PDA

View Full Version : 2022 .22 Showdown

LockedBreech
08-02-2022, 11:20 AM
As much as it embarrasses me to admit, ever since I sold my Beretta Bobcat and gifted my brother my Ruger SR22, I have been without a .22LR training pistol for several years. My recent range trips have led me to the reluctant conclusion that the lack of a .22 trainer combined with the current price of ammo is hurting my handgun fundamentals a bit. Additionally, my fiancée would benefit because I am teaching her to shoot almost from scratch and I don't know that anything I could tell her would benefit her as much as a few long range sessions practicing low-recoil fundamentals.

In the time since I last had a .22LR pistol, the amount of options is....rather staggering, as evidenced by lots of individual threads about .22 options. Here is my understanding of the best current candidates:

1.) Glock 44. This one makes the most sense off the bat. My work, home, and travel pistols are a pair of G17s and a G19. Training with a Glock seems like a no-brainer. But I have heard mixed results on reliability/quality.

2.) Sig P322. We really like our M17 and P365, so this one also makes sense. However, it's new. I am leery of new designs especially from Sig. Might want to wait a bit longer.

3.) Beretta M9-22. Everyone says these are amazing and I love Berettas, but reluctantly I think it's a bad choice given that all my defensive-use guns these days are strikers.

Runner-ups:

4.) Ruger SR-22. It's also a hammer-fired gun but I remember it being a very easy shooter and very reliable.

5.) M&P .22. Nobody talks about these. Do they suck? I carry an M&P Shield Plus so it makes a degree of sense for training.

Are there options I'm forgetting to consider? Should I wait for the Sig to mature? Quit overthinking it and get the Glock? For a plinking/training gun this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Duces Tecum
08-02-2022, 11:30 AM
1.) Glock 44. This one makes the most sense off the bat. My work, home, and travel pistols are a pair of G17s and a G19. Training with a Glock seems like a no-brainer. But I have heard mixed results on reliability/quality.

It's a trainer. Do you really want high reliability?

Duces

JonInWA
08-02-2022, 11:31 AM
I don't have one, but off the cuff I'd endorse the Beretta M22/.22 92 conversion kit. The DA/ DA/SA trigger skills are transferrable in a beneficial way to your striker fired systems.

Alternatively, the Glock G44 would seem to be the most viable for you.

Best, Jon

Clusterfrack
08-02-2022, 12:02 PM
I'm impressed with the Glock 44. The mags are actually not crappy flimsy sheet metal, and reliability seems better than any .22 I've used. It feels like a real gun, not a toy.

If I didn't already have two Ruger Mark3s with a bunch of reliability enhancements, I'd buy a G44--except for the lack of RDS mounting.

M&P .22: a buddy has one, and there was a problem with and the iron sight channel cracking in the aluminum slide. I think he glued it with epoxy I wasn't impressed, but that's how I feel about all M&Ps.

Ruger SR 22: this looks really cool. I kind of want one because TDA... Anyone have experience with it?

But why don't any of these have RDS mounting options? If that's a concern, and it sure is for me, the Mark4 22/45 is still the best option IMO:
https://www.ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/specSheets/43927.html
https://www.ruger.com/productImages/43927/detail/1.jpg

Duelist
08-02-2022, 12:20 PM
Get the G44. There’s a reason it seems like a no-brainer: quit overthinking it and get it done.

JHC
08-02-2022, 12:33 PM
I bought an M&P Compact .22 last year and like it pretty much. I bought it for the sweet spot form factor. I'm way more accurate with it than I expected, being able to live in the B8 black at 25 with routine effort. That's not a lay up for me no more.
If the mags gets sandy/dirty they don't want to seat/lock but that learnt me to keep them out of the sand/dirt.

Other than that it's run really well with the several loads I've used. I'd shoot it more but for how much I love shooting my 317.

But the P322 seems like the state of the art today and I am sorely tempted to add one of those. Another sweet spot size-wize IMO.

We also have a "plum" colored SR22 bought for a song. It's another nice little shooter but I've never gotten near the precision out of it that I have with the M&P.

