PDA

View Full Version : MINIMALIST kydex holster for a J frame?

Jason
03-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey does anybody know of a good MINIMALIST IWB holster for a J frame. I am re-aquiring a J frame and nearly all the holsters I have seen out there that are good in concept for a mid size 9mm (read glock 19) are merely resized slightly for other pistols, to include the J frame revolver. I may just end up carrying sans holster with a barami hip grip, but I am looking for a very minimalistic IWB holster that will fit a J frame that uses thin kydex and the least amount of material necessary to retain the gun (to include smallish attachment straps).

Rverdi
03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Jason,
Your biggest problem is likely to be that without a fair amount of material in the holster, it may be really uncomfortable. Many have found that holsters for longer guns (like a G19 in a G17 holster) is more comfortable because that extra material stabilizes the gun. I guess if you're not going to be carrying it a lot, maybe running out to walk the dog or something like that, a Barami isn't a terrible choice, I have one but haven't used it in years. Relatively comfortable, certainly easy on and off, but no retention whatsoever and it rides so low on the belt that drawing is a two finger process.
If you're going to ccw a j frame all the time, buy a good IWB that will e comfortable and secure.

Jason
03-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks. I understand all the issues, I have been carrying concealed for over 16 years in one capacity or another. Mostly its been Glock 19's and a glock 26 with a Kahr PM9 thown in. But for just stepping out of the house for a brief period of time I am looking for something very minimalistic for the J frame. With the weight of the J frame I dont think it is necessary to have a holster as long as what is used to stabilize a larger gun. Plus, keep in mind all the weight of the j frame is in front of the hand as you hold it. With a Semi, allot of it is in the slide or in the grip when fully loaded. This pulls the gun down if you dont have material to stabilize it. With a J frame it is lighter in the grip area, so if anything this helps keep it down.

Rverdi
03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I guess you got it covered then:)
if you want to try a Barami without laying out the cash, shoot me a pm, you're welcome to borrow mine and see if it does the trick

Jason
03-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks, thats a very friendly offer, but I have on on its way anyway. I may try that for a while and a kydex if I can find one that fits the bill. Everything just seems to be made for Mid size semi-autos with none taking full advantage of the special qualities of the J Frame.

rjohnson4405
03-24-2011, 02:48 PM
You may want to consider the CustomCarryConcepts Versaclip:

http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=9

SLG
03-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Garrity made a fairly minimalist IWB for my wife, with a steel clip on the outside. Works well for when you just want to grab it and step out side.

willowofwisp
03-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I am looking for something a long these lines also.

GregK
04-07-2011, 05:53 AM
This might be a little bit of a dead thread, so I'll apologize in advance for the necropost.

The most minimalist IWB holster out there for the J-Frames would likely be the Mr Softy from High Noon Holsters. Quite minimalist, but made of leather. Well made, good materials (not like DelFatti quality leather or anything, but more than up to the job).

Comfort is so-so, but that could just be because my love handles make holster fit a PITA. I keep the S&W M&P 360 in it and use it as the late night dog walking gun (i.e. when I really don't want to deal with a real weapon and am just walking around the block).

Only real downside I can think of is re-holstering. Being a J-frame though, I always figured that it can "re-holster" into a pocket on my jeans if need be.

For $29 and with a 30 day return policy, it is worth a try.

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Mr_Softy/_mr_softy.html

Jason
04-07-2011, 08:52 AM
No need to apologize for a necro post. Looking for Kydex here. I think the Concealed Carry Concepts Versaclip is the best kydex iteration of this, but he isnt taking new orders right now (bummed). Worth the wait however.

VolGrad
10-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Necro-thread alert;

I'd be interested if anyone had one of the CCC VersaClips for a J-frame they no longer needed.

psalms144.1
10-14-2013, 09:26 AM
FIST #1K ultrathin kydex for me. Adds fundamentally NO thickness of weight to the pistol; super strong clip works fine with gym shorts/no belt, whatever...

Regards,

Kevin

jlw
10-14-2013, 10:13 AM

I may have to give one of these a try.

JodyH
10-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Contact Raven about a custom VG2 for a J-frame. I have one and it's a great minimalist holster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

JHC
10-14-2013, 11:46 AM
FIST #1K ultrathin kydex for me. Adds fundamentally NO thickness of weight to the pistol; super strong clip works fine with gym shorts/no belt, whatever...

