PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on a smaller CCW

simonsez
09-14-2012, 09:40 PM
I will get to my question after I extol the virtues of this forum. I have been a member on here for quite some time now and I have learned so much! (Good job Todd and others) I have maybe posted once due to the fact that I am a novice and don't have much to contribute. The people of this forum have helped me to formulate my mindset on CCW prior to my state even allowing it. Kudos to Governor Walker for getting it and much more done! I'm coming to you guys and gals who have more experience to get your help in solving my problem.

I currently carry a m&p9c with manual safety in a comp-tac mtac holster at about 2:00. I love the set up and it conceals well under an un-tucked shirt. The problem is that when I have to tuck in my shirt, (I wear a shirt and tie generally to church-no suit jacket) this set up will not fly. I have tried putting the unloaded un-holsterd m&p behind my belt and there is no holster made that will allow me to conceal that gun with a tucked in shirt. It looks like a huge bulge in my waistline. I am about 5' 10" 155lbs size 32" waist.

There are soooo many options here. The main thing with going to a different gun is it must go bang EVERY time! I don't want anything less than a .38+P. I really wanted to stick with the m&p platform (shield) for muscle memory and training, but i really think that is still too big. I am also concerned that a iwb tuckable with j-hooks, c hooks or regular belt clips would stick out like a sore thumb on my waist, and I don't trust any other style of concealed clip like velcro to stay in place during the draw. I really like the idea of pocket carry and have considered a change to a revolver in a pocket holster for those occasions, (LCR or j-frame) but I have never shot a revolver and would want to try one out before I purchased one. I also like it because having a hand in a pocket draws no attention. I do not want to ankle carry anything because I just don't think its quick enough access in a self defense situation.

Re-reading through my post makes it look like I've eliminated all kinds of equipment already and that's not exactly true. I just have an idea of what I want...sort of...I think.:confused: For those of you that are still reading I thank you in advance for your wealth of knowledge. Lay it on me!

x-rayted
09-14-2012, 09:55 PM
I carry a S&W 649 j frame when I can't carry my primary. If you are interested in pocket carry I would suggest a hamerless j frame. Check with your local shooting range and see if they have rentals.

JM Campbell
09-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Ever thought of a belly band?

simonsez
09-14-2012, 10:29 PM
I agree on the hammerless revolver.

I've never considered a belly band, but I guess it could get the gun up out of my waistline. Anyone who's used one have any retention issues?

ToddG
09-15-2012, 08:57 AM
I'd stick with the M&P Compact you've already got, and use something like SmartCarry (http://www.smartcarry.com/) when a tucked shirt is necessary.

John Ralston
09-15-2012, 09:06 AM
You could also do the M&P in an ankle rig...

ares338
09-15-2012, 09:39 AM
I'd stick with the M&P Compact you've already got, and use something like SmartCarry (http://www.smartcarry.com/) when a tucked shirt is necessary.

This is the best advice. I have an M&Pm 9c with 850 truly error free rounds and I carry it in a smart carry with no problem.

JodyH
09-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I carry my P2000SK in a belly band or Smartcarry when I have to be tucked, works pretty well.
For even deeper/smaller I usually go with my Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster.

TGS
09-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I carry my P2000SK in a belly band or Smartcarry when I have to be tucked, works pretty well.
For even deeper/smaller I usually go with my Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster.

No more Beretta Nano?

JodyH
09-15-2012, 03:00 PM
No more Beretta Nano?
No, the Kahr has proven itself to be more reliable over the long haul.

JHC
09-15-2012, 03:17 PM

+1 for Smart Carry and while you're at it; the Raven VG2 works very well as a tuckable.

idahojess
09-17-2012, 02:49 PM
I have both an M&P compact (no safety) and a j-frame (among others). I like them both, but I have to practice with both, and they are different.
If you are interested in a small revolver, I'd recommend Ed Lovette's book, "The Snubby Revolver."
It's a very good book about tactics and mindset with a revolver, or any handgun, really (I think).
Good luck!

David Armstrong
09-17-2012, 04:57 PM
I really like the idea of pocket carry and have considered a change to a revolver in a pocket holster for those occasions, (LCR or j-frame) but I have never shot a revolver and would want to try one out before I purchased one. I also like it because having a hand in a pocket draws no attention.
Try it, there is a good chance yo will like it. There is a reason the snub .38 was and is so popular, and even those who don't like it as a primary gun will often admit they carry one as a secondary. It is comfortable to carry (even in a pocket) and delivers a good balance of power for size along with legendary reliability.

simonsez
09-18-2012, 08:08 PM
I have both an M&P compact (no safety) and a j-frame (among others). I like them both, but I have to practice with both, and they are different.
If you are interested in a small revolver, I'd recommend Ed Lovette's book, "The Snubby Revolver."
It's a very good book about tactics and mindset with a revolver, or any handgun, really (I think).
Good luck!

Thanks for the input and the book idea. I always enjoy a good read. I just finished Ayoob's Combat Shooting.

simonsez
09-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Try it, there is a good chance yo will like it. There is a reason the snub .38 was and is so popular, and even those who don't like it as a primary gun will often admit they carry one as a secondary. It is comfortable to carry (even in a pocket) and delivers a good balance of power for size along with legendary reliability.

I dropped by my local Gander MT. on Saturday to get the feel of some revolvers. I actually liked the long trigger pull. It would take some practice and is way different than my m&p, but I liked the way you could stage it right before the shot broke (dry fire). They were both crazy light! (LCR and j-frame) They both fit in my pocket well, and my shorts did not have especially deep pockets.

simonsez
09-18-2012, 08:18 PM
No, the Kahr has proven itself to be more reliable over the long haul.

I never looked much at a Kahr until you mentioned it, then I went and checked out their website. How is the reliability of a Kahr vs. Glock, M&P, HK? Anybody have some data?

Al T.
09-18-2012, 08:40 PM
No data, just some time selling Kahrs. One, they may need some shooting to get the reliability up, though it's not every one. Two, when they are good, they are great. :D

For me, the current pocket carry autochucker is the S&W Buckler, er, Shield. I tend to cargo shorts and it hides well. Hard to find, but shoots very well.

HTH

JM Campbell
09-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I have been EDC'ing a shield in a prototype DarkStarGear AIWB and a pocket mag carrier in cargo shorts for two weeks straight and blue jeans with mag in back left pocket. It has worked out very well for me, even in a very NPE function that lasted for five hours. Small foot print that shoots like a fullsize.

VolGrad
09-19-2012, 06:56 AM
I have been EDC'ing a shield in a prototype DarkStarGear AIWB ...Copycat. :cool:

Small foot print that shoots like a fullsize.Agree 100%.

JodyH
09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
In my experience Kahr is very hit and miss with their QC.
As in 50/50.
I would not recommend a Kahr or buy another one for myself, but there's no way I'd sell my "proven" PM9 or K9.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2