PDA

View Full Version : Fridges

EMC
06-25-2022, 09:42 AM
A day after my wife broke her ankle hiking and got the basket ride down the trail from S&R, our LG fridge took a dump. It's still under warranty but in today's world, next day service or even immediate replacement with something else is rare. Found a 18cu foot clearance fridge at the local appliance store with some scratch and dents that got us through a week and a half. LG replaced their notorious compressor and our main unit is back in action.

What brands have you had good luck with in recent times and do you keep a spare around?

I will keep the cheap smaller fridge in the garage for backup from here on out.

https://youtu.be/iGoykCT-crQ

YVK
06-25-2022, 09:48 AM
Eric, I have not had a good experience with Samsung. We replaced our appliances give or take 5 years ago. Every time summer comes food inside the fridge goes bad even though the screen shows 34 degrees inside. I've stopped buying larger cartons of milk because of it. I use a small generic minifridge in my basement to store dairy and similar products.

EMC
06-25-2022, 10:01 AM
1980s fridgeshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220625/9e8a17ff9d7e4d76c71da1c2e7091ff6.jpg

Crazy Dane
06-25-2022, 10:26 AM
Samsung can suck the north end of a south bound mule! In the last 2 years, on a 5 year old fridge, I have replaced the back panel that holds the fan and temp sensors 3 times and the ice maker constantly freezes up, a known problem by corporate with complicated steps to resolve the problem. I am shopping for a new one to proactively replace that POS before the back panel goes out and ruins a bunch of food again.

My top contenders, in no particular order; GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, and Maytag to stay with in a reasonable price.

EMC
06-25-2022, 11:02 AM
Anecdotally, our basement freezer whirlpool has been a rock solid reliable unit. Also the spare smaller fridge I bought is a whirlpool but it has mixed reviews online for cheap construction.

5pins
06-25-2022, 11:55 AM
No more Samsung refrigerators for me again. BTW there is a class action suit for the ice maker.

Totem Polar
06-25-2022, 01:10 PM
A day after my wife broke her ankle hiking and got the basket ride down the trail from S&R, our LG fridge took a dump. It's still under warranty but in today's world, next day service or even immediate replacement with something else is rare. Found a 18cu foot clearance fridge at the local appliance store with some scratch and dents that got us through a week and a half. LG replaced their notorious compressor and our main unit is back in action.

What brands have you had good luck with in recent times and do you keep a spare around?

I will keep the cheap smaller fridge in the garage for backup from here on out.

https://youtu.be/iGoykCT-crQ

I had the same sort of situation crop up, and I ran a similar thread in the site supporter section. I ended up with a Beko, and so far it’s a major upgrade. No smart-phone bullshit, just a freezer that works, a crisper with some sort of UV light tech that actually does keep veggies longer, awesome soft led lighting, and a perfectly regulated fridge temp. No regrets so far.

I’m keeping the tall-size dorm fridge that I got as a stop gap in the garage, for the same reasons that you are.

Default.mp3
06-25-2022, 01:27 PM
n = 1, but my Samsung fridge has been fine so far, it's been going for over two and a half years. My 6 YO Midea mini-fridge is still trucking along, even though it lost a fair bit of coolant during a move; I leave it running in the garage. I just purchased a GE stand-up freezer, which is allegedly garage rated, so the fact that I've got in the kitchen should let it last for quite some time.

Coyotesfan97
06-25-2022, 01:41 PM
My daughter’s washer just went out. It’s a stacked unit. We went to Spenser’s to get a replacement. Anyways Mrs CF started looking at refrigerators. Our GE Profile is 12 years old and the ice maker is crapping out. She ended up going with a GE Cafe which the sales guy told us is the step above the Profile. We bought it about two the day before and it was delivered at noon yesterday.

camsdaddy
06-25-2022, 02:09 PM
I’ve found the less features and doo dads the longer they seem to last.

Crazy Dane
06-25-2022, 03:12 PM
No more Samsung refrigerators for me again. BTW there is a class action suit for the ice maker.

I Know about the class action but they made it complicated and my possible $7.31* of the settlement doesn't make it worth the effort.

* Guesstimation. I have been part of serval class action suits and the most I have ever seen was 15$ out of Ford's sparkplug debacle.

UNK
06-27-2022, 01:56 AM
Heres an interesting article on refrigerator reliability. I think the best bet is to go to a local seller, not a big box, with a service department and talk with them. What is really depressing about the article, 7-10 year service life.

https://prudentreviews.com/reliable-refrigerator-brands/

ETA Be sure to click the Yale and other links within the article. Yale has a quite in depth blog on the services they see daily/yearly with a 35 person service dept and claim 800,000 views per year.

EMC
06-27-2022, 08:52 AM
Heres an interesting article on refrigerator reliability. I think the best bet is to go to a local seller, not a big box, with a service department and talk with them. What is really depressing about the article, 7-10 year service life.

https://prudentreviews.com/reliable-refrigerator-brands/

ETA Be sure to click the Yale and other links within the article. Yale has a quite in depth blog on the services they see daily/yearly with a 35 person service dept and claim 800,000 views per year.This is a treasure trove of good info, thanks for sharing.

luckyman
06-27-2022, 11:36 AM
Samsung can suck the north end of a south bound mule! In the last 2 years, on a 5 year old fridge, I have replaced the back panel that holds the fan and temp sensors 3 times and the ice maker constantly freezes up, a known problem by corporate with complicated steps to resolve the problem. I am shopping for a new one to proactively replace that POS before the back panel goes out and ruins a bunch of food again.

My top contenders, in no particular order; GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, and Maytag to stay with in a reasonable price.

Based on our Samsung fridge experience, if I ever buy another Samsung appliance my wife will kill me in the middle of the night with the butcher’s knife that she loves for me to keep razor sharp, cut me up into pieces, stuff me into said Samsung, and have the garbage service haul us off.

MichaelD
06-27-2022, 04:30 PM
There are exactly two kinds of products Samsung makes well:

1. Smartphones
2. Solid state drives

Everything else they make appears to be junk based on my experience and the experiences of my friends and relatives.

TCB
06-27-2022, 05:17 PM
After a bunch of research and recommendations I just bought a Bosch 500 series French door refrigerator…I like the layout and they get excellent reviews. I have one of their dishwashers being delivered in a week as well. Quality stuff.