PDA

View Full Version : USPSA Nationals Leaves Colorado

Jim Watson
06-24-2022, 01:48 PM
From USPSA

The USPSA Nationals that were scheduled to be held October 11-17th at the Cameo Shooting Sports and Educational Complex in Palisades, CO have been rescheduled to the CMP Marksmanship Park in Talladega, AL.

After the recent 2 Gun Nationals that were held at the Cameo Range, The Colorado Parks and Wildlife that operates the state run facility implemented new procedures with regards to an affidavit for "Compliance with the Law" Declaration that all competitors would have to, under perjury, complete. USPSA made the decision to refuse to participate in this and choose to reschedule and relocate Nationals.

The real meaning is that you would have to swear you are not bringing full capacity and extended magazines to Colorado.

Norville
06-24-2022, 01:54 PM
The real meaning is that you would have to swear you are not bringing full capacity and extended magazines to Colorado.

Or attest that you have owned them continuously since prior to the enactment of the law.

Probably easier to just move the venue.

GJM
06-24-2022, 02:03 PM
Remember, as we learned from Martha Stewart, it's not the crime that puts you in jail but rather lying about it.

Suvorov
06-24-2022, 02:41 PM
As someone about to move to Colorado - I find this disappointing. That said - I know that the same dark forces that control Kalifornia have a strong hold in Colorado as well. This just reminds me that while I am taking a step towards freedom it is only a half step.

Maybe my vote will count? Ha ha ha……..

JCN
06-24-2022, 03:50 PM
I remember when the USPSA leadership told competitors “hey don’t worry about it!” when people not wanting to purjure themselves said “hey, Colorado isn’t a smart location for hicap Nats….”

YVK
06-24-2022, 06:38 PM
I went to Cameo this year with my 22 round mags, and last year as well. I thought that, besides enjoying great matches, excellent facility, and a pretty nice town, helping folks of Mesa County and Western Slope to extend their middle fingers towards Denver was a good thing to do. This was all based on pretty solid info that local law enforcement wouldn't go after competitors. Obviously, we didn't have to fill any affidavits. I am disappointed that the Wildlife made this move but I am sure it was pushed down from Denver. I'll see how this looks next year, because I've owned those mags for as long as I remember. Maybe longer.

I am ambivalent about USPSA's original decision. I support the general idea of not giving in to antis; on the other hand, holding the Nationals at, at best, questionable from a legal standpoint location doesn't show good leadership skills.

Shotgun
06-24-2022, 06:46 PM
How many people compete at Nationals and what is a usual entry fee? I hope its a bunch of money that Colorado is losing.

Jim Watson
06-24-2022, 06:50 PM
IDPA is stuck in Colorado this year but will bail out in 2023.

https://www.idpa.com/update-from-joyce-wilson/?fbclid=IwAR2LuKXGrCLiUS7PxZuwTGBNtQxHCImE0ZKZyZLi zSQotJrLBzjL897snsw

YVK
06-24-2022, 07:12 PM
How many people compete at Nationals and what is a usual entry fee? I hope its a bunch of money that Colorado is losing.

Depends on how many divisions compete at the same timeframe and venue. I am going to say, probably three hundred per division? This was a four division match, so a lot of people. Grand Junction would've made a good chunk on hotels, food, and car rentals. cheby has signed up for both CO and Limited Nats, he can tell exactly how high are entry fees. That money goes to USPSA, and I am curious how they are going to handle refunds.

Borderland
06-24-2022, 07:16 PM
As someone about to move to Colorado - I find this disappointing. That said - I know that the same dark forces that control Kalifornia have a strong hold in Colorado as well. This just reminds me that while I am taking a step towards freedom it is only a half step.

That's because half the people in CO are from CA. ;) We have the same problem here in WA.

CleverNickname
06-24-2022, 09:58 PM
Or attest that you have owned them continuously since prior to the enactment of the law.

Probably easier to just move the venue.

Not all competitors will have possessed such mags prior to 2013 (they weren't old enough, weren't into firearms before then, didn't get their current gun before then, whatever). Since not everyone can legally have 15+ round magazines it's a competitive equity problem. This was literally the exact reason why rule 3.3.1 was put in place. It probably would have been easier if USPSA had said 3.3.1 was applicable when it was announced that Nationals was being held in Colorado. I'm guessing that they didn't because that would probably dampen the enthusiasm some potential attendees would have about attending the match. Or maybe hold Prod/L10/Single Stack/Revolver Nationals at Cameo and the other divisions someplace else.

But the USPSA BoD seems to revel in making stupid decisions, so this is all rather unsurprising.

IDPA is stuck in Colorado this year but will bail out in 2023.

https://www.idpa.com/update-from-joyce-wilson/?fbclid=IwAR2LuKXGrCLiUS7PxZuwTGBNtQxHCImE0ZKZyZLi zSQotJrLBzjL897snsw

Why would IDPA care about >10 round mags?

Wake27
06-24-2022, 10:22 PM

Where to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clusterfrack
06-24-2022, 10:25 PM
But the USPSA BoD seems to revel in making stupid decisions, so this is all rather unsurprising.