Regards,

Kevin

I have several of these for Glocks. All around fav.

jetfire
10-14-2013, 12:41 PM
I successfully turned a Blackhawk CQC Tuckable leather holster into an awesome minimalist J-frame holster by getting rid of the Blackhawk hook and adding a j-hook from a Comp-Tac AIWB.

Wendell
10-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Except for the fact that isn't made to fit C-T Lasergrips, this one (http://www.shopleatherworks.com/adjusta-cant-iwb/) is pretty slick.

I don't know about Barami compatibility.

Totem Polar
10-14-2013, 08:38 PM
So long as this thread refuses to go towards the light, I will second both the barami/tyler t-adaptor setup, and a vanguard-style static cord kydex trigger cover, as well as throwing the desantis clip-grip into the mix. A 642 with any of them just vaporizes IWB. Right now my 642 is cloaked in a string-bikini like kydex trigger guard cover with paracord, and it's very comfortable. It doesn't move out of position as much as might be expected at first glance, either.

LtDave
10-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Bobby Mac's SN-1

VolGrad
10-15-2013, 06:04 AM
Bobby Mac's SN-1

Looks like a good holster. I just don't want to spend that much $ knowing I will rarely use it. Looks like good quality though and something I'd def consider if I were planning to carry this gun regularly.

Rich
10-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Looper FLASH BANG womans holster for J frame Looper brand

simple one pull dot loop

Chuck Whitlock
10-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Looper FLASH BANG womans holster for J frame Looper brand

simple one pull dot loop

But that is designed to release from the bottom.
The Betty might work out better:
http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/betty-holster.html

MGW
10-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Except for the fact that isn't made to fit C-T Lasergrips, this one (http://www.shopleatherworks.com/adjusta-cant-iwb/) is pretty slick.

I don't know about Barami compatibility.

Very...long...wait...times. Just so you know.

Rich
10-17-2013, 03:03 PM
But that is designed to release from the bottom.
The Betty might work out better:
http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/betty-holster.html

Looks to me a regular kydex iwb with a single loop that can be adjusted! One doesn't have to wear a Bra in order to use it.
Granted you have to make it work.
They have longer loops one could add for man belt size!

There is also the blade tech NANO but it has 2 pull dot loops !
It simple . Mine works okay. I like there retried IWB a lot better than the nano

Rich
10-17-2013, 03:16 PM
MY BAD

Isaac
10-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Tony (JM),

Do you have any pics of a simple J frame IWB in kydex?

JodyH
10-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Raven custom VG2.
Can't get any more minimalist that this:

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/20131020_091643_zps24e2c8ca.jpg

Just waiting on my CT LG-105 grips to come in.
I wish DeSantis and CT would collaborate on some "Clip-grip laser grips", those would be awesome.

VolGrad
10-20-2013, 10:30 AM
I know a lot of folks love the VG2 but I had one that was a little too loose for warm and fuzzy and had a close pal whose popped off his G26 in normal use. No thanks.

JodyH
10-20-2013, 10:38 AM
I know a lot of folks love the VG2 but I had one that was a little too loose for warm and fuzzy and had a close pal whose popped off his G26 in normal use. No thanks.
I'm not a fan of them for autos like the Glock 26 just for that reason.
On J-frames "Mexican carry" sans trigger protection is no big deal to me so a oopsie where it popped off might be exciting but not dangerous imo.

Totem Polar
10-20-2013, 11:47 AM
So long as we are posting pics, here's what I've got of the triggerguard deal I had made by condition orange concealment. Not the best pic, but it gives the idea. Very solid retention, btw. I personally like the static cord more than the pull-the-dot loop for j-frame sized guns, but maybe that's just me; I am not an expert by any means. I will say that the old saw about "simply disappears under a t-shirt" actually applies quite handily to a 642 with stock grips and one of these guards. JMO.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Sidheguitarist/DWC/lightweights_zps453a712c.jpg (http://s851.photobucket.com/user/Sidheguitarist/media/DWC/lightweights_zps453a712c.jpg.html)

Chuck Whitlock
10-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Looks to me a regular kydex iwb with a single loop that can be adjusted! One doesn't have to wear a Bra in order to use it.
Granted you have to make it work.
They have longer loops one could add for man belt size!

