PDA

View Full Version : Progression of gun ownership

breakingtime91
07-24-2022, 11:07 PM
I was having some regret recently about the amount of money I have lost over the years chasing the best set ups. This was with AR rifles and pistols. I have owned and sold most flavor of the weeks that took place on pistol forum. Glocks, Hks, sigs, berettas, 9mm 1911s, and snubbies. ARs I have sold more uppers and optics than I would like to admit. I finally have gotten to a place where I am completely happy and content.

Where I ended up:
-bed side 320 set up with white light and 21 round magazine. Adding a optic soon, probably a 509t or 507c.

-3 365xls, set up the same: 407ks, wilson combat grip modules.

ARs are both bcms, 4x acogs and offset dots.

Anyone else go through this kind of progression? I am finally happy where I am at and now can focus all the money I used to use chasing guns to ammo instead of both.

Duelist
07-24-2022, 11:16 PM
I was tempted today to buy a gun I don’t need. I ordered a case of 9mm and 2 bricks of .22LR instead.

I have 3 snubbies and a few Glocks. All of my other pistols and revolvers are just because I like them.

Totem Polar
07-24-2022, 11:29 PM
Anyone else go through this kind of progression?

Oh Lord, yes.

HCM
07-24-2022, 11:57 PM
I was having some regret recently about the amount of money I have lost over the years chasing the best set ups. This was with AR rifles and pistols. I have owned and sold most flavor of the weeks that took place on pistol forum. Glocks, Hks, sigs, berettas, 9mm 1911s, and snubbies. ARs I have sold more uppers and optics than I would like to admit. I finally have gotten to a place where I am completely happy and content.

Where I ended up:
-bed side 320 set up with white light and 21 round magazine. Adding a optic soon, probably a 509t or 507c.

-3 365xls, set up the same: 407ks, wilson combat grip modules.

ARs are both bcms, 4x acogs and offset dots.

Anyone else go through this kind of progression? I am finally happy where I am at and now can focus all the money I used to use chasing guns to ammo instead of both.

Eh sort of.

I split it into “work guns” and shoot for fun / “passion of the gun” guns.

“Work guns” for me are striker fired RDS equipped guns - currently SIG P320s /P365XLs and a P365 for off the clock / pocket carry when necessary and RDS equipped AR’s in 5.56, 9mm and .22. I’ll consider the MPX an “AR” since the controls are the same. I’m going to say my P322 with 407K is also a work gun in a training role.

I still like to chase guns to some degree but it can be anything from revolvers, 1911s and Berettas to old Winchester lever guns. They have to be shooters. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

SAWBONES
07-25-2022, 07:57 AM

Probably nearly everyone here.

BN
07-25-2022, 08:03 AM

Excuse me??? This is Pistol Forum. Of course they have. ;)

This place is filled with enablers.

blues
07-25-2022, 08:07 AM
I'm lucky that I've never been (too) tempted to collect firearms as I have knives.

4 Glocks.

A J-frame.

An 870.

An AR.

Done.

john c
07-25-2022, 08:47 AM
I'm lucky that I've never been (too) tempted to collect firearms as I have knives.

4 Glocks.

A J-frame.

An 870.

An AR.

Done.

Sure, but the thread is about what progression of guns got you here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nephrology
07-25-2022, 08:48 AM

I somehow never have. I pretty quickly settled on 9mm Glocks, never tooled around. When dots became a thing I just sent my slides off for milling.

I did progressively upgrade the quality of my ARs and their optics/accessories over time, but with the pandemic price appreciation I never lost that much money selling my uppers to upgrade to something a little better.

Built all of my lowers from stripped, beyond some ugly toolmarks on one of the cheaper ones I bought, never had any functional issues with any of them, so never felt the urge to replace.

I have some 'fun guns' like my S&W post-war revolvers but that's about it.

Guerrero
07-25-2022, 08:52 AM

Oh, boy, yes. However I have a slight excuse that some of the stuff I settled on didn't exist when I got into the game.

CCT125US
07-25-2022, 09:03 AM
Certainly have. The path I've been on for a number of years is self funding. Either through classes, gear that I no longer use / need / want, firearms that have have appreciated in value, firearms that I've used the value out of, etc.

For instance, in a recent thread I mentioned the IWI Z15 I picked up. Traded in a USP9c that had seen some miles. Still very serviceable, but at the point were it needed a new RSA, Tritium sights, and I no longer needed the threaded barrel for it. Also in that trade was a PSA lower that I had picked up as insurance against a future ban. So in my mind the USP9c needed about $200 put into it. Instead, I took a pistol I paid $750 for, put many rounds through it, and received a $650 credit for it. Also received the price paid in credit on the PSA, and was able to sell the threaded barrel for profit. Thinned out the heard and received a new rifle.

Also P7M8s have turned a good profit.

I've got a number of very serviceable HKs, and a few pistols of sentimental value. I have not added new money in years, other than a very desirable HK from willie that was too good to pass up.

I've focused on bringing what I have up to standards, meaning optic, sling, brake, trigger, rather than buying more firearms

The HK heard has been thinned slightly.

rcbusmc24
07-25-2022, 09:08 AM
I like all things that go pew... but most times when I go shoot I have Beretta 92's , S&W K frames and perhaps a 1911 with me. When I do bring a long gun it's typically one of the FSP BCM middies with a aimpoint and light, even though I have a bunch of stuff kitted out with LVPO's, high rise optics, LAM's, suppessors and all the other fancy stuff. I try not to sell stuff off anymore, I like having it, even if I don't use it very often.

blues
07-25-2022, 09:13 AM
Sure, but the thread is about what progression of guns got you here?

Progression...

Well, I started out with a Model 36 S&W in 1983. (To supplement my issued Model 15.)

Bought a Glock 19 in 1988 to carry on and off the job.

Sold the Model 36 and bought a Glock 26 in 1995.

Bought an 870 in 2003 to replace the one I turned back in to my agency.

Bought a 686+ which I kept for a couple years before selling to my neighbor. (Roughly 2015.)

Purchased an AR in 2015 or '16. Just because I didn't have a rifle since turning in my AUG at work.

Added a 642-1 as a walking around gun in 2016 as well. (Always missed that Model 36.)

Purchased a Glock 17 as a dedicated nightstand gun in 2017 or so.

And lastly, bought another G26 (Gen5) a couple years back as a backup to the Gen2.5 It's my travel / LEOSA gun for carry anywhere in the USA. Didn't want to be without if one needed repair.

There. Now you know the whole sordid history. ;)

awp_101
07-25-2022, 09:30 AM
Progression...

Well, I started out with a Model 36 S&W in 1983. (To supplement my issued Model 15.)

Bought a 686+ which I kept for a couple years before selling to my neighbor. (Roughly 2015.)

Purchased an AR in 2015 or '16. Just because I didn't have a rifle since turning in my AUG at work.

Added a 642-1 as a walking around gun in 2016 as well. (Always missed that Model 36.)

And lastly, bought another G26 (Gen5) a couple years back as a backup to the Gen2.5 It's my travel / LEOSA gun for carry anywhere in the USA. Didn't want to be without if one needed repair.

That’s just the first quarter of an average year for some of us…

BN
07-25-2022, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure what to think about people who know exactly how many guns they own and remember all of them. :)

Totem Polar
07-25-2022, 09:50 AM
I'm not sure what to think about people who know exactly how many guns they own and remember all of them. :)

No kidding. Guns will come up in conversation, and I’ll suddenly remember that I used to own one. Or, that I still do.

blues
07-25-2022, 09:51 AM
That’s just the first quarter of an average year for some of us…

No doubt. I consider myself fortunate.

