PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Press for 45 ACP

ECVMatt
06-20-2022, 10:47 AM
Good morning to all,

My neighbor is getting out of the 45 ACP and is giving me about 4000 rounds worth of bullets and brass. I just so happen to have enough powder and primers to finish them off.

I currently have a single stage press, but not the wherewithal to crank out 4000 rounds on it. I guess I could if I really wanted to, but am pretty busy with work right now. I was thinking about getting a progressive press that could load both the 45 ACP and .357 mag. These are the two pistol rounds I shoot and reload the most.

I had a Dillon 550 in the past when I was varmint shooting, but was wondering if a handgun specific press might be better.

Any suggestions from the hive?

Thanks,

Matt

HeavyDuty
06-20-2022, 11:14 AM
I have a very old Dillon Square Deal B that I’ve always been completely happy using. If I were staring fresh, I think I’d look at that again.

ECK
06-20-2022, 01:53 PM
I load pistol rounds on a 550 and have been doing so for the last 14+ years. My first year of competition shooting I did all my loading chores on a single stage press I bought in college in the early 90’s. I think I loaded close to 6K rnds that year on the single stage before I caved and bought the 550. Once the press is setup I can load 100 rnds in about 12 mins, or 400 rnds in an hour which includes filling the primer tubes. Personally I’ve never felt the need to crank out ammo faster than that. I also prefer the D550’s manually indexing shell plate as opposed to the auto-indexing that the other Dillon models offer.

I have friends who swear by the D650 (replaced with the D750) but they also admit to really make the best use of the 650/750 you need to add the shell dispenser and bullet dispenser. Otherwise, if you run it without, the main difference is the priming system and auto-indexing shell plate. And I suppose the ability to add a powder checker that you can’t on a D550.

I also know shooter who reload on the D1050 or Mark 7 Autodrive, which is a next level of “going all in” that I could never justify the cost vs time savings.

I spent 25 mins this morning to reload after this weekend’s match. I guess it all depends on how valuable your time is.

Jim Watson
06-20-2022, 01:56 PM
Square Deal has lower leverage, I was getting high primers loading .45 ACP (but not 9mm).
A 550 is better but I don't know if only 4000 rounds will amortize a progressive.

foxj66
06-20-2022, 01:56 PM
If you dont already know you need a faster press I would buy a 550, I think its dillons best press and I load the bulk of my stuff on an automated 1050.

TiroFijo
06-21-2022, 07:06 AM
Another vote for the Dillon 550, it has served me well for almost 30 years...

mmc45414
06-21-2022, 08:39 AM
For what you describe a 550 is just such a sweet spot that it is just hard to not. The cost comparisons with the 750 are a little confusing, because the caliber conversions are not included and are more, and you will want (some say need) the case feeder. But if you think your volume could go up the indexing and case feed make it a much more relaxing process.

Some of the Lee tools are worth considering, but you already know the 550 and you could buy a 550 and load your rounds and sell it if you decided you wanted to.

LittleLebowski
06-22-2022, 10:30 PM
#Dillon550AllTheThings (https://pistol-forum.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Dillon550AllTheThings)

SecondsCount
06-22-2022, 10:47 PM
If you are the type to sit down and load a couple hundred rounds at a time, the 550 is a great press, but if you want 600 an hour, get a 650 or 750.

vcdgrips
06-23-2022, 07:14 AM
I load 9mm on my first press-a SDB. I load .45 on my second press-a 550. After 20 plus years, it could stand to go back to the mothership for a lube/oil/adjust.

My first shooting mentor had a conga line of Square Deals in 9mm/38-357/44/45/223.

He ultimately sold them, made money and bought 2 650s, one for small primers and one for large. He was the kind of guy that made a good faith effort to reload 100 rd a day 5-6 days a week so he always had ammo ready to go .

Given that you "know" a 550, are just getting back in, it is a press that you can crank 300-400 an hour easily and caliber swap should the mood strike-550 seems to be an answer.

Jim Watson
06-23-2022, 10:10 AM
a good faith effort to reload 100 rd a day 5-6 days a week so he always had ammo ready to go .

