PDA

View Full Version : Sandman-S as a single suppressor for Rattler, 9” .300 and 11.5” 5.56?

HeavyDuty
07-04-2022, 07:50 PM
I’m getting ready to purchase my first suppressor. I am hoping I can find a single suppressor that will cover my Rattler, a 9” .300 upper and also a couple of 11.5” 5.56 uppers. One strong desire is to have a QD that is a FH, not a brake for more pleasant unsuppressed shooting.

It’s been suggested a Sandman-S would fill the bill. KeyMo FHes are available, you can get different front caps and there is no barrel length restriction.

Good choice?

HeavyDuty
07-04-2022, 08:40 PM
I’m seeing comments here that I may actually be better off with a Sandman-K.

Magsz
07-04-2022, 08:56 PM
I’m seeing comments here that I may actually be better off with a Sandman-K.

No.

The Sandman K is borderline useless on anything under 16 inches. It will suppress and mitigate flash to some extent but it is not a good suppressor. It is a niche unit that has very limited real world use.

For example, there is a GIGANTIC difference in performance when comparing a Sandman K to a YHM Turbo K.

The S would work for your intended purposes but its heavy and not really all that great sounding. Keep in mind sound performance in the suppressor world is largely subjective. To some, a really nice meaty low tone is not as pleasurable to others.

I would recommend a Griffin Explorr 30 cal can or a Surefire .30 cal can.

The Sandman line of cans are very well made and they will last you a lifetime, I just don't find their weight appealing when coupled with their sound performance. I also don't really care for their tone. Lastly, the removable end caps are a double edged sword. They're great if you have an end cap strike but they never, ever stay in place.

EricP
07-04-2022, 09:10 PM
I’ve got a Rugged Micro 30, which can be used in a short 5” (K) or 6.5” configuration. These lengths roughly correspond to the Sandman’s K and S lengths. I like the K length and use it on both a 9” 300 and 11.5” 5.56, however the 11.5” is still really loud. The difference between the 5” and 6.5” lengths on the 5.56 is pretty dramatic.

I don’t think I would be happy with a short K can for my only center fire suppressor.

HeavyDuty
07-04-2022, 09:36 PM
Ok, skipping the Sandman-K for now. What about a Sandman-S for a single suppressor, at least for now? Trying to stay focused on the Sandman series for now, unless there is an overwhelming reason not to go with it.

HCM
07-04-2022, 11:36 PM
The Sandman S is a good general purpose starter can. It will work on both .30 cal and 5.56.

Eventually you will want a dedicated 5.56 can.

The best thing about DeadAir is the Keymo mount system. There are several good 3rd party Keymo mounts including the SOLGW Nox and the FCD A2 style mounts.

Dead Air has a new 5.56 can but I've had very good results with the YHM Turbo K modular 5.56 can with a DeadAir rear adaptor.

You will need an adaptor to square the shoulder of the MCX barrel to use non SIG suppressors or muzzle devices.

Magsz
07-05-2022, 12:00 AM
The Sandman S is a good general purpose starter can. It will work on both .30 cal and 5.56.

Eventually you will want a dedicated 5.56 can.

The best thing about DeadAir is the Keymo mount system. There are several good 3rd party Keymo mounts including the SOLGW Nox and the FCD A2 style mounts.

Dead Air has a new 5.56 can but I've had very good results with the YHM Turbo K modular 5.56 can with a DeadAir rear adaptor.

You will need an adaptor to square the shoulder of the MCX barrel to use non SIG suppressors or muzzle devices.

I'm in the vast minority here. I don't like keymo at all. I find it to be heavy and not all that secure. People say once you tighten it down it will never come off until you intend to take it off. I've had three keymo devices and a Sandman K. All of those cans/mounts didn't stay tight on their respective muzzle devices.

I am not a fan of Dead Air products and I won't hide that. They do make some "good" stuff I just think that they're over hyped and that there are better competing products.

If you like the Sandman S you're not going to be displeased with it and it will work fairly well in the role you intend to use it in.

HCM
07-05-2022, 12:05 AM
I'm in the vast minority here. I don't like keymo at all. I find it to be heavy and not all that secure. People say once you tighten it down it will never come off until you intend to take it off. I've had three keymo devices and a Sandman K. All of those cans/mounts didn't stay tight on their respective muzzle devices.