WobblyPossum
07-25-2022, 09:52 AM
My first handgun was a Gen3 G19 in 2011. I’ve strayed away a couple of times over the years since, usually to a P-F flavor of the month like the P30 or PX4, but always came back to basic 9mm double stack Glocks after a little bit. All of my serious use handguns are Glocks now. I have three G19s (one Gen4 with irons two Gen5s with optics) and two G26s (one Gen4 and one Gen5). The only other handguns I own are strictly fun guns I enjoy but rarely shoot like Beretta 92s and S&W K frames. Periodically, I look at other handguns that that everyone seems to be really excited about like 2011s but I don’t even seriously consider buying one. I’ve reached the point where I’m content with the Glocks.

The process of streamlining long guns has been less efficient. I built or bought a bunch of ARs which I sold shortly thereafter as soon as they got boring. I slightly regret getting rid of two of them but only slightly. I played around with an AUG for a bit but didn’t fall in love. I sold it during covid when someone made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. I like my Beretta 1301 a lot but, since there are no shotguns at work, any serious long gun use is with guns the have AR style manuals of arms. I do absolutely adore my APC9. I know there’s not much reason for a 9mm subgun in 2022 with guns like the Sig Rattler in existence that can do everything a 9mm subgun can do and a whole lot more that one can’t do. Doesn’t change how much I like the APC. It’s also nice to be able to go to the range with only 9mm. I’m seriously considering making the APC my default home defense long gun once I SBR it and get a suppressor for it.

blues
07-25-2022, 09:53 AM

I think "Tony", jmck calls them "Democrats". (At least, as he once jokingly referred to me during a phone conversation. It still cracks me up. ;))

Clusterfrack
07-25-2022, 09:56 AM
I was having some regret recently about the amount of money I have lost over the years chasing the best set ups. …
I finally have gotten to a place where I am completely happy and content.

I’m at the end of a similar journey, although with different guns. I’m not too bent about the money ‘wasted’ because it’s worth it to have finally settled on what really works and is trustworthy for me. I’ll probably buy a few more guns over the years, but doubt there will be more major shifts.

1911s, HK, 2011, p320s, are gone. I’m very happy with Glocks and late-model TDA CZs. (and a Kahr p380 in the mousegun role, replacing a LCP1.2).

BWT
07-25-2022, 11:09 AM
1911’s to Glocks.

Lots of Glocks to end up at Glock 34’s. I was talked out of them by the interwebs many times.

Long guns? You know lots of these things I bought out of concern for bans, etc. it’s basically been a recurring theme my whole adult life.

I imagine things would look different if we didn’t have that constant nagging. I handled an HK SP5 at a gun store this weekend and they’re cool guns. I don’t need one, but I find them interesting but extremely pricey for me. It’d be 3x more than I’d ever spent on any gun.

On the drive home I had the thought “Will I be kicking myself for not buying that depending on how this latest legislation goes in the Senate currently?”.

UncleGabby
07-25-2022, 11:10 AM
Yes, although I was lucky in hindsight that I mostly bought, sold, and traded used samples the various pistols that I’ve gone through. Sometimes I sold or traded them away for even money, or even a slight profit. When I’ve lost money, I see that as the price of a long term rental. Many I purchased in the pre-Covid Trump years, which were a buyer’s market, and dumped in the Covid years.0

Although I owned a 1911 as a night stand gun since I turned 21, and shot several thousand rounds through it, I only started really shooting and thinking about shooting 7 years ago when I got my concealed carry permit. I had a Sig P239 in .40/.357 sig for about a year with a P226 set up the same for my night stand. Then a Gen 3 or 4 Glock 19 that I hated and didn’t keep long. Then I had several HKs, a P30, and a P30L for a bit and then several P2000s, both DA/SA and LEM. I eventually ditched them because mounting a Red Dot on the P2000 is expensive, and once you make the cut, you’re stuck with that optic. I have also had a few LTT Berettas, and still have one, but as much as I like shooting it, it doesn’t fill a role.

I’m in the trying it out phase with red dots, so I bought a barely used Gen 5 Glock 17 MOS, and put an RMR on it. I’ve only been able to take it to the range 4 times, because we have a new baby, but so far the trigger is better than most of the Glocks I’ve shot, the hated finger grooves are gone, and the SCD makes me feel as safe as carrying a DA/SA gun. So, I will probably stay with Glocks, for a while.

An interesting question would be, if you could go back in time and tell yourself to save money and not buy all of those other guns, would you? I wouldn’t, because owning and shooting a lot of rounds through a variety of pistols helped me figure out what I wanted and didn’t want. I am also not confused by the “grass is greener on the other side” thoughts that pop up when a new gun comes along because I’ve been over there, and it isn’t.

willie
07-25-2022, 11:28 AM
Certainly have. The path I've been on for a number of years is self funding. Either through classes, gear that I no longer use / need / want, firearms that have have appreciated in value, firearms that I've used the value out of, etc.

For instance, in a recent thread I mentioned the IWI Z15 I picked up. Traded in a USP9c that had seen some miles. Still very serviceable, but at the point were it needed a new RSA, Tritium sights, and I no longer needed the threaded barrel for it. Also in that trade was a PSA lower that I had picked up as insurance against a future ban. So in my mind the USP9c needed about $200 put into it. Instead, I took a pistol I paid $750 for, put many rounds through it, and received a $650 credit for it. Also received the price paid in credit on the PSA, and was able to sell the threaded barrel for profit. Thinned out the heard and received a new rifle.

Also P7M8s have turned a good profit.

I've got a number of very serviceable HKs, and a few pistols of sentimental value. I have not added new money in years, other than a very desirable HK from willie that was too good to pass up.

I've focused on bringing what I have up to standards, meaning optic, sling, brake, trigger, rather than buying more firearms

The HK heard has been thinned slightly.

Did you want the firing pin too? That's extra. :cool:

Ichiban
07-25-2022, 12:11 PM
I was having some regret recently about the amount of money I have lost over the years chasing the best set ups.

I try to think of it as an educational expense. :rolleyes:

The best way to figure out if a gun fits your needs is to buy one and shoot it for a while. You learn and grow along the way. Some of the ones that I thought sucked when I started down this path have been reacquired because now that I have more experience my criteria and expectations have changed.

Live and learn.

fatdog
07-25-2022, 12:32 PM
... I am finally happy where I am at and now can focus all the money I used to use chasing guns to ammo instead of both.

I hope that situation lasts for you for a good long time. I get there and then 3-5 years later something changes my mind about some part of it.....repeat.....

john c
07-25-2022, 12:43 PM
Progression...

Darn, I was hoping for a “dark period” of increasingly out of control 1911 addiction. Or maybe a torrid affair with multiple P7s in the ‘80s, with maybe a Steyr GB tucked away here or there. [emoji3]

Seriously, I’m kinda jealous of older guys who lived through some amazing times, gun-wise. Colt lightweight commanders for $100, new? Back up the truck, please!

guymontag
07-25-2022, 12:46 PM
I’m at the end of a similar journey, although with different guns. I’m not too bent about the money ‘wasted’ because it’s worth it to have finally settled on what really works and is trustworthy for me. I’ll probably buy a few more guns over the years, but doubt there will be more major shifts.

1911s, HK, 2011, p320s, are gone. I’m very happy with Glocks and late-model TDA CZs. (and a Kahr p380 in the mousegun role, replacing a LCP1.2).

