PDA

View Full Version : troy buis question

iakdrago
09-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I just bought troy bios rear sight ander after initial inspection discovered a potential problem. The apperature is positioned opposite to the way it is in my dd fixed rear. On the dd the flat part is away from the shooter, with the concave par towards the eye. On the troy, the ""bowl" is toward the eye, and the flat part is towards the target. Which is the correct way? I was going to go and sight in the new sight tomorrow and would like the potential error before having to re sight again.

Thanks

Jay Cunningham
09-12-2012, 07:28 PM
That's an interesting question, since many smart people consider the "correct" way to be not correct.

iakdrago
09-12-2012, 07:31 PM
That's an interesting question, since many smart people consider the "correct" way to be not correct.

Jay could you please ellaborate?

John Ralston
09-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I think we need clarification, since you described the same orientation for both sights...so maybe they are both correct.

iakdrago
09-12-2012, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=John Ralston;91215]I think we need clarification, since you described the same orientation for both sights...so maybe they are both correct.[/QUOTE

Sorry about that, having trouble edditing the original post on my phone. It should read

On DD, the flat part is towards the target, and the "bowl" is towards the eye.
On Troy, the flat part is towards the shooter, and the bowl is towards the target.
I get home.
**ill edit the original post when

Jay Cunningham
09-12-2012, 08:00 PM
The sights as installed on mil-spec guns have the "bowl" of the aperture towards the shooter's eye.

However some smarter fellas than me (who know a bit about the human eye and how light works) have insisted over the years that the sight should actually be installed with the flat towards the shooter's eye and the "bowl" facing downrange.

C45P312
09-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Maybe post a picture?!

John Ralston
09-13-2012, 09:02 AM
The sights as installed on mil-spec guns have the "bowl" of the aperture towards the shooter's eye.

However some smarter fellas than me (who know a bit about the human eye and how light works) have insisted over the years that the sight should actually be installed with the flat towards the shooter's eye and the "bowl" facing downrange.

I do believe that the smarter fellas are correct from a optical standpoint. It makes the opening crisper. This is also why rear sights on pistols often have a relief or widening of the notch.

Odin Bravo One
09-13-2012, 03:38 PM

There are a ton of eye experts, and I certainly am not one.

However, I orient my Troy BUIS's to flip forward, and don't bother to pay attention to the bowl/flat edge of the aperture. It is after all. B-U-I-S, and I am breaking contact hell bent for leather in the event my primary optic goes down. It is also an IRON SIGHT, not exactly known for gnats ass accuracy under combat conditions.

If they are your only sighting option, and you are accuracy oriented, set them up so it gives you the best accuracy.

orionz06
09-13-2012, 04:06 PM
I have both sets of sights, as picky and obsessive over shit that doesn't matter as I am I never noticed until now.