I am not a fan of Dead Air products and I won't hide that. They do make some "good" stuff I just think that they're over hyped and that there are better competing products.

If you like the Sandman S you're not going to be displeased with it and it will work fairly well in the role you intend to use it in.

The keymo mounting system has been 100% better than the AAC and Silencerco ASR I used before.

I've also used the Q Cherry Bomb mounts - great suppressor mounts but they kind of suck without a can.

Magsz
07-05-2022, 02:44 AM
The keymo mounting system has been 100% better than the AAC and Silencerco ASR I used before.

I've also used the Q Cherry Bomb mounts - great suppressor mounts but they kind of suck without a can.

I do not disagree with anything you just said.

ASR is garbage. AAC's mount design is also garbage.

I've had really good success with Griffin's Plan A system.

Ive used YHM's mount, silencerco ASR, Griffin plan A along with Dead Air's Keymo and Micro systems.

Griffin is what remains on all of my guns and cans.

HeavyDuty
07-05-2022, 08:00 AM

Luckily SIG provided the adapters in the boxes. I saw one reference to a tapered shoulder versions of the DA FHs and brakes, but only one mention so I’m doubting it’s correct.

And I agree that I’ll probably end up with a dedicated 5.56 suppressor at some point. I suspect cans are like potato chips (and Glocks) - hard to stop at just one.

helothar
07-05-2022, 10:24 AM
Luckily SIG provided the adapters in the boxes. I saw one reference to a tapered shoulder versions of the DA FHs and brakes, but only one mention so I’m doubting it’s correct.

And I agree that I’ll probably end up with a dedicated 5.56 suppressor at some point. I suspect cans are like potato chips (and Glocks) - hard to stop at just one.

dead air recently announced a micro flash hider which is keymo compatible and on their website they have SKUs for models with "sig taper", they don't seem to be available yet however.

https://deadairsilencers.com/product/micro-flash-hider/#product-info-tabs|0

HeavyDuty
07-05-2022, 01:00 PM
dead air recently announced a micro flash hider which is keymo compatible and on their website they have SKUs for models with "sig taper", they don't seem to be available yet however.

https://deadairsilencers.com/product/micro-flash-hider/#product-info-tabs|0

Thank you! I’m still probably six months out from doing this, I’d prefer to be at my permanent address. Although it probably doesn’t matter, I will very likely be doing one of SilencerShop’s “one shot” trusts and I’m sure it can be amended.

Question: does a 5320.20 need to be filed for intrastate residence moves, or just interstate? When I did them I designated a permanent change of address.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
07-05-2022, 02:28 PM
Thank you! I’m still probably six months out from doing this, I’d prefer to be at my permanent address. Although it probably doesn’t matter, I will very likely be doing one of SilencerShop’s “one shot” trusts and I’m sure it can be amended.

Question: does a 5320.20 need to be filed for intrastate residence moves, or just interstate? When I did them I designated a permanent change of address.

Can's don't require a 5320.20 for interstate moves but being old school I included my cans for a perm. intrastate move sev. yrs back to an adjoining county as I also listed an M16, SBR & MP5 on the 5320.20

Clusterfrack
07-05-2022, 04:33 PM
Well, I haven't bought a suppressor for a while. But, I can say from experience that AAC mounts suck a bag of dicks. Back in the day not so long ago SilencerCo was supposed to be the bestest new hotness. My Omega has been a self-disassembling PIA, although not as bad as AAC. So, I have to say that I'm not surprised to hear that Keymo may not be all that it's cracked up to be. It is not easy to make a good suppressor mounting system. In fact, I think it's more difficult than making a decent suppressor. Honestly, I care a lot more about the mount than dB or what the can sounds like.

If I buy another can, it will be either another Surefire or another TBAC.

OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor
07-05-2022, 05:00 PM
Well, I haven't bought a suppressor for a while. But, I can say from experience that AAC mounts suck a bag of dicks. Back in the day not so long ago SilencerCo was supposed to be the bestest new hotness. My Omega has been a self-disassembling PIA, although not as bad as AAC. So, I have to say that I'm not surprised to hear that Keymo may not be all that it's cracked up to be. It is not easy to make a good suppressor mounting system. In fact, I think it's more difficult than making a decent suppressor. Honestly, I care a lot more about the mount than dB or what the can sounds like.