The level of retardation continues to impress.

Suvorov
06-24-2022, 11:36 PM
Where to?

North side of the Springs.

I grew up in Laramie so ironically purchased most of my pre-ban magazines in Colorado during the 1990s.

I have no doubt that this affidavit BS is being pushed by Denver. Is it a requirement for all shooters at any state run range?

Bucky
06-25-2022, 05:35 AM

Many IDPA competitors compete with standard capacity magazines even though they only load to 10 rounds. Many people don’t own 10 round magazines if they don’t have to. It just makes sense not to put people in a potentially compromising situation, or force them to buy magazines for a single match. Consider two, some people shoot STI‘s. Those mags are not cheap.

Take it from somebody who knows. I bought 15 round STI magazines so I could compete in New Jersey. It was probably a $400 investment. Two years later, they change the law to 10 rounds.

Jim Watson
06-25-2022, 08:23 AM
Many IDPA competitors compete with standard capacity magazines even though they only load to 10 rounds.

Or 11. It is convenient to use a full capacity magazine to get to a 10+1 start versus a "Barney Mag."

I shoot mostly ESP with 1911s and have to carry a Barney Mag. I have looked for a SLIGHTLY extended single stack magazine for LAMR but not found one.

Wake27
06-25-2022, 09:47 AM
North side of the Springs.

I grew up in Laramie so ironically purchased most of my pre-ban magazines in Colorado during the 1990s.

I have no doubt that this affidavit BS is being pushed by Denver. Is it a requirement for all shooters at any state run range?

I’m not too sure about the book answer to your question but El Paso county uniformly DGAFs about the mag ban. Even after having heard several sources saying that our sheriff was one of the many that blatantly stated it wouldn’t be upheld, I was a little unsure when I first moved here until I shot my first match. I was in a squad with two county sheriff’s deputies and a CO Springs police officer and they were all rocking full/extended capacity mags. The stores around here all sell various size mags so the county is fairly pro-gun.

Suvorov
06-25-2022, 09:53 AM
I’m not too sure about the book answer to your question but El Paso county uniformly DGAFs about the mag ban. Even after having heard several sources saying that our sheriff was one of the many that blatantly stated it wouldn’t be upheld, I was a little unsure when I first moved here until I shot my first match. I was in a squad with two county sheriff’s deputies and a CO Springs police officer and they were all rocking full/extended capacity mags. The stores around here all sell various size mags so the county is fairly pro-gun.

Thanks,

That is the read I’ve been getting from everyone there. I wish Colorado today was the Colorado of the 1990s, but the state offers so much more in other aspects than my other options were. I’m specifically targeting ElPaso county as well instead of crossing the lines into Douglas (while that is more of a school thing the general concept extends to guns as well).

JSGlock34
06-25-2022, 11:31 AM

SSP capacity is 15 rounds now after the latest rule update.

JCN
06-25-2022, 11:49 AM
SSP capacity is 15 rounds now after the latest rule update.

And IDPA PCC is high cap too

Quantrill
06-27-2022, 04:21 PM
Everything that USPSA does right now is like the final seen out of Bridge Over The River Kwai, “Madness……..Madness”

Oh well, I guess we’ll just plan to ride 11 hours in the opposite direction. In fairness, it’s the same distance, but still……..

GJM
06-27-2022, 06:25 PM
Cameo range IDPA:

The next IDPA Match at CSEC will be held on July 2, 2022.

Pre-Registration and Payment on Practiscore Is Required

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION

LARGE CAPACITY MAGAZINE NOTIFICATION

This notification applies only to IDPA Matches held at the
Cameo Shooting and Education Complex Range.
Statement of Purpose: Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW), operator of the Cameo Range, does not allow any person to possess a large-capacity magazine on its properties unless an exception to the prohibition applies to that person.
Definition: A large capacity magazine is defined as: A fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip, or similar device capable of accepting, or that is designed to be readily converted to accept, more than fifteen rounds of ammunition. Large-capacity magazine does not mean: A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than fifteen rounds of ammunition;
Enforcement Procedure: Any shooter intending to use a large capacity magazine that was not owned prior July 1, 2013, and continuously possessed since that date, will not be allowed to participate in the match and should not register for the match on Practiscore. All shooters possessing and/or shooting with a large-capacity magazine are required to report to the CSEC office at the Cameo Range prior to the match and sign a “Declaration Regarding Large Capacity Magazines” before participating in the event (see the Declaration form below).
Match Registration: Registration will not be completed until the shooter checks the box on the registration form indicating that they have read Declaration and understand the CPW requirements. Click Here to see the Declaration.

Archer1440
07-10-2022, 04:08 PM
And IDPA PCC is high cap standard capacity too

FIFY. With respect, words do matter.

JCN
07-10-2022, 04:24 PM
FIFY. With respect, words do matter.

Except that at least for USPSA, a lot of people use higher than standard capacity for PCC.

A 33 round magazine with a 10 round extension still IMO is high capacity and not standard.