PDA

View Full Version : Hill People Gear Kit Bag

vaspence
03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Hill People Gear Kit Bag
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/

First let me preface by how great Evan was to deal with. I emailed last minute for one of these before a class and they had it to me with a day to spare, great customer service.

My quandry, I do search and rescue (volunteer) and was looking for a way to carry something larger than my P3AT in a way that it would be accessible and not scream holster. Standard holsters don't work well because we wear packs. I considered a couple of micro or small chest rigs but they are what they are, although some searchers use them with admin pouches mounted. There are also the Coaxsher/Conterra, etc. radio chest harnesses but the ones I looked at didn't have enough room to stash even a G26 comfortably. In steps the Hill People Gear Kit Bag.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/spenceinva/G19gen42000roundtest056-1.jpg

It consists of three zippered pockets with the rearmost being a discreet pistol pocket. The two front pockets have plenty of room for whatever you'd like to carry, you could possibly overload this if you are a gear junkie but for SAR work it easily holds a Foretrex 301, Eggroll 3x5 pouch, Suunto M-3 and a map. The second pocket I use for a headlamp, flashlight, flagging tape, tape measure, snacks (mini cliff bars). It doesn't weigh much with that load. The cool for this pouch (both in temp and feature) is the mesh panel in the back. Rather than just crossing the straps, etc. the straps connect to a mesh panel that fits unnoticed under a pack and is just plain comfortable. I have decent sized shoulders and it fits me like it was custom made.

Usage - I used this bag for 3 days in a Tracking Class. I wore it at least 6 hours each day/night with a loaded P30 in the pistol pocket along with various SAR and tracking related gear in the front two pockets. I also wore it under a loaded Kifaru Tailgunner the whole time. Weight was no issue, the rig wore well and even in coyote did not jump out to anyone as anything gun related. I then wore it with a G19 out for a mountain bike ride, no issues at all with it flopping, etc. bag stayed tight to my chest and didn't cause any overheating issues, etc.

The first pic shows all three pockets open. The top pocket is the front. The pistol is a G17 with a SF X200 on it.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/spenceinva/G19gen42000roundtest059-1.jpg

Buttoned up you can't see the third pocket zipper.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/spenceinva/G19gen42000roundtest063-1.jpg

Pistol pocket zipper exposed.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/spenceinva/G19gen42000roundtest064-1.jpg

I left the zippers open with about a 1.5 - 2 inch gap and tucked the pulls inside the pouch. This allows me to get two fingers into the opening and pull the pocket open quickly. The flap covers this with no problem. I played with this with the SERT in it for the last week or so. Yesterday I took it to the range and was averaging 2.6 seconds for a 3x5 index card hit at 5 yards with the G19. With the P30 I averaged 3.2 or so on an 8 inch circle at the same distance. (I'm new to the P30 DA/SA and having fits)

G17 in pouch
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/spenceinva/G19gen42000roundtest065-1.jpg

P30 in pouch
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/spenceinva/G19gen42000roundtest066-1.jpg

G19 in pouch
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o30/spenceinva/G19gen42000roundtest062-1.jpg

I didn't go into the details of construction and cool features, etc. Ask if you have any questions. Evan is on the board and can answer any specifics. It's working great for me.

Customer Service: If you go to their site you'll note in the video that they use a webbing attachment to keep a Foretrex 301 attached to the pouch. I emailed Evan asking what I needed to make one and a little later an envelope arrived with the webbing attachment in it.

Definitely a specific purpose rig for me but it seems to be doing what I need it to do well and I'm happy.

SmokeJumper
03-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Excellent Review...gonna get one as well.

MDS
03-24-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm thinking about one as well - for carrying with hiking backpacks as well as bicycling. I wonder, though, about the possibility of dropping the gun during the draw, since there's nothing holding it in place once the zipper's yanked open. Is this a problem?