Agreed on SF *if* I ever bought another one & re. mounts, the 3 remaining cans I own all are thread on w/ 2 being Ti to counter weight issues.

JCN
07-06-2022, 10:56 AM

Lol, my AAC mount for my 5.56 I just let carbon the heck up so it’s a solid weld from mount to can and I just thread the whole unit onto a barrel like a direct mount. Ha.

I ordered some more rocksett to semi fix things together once I decide what can should stay on what gun.

More and more I’m just deciding to fix cans to guns and not eff with mounting systems.

Clusterfrack
07-06-2022, 11:15 AM
Lol, my AAC mount for my 5.56 I just let carbon the heck up so it’s a solid weld from mount to can and I just thread the whole unit onto a barrel like a direct mount. Ha.

I ordered some more rocksett to semi fix things together once I decide what can should stay on what gun.

More and more I’m just deciding to fix cans to guns and not eff with mounting systems.

I like to be able to remove suppressors for a variety of reasons. TBAC's thread-on mount is simple and robust. I haven't found the need for the locking version.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/accessories

JCN
07-06-2022, 11:58 AM
I like to be able to remove suppressors for a variety of reasons. TBAC's thread-on mount is simple and robust. I haven't found the need for the locking version.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/accessories

Doesn’t wiggle or loosen up on you for just the threaded no lock?

I’ve done threaded with silicone O ring to prevent loosening.

Clusterfrack
07-06-2022, 12:14 PM
Doesn’t wiggle or loosen up on you for just the threaded no lock?

I’ve done threaded with silicone O ring to prevent loosening.

TBAC product info (https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/ultra-7) states "With the CB mount, the suppressor mates to a conical shoulder on the brake and locks up rock solid and extremely tight" and that is my experience. It stays tight, and even after a lot of shooting I've never had it so stuck on that I couldn't remove it (sometimes requiring some 'man strength'). It's way better than barrel-direct thread mounting because the taper is less susceptible to misalignment from crud or sand. I suppose if I was going to war, I'd want the locking version.

Clusterfrack
07-06-2022, 12:16 PM
The TBAC Dominus K-SR (https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/dominus-k-sr) will probably be my next can if I get around to buying one.

littlejerry
07-06-2022, 04:55 PM
Lots of good suggestions on here already.

As noted above, the Sandman cans are really well built and durable... But heavy and not particularly quiet. Unless your goal is mag dumps from a registered lower I'd look elsewhere.

The Nomad is a great versatile can for not a lot of money. The Turbo K is also a fantastic 5.56 can that is absurdly cheap.

ccmdfd
07-07-2022, 08:54 AM

What kind of problems have you guys been seeing with your 51t mounts?

I've got a M4-2000 which is sitting on an older SBR which I really haven't used much at all lately.

Thanks

Clusterfrack
07-07-2022, 11:26 AM
What kind of problems have you guys been seeing with your 51t mounts?

I've got a M4-2000 which is sitting on an older SBR which I really haven't used much at all lately.

Thanks

Inconsistent mounting (locked in at an angle), loosening during firing, catastrophic baffle strike.

JohnO
07-07-2022, 11:38 AM
I'm new to the suppressor world. I finally got my tax stamp and picked up my Sandman-S a couple weeks ago. I don't have anything to compare it with. So far I have used it on a 13.7" Son's of Liberty AR and a 14.5" BCM AR. Both have A5 recoil systems with H2 buffers and Radian Raptor charging handles. When I moved the can to the BCM gun I started noticing a little eye irritation that is 100% not there on the Son's gun.

The Sandman certainly is a chunk of weight hanging off the muzzle. I'm using it as received and haven't bothered to try a 5.56 end cap. I have NOX muzzle devices for a few ARs and one in 7.62 that is going on my SCAR. I really curious to see (hear) how it performs on the SCAR.

I was interested in going with a Surefire can but nothing was available when I started the process in early 2021.

Casual Friday
07-07-2022, 05:56 PM
In my never ending quest to make life more complicated than it needs to be in terms of guns and gear related stuff, I've played with Keymo, YHM Phantom and the Kurz, Griffin Plan A and Q Plan B.

Magsz isn't alone in not caring for Keymo. On top of being unobtanium at times, at a retail price of $250, with street price from vendors like Hansohn Brothers around $199, it's expensive as hell for what it is, which is a taper mount that makes a ratcheting noise.