I agree, many guns have gone down the road and I don’t regret any of them, either purchasing or selling. I’m happy with what I have now and I know it works for me. My journey started with CZ and pretty much ended with CZ (with a more robust aftermarket these days which I am grateful for).

blues
07-25-2022, 12:56 PM
Darn, I was hoping for a “dark period” of increasingly out of control 1911 addiction. Or maybe a torrid affair with multiple P7s in the ‘80s, with maybe a Steyr GB tucked away here or there. [emoji3]

Seriously, I’m kinda jealous of older guys who lived through some amazing times, gun-wise. Colt lightweight commanders for $100, new? Back up the truck, please!

I carried a Series 70 Gov't Model in the late 80's, early 90's. It was an issued firearm, (possibly from a seizure), I inherited from another agent. Carried on regular duty as well as SRT. We got away from cocked and locked as an agency and I had turned it in before that drop dead date due to some issues with the particular gun.

CCT125US
07-25-2022, 01:35 PM
Did you want the firing pin too? That's extra. :cool:

Knew I should have test fired it.

DDTSGM
07-25-2022, 02:23 PM
Built all of my lowers from stripped, beyond some ugly toolmarks on one of the cheaper ones I bought, never had any functional issues with any of them, so never felt the urge to replace. I have some 'fun guns' like my S&W post-war revolvers but that's about it.

Slight thread drift: That's pretty much me, I have purchased one complete lower, a Colt from Brownells, and two complete uppers: a Colt CCU upper from Brownells, and a BCM M4 Upper. The 'marriage' of the Colt upper and lower, as well as the 'marriage' of a LaRue 6.5G Ultimate Upper and a matching Larue stripped lower, are the only rifles I own that are made completely by any manufacturer. And like you, I pretty much use stripped lowers from a variety of manufactures and at this point, put together my own LPK's since I'm generally going to install a LaRue MBT2S, an ambi mag release and an ambi safety. I almost always use BCM blem stripped uppers, ToolCrafts are my default bolts, G/ALG carbon steel gas blocks and Green Mountain's barrels are pretty much my go to choice for that area, although I've used several BA Hanson's and Roscoe Purebreds recently. Never had a problem. As far as I'm concerned if it's 7075-T6, the holes are in the correct place for function, and mags insert and drop free, it's good to go.

Now, if I was going to operate operationally, or equip folks to operate operationally, I'd do things differently.

No kidding. Guns will come up in conversation, and I’ll suddenly remember that I used to own one. Or, that I still do.

I try not to sell stuff off anymore, I like having it, even if I don't use it very often.

I'm with you guys. My youngest son came over the other day and I showed him the 9mm 1911 that I'd completed in May. It was the first time in several years that he'd seen the inside of my pistol safe. He about crapped 'do you even know what you have?' 'Yep, got a list.'

In my case, I didn't really start building/buying until two sets of kids were gone, but I've made up for it in the last decade or so.

Totem Polar
07-25-2022, 02:40 PM
I try to think of it as an educational expense. :rolleyes:

The best way to figure out if a gun fits your needs is to buy one and shoot it for a while. You learn and grow along the way. Some of the ones that I thought sucked when I started down this path have been reacquired because now that I have more experience my criteria and expectations have changed.

Live and learn.

This, all the way. I am both happy and a little embarrassed to say that there really isn’t any handgun design that I don’t know how to manipulate and field strip. I mean, one never knows when they will be called upon to run a single-action revolver or, say, a toggle-action 9mm under duress. It could happen.

And, you’re not a handgun enthusiast unless you’ve bought and sold the same exact model of Glock (eg. 26 or 42) at least 3 times.

Hell, I’m on my third Seecamp, for Pete’s sake.

:)

rdtompki
07-25-2022, 03:08 PM
I was spared much of a progression by trying a 1911 early in my shooting journey. Went from M&Ps (his/hers 9mm, 22lr) to 9mm 1911s (several). Did detour to a couple of EMPs, a DW something, and two Kimber HD Pro Carry II while seeking a purse carry option for my wife (unsuccessful). I carried a LEM P2000 in 9mm since in CA commander 1911s were in short supply. Now in Idaho I have transitioned to Staccato for EDC (all the HKs having been sold) with the C2 the best balance of performance, concealability, and capacity as I see things.

Crazy Dane
07-25-2022, 04:28 PM
Sometime around 2006 I had gotten down to 2 hunting rifles - one .308 and one .280, one hunting shot gun, one 1022, two M1911s, one Ruger Bisley .45 Colt and my Smith M18. I had a lot more before my job got sent to Honduras and my wife and I decided to stay (for the kids sake) instead of chasing work. Most were sold off to make ends meet. After the youngest made it through tech school and got a job, I feel like I have been on a buying spree. I now have more revolvers than I ever had and I still don't have any single actions back. I have 2 of my primary defensive pistols, P365. I have a bunch more that I'm not going to list out, but you get the picture.

I'm buying all of these in hope of one day of having grandkids that I can take to the range, shoot a bunch of rounds and teach them the way of the gun. When they become competent and are of age, I can send them home with the guns we shot that day.

I have made the rank of "enthusiast" by buying and selling 3 G19s (not at once) No matter how hard I try I just can't reach that Glock perfection.

Hambo
07-25-2022, 04:43 PM
You know that saying, "Beware the man who only owns one gun..."? Well, fuck that cheap bastard. I like shooting everything and I'm going to do just that for as long as I can.

OlongJohnson
07-25-2022, 04:50 PM
I've only owned one Glock and can't imagine why I'd buy another one like it.

45dotACP
07-25-2022, 05:47 PM
Eh, I enjoy the ones I have. I have fewer than some, more than makes sense to the wife (jk she likes shooting) and no rifles to speak of because I have practically zero use for a rifle at this point in my life. I live in an apartment, don't hunt, don't do 3 gun and my long gun needs are met by my 12 gauge, which I have a lot more practice with than an AR.

Maybe I'll get a 10-22 for steel matches or something tho.

Not every gun I own is for serious bidness. In fact, most are just because I think some guns awesome and I like shooting.

Given the cost of ammo lately I certainly go shooting less than I go to the gym or BJJ, but I still occasionally indulge a new purchase if it's a significant upgrade and I'll fund it with the sale of a gun I'm not as jazzed about.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

MK11
07-25-2022, 06:04 PM
You know that saying, "Beware the man who only owns one gun..."? Well, fuck that cheap bastard. I like shooting everything and I'm going to do just that for as long as I can.

The people I know with one gun would need a 30 minute head start to find and load it.

mmc45414
07-25-2022, 07:17 PM
I am going through another cycle that has happened before, where I get hot and bothered for some somewhat expensive things and sell a bunch of ordinary things I don't love (and was not using) to get what I want.

Just sold eleven guns and a reloading press and bought four guns and a reloading press, but now I have two 1301s and an RL1100.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4RNR
07-25-2022, 07:32 PM
You know that saying, "Beware the man who only owns one gun..."? Well, fuck that cheap bastard. I like shooting everything and I'm going to do just that for as long as I can.I know a lot of people like that. Usually that's the guy who keeps it in his sock drawer for 65 years without firing a single round.

I started with a Ruger P89, Taurus 145, DE 50 and S&W 629 Classic. Some 410 pistol grip pump, Mosin, and a Marlin 22lr. All long gone.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

MD7305
07-25-2022, 07:59 PM
I went through it too, untold how much money I lost trading this for that. My phase revolved between TDA Sigs and Glocks. About the time I was issued an M&P my hobby focus turned elsewhere and I just settled for one platform. Been that way for about 5 years now and I've honestly enjoyed more focus on ”how vs. what.” I get excited about other platforms that my wandering eyes see....but I've got more self control now.