And thanks for the review!

vaspence
03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Has not been a problem for me and I'm sure Evan can chime in with more experience. The pouch opens down and across when you put your fingers inside and pull, your strong hand is already entering the pouch as it opens to grasp the pistol. In my experience the pouch doesn't open fully as I have shown in the pics. It opens all the way vertically down the entry side and maybe 2/3rds horizontally across the top.

scothill
03-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Both Evan and I have been using a kit bag of one generation or another for over 2 years. The earliest version had a holster for retention to address the issue you brought up. What we found was that not only was it not needed, but it actually was slower on the draw with a shot timer. After the first generation, and I think we are up to version 4 or so not counting the Koala, none have had a holster. In fact, I have never carried one with a holster. The pistol is secure in that it doesn't bounce around and sets right where you put it basically. When you do the rip to open it for the draw it sets away from your body slightly allowing a quicker easier grip, but that is it. There are no issues with it falling out or retention. VASpence is correct in that it never opens all the way unless you want it to and physically move the zippers yourself. Otherwise you get the draw side all the way open and about 3/4 or less on the top open. In addition, to using it for our everyday outdoor activities (mtbiking, boating, hiking, xc skiing, etc...) we have both worn it through a precision rifle class, Randy Cain's Practical Rifle class, and a Vickers Carbine Class. Turns out that the pistol pocket makes a pretty decent mag pouch for 2-3 mags without the pistol in there. For the Cain class I was running M14 magazines with the top completely unzipped and the sides zipped to just shy of the top. Even in that instance retention wasn't a problem even when I got into the prone position quickly. In the Vickers class I did notice that it was possible to hook the right zipper, I am right handed, with the charging handle (gunfighter Mod3) and slowly unzip it a bit over time.

I hope that helps.

dravz
03-24-2011, 08:47 PM
There goes another $100! Thanks... :rolleyes:

:cool:

SLG
03-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Great write up, thanks!

As I've said before, the Kit Bag is a great piece of kit, and Hill People Gear is designed by serious users. Scot and Evan are on the forum here, so don't hesitate to ask them questions.

The longer I have the bag, the more uses I've been finding for it.

Kyle Reese
03-26-2011, 11:17 AM
I need to pick one up as well!

ChuckSS
03-26-2011, 08:28 PM
I may have to get one of these and throw some pepper spray/dog repellent in the front pocket for running and biking.

41magfan
03-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Logistics (the big brown truck) is scheduled to deliver mine this week.

I'm glad someone finally addressed this method of carry, as it's been totally neglected by the mainstream gear and holster makers. I've suggested the idea to numerous vendors over the last 20+ years with no reward.

I still think there's a marketable chest platform for Blackhawk to develop with their SERPA stuff - easy on, easy off, easy change - but I didn't get a response from them when I mentioned the idea.

SLG
03-28-2011, 11:12 AM
41magfan, check your pm's

evanhill
03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
41magfan - I didn't connect the screen name and shipping name. Thanks for your order! You'll find that this is a great way to carry a .41 mag if you're so inclined as well. N-frame, Ruger, etc. The center piece of closed cell foam between the pistol compartment and your chest is just enough to keep the cylinder from digging into your chest.

Twobuh
04-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Just finished packing the Kit Bag for my daily bicycle commute (13 miles each way on a cyclocross/touring bike). *I plan on carrying the bag for the next four days. *Lots of rain is certain. *I do not carry a pistol during my daily commute because It's not allowed in the office, but I often carry in a backpack when mountain biking on evenings and weekends. *If all goes wel it will serve as my commute/carry bag. I'll post a review this weekend.*

Shellback
09-16-2011, 01:01 PM
It's been 6 months since this thread was started. I was wondering what people thought of the kit bag after being able to put some more miles on it? Would you still recommend the bag? What types of shortcomings does it have? Any areas you see needing improvements? Does the lack of organizational straps/loops hinder the utility of the bag from staying "organized", ie Condor T&T Pouch? Finally, anything else out there I should consider besides the HPG bag?