The model my wife has is molded over the back of the slide. The design is for the clamshell to release in the direction of the triggerguard, not the hammer.

Not saying you couldn't make it work, just be aware.

Tony Mayer
10-22-2013, 10:43 AM
isis07734 , I have made quite a few and am getting ready to add some snubby specific holsters to the website. I will try and get some pics from my photographer in the next few days. Thanks

Isaac
10-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Awesome! Thanks.

Tamara
10-22-2013, 05:51 PM
I wish DeSantis and CT would collaborate on some "Clip-grip laser grips", those would be awesome.

I was spamming this hint any time I was in earshot of a CTC employee a couple months ago.

VolGrad
12-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Necro-thread ...

I ordered one of these back in October. It arrived last week. I love it so much I've ordered another one for my Shield already.

jlw
12-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Necro-thread ...

I ordered one of these back in October. It arrived last week. I love it so much I've ordered another one for my Shield already.

Which clip did you get?

punkey71
12-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Necro-thread ...

How are you choosing to carry?

IWB, OWB, AIWB?

Looks like something I could use for a JFrame and another for an SP101 as a range/occasional CC holster.

Any specific pros/cons you could share?

Thanks
Harold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

BN
12-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Necro-thread ...

I ordered one for my PM9 and it came a few days ago. I liked it so much I ordered one each for my J-Frame and K-Frame. I got the standard clip. It seems to be solid. I will wear IWB. I expect the weight of the gun will determine whether or not I wear OWB. This may be the all time best deal ever in a kydex holster. :)

punkey71
12-26-2013, 09:34 AM
I ordered one for my PM9 and it came a few days ago. I liked it so much I ordered one each for my J-Frame and K-Frame. I got the standard clip. It seems to be solid. I will wear IWB. I expect the weight of the gun will determine whether or not I wear OWB. This may be the all time best deal ever in a kydex holster. :)

That's a concern as well.

My wife would occasionally use it with a 3" SP101 OWB. Not sure if the weight would be too much for a OWB single clip holster.

BN
12-26-2013, 09:50 AM
That's a concern as well.

My wife would occasionally use it with a 3" SP101 OWB. Not sure if the weight would be too much for a OWB single clip holster.

I have the standard clip. I just tried my PM9 holster OWB. I don't think the weight will be a big problem. I used a Wilderness belt and the gun/holster would wobble a little. I put the clip inside my pants and that helped. I think this holster will shine as IWB and be OK for use as OWB. I think a kydex belt loop might solve the wobble problem OWB.

punkey71
12-26-2013, 10:01 AM
I have the standard clip. I just tried my PM9 holster OWB. I don't think the weight will be a big problem. I used a Wilderness belt and the gun/holster would wobble a little. I put the clip inside my pants and that helped. I think this holster will shine as IWB and be OK for use as OWB. I think a kydex belt loop might solve the wobble problem OWB.

Thanks. Loop it is!

Harold

VolGrad
12-26-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm carrying IWB around 3-4 o'clock with the standard clip. Just as a test to see how stable it would be OWB I put it on my belt leftie. I didn't feel it would be stable enough to carry that way so for me personally I would consider this an IWB only holster.

It's a slim package and lows a solid, full grip on the pistol during the draw. The pistol rides close to the body and is easy concede under the thinnest of cover garments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

punkey71
12-26-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm carrying IWB around 3-4 o'clock with the standard clip. Just as a test to see how stable it would be OWB I put it on my belt leftie. I didn't feel it would be stable enough to carry that way so for me personally I would consider this an IWB only holster.

It's a slim package and lows a solid, full grip on the pistol during the draw. The pistol rides close to the body and is easy concede under the thinnest of cover garments.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

Harold

VolGrad
12-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Re-reading that last post it appears auto correct mangled my words. I swear I'm normally quite literate.

I had to tuck today and went back to the fist holster with a j clip. It sucks compared to the CCC.

punkey71
12-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Re-reading that last post it appears auto correct mangled my words. I swear I'm normally quite literate.

I had to tuck today and went back to the fist holster with a j clip. It sucks compared to the CCC.

Regardless, your message was received.

I'm fluent in Autocorrect. :-)

Thanks for the additional info.

