PDA

View Full Version : New shooters, SERPAs and matches

Cowtown44
09-16-2012, 06:17 PM
I see a lot of newer/novice shooters at matches using SERPAs. Should I inform them of the POTENTIAL dangers of the holster or let sleeping dogs lie?

VolGrad
09-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I see a lot of newer/novice shooters at matches using SERPAs. Should I inform them of the POTENTIAL dangers of the holster or let sleeping dogs lie?
Let it go unless you know them. New shooters at matches generally have so many people throwing unsolicited advice their way I figure it would be lost anyway.

C45P312
09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
I second VolGrad too. Unless you build a report with them, they might just blow it off.

This is the main reason why I wear body armor to these types of events. If there is any dynamic shooting involved, I try to always wear the appropriate protection whether its carbine courses, local IDPA club matches, tactical shotgun match, shoot house stuff, etc etc.

People always look at me weird or think I'm trying to be all airsoft Dealt Team 6. I just brush it off. That's why there is concealable armor too!

TheRoland
09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
This is the main reason why I wear body armor to these types of events. If there is any dynamic shooting involved, I try to always wear the appropriate protection whether its carbine courses, local IDPA club matches, tactical shotgun match, shoot house stuff, etc etc.

People always look at me weird or think I'm trying to be all airsoft Dealt Team 6. I just brush it off. That's why there is concealable armor too!

Shoot houses, sure. Rifle and shotgun ricochets, OK. But has anyone ever shot anyone (other than themselves) at a pistol match? Especially when dealing with holster issues? This might be a derail, sorry.

I don't say anything unless I see finger-placement issues that are egregious enough that I can see them.

abu fitna
09-18-2012, 08:38 PM
I will say when dealing with a number of new shooters (as opposed to one or a few), the chances of an issue do give one enough pause with some groups to merit a second look at armor. At the least, a low profile plate carrier might be in order, especially if one is encountering this on a frequent basis. When working with local and third country nationals overseas, I almost never stepped into a training environment without armor, even with trusted (or at least vetted) counterparts. I will also assess each new class I take, or match I shoot, based on the other shooters present. I have no hesitation about breaking out the armor from the back of the truck if the group has any observable characteristics of concern in the initial impression, or even halfway through the day based on performance (and the RO / instructor's competency).

When the difference between a good match, and a potential gsw, is a matter of angle and discipline, new shooters may just make the kind of mistake that raises concern. Turning, movement with a weapon, getting in and out of cover positions, operating in vehicles, etc. are all common enough even in club matches - and many shooters may have never encountered this before. Thankfully, most events I frequent have a good percentage of experienced shooters both on the shoulder and behind the line to ensure a higher degree of confidence. (And I quit shooting steel at CQB ranges in old tire kill houses....)

VolGrad
09-19-2012, 06:59 AM
I don't say anything unless I see finger-placement issues that are egregious enough that I can see them.I'll call out a safety violation in a heartbeat. That's legit. I just don't bother with people's equipment unless they ask.
I have no hesitation about breaking out the armor from the back of the truck if the group has any observable characteristics of concern in the initial impression, or even halfway through the day based on performance (and the RO / instructor's competency).Not me. If it's bad enough I think I need body armor I'm packing it in. I'll just leave and call it a day.