Moylan
08-02-2022, 12:38 PM
FWIW, Chris Baker wasn't super impressed with the Sig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZKoyjU5Ws

I have the Glock 44 and the Ruger SR22 and they are both outstanding pistols. I'm a TDA shooter, but the Ruger in no real sense serves as a trainer for my P07. It's more a gun for teaching newbies. In the OP's situation, I would buy the Glock today.

Pepper
08-02-2022, 12:40 PM
There is the FN 502 Tactical too. I picked one up a few months ago and have been happy with it. I added a Holosun 507k and am using it to get some time on a dot.

1Rangemaster
08-02-2022, 12:52 PM
I'm in the Glock camp. I have bought several G44s for myself and daughters. A fairly consistent companion is a GEN5 19MOS, so the similarities are a plus. I have also watched thousands of rounds go through G44s at a local range during "fam fire". I have seen occasional failures to fire; I think that's pretty much ammo.
My examples like 37 to 40 grain "full power"-CCI usually.
No easy way to mount a red dot; have to buy an frame mount. GLOCK sights are not my favorite; I CAREFULLY installed Ameriglo fiber optic.
My other suggestion (or addition) would be to get a .22 revolver with good sights(LCRx or S&W?). Learning to work the DA trigger builds some hand strength and helps one to learn "steer" the sights and hike working the trigger(Bill Rogers).
Best wishes in y'all's journey

okie john
08-02-2022, 12:59 PM
I use a training pistol only to teach people how to shoot and to reveal flaws in my shooting technique. I'm looking for:

Extreme accuracy, to better reveal any flaws in any part of my technique.
A good trigger, to better reveal flaws in my trigger press.
Light or non-existent recoil, to not distract the shooter from the fundamentals of marksmanship.
For these reason, the trainer doesn’t have to mimic my serious guns. Revolvers and air pistols work just fine. Adjustable sights are nice because they let you center the group easily, but they're not essential. Reliability is nice because it reduces distractions from actual shooting technique, but it's not high on the list, plus most modern 22s are pretty reliable if they're properly lubricated.

I don't use a training pistol to teach people how to clear malfunctions for a couple of reasons. First, the lack of recoil is often the first indication that you have a malfunction in a service pistol. Second, the motions you use to clear service-pistol malfunctions don't necessarily work with the malfunctions you get in a 22, even if the two pistols are nominally the same. The extractors are different (and usually less reliable in the 22), the space around the breech is smaller, etc. A handful of snap caps is a better way to train on clearing malfunctions in a service pistol.

With all of that in mind, my trainer is a Ruger Mk II semi-auto that got the bullseye treatment from Clark Custom Guns back in the 1980s. It’s very similar to this one, minus the custom grips:

The muzzle break was part of the deal. I would not have paid extra for it.

Okie John

Navin Johnson
08-02-2022, 01:18 PM
M&p compact 22 is good heard full size is not

Have the compact and a G44

MP compact is very reliable and very accurate.

The G 44 is starting to run better but not as accurate will likely get rid of it and get another M&P compact

TicTacticalTimmy
08-02-2022, 02:33 PM
For me the Ruger 22/45 mkiv is still the best option. Its not a perfect trainer in that the trigger, manual of arms, and grip angle do not match my serious use handguns, but nonetheless its pretty great for a number of different things.
-It has outstanding precision (7" at 100yds with mini mags)
-can easily take any red dot (i use the madmaccs center mount)
-is really reliable for a 22lr
-lots of aftermarket parts
-can safely dry fire as much as you want
-great American company with great customer service

On the Beretta 22 conversion, my own experience is it is nearly worthless. I have to use an 18lb hammer spring to get it to reliably ignite Federal primers. The trigger with an 18lb spring is so different (i.e. crappy) compared to whatever spring my LTT comes with, its like a totally different gun. And for all that the reliability is still iffy and it cant take a red dot.

45dotACP
08-02-2022, 02:42 PM
Unless you are running a TDA, the m9-22 doesn't make sense.