The YHM Phantom (https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/yhm/accessories/mounts-and-pistons/yhm-phantom-qd-adapter/) is solid, with thicccc Acme threads, taper seal, and the secondary spring loaded locking mechanism, it locks up tight and stays put. It's ugly as sin though.

That led me to try the YHM Kurz (https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/yhm/accessories/mounts-and-pistons/yhm-kurz-qd-adapter/). It's basically a shortened Phantom QD adapter that reduces the length by .6" or so.

Still not able to leave well enough alone, I decided to try the Griffin Plan A and Q Plan B. I was able to pick up both along with muzzle devices from the GAFS subreddit on Reddit. In terms of lockup, I felt like the Plan A and Plan B were equal. The downside to the YHM Kurz, Plan A and Plan B was they increased back pressure, and increased the decibel level over the Phantom and Keymo. Apparently letting the blast chamber do it's work and not cramming the muzzle device all the way to just behind the blast baffle is more important that I initially estimated. I'm not talking just on a decibel meter, I don't even have one, I'm talking about it was noticeably louder to the ear.

So after all that farting around, spending money, selling off mounts and muzzle devices I wasn't gonna use, I'm back to the full length Phantom QD that came with my Turbo T2 and I'm done swapping and trying mounts.

Magsz
07-08-2022, 03:52 PM
In my never ending quest to make life more complicated than it needs to be in terms of guns and gear related stuff, I've played with Keymo, YHM Phantom and the Kurz, Griffin Plan A and Q Plan B.

Magsz isn't alone in not caring for Keymo. On top of being unobtanium at times, at a retail price of $250, with street price from vendors like Hansohn Brothers around $199, it's expensive as hell for what it is, which is a taper mount that makes a ratcheting noise.

The YHM Phantom (https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/yhm/accessories/mounts-and-pistons/yhm-phantom-qd-adapter/) is solid, with thicccc Acme threads, taper seal, and the secondary spring loaded locking mechanism, it locks up tight and stays put. It's ugly as sin though.

That led me to try the YHM Kurz (https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/yhm/accessories/mounts-and-pistons/yhm-kurz-qd-adapter/). It's basically a shortened Phantom QD adapter that reduces the length by .6" or so.

Still not able to leave well enough alone, I decided to try the Griffin Plan A and Q Plan B. I was able to pick up both along with muzzle devices from the GAFS subreddit on Reddit. In terms of lockup, I felt like the Plan A and Plan B were equal. The downside to the YHM Kurz, Plan A and Plan B was they increased back pressure, and increased the decibel level over the Phantom and Keymo. Apparently letting the blast chamber do it's work and not cramming the muzzle device all the way to just behind the blast baffle is more important that I initially estimated. I'm not talking just on a decibel meter, I don't even have one, I'm talking about it was noticeably louder to the ear.

So after all that farting around, spending money, selling off mounts and muzzle devices I wasn't gonna use, I'm back to the full length Phantom QD that came with my Turbo T2 and I'm done swapping and trying mounts.

I'm partial to the Plan A mounts as I said for a variety of reasons.

I will say that the YHM mount, despite being a little bit on the heavy side sure as shit works well. There's a huge taper and the rachet system as a secondary method of securing the can to the mount seems to work fairly well. My only gripe was that my YHM mounts seemed to shoot "one tooth loose". YHM assured me this was OK but I was never really happy with the end result so I divested and went elsewhere.

By and large, 99% of end users seem happy with the YHM solution.

Casual Friday
07-08-2022, 04:50 PM
I'm partial to the Plan A mounts as I said for a variety of reasons.

I will say that the YHM mount, despite being a little bit on the heavy side sure as shit works well. There's a huge taper and the rachet system as a secondary method of securing the can to the mount seems to work fairly well. My only gripe was that my YHM mounts seemed to shoot "one tooth loose". YHM assured me this was OK but I was never really happy with the end result so I divested and went elsewhere.

By and large, 99% of end users seem happy with the YHM solution.

Had I known about the Plan A XL I would have probably gave that a whirl, as it seems to provide the added length that the YHM does at a fraction of the weight. It's only a couple ounces, but ounces on the end of the gun are the ones you feel the most.