My biggest struggle now is what to buy for my son, to put back for him, in the event options are limited for him in the future when he'll hopefully carry on the hereditary gun disease.

Casual Friday
07-25-2022, 08:10 PM
I posted this in another thread recently and snipped out the parts that were only related to that particular thread. Rather than type it out I'll just quote myself.

Life got a whole lot simpler for me when I gave in and accepted the fact that a MK18/6933 with a $400 Aimpoint Pro, a magnifier on a QD mount, and a YHM Turbo was the solution to 99.9875% of the problems that I could ever encounter. My friend JD who's a meat eatin' face shooter believes that a LPVO is for people who can't decide if they need a red dot or a magnified optic. He either runs Eotechs/Aimpoints with magnifiers or real magnified optics with piggybacked red dots. My house gun and my training gun are setup mostly identical, but they have different quad rails. The location of the light is the same though.

Should I switch to this rail? I really think this light mount would be better than this other one that's worked well for me for years. I think I might sell this Aimpoint H1 and buy a T1 because it has night vision capabilities, even though I don't have night vision. This B5 Bravo stock is nice, but it doesn't have a locking mechanism like the CTR, I should probably sell it for a loss and buy a CTR even though I've already had one and sold it at a loss to buy the B5 or some other stock. Swapping out, changing this, rezeroing, just to realize that I wasn't really gaining anything by doing so, it all got so tiresome. Then I'd think of something else that I could upgrade and here we go again. I nearly drove myself bonkers over-analyzing my first suppressor purchase. This stuff will consume me if I allow it to.

awp_101
07-25-2022, 08:48 PM
No doubt. I consider myself fortunate.
We all have our own monkeys to port around. I never seriously caught the knife or motorcycle bug so I got that going for me I suppose...

I took a quick spin through the safe Saturday after a last minute invite to a small show nearby. Figured I'd try and move something that wasn't being used. I won't say I found guns I'd forgotten about but there were certainly a couple of conversions that made me scratch my head for a moment. Looking through that safe had me a little embarrassed with just the amount of stuff and how little actually gets used. A lot came from an inheritance a few years ago so there's memories attached but I may start spreading a few of those out between my nephew and the boys.

For a long time I thought I was chasing "better". Turns out what I was really chasing was the dragon.

breakingtime91
07-25-2022, 09:49 PM
We all have our own monkeys to port around. I never seriously caught the knife or motorcycle bug so I got that going for me I suppose...

I took a quick spin through the safe Saturday after a last minute invite to a small show nearby. Figured I'd try and move something that wasn't being used. I won't say I found guns I'd forgotten about but there were certainly a couple of conversions that made me scratch my head for a moment. Looking through that safe had me a little embarrassed with just the amount of stuff and how little actually gets used. A lot came from an inheritance a few years ago so there's memories attached but I may start spreading a few of those out between my nephew and the boys.

For a long time I thought I was chasing "better". Turns out what I was really chasing was the dragon.

Chasing the dragon is what I said to my buddy tonight. My two bcms, and 3 sig 365xls will have me covered for anything I need. I am even considering selling the 320 because I shoot the 365xls better and have limited training time because my family/career. Feels really good to be at this place and not over analyzing anymore

ECK
07-26-2022, 09:59 AM
It depends. The frugal part of me needs to have a reason to own a specific gun. The enthusiast in me will argue back that “but it’s cool and you know you want one”. The two sides fight all the time.

In college my collection was pretty minimal. A 1911 for everything, a .22 pistol for plinking, a 7mm for hunting, and a 10/22 for plinking/fun.

Post-college and over the next 35 years I chased iterations of the ideal carry guns, went small for a while, then back up in size, then back down again landing on the 365XL several years ago.

When the competition bug bit in the late 2000’s I started buying guns for specific disciplines and divisions. The competition justification appealed to my frugal nature, but it also led me down the path of needing two of everything (one primary, one backup). USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun, 2-gun, Steel Challenge, and as of late NRL22 and PRS. I just bought an action for a custom rifle build, now sourcing a barrel in 6mm GT… down the rabbit hole I go (this is the enthusiast in me).

I have gone on campaigns to thin out the collection to focus on quality over quantity (the frugal part in me). Specifically guns I bought for a division that I don’t shoot anymore and will probably move them on, but there are some that I doubt I will ever sell (i.e. some of my custom 1911 and 2011 even tho I rarely shoot iron sights anymore).

Mrs. ECK is an enabler. She’ll periodically look over my shoulder to see what I am surfing and asks, you gonna get it? Some of the guns in the collection are hers, but her camera equipment takes up an increasing amount of space in the gun safe, contemplating we may need to get a second safe one of these days. She and I have an informal rule, I don’t ask what she spent on a ______ (camera body, lens, etc.), and she doesn’t ask what I spend on a gun.

As long as the bills are paid, we have food in the fridge, discretionary spending will continue to feed the enthusiasm, tempered by my frugal nature.

For example, the enthusiast in me wants a suppressed .300 BO SBR. The frugal part in me says “WTF for”? The struggle is real.

mmc45414
07-26-2022, 11:20 AM
I am going through another cycle that has happened before, where I get hot and bothered for some somewhat expensive things and sell a bunch of ordinary things I don't love (and was not using) to get what I want.

Another aspect of this is that I still have plenty of stuff but I have started to standardize more. I have decided I really do not need more than one brand of striker pistol, though I might eventually end up with 10-12 M&Ps of various configurations (dot pistols drive up this total...). Same with ARs, I have a handful, but they are configured differently, and imma gonna just stick with them.

Stephanie B
07-26-2022, 12:34 PM
In the early 90s, I was living in one state and working in another. Where I lived was mostly rural and the gun stores tended to cater to the hunting trade. When I went to law skool, it was awhile before I shifted my residency and, even when I did, it was a dual issue of time and money. When I moved to NY, I bought mostly rifles because buying handguns was kind of a pain.

But, roughly ten years ago, I lived where there were gunshops close buy and, other than the NICS check, it was cash & carry. Buds had a sale on Aussie Model 10s. And a good friend sold me a Model 696 for below market rate. I fell hard into the K-frame rabbit hole, which was still at or below $300. And I found out about police trade-ins. And that lovely sale five years ago on Model 64s for under $250. And the widow of a friend's brother made me a deal on a few nonworking guns that mostly took time and a few parts to fix.

Now, I've pumped the brakes.

awp_101
07-26-2022, 01:15 PM
For example, the enthusiast in me wants a suppressed .300 BO SBR. The frugal part in me says “WTF for”? The struggle is real.

Yep. I really want a nice PRS rig. The issue is the outdoor range I belong to is maxed out at 200yds and my dedication to driving an hour or more for a longer range is zero.

The black powder bug has bitten me again. But I can’t shoot them at the indoor range nearby and the outdoor range is a non-starter until the temps get back into the 80s. I work in a warehouse environment so on the weekends if it doesn’t involve a/c I’m not interested.

ECK
07-26-2022, 02:09 PM
Yep. I really want a nice PRS rig. The issue is the outdoor range I belong to is maxed out at 200yds and my dedication to driving an hour or more for a longer range is zero.

The black powder bug has bitten me again. But I can’t shoot them at the indoor range nearby and the outdoor range is a non-starter until the temps get back into the 80s. I work in a warehouse environment so on the weekends if it doesn’t involve a/c I’m not interested.

Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch. I’ve been causally shooting PRS on/off for the last four years. In the last year or so its been mainly been ‘off’. But last fall a friend of mine (an even bigger enabler than my wife) got me into shooting NRL22. Holy crap that is fun and a great trainer for PRS but at a much lower cost than loading 6.5CM which means I shoot more. Much more. In the last 6 months I shot quite a bit more .22LR in practice and matches than my 4 years of PRS centerfire combined. I am now much more comfortable with positional shooting, being more efficient building my shooting positions, calculating and dialing my scope, gauging wind and correcting for wind on the fly, etc. My centerfire rifle is nothing special, a Ruger RPR in 6.5CM w/ a Vortex PST. The gun flat out shoots (found a good load for it) but it never fit me right and has angles where there shouldn’t be on a well fitting rifle. Plus the ability to transform it into a ‘modern’ PRS rifle is low, not without dropping a bunch more $$ into it (here’s the frugal part taking over). So rather than invest $$ into the RPR I’m going to build a custom rifle (enthusiast talking) and then sell the RPR while it still has enough life left on the barrel for some casual shooter who only shoots a hundred rnds a year.

Just got an email that my action is being shipped to my FFL, I’ll have a local gunsmith/competitor spin up a barrel for it in 6mm GT, buy a trigger group, and figure out which chassis/stock to go with. This gun will share the same bipod, bags, and other accoutrements as my rimfire match rifle, so I can stay true to my frugal nature.

Hmmm blackpowder, 30 years ago I built a Remington 1858 model cap/ball revolver from a kit. Dabbled with black powder that winter for a bit, then lost interest. My frugal side says please don’t tempt me down that path….

Leroy
07-26-2022, 06:06 PM
I sort of for a second started simplifying, did not like it, and now only buy and rarely ever sell. I like having 1 of everything and 2 to 3 of what matters in the safe.

Truth is, if it goes bang, and sends bullets somewhere in the vicinity of where I want, I like it, but I can bitch about something on every gun I own.

Paul D
07-26-2022, 06:54 PM
Wait...you guys sell your guns?

https://i1.wp.com/tmansreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Were_the_Millers_Meme-edited.png?fit=750%2C422&ssl=1

Ichiban
07-26-2022, 07:54 PM
Wait...you guys sell your guns?

https://i1.wp.com/tmansreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Were_the_Millers_Meme-edited.png?fit=750%2C422&ssl=1

And buy the same damn thing again a couple of years later. :eek:

WobblyPossum
07-26-2022, 08:17 PM
And buy the same damn thing again a couple of years later. :eek:

That’s how I was with Glocks for a bit. I once sold a Gen4 G19 to fund an iPad for my girlfriend’s birthday. A year or so later I was buying another Gen4 G19 to carry at work because the Gen5 hadn’t been authorized yet. Early last year I sold a Gen5 G19 to fund a Gen5 G26. Early this year I bought a Gen5 G19 after my agency authorized the Gen5 guns. I don’t feel too bad about that one. The Gen5s the agency authorizes are only the recent ones with the breechface cut. The G19 I sold was made prior to the cut being standard so I couldn’t use it for work anyway. The G26 that replaced it is in an authorized configuration.

jeep45238
07-26-2022, 08:24 PM
I really don't want to do the math on what I've spent on this. Previously, when I was much younger and much dumber, I would visit the local indoor range and rent a different pistol each time. I would shoot for time and accuracy on two different strings and targets. I would then repeat with the pistol I was carrying. If I did better by some margin I can't remember, I would sell of everything I had (pistol, mags, carriers, holster, etc.) to invest in the new platform. That was ungodly expensive looking back on it.

9's, 40's, 45's, poly and metal, SAO, striker, DA/SA, DAO striker, you name it - I remember running a Kah T40 as hard as a M&P 45acp, and running a M&P 45acp with a thumb safety with downloaded mags against guys with 1911's in IDPA.

I've settled on what I have, which is HK VP/P30 pistols, LCR, 1301, and AR for seriousness. Everything else is for fun, sentimental, or sub-caliber training that I use for helping out occasionally as an AI or volunteering for a church or youth group. It's done a ton to put my money towards ammo and classes instead.

The only gun I really have a strong hankering for is the standard LCR in 22LR, for sub-caliber training and pocket carry.

LittleLebowski
07-26-2022, 09:20 PM
NewPistolP—-y Syndrome. Often a symptom of the more dangerous NewGunP—-y Syndrome.

Rex G
07-26-2022, 10:11 PM
Part of having such an extensive and expensive “progression” is that it helps one finally and fully realize contentment with a few fundamental firearms, and that chasing the latest/greatest is no longer necessary. I still look at firearms, but mostly the older stuff, knowing that my favored revolvers, and 1911 and Glock pistols, will suffice for defensive purposes, and my 1911 pistols may well be relegated to the recreational/fun/collectible role. I rarely look at the Semi-Auto Pistols section of P-F, anymore.

JCN
07-26-2022, 11:30 PM
Chasing the dragon is what I said to my buddy tonight. My two bcms, and 3 sig 365xls will have me covered for anything I need. I am even considering selling the 320 because I shoot the 365xls better and have limited training time because my family/career. Feels really good to be at this place and not over analyzing anymore

Need and want are two different things.

As long as you can tell the difference, it’s all good.

medmo
07-26-2022, 11:34 PM

Wow, seriously, 3 SIG 365XLs? 3? They must be really cool if you have 3 of them. I don't have one. Now, maybe I want one. See how this shit works?

Hi, my name is medmo. I have a life long problem but I am totally reformed so I no longer have that problem. I'm pretty much lying my ass off like everyone else here that has self proclaimed being reformed.

Back to the 3 SIG 365XLs. Do you have them in different configs, sights, optics, etc.?

fatdog
07-27-2022, 06:25 AM
The perfect is always the enemy of the good.

Paul Blackburn
07-27-2022, 07:58 AM
There are a lot of angles at play here;

Chasing the best, chasing incremental improvements, guys love to tinker, the discovery process, etc.

And then there's an ego component;

No one wants to show up/be seen at the range or a class with sub optimal and or sub brand guns and gear. Like our sense of self/identity is tied to our possessions.

We can benefit from this process as we learn, discover, acquire experience, figure it all out so to speak and finally reach a point of becoming satisfied. But not without a cost$$$.

Paul Blackburn
07-27-2022, 10:14 AM
I wish we could edit posts😠
I would also add boredom, the desire to cover every niche, and the fact that it’s just so easy to buy stuff.

mmc45414
07-27-2022, 10:30 AM
A significant simplification is that I am pretty focused on 9mm and 38/357.
I will always have (and love) 45acp, and I plan to keep at least one 44mag around.
And .22, in rifles, pistols and revolvers.
And there will always be some variety in rifles.
And, shit, wait.... :cool:

awp_101
07-27-2022, 12:50 PM
NewPistolP—-y Syndrome. Often a symptom of the more dangerous NewGunP—-y Syndrome.
I’m down with NPP (and NGP)

medmo
07-27-2022, 01:21 PM
I’m down with NPP (and NGP)

And when you have some range time with your buds.....

You down with OPG (Yeah you know me).

LockedBreech
07-27-2022, 06:43 PM
This has been a fun thread, learning how everyone has come to where they are.

I shot from the time I was a tot with my dad and brother. Dad started me on BB/Pellet rifle, then .22 rifle and .22 pistol, then eventually in my early teen years trained me on quick-draw and close-range shooting mostly with the Beretta 92F and Beretta 96G, which were his issued duty guns over that timespan. We lived out in the country and ammo was pretty cheap, and we also had access to his agency range, so to this day I still chafe at ranges with no quick-draw rules because I was 12-13 years old when my dad was teaching me the "draw, aim, fire X shots in X seconds from X range while taking X steps" and that is still one of the more realistic and helpful exercise forms in my opinion because it doesn't only teach you how to shoot the gun, it also teaches you how to handle your body, shift focus, and move dynamically.