That said, mine is extraordinarily accurate and reliable. The trigger is much heavier than the LTT tricked out Berettas, but it still is very easy to shoot

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

walker2713
08-02-2022, 03:21 PM
I’ve had a Ruger Mark II for years, and though heavy, it been reliable and Ive added a RDS on a pic rail….

Bought a Sig P322 a few months ago and have about 1500 rounds through it. It’s had a few bobbles…but once I learned about how to load the cartridges, it’s very reliable and fun to shoot…has a 20 round magazine and easy to add the 507k.

I don’t buy Taurus guns…been there, done that…..but I’ve heard good things about their TX22.

George

spyderco monkey
08-02-2022, 04:15 PM
I just hit 1000rds with my G44, purchased 2 months ago.

850rd Aguila Super Extra HV
100rd CCI standard
50rd Aguila subsonic

I have not had a single malfunction using the factory G44 mags. IÂ’ve also fired 90rds through 3x Promags loaded to 15rd, and they also worked flawlessly (but more testing is needed.)

I did a improvised break in prior to firing; I donÂ’t know if it helped but it didnÂ’t hurt.

G44 Break in:
-Hand cycled slide 300x
-Left slide locked back overnight
-Magazine spring cycled up and down 50x
-Mags left loaded overnight
-G44 field stripped and sprayed with Hornady One Shot dry lube, including feed ramp and chamber

Sample size of one, but following that mines been 100% reliable even with subsonic ammo.

Jim Watson
08-02-2022, 04:43 PM
Local store/range has a Walther PPQ .22 out for rental; NOT P22 Q.
Good sized, good trigger, reliable for the short spell I had it.
I'd like to see the 5" version.

Their P322 was good, too; and held more shots.

I have a Plastic M&P .22 Compact, bought because Made in USA had a better reputation than full size foreign gun.
Very reliable but dinky size, tough trigger.

All my Glocking friends have Glock 44s. Generally reliable and familiar feel and operation.

Any are suitable for basic instruction and practice.
I find one fault with the type. They are too light. They have aluminum slides to be kicked back by .22 blowback.
I guess a half slide behind a steel barrel would add cost and alter the appearance, but I sure like my Nelson 1911 upper.

Joe in PNG
08-02-2022, 04:51 PM
I went with a Beretta 87 myself, and like it.

LockedBreech
08-02-2022, 05:31 PM
I went with a Beretta 87 myself, and like it.

Oh that's classy.

I'm probably going to grab the G44 for now but some of the posts here will have me looking at Ruger Mark II/III/IV and 22/45 sales as well. I do have pretty great luck with Ruger stuff running even if it's not fancy.

Sincerely appreciate all the perspectives.

Biggy
08-02-2022, 05:32 PM
I have had all kinds of plinking grade .22's through the years and these are the only .22 pistols I currently have left. Both have been very reliable and plenty accurate with the ammo I shoot through them. The Buckmark has all the internal upgrades, Outerlimits universal MRDS optics rail and a Trijicon SRO and a Tandemkross holster. I plan on having the local leather shop cut around two inches off the end of the holster to better fit the Buckmark's barrel length and because I can. The *fixed* barrel Sig P322 is stock except for a few minor reliability tweaks by me, and a recently added Holosun EPS Carry 2 MOA RDS. The holster and mag carrier is by Vedder.

https://i.imgur.com/uJwUxp9h.jpg

Moped
08-02-2022, 05:43 PM
I picked a Taurus TX22 and have been very satisfied with it. Uses the same holster has my FNH FNS 9mm and has the same manual of arms. I’ve had zero malfunctions with it. So far I got about 600 rds down range, using Federal Punch, Aguilla HV, Federal Auto Match and some old Olin white box. Since I bought it, I’ve quit shooting my Ruger MkIII Target pistol.

