the November one will be a USPSA classifier with 6 stages if I can get on the ball.

Matches always start at 10 AM and normally we are done by 1:30 PM. Typically we have 5 stages and shoot 125 - 175 rounds total. We're always over 100 rounds and under 200 rounds.

We usually have 20 - 30 shooters and split into 2 or 3 squads depending on numbers that day.

Most of our shooters are LTD or Production with a few 1911 dinosaurs :D and open gun gamers. Anything USPSA legal is welcome (USPSA sanctioned club) and these matches are always open to the public. Match fee is $15 and a hearty handshake is the prize.

Our range is 15 miles from civilization and has porta-potties and no running water. If you need it, bring it. We do have shade for all but two stages and a roof over our main bay ready line area. In case of constant rain the match will be canceled because part of the range will be under water. I would call the threshold more than 2" of rain in the last 24 hours. If in doubt text my cell to verify go or no-go since phone reception can be spotty and voice calls don't always work if I'm out and about. 620-two-four-nine-O-O-3-7 (trying to confuse the spambots).

If your schedule works out there is also a USPSA club in Lamar, Missouri (http://www.lamargunclub.com/drivingdirections.html) that has a match on the Second Sunday of each month. They are 30 miles north of Joplin, MO. That club is run by a master or GM (not sure which) USPSA shooter and is top notch by all accounts. I haven't been over yet but a number of my club's shooters have and they're impressed.

I have shot at an indoor USPSA club in Tontitown, AR (north edge of Fayetteville) that has a Monday night match. They were well run too. Don't have any info for them but I'm sure it's out there.

LittleLebowski
09-22-2012, 05:30 AM
Get some Italian food if you visit Tontitown. Old Italian settlement.

ToddG
09-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Broke my collarbone on a Sunday afternoon bicycle ride with some friends ...

Dude! Hope you're feeling better and heal up fast! Stay safe...

Lomshek
09-22-2012, 08:09 PM
At least it was my secondary hand (no such thing as a weak hand LOL). I can still draw and fire SHO but I'd hate to try and maneuver.

I always told my cycling friends with less experience that if they wrecked me it was my own fault for not paying attention and it finally happened after 12 years of training newbies in the art of pacelining. A quick tap of the brakes and a swerve and my front wheel was knocked out from under me. Few more weeks and I'll be good as new with a new bump to show for it. Unfortunately this is my third collarbone in 30 years so I know the drill.

Tamara
09-22-2012, 09:01 PM
They also host other games, such as Steel Challenge, Multi-Gun, and Cowboy Action which I am going to try to shoot soon.

Stay away from Multi-Gun! I shot that CTC 3-Gun match with a borrowed shotgun and after that, it was either buy my own gamer shotgun or find a methadone clinic... :o

Alaskapopo
09-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Stay away from Multi-Gun! I shot that CTC 3-Gun match with a borrowed shotgun and after that, it was either buy my own gamer shotgun or find a methadone clinic... :o

Yep three gun is like a drug totally addicting.
Pat

Chris Rhines
09-23-2012, 10:14 AM

All the cool kids are shooting multigun. Don't you want to be cool?

I'll even let you shoot the first match for free... : D

Odin Bravo One
09-23-2012, 04:09 PM
I have the guns for multi gun, but sticking to pistol and cowboy action for now. It is just a phase after all, and will end when my time in AR is over.

Tamara
09-23-2012, 05:56 PM
...sticking to... cowboy action for now.

No dress-up (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5401-Dream-Cover-Garment&p=92015&viewfull=1#post92015). :D

(That, and I can just tell that SASS has "money sink" written all over it... :o )

Odin Bravo One
09-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah, after a little more research, SASS is going to get spendy. Beyond what I am willing to spend that is.

The club where I would shoot requires lead bullets, loaded to 1000fps or less. I have two Vaquero's in .357, a Marlin 1894 in .357, and a SxS 12 gauge that would have been great. But I get free .357 ammo, and I am not about to buy new dies, lead bullets, etc. to shoot a downloaded, anemic, pathetic excuse for a bullet version of those guns. I may have crossed over into being a gamer temporarily, but I still want to shoot big boy cartridges.