When I was 20, my dad got me my first "My" handgun, a Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W Fullsize. That's still my most-shot gun, with 15-20K down the pipe and 99.9% perfect reliability. It's why I love Beretta and always will have a soft spot for the much-benighted .40 S&W, that brand and caliber connect to my childhood and shooting with my dad and brother.

Between 2008 and 2013, I was given as gifts or purchased a Remington 870 Express Tactical, Ruger 10/22 All-Weather Stainless, Itzevsk Mosin-Nagant 91/30 (48.5), and 1968 Second-Gen Colt Detective Special.

In 2013, I bought my first handgun, a Beretta 92FS, for $530. I still have it, have shot it for years, and it has never bobbled.

In 2014 I graduated law school, and after working since I was 12 years old for never more than candy or college textbook money and working as an RA for 5 of the 7 years I was in college, I suddenly had minimal debt, a large adult paycheck, no girl (had just broken up with my girlfriend of 5 years), and was fond of having a few drinks and shopping.

From 2014 to about 2019 I went absolutely bonkers. I bought so, so much stuff. To give it some context, here are the guns I've owned that I no longer own: Sig P226 9mm, Sig P226 .40, Sig P220 .45, Sig P229 .40, 1972 Beretta 92S, Beretta PX4 Compact 9mm, Beretta 92FS Compact 9mm, Sig Sauer SP2022 Stainless 9mm (would later re-buy a Nitron variant because I missed it), Ruger GP100, Smith & Wesson Shield 1.0, Smith & Wesson Shield 2.0, Glock 43, Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 26 Gen 4 (would have kept but my brother's agency issued 17 Gen 4s and I wanted him to have a backup I had vetted well without spending money), HK P30 V3 9mm, HK VP9 9mm, Century WASR-10 AK47, Bersa Thunder .380.

Gosh, probably another 5-6 I'm not thinking of off hand. I bought a lot of guns.

After I started really paying attention to Pistol-Forum lessons in 2017-2018 or so I curtailed my buying a lot, and when I got serious about investing in late 2018 I shredded my credit cards and sold a lot of guns to finish paying my debt.

Since then, I have continued to add guns but I'm more deliberate about it, only use cash (never credit), and have to have a clearly articulated purpose for my guns (even if the purpose is just "because it's cool" I make myself say that).

This had led to a pleasant compromise. I have around 32 firearms, but most are just "fun to have" firearms. Colt 1911, Colt Python, A fancy Smith E-Series, a 10" .300 Blackout, a Sig M17-B, that sort of thing.

For "serious work" guns I've become a lot more boring. Home defense, travel, and carry are usually Glock 17 Gen 5 with Streamlight TLR-1HL Glock 19 Gen 5, or Smith & Wesson Shield Plus, all in 9mm, all with 147-grain Federal HST. Been using the 147-grain HST for a long time in a lot of guns and it, like the 124 +P Gold Dot, has never failed to feed or function in everything from a Glock 43 to a Beretta 92A1. Pocket carry is a Ruger LCP Max .380 with 90-grain Critical Defense for hot months and NPE. In my desk drawer at work is my Glock 17 Gen 4 with 147-grain HST, Streamlight TLR-1, and Ameriglo CAPs that was my home defense for about 3-4 years prior to my G17 Gen 5.

Home rifle is my ~12 year old Daniel Defense M4V1, Serial 0006xx, with two 30-round Magpul M3 Window Pmags filled with Hornady 53-grain GMX and mounting a Primary Arms Microprism and a left-hand side-mount Streamlight TLR-1.

I will probably never stop buying new guns. I would love to be that minimalist but the process of getting a new one, checking it out, cleaning it, shooting it for the first time, is my main hobby and greatest joy. We can't just work to pay bills, we have to have fun.

What I took from P-F and maturing as a hobbyist is that it's fine and fantastic to have a thousand guns if you want, but pick a setup you trust and use it everywhere so it's familiar. I am familiar with just about every gun under the sun but all my serious use guns are Glocks or M2.0 Smiths with nearly identical manuals of arms. Familiarity allows for a focus on training, and I've seen major dividends at the range as my Glocks have become the guns I easily shoot best after years of focused practice with that platform.

JRB
07-27-2022, 07:46 PM
I had fun describing this experience in another thread where some serious cork-sniffing navel-gazer was worried about 9mm. So I'll be that guy (again) and quote myself:

The 12 step P-F sidearm selection cycle:

Step 1 - Buy/Own a pistol
Step 2 - Take it to the range, shoot it until you trust it and feel confident; CHL permit+McHolster.
Step 3 - blahblahblahblahblahblah
Step 4 - Get a Glock 19/Beretta 92 and take a class; realize shot timer phone apps are garbage; McHolsters suck
Step 5 - Realize you shoot a Beretta 92/Glock/(Other Gun) better during the class
Step 6 - Buy six flavors of Beretta/Glock/(Other Gun) and holsters
Step 7 - 1911...oooo shiny
Step 8 - Take another class; how did I end up with so many holsters; dot torture
Step 9 - Distracted diversion to HK/CZ/Sig/M&P/[Other Gun]; sell off guns and holsters to buy more guns and holsters
Step 10 - REVOLVERS, BY GOD!
Step 11 - Carry Optics/Red Dots/All the Widgets and Gizmos
Step 12 - Return to Step 1.

This is Step 3 thinking. Spend as little time on Step 3 as possible. Enjoy all the other steps.

My only significant deviance from this cycle has been in step 9 - I rarely sell guns. So I've accumulated a lot of stuff that really isn't the best answer; but I've never needed to re-buy a decent gun either.

Sure, there are days when I seriously entertain the notion of going 'THIS. IS. SPARTAAAAA.' on my collection, and liquidating everything until it's a handful of truly sentimental guns and a brace of sorted out 6920's or BCM's with a matching brace of G5 Glocks with a pair of PX4CC's because my wife loves her PX4 compacts and won't abide discussion of anything else.
Then I open my safe and enjoy the range-trip or hunting-trip memories with some and the mechanical design fascination with others, and I've just got no inclination to sell any of them. So the cycle repeats.

As for my own story as a CHL holder; I started with a W.German marked P220 in .45. Then a circa '94 G2G19. Then an HK USP45, then a Beretta 92, then an HK45C, and now I'm on G5 Glocks. If Glock made a G5G26 MOS in a footprint that was adapter-free for a closed-emitter Holosun I think I'd finally arrive at the perfect carry gun for me. Until then, the various other Glock builds wearing red dots will do the trick.

mmc45414
07-28-2022, 05:33 AM
A significant simplification
And in the midst of this simplification smack talk I just ordered a set of grips for a revolver I do not own, is not on order, and is just something I intend to buy at some point someday.

But now that I have the grips for it, hmmmmm..... :cool:

Cory
07-28-2022, 06:47 AM
I think of my guns as belonging to different groups. If I had the space I would keep the groups seperated in different safes.

Family guns. I have guns that are sentimental. The 22 Marlin rifle that was my first gun. It was a hard year, and Mom and Dad sold a pair of Astra pistols to get me and my brother our first real guns. It was the only gift that Christmas and I was thrilled. I've inherited my Grandfather's 22mag. Very important to me. Another Grandfather's 20G bolt action. Beyond beautiful gun, and while worthless to the world it's priceless to me. There are others.

