PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 1911 compact.

JRCHolsters
09-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Has anyone had a chance to use one of these guns?

My 13 year old daughter really likes the 1911 and I was thinking of getting her a compact for Christmas, but don't want to spend a ton of cash, just incase she loses interest at some point. I am pretty handy working on the 1911, so if the base gun is good to go, I can make tweeks as needed.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jason F
09-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Why go compact??

Why not go full size. Added weight to help with recoil management. Easier adaptability to a .22 upper if you wanted to go that route. More reliable since it's a full size.

I like the idea of getting her a RIA if she wants to get in to 1911's, it just feels like getting her a compact "because she's a girl" is like some random gun counter dork selling a lady a snubby .38 because "it's a lady gun" even though it's a horrible weapon for her more likely than not.

Headhunter can expound on that last point better than I can.

JRCHolsters
09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Actually, if it was up to me, I would get her a Commander. She likes the feel of the compact best. She likes my P10, but not the thicker grip. She does like the feel of the full size 1911, but feels the compact balances in her hand better.
I've let her try a slew of guns, but she keeps gravitating back to that model.

Jason F
09-11-2012, 07:41 PM
When you say "she's tried", do you mean she's fired, or she's molested in the gun shop?

Just wondering if she's actually fired any of the different sizes to compare that.

JRCHolsters
09-11-2012, 07:48 PM
LOL, no by tried, I mean shot. She has shot the 1911, P10, Officers, G17, G19, J-frame .38, K-frame .357 snubbie, various pocket 9's, etc. My kids are shooters.

So, anyways, how is the basic quality of the Rock Island guns? I have never personally used one.

Jason F
09-11-2012, 08:11 PM
LOL, no by tried, I mean shot......My kids are shooters.

Ah ha! Gotcha, I didn't put two and two together.

Good man having your kids grow up shooters. I'm trying over here, but at 4.5 & 3 they're still a bit young.

As for your question about RAI quality - some people swear by 'em. I had one VERY briefly (never even fired it, probably had it for a week or so). I ditched it quickly because it didn't feel up to par of the Kimber Series 1 I also had. And since then I've only gotten more spoiled (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2817-1911-picture-thread&p=90920&viewfull=1#post90920). Wish I had more to offer.

Nephrology
09-11-2012, 09:19 PM
LOL, no by tried, I mean shot. She has shot the 1911, P10, Officers, G17, G19, J-frame .38, K-frame .357 snubbie, various pocket 9's, etc. My kids are shooters.

So, anyways, how is the basic quality of the Rock Island guns? I have never personally used one.

I have one RIA Tactical 5" in .45 ACP and it is a good shooter for the limited rounds I've put through it. ~1k 230gr ball, and close to 10k with the .22Lr Kimber conversion kit. The kit, as would be predictable, is a little finicky (the mags kinda suck) but it's incredibly accurate and always a hit. I don't know if I'd carry the RIA in .45 over my 9mm Glocks, but, well, I do feel good about it oddly enough. It's ugly as hell and I have better guns to trust my life to, but it does well for a gun that basically exists for the sake of having a 1911 around.

JRCHolsters
09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
It sounds like it may be worth looking into for her first pistol. I will have to down and take a look at one. As long as there are no major faults with the frame and slide, I can tune it up for her. Thanks

tmoore912
09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
I had a RIA Tactical 5" for about a year. Slide to frame fit was pretty decent. Only had two FTFeed in 1,700 rounds. Firing Pin Spring died at about 500 rounds, and replaced it with a Wolff. I also replaced the FLGR with a GI set up with Wolff spring. Coating on the gun was crap, but it shot great. For the price, I was very satisfied.

JRCHolsters
09-12-2012, 12:15 PM
I had a RIA Tactical 5" for about a year. Slide to frame fit was pretty decent. Only had two FTFeed in 1,700 rounds. Firing Pin Spring died at about 500 rounds, and replaced it with a Wolff. I also replaced the FLGR with a GI set up with Wolff spring. Coating on the gun was crap, but it shot great. For the price, I was very satisfied.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it may be a good starter gun with a few improvements.

mrozowjj
09-12-2012, 03:20 PM
I have know idea what their quality is like but there is a video of the CEO of RIA on youtube from this year's shot show where he is basically talking about their warranty which seems very favorable. It was something along the lines of "As long as you didn't take a dremel to it the gun is warrantied for life, even if you bought the gun before I became the CEO."

SecondsCount
09-12-2012, 04:01 PM
For limited use the Rock Islands are okay. I am not sure if this is still the case but seven or eight years ago when the Armscor/RIA pistols came on the market, the people in the know said that all the springs should be replaced right off the bat because they were soft.

In a compact you will probably want to replace the recoil spring every 500 rounds anyway.

JRCHolsters
09-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the various feedback. I looked one over yesterday and it should work out fine with a little tune-up before I give it to her.

Jason F
09-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the various feedback. I looked one over yesterday and it should work out fine with a little tune-up before I give it to her.

Keep us posted then!