PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Pistol-Training.com Concealed Carry Skills class in Culpeper VA 8-9 Sept 2012

Mr Pink
09-13-2012, 04:06 PM
I recently attended the inaugural Concealed Carry Skills class in Culpeper VA. I enjoy reading AARs, but I think it adds to it if we know the shooting skills or background of those writing the AAR. It makes it easier to exercise due diligence.

After a few years of not shooting much, I decided get back in the swing of things. In a former life I was a former Special Forces CQB & marksmanship instructor. I have a Master class rating in IDPA (SSP) and an Advanced rating from the Rogers Shooting course. Additionally, I have been to over 20 formal shooting schools.

I have an outline below of what we did, but first here are a few things that I found particularly useful:

-During Todd's initial lecture he discussed the importance of pro-timers. Careful study of police and civilian shooting incidents show that during engagements, the average bad guy shoots a round about every quarter of a second or .25. Using the pro-timer to reduce your times by .25 could mean the difference of a bullet hole in yourself. Basically, an additional second added to your technique is approximately 4 rounds fired by the bad guy.

-Todd discussed the draw and incorporating the press out. The press out is a very efficient and practical way of running a pistol. I had learned it before, but over the years, reverted back to a sloppy presentation technique. It is one of the many things that I will put effort into re-learning.

-Another interesting thing about the class was that Todd only spends a small amount of time working malfunctions and clearing drills. His first recommendation is to buy a handgun that works and he pointed out that most dependable handguns will fire 2000 rds before having a stoppage. Some people spend a great deal of time perfecting a clearing drill for something that has little chance of happening, when they should be more focused on the fundamentals. Not that they aren't important, just that we don't need to spend hours training stoppages.

-We had 10 students in our class and we were broken up into 2 shooting groups. While one group shot the other would reload magazines. Once the shooting started there was very little down time. Todd would walk up and down the line making corrections. He has a very keen eye and can spot seemingly unnoticeable errors. Those corrections (if followed) made huge differences in our shooting results.

-Todd's post shooting procedures were very similar to the way that I had been doing it for years with the exception of following the target to the ground. I found this to be very practical and will definitely add this to my toolbox.

Training with Todd was an excellent opportunity and I look forward to getting into one of his AFHF courses. I highly recommend training with him and would gladly take this course again.

Here's a brief outline of what we did:

DAY 1 :

1 - Introduction (About an hour)
- Instructor Background
- Class outline: - Not a typical CCW class - Focus more on technical skills and Target Identification & Threats
- Explanation of drills and the system (high, low, even, odd, left, right)
- Use of pro-timers (discussion of importance of quarter of seconds / 1 sec = 4 shots)
- Draw and Reload drills
- Outline of Sunday: - Malfunction drills/clearing techniques.
- Use of cover/ clearing house or call 911?
- Man vs Man competitions (shooting under stress - your skill level under stress is your "habit" - what you've been doing)
- Safety on the range : Discussing the 4 Range Rules:
1 - Finger off the trigger unless sights aligned on the threat, ready to shoot
2 - All Guns are loaded
3 - Always know your target and what's behind it
4 - Never point your gun at anything you are not willing to shoot
- Importance of scanning before holstering (a lot of people accidentally shot themselves holstering too fast)
- Designation of Medic, 911 caller, Blow out kit

Break 10 mins

2 - Range Test
- 5 Shots to the head not timed

3 - Lecture again (About an hour)
- Difference between concealed carry guns and training gun
- ECQC class recommended
- Picking the right gear and clothing for concealed guns
- Carry spare mags dedicated only for the real world and not training
- Shooting position:
- Weaver stance does not work - People crouch under stress
- Gripping Gun and Recoil management:
- Strong Hand high on Gun / Pinkie of support hand pointed down
- Sights:
- Perfect Sight picture : "Equal Light, Equal Height" - Not always needed
- Buzz phrase: " See What you need to See"
- "Follow Thru": Seeing the Front Sights lift vs "seeing the target again"
- Reset Trigger but don't loose contact with the trigger
- Post Shooting Ritual:
- Follow the threat down to the ground after you shoot
- Come to ready position
- Scan with head and eyes - look left, right and over shoulder
- Reload gun before putting it away
- Press check
- Holster

4 - Range Exercise
1 - All the class
- 3 Yards line: Fire 2 Shots on the 8''circle , 2 shots on the 3x5 card, 2 shots on A, 2 shots on the square
- 5 Yards line: Repeat the same thing, same targets if you haven't miss any of them - Don't shoot the targets you missed
- 7 Yards line: Same
- 10 Yards line: Same