Hunting guns. Pretty much, shotguns. The first gun I bought myself, a Remington 1187 Premier with 2 barrels. A Mossy 835. I could see a bolt rifle in this group at some point. And maybe an A400 because 12s are love.

Fun/Collection. An Army issued M17. Dan Wesson Valor. Things that are cool, that I like owning.

Defense. A pair of 92s. A J frame. A 1301. A BCM middy. A G17. But that's where it gets muddy. I love the 92s far more, but I'm thinking of concentrating on the Glock. If rds is the future, and I want to go further down the integrated grappling path, the 92 is just harder to do financially. The 92 is easier to shoot, I have higher confidence with it, I'm a TDA believer. Glocks are fairly lifeless, but cheaper to move to RDS and have better options for training.

So some stuff fits in more than one place. My Dan Wesson says Norwich NY on it. One town over from where I grew up. It's nearly sentimental. My LTT is serial number 22, and I was early enough to pick that. My son was born on the 22nd. It's worn but should it be sentimental for him? My wife gifted me my J frame. It's an absolute defensive gun for me. But it's special. My 1301 is a defensive gun... that I love shooting clays with and would pig hunt with.

I'm just too all over the place for linear progression. Maybe because I grew up an upstate New York redneck, but I dont think of gun ownership as a path I'm on. It's more like the clothes I wear while I walk.

HeavyDuty
07-28-2022, 06:57 AM
And in the midst of this simplification smack talk I just ordered a set of grips for a revolver I do not own, is not on order, and is just something I intend to buy at some point someday.

But now that I have the grips for it, hmmmmm..... :cool:

That’s called a “seed.”

BWT
07-28-2022, 08:17 AM
That’s called a “seed.”

My first AR-15 started as a broken Magpul MIAD grip I got in a trade from a friend. He didn’t tell me the backstrap was jacked up, but offered it in exchange if I bought a MOE. I brought it up to Magpul and they replaced it.

Then bought complete lower/upper.

LockedBreech
07-28-2022, 10:23 AM
Defense. A pair of 92s. A J frame. A 1301. A BCM middy. A G17. But that's where it gets muddy. I love the 92s far more, but I'm thinking of concentrating on the Glock. If rds is the future, and I want to go further down the integrated grappling path, the 92 is just harder to do financially. The 92 is easier to shoot, I have higher confidence with it, I'm a TDA believer. Glocks are fairly lifeless, but cheaper to move to RDS and have better options for training.

That was my exact dilemma circa 2018. I will always love the 92 platform the most of any gun. I'm also pretty good with it. I think with frequent practice it's probably possible to shoot the Beretta better and faster. Few things are going to beat a crisp single action trigger on a metal framed 4.9" barrel gun shooting 9mm in terms of rapid repeat target strikes. But when reality kicks in, there's the Glock. When I'm not able to practice as much and would prefer one trigger pull to two different ones, there's the Glock. When I don't want to worry quite as much about lubrication, there's the Glock. When I might need to carry the full-size and weight is a concern, there's the Glock. And as you note, holsters/parts/maintenance/mounting options are always going to be cheapest with the Glock.

It's sorta how I really love my friend's BMW 3-series, and absolutely could have picked one of those when I was car shopping. As a driving experience, it kicks the pants off my Subaru. But I live in the mountains, and the Subaru means I'm confident to drive no matter what weather hits. Would have loved to go with the BMW, but life dictated the Subaru. Same with picking the G17.

I think the 92 conversation is pretty similar to the 1911-as-primary conversation actually. Yes it can work, yes it can work vey well, but you're gonna need to put some extra time and care into it.

mizer67
07-28-2022, 12:45 PM
I chased the latest thing for several years.

Fortunately, realized that I shot Glocks best. And while I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, pre-gen 5 Glocks could be improved. With the current generation out of the box it's pretty much just replacing sights that's a must.

Glocks and ARs for anything serious for me now, but it's nice to have other guns to play with once in a while. I still do want to try a Sig P365, but resisting the urge.

LockedBreech
07-28-2022, 01:13 PM

Fortunately, realized that I shot Glocks best. And while I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, pre-gen 5 Glocks could be improved. With the current generation out of the box it's pretty much just replacing sights that's a must.

Glocks and ARs for anything serious for me now, but it's nice to have other guns to play with once in a while. I still do want to try a Sig P365, but resisting the urge.

Give in. The P365 rules and I’m no Sig fanboy.

breakingtime91
07-28-2022, 05:08 PM
Give in. The P365 rules and I’m no Sig fanboy.

100%. So much so that my sig 320 (m18 build) may get sent down the river and replaced with a light equipped sig 365xl with the new 17 round mags for bedside/belt duty. It would be the fourth sig 365xl in the safe.

mmc45414
07-28-2022, 05:18 PM
That’s called a “seed.”
Yes, I know...
But my scheme is to match my 637 to be identical to my 360PD. But I know at some point I want to get a 317, soooooo.... :cool:
ETA: The grips I wanted for the 637 had been unavailable, so when they became available I bought two pair, one for the 637 and one for the 317.

My first AR-15 started as a broken Magpul MIAD grip I got in a trade from a friend.
The scariest seeds I have are two AR-10 magazines I traded for, and I do not have an AR-10.

OlongJohnson
07-28-2022, 06:04 PM
I have a whole 350Z transmission sitting on a pallet now. That’s a scary seed.

HCM
07-28-2022, 11:24 PM

Glock Service pistols rule. Especially the Gen 5 with the new breech face cut.

In slim line guns, the P365 series rules. Not only are they better than the slim Glocks (43, 43X, 48) but I believe it’s an improvement on the 320 as well.

CSW
07-29-2022, 04:46 AM

4 Glocks.

A J-frame.

An 870.

An AR.

Done.

An exercise in self control.
Well played sir.

I was a 'collector' for a spell, [read accumulator] then had a massive sell off.
As of late, been concentrating [or trying] on carry and/or defensive weapons.

My own admitted fault is that I'll get into a platform for 3-4 years, have a brain fart, and jump to another platform.
This has been a cycle, which I believe I've ceased with the 9mm 1911 about 4 years ago.

HeavyDuty
07-29-2022, 08:10 AM
I’m embarrassed to detail my progression, and to be honest I’m not sure I could remember everything. But in broad strokes I was a poor for enough years that I only had a few guns at a time until about ten years ago where I made up for lost time. A 640, 3913, 1911 and G23.2 was what I had for defensive use, and a Ruger MkII and my grandfather’s K-22 for fun. Earlier on I had a LW Commander in .38 Super and then an ASP for a few years, but they both went down the road years ago - they were too expensive to shoot and enjoy.

These days I dabble in a lot of systems for my own enjoyment, but Glocks are my primary defensive guns supplemented by a P365. Looking at what is loaded and holstered in the safe shows a 26.5, a 26.5 milled for a RMRcc, a 43, a 43 milled for a RMRcc, a 27.5 milled for a RMR, a 42 and a P365. I’ve recently gotten back into 1911s with a pair of DWs and a Ruger, I don’t know if these will cross over to daily carry or not… but I suspect they will.

CSW
07-29-2022, 08:21 AM
When I dabbled in Glock, I had several 17s, a 34, a 22, 23, 26 and 27.
Out of all of them, I believe that I shot a gen 3 26 the best.

mizer67
07-29-2022, 10:51 AM
Glock Service pistols rule. Especially the Gen 5 with the new breech face cut.

In slim line guns, the P365 series rules. Not only are they better than the slim Glocks (43, 43X, 48) but I believe it’s an improvement on the 320 as well.

The Gen 5's were my unicorns in double stacks for several reasons. But 17's of any generation are my favorite to shoot, I have big meat hooks.