This is my fourth Taurus and all four have been great guns. PT111 Mil G2, a mother G2, a 627 Tracker .357 and the TX22.

gato naranja
08-02-2022, 06:37 PM
A plain vanilla Ruger SR22 gets used more often than any other .22 pistol on the property. Being what it is - light, small and possessing a stiff trigger - it is not conducive to pinpoint accuracy... but when "sort-of" benched and fussed with, it isn't all that bad. With CCI Mini-Mags, it is as reliable as we could ask for. After a few years of use, the original magazines are still humming along even though they looked laughable right out of the box.

It is so blessed easy to care for that about anyone can take it down and clean it quite thoroughly. Fun... lots of fun (did I mention fun?) and a lot of trainer/plinker for the money. It may get little respect from the cognoscenti, but I likes 'em.

(N.B. If I had to feed myself with a .22, I'd probably want a Ruger MkII, III or some flavor of Buck Mark.)

fly out
08-02-2022, 07:39 PM
Fun... lots of fun (did I mention fun?)

"You're doing it wrong."

I've never owned an SR22, but those I've shot have been fine/fun. I'm sure I haven't been exposed to more than 1500 or 2000 rounds through one(s), but they've been fine (fun).

45dotACP
08-02-2022, 08:35 PM
I have a mkiv ruger 22/45 that I want to get a trigger job for...maybe a Volquartsen kit or something...the gun is very accurate in stock form but I definitely want to tinker. It doesn't have anything in common with any of my other guns, but after I used it a lot I shot my first 100/100 on a B8 with a centerfire gun

Also, dont get it twisted, the Beretta 92FS-R is a different gun than just some wonky ass conversion kit. The one I have is the rental mule I got from the local range. Also it has 15 round mags which I like. With God knows how many rounds down the gun, its still incredibly reliable and accurate. It also has a rail to mount lights or lasers or whatever...

I have been able to shoot 100/100 on B8s with it easily even with the first DA shot. The only reliability issues are with ammo that won't run in my Ruger either.

Being a TDA weirdo, I also think that if you can shoot a TDA rimfire well, you can shoot anything well. Doesn't matter that my carry pistol has a 6.5lb DA trigger and the 92 rimfire is like 13lbs DA.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

JCN
08-02-2022, 10:12 PM
LockedBreech

Usually I start totally new to guns people with Airsoft Glocks.

It takes away some of the stress and danger.

It can also be done without pressure at home in the basement.

Not having muffs and other people banging away with ARs at the same time is also super helpful for facilitating communication.

BillSWPA
08-02-2022, 10:46 PM
My Glock 44 has been totally reliable with the original slide. I have, however, changed the front sight to an Ameriglo black front that is 0.165 inch tall and 0.110 inch wide, and changed the rear sight to a 6.5 mm Glock factory plastic fixed sight. I colored the white part of the rear sight black with a sharpie. This combination provides a 6:00 hold at 25 yards. The improved visibility of the sight picture over the factory sights has helped my accuracy.

I also have a Nelson Precision slide with a Swampfox Liberty optic, which I am just beginning to use. I will hopefully be able to post more about this combination soon.

JHC
08-03-2022, 06:19 AM
FWIW, Chris Baker wasn't super impressed with the Sig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZKoyjU5Ws

Holy cow that was quite the train wreck!

fatdog
08-03-2022, 06:35 AM
My M&P 22 compact has been stellar in every way, but I run my advantage arms G19 conversion a lot more because I dumped the rest of my M&P tribe years ago. My AA conversion is horribly ammo picky and will not run with much besides remington golden bullets. My intent is to invest in a G44 at some point.

TWR
08-04-2022, 06:53 AM
I’m well over 5000 rounds through my G44 and it’s been very reliable. I did have issues at first because I let the rounds nose dive in the magazine. Once I started paying attention to the 8th, 9th and 10th round, that problem has gone away.

I also took out the adjustable rear sight and replaced it with a Gen 5 19 factory sight paired with a Dawson FO front sight. It gives me a much better sight picture. I bought a threaded barrel and got tired of swapping it out so I bought a second G44. I also installed a thug plug to add a little weight.

The M&P Compact 22 I had was a great pistol too but it got sold.

