PDA

View Full Version : Forward sling mount for 870 with XS mag tube extension?

MandoWookie
07-02-2022, 07:42 AM
Bought a Magpul 870 clamp on sling mount, but the provided screw is too short, and the clamp itself seems doesn't fit between the tube and barrell.

For reference the mag extension use is the XS version:
https://xssights.com/products/remington-870-magazine-2-extension-kit.html

On an 870 using an 18 in rifle sight barrel.

The extension itself so far has been good, but I want some way to put a sling on the gun that is not a single point.

vcdgrips
07-02-2022, 08:14 AM
Edge of lane:

I note this extra hardware kit is often bought on amazon with the mount as per the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-QD-Cup-Type-1/dp/B00AEM35JM/ref=pd_bxgy_img_sccl_1/142-6231996-5029449?pd_rd_w=7SUiN&content-id=amzn1.sym.7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_p=7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_r=DAG8HSMWSPSFXPSFVPQ6&pd_rd_wg=AZ6zT&pd_rd_r=2af6940c-e8f9-45b1-9230-c0e4bd7b8441&pd_rd_i=B00AEM35JM&psc=1

If it is just the matter of a screw, could a local, independent hardware store have something that could work?

Edited to add- I know a number of folks who ran this GG &G set up from the last century. It certainly worked for them as an evolution past the single point.

https://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-standard-sling-attachments.html

MandoWookie
07-02-2022, 08:38 AM
Edge of lane:

I note this extra hardware kit is often bought on amazon with the mount as per the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Magpul-QD-Cup-Type-1/dp/B00AEM35JM/ref=pd_bxgy_img_sccl_1/142-6231996-5029449?pd_rd_w=7SUiN&content-id=amzn1.sym.7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_p=7757a8b5-874e-4a67-9d85-54ed32f01737&pf_rd_r=DAG8HSMWSPSFXPSFVPQ6&pd_rd_wg=AZ6zT&pd_rd_r=2af6940c-e8f9-45b1-9230-c0e4bd7b8441&pd_rd_i=B00AEM35JM&psc=1

If it is just the matter of a screw, could a local, independent hardware store have something that could work?

Edited to add- I know a number of folks who ran this GG &G set up from the last century. It certainly worked for them as an evolution past the single point.

https://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-standard-sling-attachments.html

I've though about trying to find a screw that would work, but haven't had the time. But the bigger issue is it looks like it would only be a band aid as the main issue is the posts that connect the 2 halves are too thick to fit between the barrel and tube without flexing the tube concernedly.
I would be concerned about cranking it down like that.

I've looked at the sling plates, but the XS is retained by the spring detent.
The secondary reason I want a clamp on style is to help keep the extension from possibly unscrewing itself.

It might end up I need to get a different extension.
The XS was what was available at the time I was looking.
It's been a low priority project.

Pnut
07-02-2022, 12:25 PM
You could contact XS and see what mag clamp they recommend. Or you could run the mag extension without a clamp…

I ran my gun with a clamp for years out of fear the tube would come loose. I recently tried it at the range without the clamp and put about 100 rounds and there were no problems. Just in case, I drew a small witness mark across the tube and the tube extension as a quick visual aid to see if there was any loosening. I’ve talked to others who run without the clamp and they say that after a long or intense range session, they might have to re-tighten the tube a few clicks at the end of the day.

As for the sling, I now run a GGG Picatinny rail mount. With the rail, I can run a tac light and a rail mounted qd cup.

Pnut
07-02-2022, 01:22 PM
Here’s a pic of my sling mount/light setup, minus the barrel clamp…

UNM1136
07-02-2022, 03:07 PM
I have a 590 with a tube that goes almost to the end of the barrel, and then the sling mouting point really puts it out there. I have had a bunch of sling swivels that the muzzle blast absolutely destroyed. the uloop (https://www.blueforcegear.com/uloop) seems to be the solution.

pat

gato naranja
07-03-2022, 10:13 PM
But the bigger issue is it looks like it would only be a band aid as the main issue is the posts that connect the 2 halves are too thick to fit between the barrel and tube without flexing the tube concernedly.

This is a "thing" with some 870 parts. Sometimes it seems like tolerance stacking, but not always. The aftermarket clamps are the most frequent bad actors, but I have even seen some factory extension tube and clamp combinations that do what you describe, and they flat-out bent the tube down too far. In one case, Remington wanted the problematic one back to look at and then sent me a replacement that was good to go. The tubes and the barrel bore axis should be more-or-less parallel.