My latest acquisition is a 48. I might get a 365XL to run back to back for T&E vs. the 48. Love the slim frame 9mm guns that are out now. I was away for a few years and nice to come back to the mfgs. putting these guns on the market.

JCN
07-29-2022, 11:52 PM
It's sorta how I really love my friend's BMW 3-series, and absolutely could have picked one of those when I was car shopping. As a driving experience, it kicks the pants off my Subaru. But I live in the mountains, and the Subaru means I'm confident to drive no matter what weather hits. Would have loved to go with the BMW, but life dictated the Subaru.

The solution to that is Audi / Porsche. The Audi/Porsche and Subaru AWD systems are the shit.

https://youtu.be/NRpDBzFFI1g

JCN
10-08-2022, 06:28 PM
I am finally happy where I am at and now can focus all the money I used to use chasing guns to ammo instead of both.

Who wins the over / under? :D

breakingtime91
10-08-2022, 06:29 PM
Who wins the over / under? :D

fml. lol

HCM
10-08-2022, 07:09 PM
fml. lol

This is one reason I still have my Glocks.

The other reason is if Biden and Vlad do trade nukes there will be two things left: Cockroaches and Glocks.

45dotACP
10-08-2022, 07:11 PM
fml. lolIt be like that sometimes.

So what kind of 1911 are you getting?

;)

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

CSW
10-08-2022, 07:16 PM
I have owned an XD9 since 2003 that has about 5k rounds thru, and runs flawlessly.

Yes, an xd.
Yes, not a glock.
Yes, I just admitted that I have an XD that runs without issues.

All this glock talk made me think of this.

Hope it doesn't get me kilt in da streets.

breakingtime91
10-08-2022, 07:22 PM

This is one reason I still have my Glocks.

The other reason is if Biden and Vlad do trade nukes there will be two things left: Cockroaches and Glocks.

I'm always coming back. My life has drastically changed in the last couple of years. Went from two kids to four (two step kids) and all of them are nearing hobby and sports ages. It means my hobbies have taken the back seat and I just need easy to work on and supply. Glock and ARs check those boxs

HCM
10-08-2022, 08:35 PM
I'm always coming back. My life has drastically changed in the last couple of years. Went from two kids to four (two step kids) and all of them are nearing hobby and sports ages. It means my hobbies have taken the back seat and I just need easy to work on and supply. Glock and ARs check those boxs

Well, I would keep one thing in mind. SIG is now #2 behind Glock and the aftermarket is growing. Then add in the fact that it’s a modular pistol, and it might make more sense for your logistics situation.

If you get a Glock 19 or 26 you’re stuck with that Glock 19 or 26. If you wanna try changing something in the grip and it doesn’t work out you either gotta sell it and get another gun or pay Glock 150 bucks for frame replacement.

With the 320 you can simply by 12 or 15 round magazines and the corresponding grip module. Basically, you can scale up and down as needed. The thumb safety could have some advantages and your situation. Wilson now has an X compact size (15 round / G19 size) grip.

Are you still running the P365 series guns as your primary carry? If so, it makes more sense to match the full-size house/range gun to your primary carry guns.

HeavyDuty
10-08-2022, 08:40 PM
Are you still running the P365 series guns as your primary carry? If so, it makes more sense to match the full-size house/range gun to your primary carry guns.

I have to agree if this is the case - maybe a unported XL with a Macro grip module as a big pistol, and a standard as a small one. I’ve actually considered this myself.

OlongJohnson
10-08-2022, 09:20 PM

And USPs.

From time to time, my mind wanders into an imagined scenario where I'm the central character in a Planet of the Apes situation. I manage to somehow find an actual gun, and realize it's my own USP .45 serendipitously come back around.

Probably taking my appreciation of the 297,###-round story a little too far.

But still, someone once posted on this forum that he bought a USP 9 FS that had been used as a manufacturer's ammo test gun. I'm thinking the number of documented rounds when he got it was something like 480k+. And he had taken it across the line past half a million.

Off the top of my head, the Glock that is in their museum after being used as an ammo test gun had a frame crack at 348k or something like that.

I have a few USPs. I haven't been tempted to get another Glock since I sold the one I had.

HCM
10-08-2022, 09:49 PM
And USPs.

From time to time, my mind wanders into an imagined scenario where I'm the central character in a Planet of the Apes situation. I manage to somehow find an actual gun, and realize it's my own USP .45 serendipitously come back around.

Probably taking my appreciation of the 297,###-round story a little too far.

But still, someone once posted on this forum that he bought a USP 9 FS that had been used as a manufacturer's ammo test gun. I'm thinking the number of documented rounds when he got it was something like 480k+. And he had taken it across the line past half a million.

Off the top of my head, the Glock that is in their museum after being used as an ammo test gun had a frame crack at 348k or something like that.

I have a few USPs. I haven't been tempted to get another Glock since I sold the one I had.

I think you were misremembering regarding the USP test pistol. The reality is still impressive.,

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/a-chat-with-an-hk-armorer-must-read.160710/

There was a story posted on HK PRO which was later verified. Source was an HK USA employee. Federal Ammunition sent in a 1990s USP 45 full size for service with a reported round count of 297,000.

I will say the USPC’s were the most durable of the three different.40 cal platforms my agency issued over the years, at least after they fixed the firing pin breakage issue in the early guns.

OlongJohnson
10-08-2022, 10:57 PM
I think you were misremembering regarding the USP test pistol. The reality is still impressive.,

https://www.hkpro.com/threads/a-chat-with-an-hk-armorer-must-read.160710/

There was a story posted on HK PRO which was later verified. Source was an HK USA employee. Federal Ammunition sent in a 1990s USP 45 full size for service with a reported round count of 297,000.

I will say the USPC’s were the most durable of the three different.40 cal platforms my agency issued over the years, at least after they fixed the firing pin breakage issue in the early guns.

That HKPro post is the one I referenced with "the 297,###-round story..."

This is the other one I was thinking of. I guess I just assumed that he'd shot the other 3,875 rounds to get it past 500,000. We'll have to wait and see if HALO51 responds to confirm that or not.

Yes, I concur. I sent a VP9 for it's 65,000 round inspection & installation of sights, Of course, no issues and spoke to Tommy Brooker and Ryan Waldorf, excellent, professional and same day turnaround. Amazing CS @ HK.

I have a used USP9 I purchased from a well known ammo company that they used as a "test" pistol for there manufacturing process. Well documented round count when i bought it had it at 477,000 rounds. I bought the pistol only because the record keeping on this pistol was fascinating & meticulous what they said about it the USP. Absolutely no maintenance issues except changed RSA every 25,000 rounds.

Sent it to HK when I received it, No problems. I have another 19,125 through it so it's approaching 500,000 rounds. USP's are bombproof with legendary durability, reliability with the dual recoil spring. Frame gets absolutely no battering at all. I just shake my head when I see all these people want to put in aftermarket parts in HK's. They have no idea what cyclic rates with slides and so forth that was engineered into these guns. Don't mess with them. Just shoot them

ETA: Found a discussion of the 348k Glock used as an ammo test gun at a Hirtenberger plant (don't get bogged down in the derp):

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523220

Not sure what is meant by the barrel "lacerated," but I'm guessing maybe split? I must have misremembered that when I wrote frame cracked above.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5506933&postcount=56

RevolverRob
10-09-2022, 09:56 PM
Some day a cleansing rain will come and bring with it a USP Fullsize Match-Hybrid LEM with optics mount and proper 1913 rail.

Until then, I guess 1911s and revolvers will do.

---