The MK4 Rugers are good but need a little work and don’t mimic anything else so I got rid of it too. But I do like them for an open gun in SC.

My Kimber 22 conversion kit for a 1911 has been a blast once I polished up the extractor.

At the price of components nowadays, I’m keeping a 22 trainer around for my 1911’s and Glocks.

farscott
08-04-2022, 10:09 AM
In 2022, my favorite .22 designs are the classic ones. Today I pulled out a Colt Woodsman that was made in 1938. When it came to be in my care, it was well worn as can be seen in the pictures. It now has a new Cerakote finish and is good for another ninety years or so. Most of the older .22 designs have very similar controls and manual of arms.

EMC
08-04-2022, 10:21 AM
My favorite so far has been my Browning 1911-22 shot show edition. Eats everything. A bit small for large hands but for teaching the wife and kids it's very friendly and quite fun for casual range time. Field strips just like its big brother.

I'm waiting to see if the Sig P322 will supplant its reign as the fun gun.

JHC
08-04-2022, 11:41 AM
My favorite so far has been my Browning 1911-22 shot show edition. Eats everything. A bit small for large hands but for teaching the wife and kids it's very friendly and quite fun for casual range time. Field strips just like its big brother.

I'm waiting to see if the Sig P322 will supplant its reign as the fun gun.

Those scaled down 1911s are really appealing to me. Great to hear it runs well.

I really blew it by not buying a Beretta 70S in .22 many years ago when I looked at one priced low as they used to be, that came with a bunch of magazines. Maybe "beaver will shine again".

Caballoflaco
08-04-2022, 06:06 PM
Shot a friends p322 today. It was wearing a silencerco suppressor, I don’t remember the name. Between us there were 6ish FTE’s while we were going through most of a 50rd box of ammo (I didn’t check what ammo he had) Running the slide fixed things. I didn’t keep a real close malfunction count because a. Half the time we were shooting at mice in an abandoned barn and b. He didn’t seem to care too much and it’s not my pistol.

I also found that my standar high register with my trigger finger would activate the slide release, which means I would have to dremel the right side slide release lever even with the frame if it was mine.

757_Magnum
08-04-2022, 07:24 PM
If I didn't already have two Ruger Mark3s with a bunch of reliability enhancements, I'd buy a G44--except for the lack of RDS mounting.

Nelson Precision makes a slide for the G44 cut for the Holosun 507K. The original version was cut for the RMR, but got changed to the lighter optic for reliability. I prefer irons forward whenever possible, and he confirmed those are in the works.

stomridertx
08-05-2022, 12:37 PM
Nelson Precision makes a slide for the G44 cut for the Holosun 507K. The original version was cut for the RMR, but got changed to the lighter optic for reliability. I prefer irons forward whenever possible, and he confirmed those are in the works.

Are they ever going to be a real thing? I've been tracking their site for what seems like a couple of years and they have been unobtainium for a long time. I would go with the G44 if I could get this slide at the same time. With my luck, Glock would release a MOS G44 before a preorder ever produced a real product from Nelson.

757_Magnum
08-05-2022, 12:48 PM
Are they ever going to be a real thing? I've been tracking their site for what seems like a couple of years and they have been unobtainium for a long time. I would go with the G44 if I could get this slide at the same time. With my luck, Glock would release a MOS G44 before a preorder ever produced a real product from Nelson.

Yeah, they've been selling for quite a while now. The current batch is slated to ship in September. Their site isn't updated as much as their Instagram page. I joined IG just because most manufacturers seem to post news there or on Twitter before anywhere else.

DDTSGM
08-05-2022, 02:06 PM

I think I went about a year before I got mine, got what they are now calling the OEM.

I'd suggest ordering now and just waiting. I do not know when they charged my card if that makes a difference to you.

I'd also start ordering the internal slide parts when you order. I had the original slide to strip, but I wanted to keep it usable for GSSF w/o swapping parts. I did swap and had to look for parts all over as most folks were out of at least one component.

BTW, my runs CCI's with no problems.

Good Luck!