JSGlock34
07-08-2022, 05:59 PM
It appears at least one serious user group supplanted their AAC cans with the Sandman-S. For what it's worth, a company called ECCO Machine (https://www.eccomachine.net)will convert AAC cans to use the Deadair Keymo.
https://www.thedrive.com/content-b/message-editor%2F1620685018466-sealgun12.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ooWSkkG.jpg

HeavyDuty
10-19-2022, 09:12 AM
…but I've had very good results with the YHM Turbo K modular 5.56 can with a DeadAir rear adaptor.

Bumping this back up with a stupid newb question. I’m still shopping while I wait for my permanent address change and want to have a purchase plan in place.

I have decided on KeyMo and have been adding their muzzle devices to my rifles and SBRs. I plan to get a Wolfman for the 9mm and 300 BO SBRs. My understanding is that Wolfman will also work as a light duty can for my 5.56 SBRs and rifles, but I should do better for those if I intend to shoot a lot of 5.56.

I’m looking at two options for a more durable 5.56 suppressor - a DA Sierra-5 KeyMo or a YHM Turbo K. The price of the YHM is really appealing.

My stupid question - how exactly is a Turbo K adapted for a DA KeyMo? Is it using a DA accessory, or aftermarket? HCM

I assume this is the YHM can: https://yhm.net/turbo-k-with-yhm-4302-28a/

LittleLebowski
10-19-2022, 09:48 AM
Bumping this back up with a stupid newb question. I’m still shopping while I wait for my permanent address change and want to have a purchase plan in place.

I have decided on KeyMo and have been adding their muzzle devices to my rifles and SBRs. I plan to get a Wolfman for the 9mm and 300 BO SBRs. My understanding is that Wolfman will also work as a light duty can for my 5.56 SBRs and rifles, but I should do better for those if I intend to shoot a lot of 5.56.

I’m looking at two options for a more durable 5.56 suppressor - a DA Sierra-5 KeyMo or a YHM Turbo K. The price of the YHM is really appealing.

My stupid question - how exactly is a Turbo K adapted for a DA KeyMo? Is it using a DA accessory, or aftermarket? HCM

It uses the new de facto industry standard "Hub" 1.375×24 TPI threads that allow the can to accept just about any mounting solution. So you buy your Hub can and pick out what you want. I'm a fan of the Griffin taper mounts, Keymo is heavy, long, and expensive. YHM's mounts are also really good. If it were me, I wouldn't be considering something without Hub threads.

I'd look at what you listed plus the EA ARX. I've got a Turbo K on my AUG, works great, no issues.

HeavyDuty
10-19-2022, 09:58 AM
It uses the new de facto industry standard "Hub" 1.375×24 TPI threads that allow the can to accept just about any mounting solution. So you buy your Hub can and pick out what you want. I'm a fan of the Griffin taper mounts, Keymo is heavy, long, and expensive. YHM's mounts are also really good. If it were me, I wouldn't be considering something without Hub threads.

I'd look at what you listed plus the EA ARX. I've got a Turbo K on my AUG, works great, no issues.

So, assuming I stay the course with KeyMo/KeyMicro, I’m looking at a $250 delivered with tax and shipping for the DA KeyMo adapter to put on the Turbo K which negates some of the cost savings, but it’s still cheaper than a Sierra-5.

I guess the choice I have to make is whether the Sierra-5 is $250 better than the Turbo-K. Time for more reading to compare these two.

Thanks for the info!

(Goddess help me if I also decide I need a 7.62x51 can. My head is gonna explode.)

WobblyPossum
10-19-2022, 10:01 AM
I also have a Turbo K on an 11.5” 5.56 gun. The only other suppressor I have any real experience with is the AAC M4-2000 so keep that in mind. The Turbo K is a lot lighter, shorter, and sends less gas into my face. I bought mine, with stamp, for $600 (the first President Trump COVID check). It’s tough to beat. Plus YHM has been around for a long time. You don’t have to worry about the company disappearing in a couple of years should you need customer service.

HCM
10-19-2022, 12:12 PM

The Turbo is a modular can.