2 - Class divided into Two Relays - Targets numbered from 1 to 10
Squad 1: Each person has 2 targets: Fire upon calling High, Low, Even, Odd, left, right
Squad Alpha: Same thing

3 - Steel Competition
2 Plates Racks - Actor vs Reactor - Actor must ask Reactor "Are you Ready" - then Actor does the first move - Reactor moves afterwards

5 - Lunch Break

6 - Reloads Lecture
- Difference between types of Reloads - Only one type of reload will be practiced : Slide Lock Reload
Steps: - Get rid of empty magazine by pressing magazine release button
- How to grip the magazine
- How to insert magazine in gun
- Press Slide release

7 - Range Exercise
- Load 4 mags with 3 rounds in each - Fire one - Reload Fire 2
- Steel competition with Reload
- Load 21 rounds total in 4 mags randomly - 2 Relays: Fire 3 on Target upon calling low left high right etc....
(practice stepping before shooting, stepping while reloading, stepping while scanning)

8 - FAST Drill Test (End of day)

DAY 2 :

1 - FAST Drill test (First thing in the morning)

2 - Lecture
- Strong Hand Practice
- Advantages of using Strong Hand (examples: people have tendency of using strong only under stress, using flashlight)
- How to Draw with Strong Hand
- How to Reload with Strong Hand

3 - Range Exercise
- 2 relays: Load 4 mags with 21 rounds randomly , Draw with Strong Hand and fire 3 rounds upon calling low left high etc...And Practice Reloads

4 - Malfunctions
a - Lecture:Tap Rack situation explanation
Range Exercise
- Load 30 rounds with 5 dummy rounds randomly in 4 mags - Using 2 hands Fire 3 shots upon calling low left high etc...
- Strong Hand practice: Dry Fire only exercise
b - Lecture: Double Feed situation
Range Exercise:
- Dry Fire only using dummy rounds

5 - Steel Competition
- Partner must load your mag with 5 live rounds and one dummy round

6 - Lunch Break

7 - Range Exercise
- Drills upon calling low high left etc...
- Steel competition (Distance shooting - Team competition (including running)

8 - Use of Cover
a - Lecture:
- What is Cover and why do we use it ("Cover is not a safe place, it's not bulletproof, it's just a platform to shoot from")
- Must use cover fast and move
- Must slice the pie when using cover
b - Range Exercise:
- Using Barricade, shoot upon calling Left or Right side - Standing
- Using Barrels, shoot upon calling Left, Right or Top of the barrel - Kneeling

9 - Steel Competition
- Actor vs Reactor

10 - FAST Drill Test

11 - More Steel Competition

12 - Triple Nickel Drill
- Load 8 rounds in one mag and 2 rounds in another mag. Must fire 10 rounds on 5 targets (2each) and perform a slide lock reload under 5 seconds

13 - Clean Range

14 - Graduation and Certificates

Sheep Have Wool
09-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the AAR!

What was the range of skill level of the shooters in the class?

Mr Pink
09-13-2012, 05:30 PM
What was the range of skill level of the shooters in the class?

Everyone had taken a formal training course, and a few were AFHF graduates. The overall skill levels varied and ranged from high to low. I think we, as a class, were probably in the middle.

MDS
09-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Great AAR, thanks! I have yet to get to a TLG class, this sort of AAR makes me want to more than ever. :)

Al T.
09-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Very nice AAR, thanks! :)

Mr_White
09-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Nice AAR. Sounds like a great class!

VolGrad
09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
-Another interesting thing about the class was that Todd only spends a small amount of time working malfunctions and clearing drills. His first recommendation is to buy a handgun that works and he pointed out that most dependable handguns will fire 2000 rds before having a stoppage. Some people spend a great deal of time perfecting a clearing drill for something that has little chance of happening, when they should be more focused on the fundamentals. Not that they aren't important, just that we don't need to spend hours training stoppages.Not to jack your thread but I too noticed this during the AFHF class I attended. I agree with Todd's logic here 100%. For the guys taking his classes .... CCW guys who buy quality weapons, maintain them, etc. ... spending a ton of time clearing malfs is not the best use of precious time.

Sheep Have Wool
09-21-2012, 02:29 PM
CCW guys who buy quality weapons, maintain them, etc.

I laughed.

Seriously, though, I'm curious if this class will be repeated, or if it was a one-off thing.