Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P .45 Compact w/safety, dark earth frame
Caliber: .45 ACP
Ammunition: WWB 230gr FMJ, Federal 230gr JHP +P
Dates of testing: 24 Mar '11
Total rounds fired: 220
Stoppages: 0
Malfunctions: 0
Breakages: 0

After some issues (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?377-Heinie-vs.-Trijicon-HD-Night-Sights) getting my Bowie Tactical Operators installed, I finally picked up my pistol last night and got some range time in. I like it, a lot. My previous pistol was a XD .45 Service model, so this is a step up in my opinion. M&P performed flawlessly, not a single issue. But it's taking me awhile to get used to the trigger, which felt real gritty to me. I've read about the DCAEK upgrade, but my gun budget is blown for a bit. Overall, I'm very pleased with the M&P, I just need lots more range time. My issue with recoil anticipation is killing me. Hopefully I'll get this worked out soon, because I'm scheduling my conceal carry class next month. Now I just need to find a good IWB holster.

DocGKR
03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
If you are having recoil issues, why did you get a compact .45 instead of a more manageable full-size pistol in 9 mm?

texasaggie2005
03-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Fair question. I don't have an issue handling recoil after pulling the trigger (I don't think). In my mind, my issue is immediately prior to the trigger breaking, I sometimes compensate early, and my shot is centerline but low. Maybe I am wrong in separating these two events in my head? When I think out the shot, I do fine.

Oscar 319
03-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Give the trigger some time before you go the Apex route. Most M&P45's triggers "sweeten" up the more you shoot them.

My M&P45's trigger smoothed up nicely at around the 900-1000 rnd mark.

texasaggie2005
03-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Cool, thanks.

rjohnson4405
03-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Fair question. I don't have an issue handling recoil after pulling the trigger (I don't think). In my mind, my issue is immediately prior to the trigger breaking, I sometimes compensate early, and my shot is centerline but low. Maybe I am wrong in separating these two events in my head? When I think out the shot, I do fine.

The reason you are compensating early is because you're preparing for the blast/kick of a .45. (I'm not saying it's an un-shootable cartridge, just more kick/blast than a 9mm). The issue you are seeing is in response to recoil even if it doesn't "bother" you once the gun goes off.

Are you seeing the front sight rise as the gun goes off? When you know you're anticipating the shot, do you see yourself anticipate (the front sight drop before going off)? Keep those eyes open so you can tell exactly where that shot is going when it goes off.

Dry fire and ball/dummy drills will help. Also maybe double up on hearing protection, many people perceive loud noise as recoil/flinch inducing.

part-time shooter
03-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Pistol: Smith & Wesson M&P .45 Compact w/safety, dark earth frame
Caliber: .45 ACP
Ammunition: WWB 230gr FMJ, Federal 230gr JHP +P
Dates of testing: 24 Mar '11
Total rounds fired: 220
Stoppages: 0
Malfunctions: 0
Breakages: 0

After some issues (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?377-Heinie-vs.-Trijicon-HD-Night-Sights) getting my Bowie Tactical Operators installed, I finally picked up my pistol last night and got some range time in. I like it, a lot. My previous pistol was a XD .45 Service model, so this is a step up in my opinion. M&P performed flawlessly, not a single issue. But it's taking me awhile to get used to the trigger, which felt real gritty to me. I've read about the DCAEK upgrade, but my gun budget is blown for a bit. Overall, I'm very pleased with the M&P, I just need lots more range time. My issue with recoil anticipation is killing me. Hopefully I'll get this worked out soon, because I'm scheduling my conceal carry class next month. Now I just need to find a good IWB holster.

Keep shooting it before you mess with the trigger much, I've got the APEX parts in my M&P40 which made the trigger better immediately, no denying that, but the M&P 45s I have all smoothed out with use, both dry fire and live. The compact is no more difficult to shoot well than the midsize, I have both. The slides are exactly the same and recoil is exactly the same, the compact's frame is shorter but your pinky doesn't hang off so you can get a full grip on it. I'd do what you did and replace the sites first, the standard 3 dots are serviceable but not great. Also all that dry fire practice to smooth the trigger will help cure the recoil anticipation you are experiencing.

Pistol Shooter
03-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Give the trigger some time before you go the Apex route. Most M&P45's triggers "sweeten" up the more you shoot them.

My M&P45's trigger smoothed up nicely at around the 900-1000 rnd mark.

+1

I had the same experience with my M&P 9.

The trigger was pretty good right out of the box (guess I was lucky there) but after 600 rds. it smoothed out considerably.

So give your trigger 800 to 1,000 rds. and see how it does OP.

Keep us updated on your situation. :)

texasaggie2005
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the replies everybody. I had been seeing my front sight drop as I shot, so I was anticipating the shot badly. After nightly dry fire practice, and hitting the range again this weekend, to say I made a lot of improvement would be an understatement. Due to budget constraints, only had 150 rounds to shoot. Went from being disgusted with each shot, to actually impressed with the results. Last 100 rounds were sub 4" groups at 7 yards. Also had the help of an elderly gentleman in the lane beside me. He must have heard me cursing after throwing few shots, and offered a simple change on my grip. Had me rotate my right/strong hand a little bit counter-clockwise on the grip to get more finger on the trigger and more inline with my arm. Worked wonders on my recoil management too. Still lots of work to go, but happy with my progress this weekend.

DocGKR
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Consider getting some good handgun training--EAG, Magpul Dynamics, Trident Concepts, VTAC, CSAT, Vickers Tactical, ITTS, Todd Green/PistolTraining.com, and TigerSwan have all offered superb instruction for officers here--you would be ahead of the game to get training from any of them. Some other folks offering good training include: Pat Goodale/PFT, Louis Awerbuck/Yavpai Shooting Academy, LMS Defense, Kyle Defoor, Jason Falla/Redback One, Pat Mcnamara/TMAC, Mike Pannone/CTT Solutions, Jim Smith/Spartan Tactical, Tom DiTomasso/Fulcrum Concepts, Dave Hall, Don Lazzarini, and Rob Haught on shotguns. A lot of these classes are available through Grey Group Training.

texasaggie2005
03-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info Doc, I'll start looking into who's going to be nearby and prices.