The rear “cap” of the can is removable and uses what is now the industry standard 1.375" X 24 TPI thread pitch. It started with the Silencerco Omega as a way to switch between ASR mounts and direct thread end caps. This has now become the industry standard known as HUB (Hybrid Universal Base).

https://www.recoilweb.com/the-universal-silencer-standard-1-375x24-156634.html

Now there are multiple HUB options:

Direct thread
Silencerco ASR (sucks)
Griffin plan A
Q plan B
Dead Air Key-mo
YHM
AREA 419

I have two Turbo K’s - one set up with Keymo and one for the Q Cherry Bomb

HeavyDuty
02-28-2023, 03:55 PM
Finally some movement. I purchased a YHM R9 today at Capitol Armory and will run it on my 9mm SBRs using three lug. I also talked with the rep a bit about suppressors for .300 BO, .308 and 5.56 and handled several. From that, I am back to strongly leaning towards a Sandman-S for the next one.

Jaywalker
03-01-2023, 03:57 PM
Finally some movement. I purchased a YHM R9 today at Capitol Armory and will run it on my 9mm SBRs using three lug. I also talked with the rep a bit about suppressors for .300 BO, .308 and 5.56 and handled several. From that, I am back to strongly leaning towards a Sandman-S for the next one.

Congrats. How are you buying it?

HeavyDuty
03-01-2023, 06:06 PM
Congrats. How are you buying it?

???

Jaywalker
03-01-2023, 06:47 PM
That wasn't clear... Are you ordering it yourself and filling out your own paperwork. In my first purchase I wanted the LGS to do it for me.

HeavyDuty
03-01-2023, 06:55 PM
That wasn't clear... Are you ordering it yourself and filling out your own paperwork. In my first purchase I wanted the LGS to do it for me.

Aha!

I actually went to Capitol Armory’s storefront in suburban Austin and bought it there. They handled the eForm 4 process, I just did the docusign today. They will either teleport it to my door in 2036 after it’s approved or I can take my personal hoverboard there to pick it up.

DMCutter
03-01-2023, 08:00 PM
Capitol Armory is great. I've bought all my accessories from them. Jorge is very responsive, even answers emails on weekends. I don't envy you living in TX but I'd love to be able to shop there in person.

Lowspeed_highdrag
03-01-2023, 08:18 PM
I have a Sandman S and K, run them on SBRs and 308 bolt guns. Very tough can, but nothing to really blow you away regarding DB reduction. Lots of guys at work running Turbos, great sounding can. Has a chance to shoot my Saker next to a Turbo K, I was shocked by how similar they sounded to me. My Sandman K is essentially worthless.

HCM
03-01-2023, 08:36 PM
So, assuming I stay the course with KeyMo/KeyMicro, I’m looking at a $250 delivered with tax and shipping for the DA KeyMo adapter to put on the Turbo K which negates some of the cost savings, but it’s still cheaper than a Sierra-5.

I guess the choice I have to make is whether the Sierra-5 is $250 better than the Turbo-K. Time for more reading to compare these two.

Thanks for the info!

(Goddess help me if I also decide I need a 7.62x51 can. My head is gonna explode.)

I have two Turbo k’s.

I run one with a DA Keymo adapter and the other goes between Q and Griffin armament mounts.

For your first can I would do a .30 cal YHM modular can (Resonator or Resonator K).

That will allow modular mounting and let you shoot 308/ 300 BO and 5.56.

5.56 dedicated can is better as a second can.

If you are stuck on 5.56 cans, the YHM turbo K or the T3 is the way to go.

HeavyDuty
03-01-2023, 08:52 PM
I have two Turbo k’s.

I run one with a DA Keymo adapter and the other goes between Q and Griffin armament mounts.

For your first can I would do a .30 cal YHM modular can (Resonator or Resonator K).

That will allow modular mounting and let you shoot 308/ 300 BO and 5.56.

5.56 dedicated can is better as a second can.

If you are stuck on 5.56 cans, the YHM turbo K or the T3 is the way to go.

The issue with the YHM .30 cans is the barrel length restrictions - I have a 5.5” .300 BLK. Their 5.56 ones would work.

Plus a Sandman-S comes on the adapter I would want.

HCM
03-01-2023, 11:32 PM
The issue with the YHM .30 cans is the barrel length restrictions - I have a 5.5” .300 BLK. Their 5.56 ones would work.

Plus a Sandman-S comes on the adapter I would want.

The sandman is not a bad can. You’re stuck with Key mo but it’s versatile since it’s 30 cal.