My primary usage for the bag will be hiking and outdoor activities in the great outdoors. One of my primary reasons for carrying the bag will be concealed carry coupled with a backpack utilizing a waist belt. I'll also be carrying items like a compass, map, knife, GPS, flashlight, boo-boo items, etc. for hiking without a backpack.

From what I've seen doing research on the web this is probably the best way to go for my needs I just wanted to hear people's responses before slapping down the greenbacks. I also realize the owners of HPG are members of this forum and look forward to hearing their input and responses as well.

Thanks!

Maple Syrup Actual
09-16-2011, 01:44 PM
I picked up one about six months ago. Honestly I am not sure if I can think of any changes I would want.

No CCW up here in Canada so my two applications have been pistol classes and running sans-pistol. I do a lot of interval training so I started using the HPG kit bag just to hold my ipod so I could hear the interval alarms, but then I started leaving my gun gear minus the gun and mags - that is an FAK, knife, light, phone, etc - in it while running as well, partly "just in case" and partly because I was too lazy to constantly empty it out.

So not only have I used this in a "run and gun" scenario, I have also used it extensively in a plain-old-run scenario. My interval training consists of a lot of sprinting so as you can imagine the stability of the bag has been thoroughly tested.

Basic thoughts on the bag and harness: this bag kicks ass.

Details:

You have to be a little conscious of your re-holster. It's easy to go sweeping the muzzle over things like your weak side lung if you're not careful (well, at least your weak side nipple). It's very easy to sweep your weak side arm if you don't get it out of the way first. But a small amount of thought and practise and it's easily surmountable. I used mine in the low-light portion of a Hackathorn class and liked it. Everybody who sees it, wants one. I ended up passing it around to about five different guys to finger fuck it because the second you see it, it's like, "OH! Of COURSE!!!"

Final verdict...it just kicks so much ass.

Shellback
09-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Final verdict...it just kicks so much ass.

Just the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks!

vaspence
09-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Still using mine! With bow season coming up I'm excited to get to try it in another venue. I have been shooting my bow with it on and there is no interference. Between this and the Kindle, my load of hunting gear has gotten a lot slimmer.

I have continued to use mine when doing SAR work and even used it a fair amount this summer when I was kayaking or canoeing. Didn't use the original bag as much after August because I snatched up a Runner's Kit Bag. I've been using this one a lot when mountain biking, etc. and when you don't need to carry a lot of extra gear this is great.

I'll add a plug for the HPG water bottle holders also. One of each has been on my TG-1 for the last 4 months through a fair amount of SAR work and training and held up just fine with no bottle losses.

Which GPS are you using?

Shellback
09-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Order placed! :cool:

Shellback
09-22-2011, 12:24 PM
The UPS guy just dropped off the HPG bag an hour ago. Tried it on, adjusted it and it fits like a champ. From the initial inspection it appears to be very well made and will serve my purposes perfectly. I'll get some photos posted soon.

Shellback
10-01-2011, 01:26 PM
All I can about HPG is outfuckingstanding world class customer service! :cool: Very happy with my kit bag and also the unexpected gift they sent me. Thanks again HPG!

MDS
12-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Finally ordered mine. First outing, attached to my backpack, just a short hike of a mile or two. Not much to say other than construction is excellent and I'm sure it'll meet my high expectations. Here's an action shot.

TGS
12-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Finally ordered mine. First outing, attached to my backpack, just a short hike of a mile or two. Not much to say other than construction:) is excellent and I'm sure it'll meet my high expectations. Here's an action shot.

It'd be great if you showed up to your next class in your gear, complete with baby dolls.

Train like you fight, right? :)

JAD
12-18-2011, 11:21 AM
It'd be great if you showed up to your next class in your gear, complete with baby dolls.

Um. I don't think those are dolls.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.008033,-94.595781

TGS
12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Um. I don't think those are dolls.

ummm..........duh?

You think I would suggest he bring his actual babies to a shooting course? Maybe use dolls instead?

Well, it was a joke. I guess I'll go crawl back under my rock now.