And I don't/won't wear a hat or cowboy boots.

Alaskapopo
09-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Cowboy action looks fun but the dress up and the fact I would have to buy 4 more guns and the fact I have barely enough time as it is means I probably won't do it until I am retired. Between three gun, USPSA, IDPA and Steel Challenge I just don't have time for another shooting sport.
Pat

Odin Bravo One
09-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Yeah, I talked to some of the SASS guys at the club, and they were pretty adamant that after the first couple (meaning 2) of matches, they expect you to join the SASS (ok, that part is easy enough), and be in period attire, etc. The hat alone was a deal breaker for me, then add the boots and clothes? No way. But the real deal breaker was the lead bullets at less than 1000fps. I can't justify spending that kind of money on a once per month event, that I would only be doing for 20-24 months, of which, figure I would be missing at least 1/3rd of the matches due to scheduling conflicts.

Guess I can look into multi-gun. I have all the guns I need for that game as well. Thinking of doing "Heavy Metal" division. Finally have an excuse to use the Hk45, got the Larue Pred (if I ever get it back from a certain forum member who has it on loan and says it's not coming back), and I am picking up a Winchester Super X3 this weekend, which will free up my SX2 for the games, but still leaves me a shotgun for sporting clays.

The main limitations I have in this gamer gig is moving weapons, ammo, and equipment to Arkansas and back. Wish this range and these people were closer to my house.

LittleLebowski
09-26-2012, 05:06 AM
I don't get the period attire thing.

Mr_White
09-26-2012, 10:14 AM
For me it depends on which period. I wouldn't wear the cowboy stuff either, but I'd consider dressing for a 1980s or 1970s match. Or maybe I'd dress like I were from the future for a sci-fi match.

LittleLebowski
09-26-2012, 10:35 AM
For me it depends on which period. I wouldn't wear the cowboy stuff either, but I'd consider dressing for a 1980s or 1970s match. Or maybe I'd dress like I were from the future for a sci-fi match.

Definitely would be cool to do an 80's style match.

NickA
09-26-2012, 10:41 AM
IIRC somewhere there's a group that does '20's and '30's themed matches, zoot suits and all.
So what would an '80's match entail, parachute pants? :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Mr_White
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I would haul a ghetto blaster (cassette tape of course) around to each stage.

LittleLebowski
09-26-2012, 11:01 AM
I would haul a ghetto blaster (cassette tape of course) around to each stage.

AND cardboard to bust some fresh moves?!

Mr_White
09-26-2012, 11:11 AM
AND cardboard to bust some fresh moves?!

Yeah I almost said 'and a sheet of cardboard' but then I would be pressured to breakdance and since I can't breakdance it would be very embarrassing. But maybe someone else would use the cardboard if they heard Herbie Hancock on the tape deck. Kind of a long shot but you never know.

orionz06
09-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Definitely would be cool to do an 80's style match.

I still need to acquire a denim vest to put all of my metal patches I have been accumulating.

JAD
09-26-2012, 11:41 AM
metal patches
I presume you mean buttons, or 'flair.'
http://home.earthlink.net/~gsmithhart5/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/flair.jpg

orionz06
09-26-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/vest5.jpg

Kyle Reese
09-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Definitely needs some of this!

BN
09-26-2012, 12:49 PM
IIRC somewhere there's a group that does '20's and '30's themed matches, zoot suits and all.
So what would an '80's match entail, parachute pants? :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Zoot Shooters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w72CKogD_8I

An 80's match would be leisure suits and platform shoes. :)

I used to shoot some CAS. I wore old work shoes, blue jeans and a flannel shirt. You don't have to wear a hat. Local matches aren't as strict about dress, but bigger matches are more about costumes than shooting. :confused:

JAD
09-26-2012, 12:54 PM
(orizon's metal vest
-- My suggestion was more bullet resistant.