My approach. A progressive turns out a hundred in short order, then I do Something Else and come back tomorrow. I am not one of the crank out a case at a time school of thought.
I am going to try for 200 in two fits today, starting NOW.

DDTSGM
06-23-2022, 03:34 PM
My recipe with my 550 was to start with five full primer tubes. After 300 I take a break and case gauge and package three hundred rounds. After gauging and boxing I load the three empty primer tubes. Repeat that another time for 600 primers used.

I generally start with some rounds from last session in an ammo can, so I have enough to fill the hundo gauge for the sixth time even with my culls. I put the rounds left over into an ammo can for next time.

That way I end with all the primer tubes ready for the next time.

Generally took me about two or three hours. Been a long time since I did that though, I'm sitting on over 6,000 lsmall pistol primers and around 4,000 large. Plus bullets. Fro some odd reason don't want to load them and not have any supplies - as I won't buy primers for a hundred a thousand.

jtcarm
06-23-2022, 10:56 PM
Answer no the all of the following and the Dillon SDB is your press:

Do you foresee adding a case or bullet feeder?
Do you anticipate using any specialty dies?
Will you want to load any rifle calibers?

I have a Hornady LNL AP, but the bulk of my pistol ammo is produced on an SDB. The shorter press stroke makes it faster than bigger presses (unless they have case or bullet feeders).

Also the case and bullet are fed from opposite sides of the press. This means I can use both hands and feed a bullet and case at the same time. That may seem insignificant, but I’d estimate it knocks 2-3 seconds off each round.

mmc45414
06-24-2022, 05:29 AM
I'm sitting on over 6,000 small pistol primers and around 4,000 large. Plus bullets. For some odd reason don't want to load them and not have any supplies
I figure if I got the primers, I can go in many directions. Once I loaded up maybe 8k of 9mm and then didn't like some of them (note to self: cast bullets and Titegroup do not work and play well together...) and was stuck. I keep the components but figure when I start the last thousand I will load two thousand. No rush, no pressure, plenty of time. :cool:

Whirlwind06
06-24-2022, 05:49 AM
For some odd reason don't want to load them and not have any supplies - as I won't buy primers for a hundred a thousand.

Unfortunately, that is the reality we live in, and I don't think it will get better anytime soon.

I bought a 550 a couple of years ago after using a lot of different Lee presses over the years.
I went with the 550 because I already had a lot of dies and figured it would be a slightly cheaper path than the SDB.

Jim Watson
06-24-2022, 09:54 AM
I have surrendered, I now doubt that primer prices will settle back to double the pre-panicdemic level as I first thought.
I gritted my teeth and paid $99.99 for Federal small pistol; some GM for 9mm and .38, some Magnum for .45 Small.

SecondsCount
06-24-2022, 10:57 AM
I have surrendered, I now doubt that primer prices will settle back to double the pre-panicdemic level as I first thought.
I gritted my teeth and paid $99.99 for Federal small pistol; some GM for 9mm and .38, some Magnum for .45 Small.

That's a small price to pay to enjoy one of your favorite activities :cool:

mmc45414
06-24-2022, 04:25 PM
That's a small price to pay to enjoy one of your favorite activities :cool:
Yeah, I hate paying an extra $65 for primers, but that is probably $7 a week, basically the cost of a pint of a nice craft brew.
It pisses me off a great deal, but I am probably going to be alive less than twenty more years, so...

RevolverRob
06-29-2022, 01:44 PM
I vote 750, because you get an extra station for a RCBS lock-out die - https://www.rcbs.com/spare-parts-and-extras/decap-units-and-pins/replacement-parts/lock-out-die/16-87540.html

Only double charges I've ever seen came from Dillon 550s without auto-indexing plates. Usually because something happens and interrupts your rhythm. I know we'll say stuff like, "Don't get distracted while reloading."

Yea that's nice. You know what's easier than not getting distracted as a human with a short attention span? A lock out die. ;)

walker2713
06-29-2022, 06:19 PM
I only use it for 9mm….easy to use, adjust and maintain.