SLG
12-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Mario,

I don't think you understand the point of the kit bag. It's for your gun, not your baby. Unless I saw it wrong, and your baby is the one wearing the kit bag to carry (her?) own gun? Hillpeoplegear debated on making a smaller kitbag to fit me, but I didn't think they could go THAT small.

ToddG
12-18-2011, 12:31 PM
I think we've found our next Motivational Poster contest image...

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/111218.jpg

JAD
12-18-2011, 01:34 PM

http://9x19mm.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/111218.jpg

"WHO RUNS BARTERTOWN?"
MasterBlaster Runs Bartertown.

JAD
12-18-2011, 01:36 PM
ummm..........duh?

You think I would suggest he bring his actual babies to a shooting course? Maybe use dolls instead?

Well, it was a joke. I guess I'll go crawl back under my rock now.

I was joking, TGS -- sorry.

MDS
12-19-2011, 08:50 PM

Train like you fight, right? :)

Totally, as soon as I figure out how to mount plates and the rest of my EDC, and as long as they don't make me sit on top of the berm for missing my headshots. Although, if I bring dolls, how will we practice the team tactics?

I don't think you understand the point of the kit bag. It's for your gun, not your baby. Unless I saw it wrong, and your baby is the one wearing the kit bag to carry (her?) own gun? Hillpeoplegear debated on making a smaller kitbag to fit me, but I didn't think they could go THAT small.

Why choose? I'm still finalizing the details, but the idea is that the gun on my hip is for the 2-year-old, the gun in the 6-month-old's diaper is for me, and the gun in the kit bag is for the 6-month-old. A smaller kit bag won't hold his deagle. (I know, but he's young yet and I hope he'll learn. Also, let me know if you want to hear about my gun cleaning routine.)

Is it wrong that their middle names are Leatham and Sevigny? Also, I stole your idea for the actual contest.

vaspence
12-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Why choose? I'm still finalizing the details, but the idea is that the gun on my hip is for the 2-year-old, the gun in the 6-month-old's diaper is for me, and the gun in the kit bag is for the 6-month-old. A smaller kit bag won't hold his deagle.

I knew my hunch was correct!:)

And after reading the revolver forum, with a 3yo and 11-month old I figure I can up the ante and let the boys have a couple J frame .22s each (.22 + .22 = .44 ;))

SmokeJumper
12-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Now we just need a youtube video of a draw execution while packing the little ones... As a side note, AIWB carry and kit bag did not work while packing the little SJ#2 in front in a chest carrier.

Shellback
02-14-2012, 01:10 PM
I've been using the HPG bag for quite some time now and am still very impressed. It holds everything I need for day hikes including a G19, spare mag, flashlight, firestarter, knife, tourniquet and a few other odds & ends and boo-boo items. I often go hiking in the hills by our house and bring the lil guy along in his backpack carrier thingie. The HPG bag works perfectly with a child carrier, even when the lil guy's snoozing.

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/3465/hiking.jpg

No motivational posters needed. ;)

MDS
02-14-2012, 10:16 PM
I've been using the HPG bag for quite some time now and am still very impressed. It holds everything I need for day hikes including a G19, spare mag, flashlight, firestarter, knife, tourniquet and a few other odds & ends and boo-boo items. I often go hiking in the hills by our house and bring the lil guy along in his backpack carrier thingie. The HPG bag works perfectly with a child carrier, even when the lil guy's snoozing.

[IMG]http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/3465/hiking.jpg[IMG]

No motivational posters needed. ;)

Good times!

John Ralston
02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Love the skull and cross bones on the little guy's stocking cap!

Shellback
02-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Good times!
Can't wait to get him out shooting! He's only 15 months now but he's a moose.

Love the skull and cross bones on the little guy's stocking cap!
Thanks! The wife suits him up in skulls and/or camo most of the time. :)

seabiscuit
04-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Runner's Kit Bag? Does the shock cord and its lockers bother you on runs, especially 1hr+ runs?