Remington's OEM extensions with the groove rolled into the tube are designed to - among other things - allow their clamp screw to clear the tube (and the barrel); I went back to the OEM setup after having a bending issue with one of the better-made aftermarket tubes and a reputable aftermarket clamp.

I do not think there is one perfect solution to increasing the capacity on trad 870s, but as I said, I went back to factory ones as the "least bad" option. YMMV.

Pnut
07-04-2022, 01:54 AM
I read in a different thread about people having problems with an extension tube and clamp for their Berettas. The manufacturer recommended loosening the tube about half a turn, then tightening down the clamp. They explained that by doing this the clamp wouldn’t add stress to the tube/barrel alignment and the clamp would prevent the tube from coming loose.

LHS
07-05-2022, 01:12 PM
FWIW, this is a big reason why I stick with Vang or Wilson tube extensions that include the sling mount. I don't like the ones that sandwich between the extension and the main tube, as it reduces the thread engagement of the extension.

NH Shooter
07-05-2022, 03:53 PM
...has worked fine so far;

https://i.ibb.co/vdWJDRd/1187-41.jpg

gato naranja
07-05-2022, 05:00 PM
FWIW, this is a big reason why I stick with Vang or Wilson tube extensions that include the sling mount. I don't like the ones that sandwich between the extension and the main tube, as it reduces the thread engagement of the extension.

If the tolerance stacking is running against some particular combination of mag tube, barrel, plate and magazine tube cap (or extension), it really can result in alarmingly meagre thread engagement.

Back when I still wanted to run a sling plate on an 870 that required no tools or extra time to take down, I cut my potential losses by running a Wilson +1 extension with the integral plate... whether I wanted the extra round or not. If I couldn't find a REM extension with a factory clamp today, I would go back to a Wilson or Vang extension with an integral plate. Those mag tube threads make me nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Dorsai
07-11-2022, 08:38 PM
I've got this on my 870.

https://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-quick-detach-front-and-rear-sling-attachments.html

Pnut
07-11-2022, 09:44 PM
If the tolerance stacking is running against some particular combination of mag tube, barrel, plate and magazine tube cap (or extension), it really can result in alarmingly meagre thread engagement.

Back when I still wanted to run a sling plate on an 870 that required no tools or extra time to take down, I cut my potential losses by running a Wilson +1 extension with the integral plate... whether I wanted the extra round or not. If I couldn't find a REM extension with a factory clamp today, I would go back to a Wilson or Vang extension with an integral plate. Those mag tube threads make me nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

I run a GGG sling plate on my setup and never ran into problems. With the plate in place, you’ll only lose maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a rotation on the end cap/extension tube.

gato naranja
07-11-2022, 10:12 PM
I run a GGG sling plate on my setup and never ran into problems. With the plate in place, you’ll only lose maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a rotation on the end cap/extension tube.

I had no problems with sandwiched plates on most of the 870's I have owned or used, but that particular problem would arise because either a mag tube was shorter than "spec" or a barrel had the magazine ring located too far forward. Shouldn't happen, but it did. When it gets down to only one thread's worth of engagement with the magazine cap or extension, that is - IMHO - cutting things too fine to justify a sandwiched plate.

gato naranja
07-15-2022, 12:13 PM
This is a "thing" with some 870 parts. Sometimes it seems like tolerance stacking, but not always. The aftermarket clamps are the most frequent bad actors, but I have even seen some factory extension tube and clamp combinations that do what you describe, and they flat-out bent the tube down too far. In one case, Remington wanted the problematic one back to look at and then sent me a replacement that was good to go. The tubes and the barrel bore axis should be more-or-less parallel.

UPDATE:

I went back through the shotgun annex of my box full 'o' crap and found a notation to myself to use the factory clamps that have an "X" stamped on one side; this must date to the time I returned a clamp to Remington and they sent me a new one. I think the general idea was that clamps without an X are for 870's with older, less thick barrels, while the ones stamped with an X are for MOST of the modern 870's.

So if you have an issue with a factory clamp not fitting your particular mag tube/barrel combo, look for the presence or absence of the X. As for aftermarket clamps, "caveat emptor."