5.5” so Rattler ? Not intended to be suppressed - very gassy. The rattler was designed to be a small as possible unsuppressed bag gun shooting supers. Maybe you can swap the gas plug for the ones from the SOCOM PDW.

If you are hell bent on suppressing a rattler i’d be looking at a low back pressure can. Huxworx or one of the new lower back Pressure SIG cans.

HeavyDuty
03-02-2023, 09:16 AM
The sandman is not a bad can. You’re stuck with Key mo but it’s versatile since it’s 30 cal.

5.5” so Rattler ? Not intended to be suppressed - very gassy. The rattler was designed to be a small as possible unsuppressed bag gun shooting supers. Maybe you can swap the gas plug for the ones from the SOCOM PDW.

If you are hell bent on suppressing a rattler i’d be looking at a low back pressure can. Huxworx or one of the new lower back Pressure SIG cans.

KeyMo/KeyMicro was my plan anyways, so Sandman has the advantage of the integral mount. I’m not as worried about suppressing the Rattler but would like the ability to do so with subs. I was planning to Permatex the charging handles on everything that gives me gas to the face.

I could see getting a low back pressure can down the road, but for me that’s more of a specialty thing at this point. And I would never buy a SIG suppressor only because they tend to discontinue product and stop support, not something I would want on a NFA item that can only be serviced by them.

HCM
03-02-2023, 09:26 AM
KeyMo/KeyMicro was my plan anyways, so Sandman has the advantage of the integral mount. I’m not as worried about suppressing the Rattler but would like the ability to do so with subs. I was planning to Permatex the charging handles on everything that gives me gas to the face.

I could see getting a low back pressure can down the road, but for me that’s more of a specialty thing at this point. And I would never buy a SIG suppressor only because they tend to discontinue product and stop support, not something I would want on a NFA item that can only be serviced by them.

How much suppressed shooting have you done ? Goo sealing a charging handle helps but it’s not a panacea and unmodified Rattlers are BAD in terms of gas when suppressed.

Discomfort aside, there are heath implications to breathing that crap in. Low back pressure cans are the future not a specialty item. I get not trusting SIG - I’d probably only buy direct thread from them for the same reason.

I like Keymo, and it’s my main mounting system but it adds length and weight. Reduced length (and weight) are advantages of both direct thread and the Q Cherry bomb / plan B - standard “hub” modular mounting give you options.

HeavyDuty
03-02-2023, 09:54 AM
How much suppressed shooting have you done ? Goo sealing a charging handle helps but it’s not a panacea and unmodified Rattlers are BAD in terms of gas when suppressed.

Discomfort aside, there are heath implications to breathing that crap in. Low back pressure cans are the future not a specialty item. I get not trusting SIG - I’d probably only buy direct thread from them for the same reason.

I like Keymo, and it’s my main mounting system but it adds length and weight. Reduced length (and weight) are advantages of both direct thread and the Q Cherry bomb / plan B - standard “hub” modular mounting give you options.

Good info - I have zero suppressed experience. I’ve been relying on what I read and from talking to people. The gent at CA implied a Sandman-S would be a decent choice for a versatile non-flow through suppressor for a number of my SBRs.

The Rattler will still mostly be shot unsuppressed with supers. I’m just looking for versatility.

HCM
03-02-2023, 10:29 AM
Good info - I have zero suppressed experience. I’ve been relying on what I read and from talking to people. The gent at CA implied a Sandman-S would be a decent choice for a versatile non-flow through suppressor for a number of my SBRs.

The Rattler will still mostly be shot unsuppressed with supers. I’m just looking for versatility.

The Sandman is not bad but it’s prior generation tech.

If you can get your hands on the SOCOM gas plugs it should help with gas when suppressing a Rattler.

HeavyDuty
10-29-2023, 10:43 AM
Back again. My R9 and Sandman-S were both approved, I just need to get down to CA to pick them up. I also have a dedicated rimfire can waiting out the process.

The amnesty caused me to end up with several 5.56 SBRs (10.3”, 11.5”, 12” and 12.5”) and I’m thinking a dedicated suppressor for these wouldn’t be a bad thing. It could also be used on my 14.5” uppers if I change out the muzzle devices, and even a 16”.

The YHM Turbo T3 seems to check a lot of boxes. Comments?