Harold

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jrygrim
12-30-2013, 09:25 PM
I think the polymer loop is a great idea. In my experience the polymer loops from holsterloops.com which I think is what 101holsters use are super secure. They may have a holster for your jframe and I know that they like using the loops more than anything, especially for carrying. I would check them out, especially since their wait times are low.

jlw
01-18-2014, 12:15 PM
From Custom Carry Concepts Facebook page today:

THIS WEEKEND ONLY, exclusive savings for our Facebook friends!
Enter coupon code Facebook118 and receive $5 off orders of $20 or more, plus we'll ship your order for free by USPS 1st class mail.
Unfortunately, the shopping cart won't allow the coupon to discount both, so disregard the shipping cost, you won't be charged shipping.

Rich@CCC
01-19-2014, 04:25 PM
I have to assume that this thread is the source of the recent influx of orders for the J-Frame VersaClip!

The original idea for the VersaClip was for a utility/range holster. It turned out that it conceals very well IWB and is extremely comfortable for most people. It does sacrifice a bit in stability when worn OWB but that can be remedied by wearing it between the belt and waistband. It is rock solid and even more comfortable than IWB. It does limit your placement a bit more between the belt loops but I have found "sweet spots" on all of my jeans and cargos.

Again, thanks for the support!

punkey71
01-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Yep, this thread is what made me place my order 5 minutes ago for the last one available for manufacture per your website.

Went from 1 available to Out Of Stock. Thanks for putting your inventory, or in this case the amount of work you will take orders for, in real time on the site.

Looking forward to getting it.

Best,
Harold

I have to assume that this thread is the source of the recent influx of orders for the J-Frame VersaClip!

The original idea for the VersaClip was for a utility/range holster. It turned out that it conceals very well IWB and is extremely comfortable for most people. It does sacrifice a bit in stability when worn OWB but that can be remedied by wearing it between the belt and waistband. It is rock solid and even more comfortable than IWB. It does limit your placement a bit more between the belt loops but I have found "sweet spots" on all of my jeans and cargos.

jlw
01-19-2014, 05:12 PM

This thread accounted for two orders on my part. I ordered a holster back during holidays, and yesterday after seeing the weekend special, I ordered a second holster from the ready to ship options and within minutes of doing so I received shipping confirmations on both holsters. It was so quickly that I wasn't able to get a message to you to suggest simply shipping them together.

Looking forward to them.

NickA
01-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Guilty :o Ordered for a j-frame and a Glock yesterday. Not sure how I missed this before, as I've been looking for an inexpensive solution like this for a while.

This thread accounted for two orders on my part. I ordered a holster back during holidays, and yesterday after seeing the weekend special, I ordered a second holster from the ready to ship options and within minutes of doing so I received shipping confirmations on both holsters. It was so quickly that I wasn't able to get a message to you to suggest simply shipping them together.

Looking forward to them.

On a similar but unrelated note: it's weird having an Amazon DC in your town. I sent out a couple of returns from work around 3:00 yesterday. By 10:00 or so I had an email confirming receipt and my refund.

VolGrad
01-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Glad to help you out. ;)

I loved the one I bought for my j-frame so much I ordered another one for my Shield.

I'm curious to know if they work as well for something larger? If so, I'd prob order one for g26/19.

I missed the weekend special. Jlw sent it to me but I didn't think about my g26/19. Doh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich@CCC
01-20-2014, 10:16 PM
It's a holiday weekend. The code is good till midnight tonight.

The VersaClip for the G19 is my best selling holster at the local gun shows. If you want to carry both the 19 and the 26 in the same holster, order for the 19 and tell me that you want it tweaked for the 26. There's just enough difference to need a little special attention.

Smash
01-20-2014, 10:29 PM
I just added a j frame and a shield versaclip to your workload this morning. Again, due to this thread

jlw
01-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Glad to help you out. ;)

I loved the one I bought for my j-frame so much I ordered another one for my Shield.

I'm curious to know if they work as well for something larger? If so, I'd prob order one for g26/19.

I missed the weekend special. Jlw sent it to me but I didn't think about my g26/19. Doh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lead a horse to water...

Erik
01-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Sold out! :(

mmc45414
01-24-2020, 07:58 AM
Contact Raven about a custom VG2 for a J-frame. I have one and it's a great minimalist holster.
Necro-Bumping this. Does anybody know a good alternative to Raven on this? There are a bunch out there when you search but all of them are unknown to me.