PDA

View Full Version : 5 Shot Leather SME

Flamingo
06-14-2022, 12:32 PM
I am seriously considering getting a 5 Shot Leather SME for my BHP. I am interested in input on how it carries compared to Kydex or an Enigma.

I have noticed that with my Kydex AIWB holsters that the thinner belts work better and with my 5 Shot IWB a good leather belt works better. If I do get the SME I will likely get the 5 inch 1911.

theJanitor
06-14-2022, 12:52 PM
the SME is the best leather AIWB rig going. I prefer it above all other kydex AIWB holsters as well. I converted my leather loops to DCC monoblock clips, but now you can order it that way from 5Shot. I don't care for the leather loops, as they add thickness, and aren't perfectly spaced for my pant loops. The SME with DCC loops work perfectly with my Tenicor belt, and my OXbelt.

I also use the 5" 1911 rig for the BHP. It fits very well, and even blocks the custom, extended thumb safety on my BHP. I did not like the shorter length of the SME for a commander, so I stick to 5" regardless of slide length

JDB
06-14-2022, 01:25 PM
I've had an early SME for several years for a P30, and before that a M&P9. It carries a touch lower than most of my JMCustom kydex holsters.

With the right pants (not too low riding), it's flat out the most comfortable holster I have.

It's a little thicker at the waistband, so I don't wear it with a T-shirt much (I'm pretty lean though). Apparently newer versions are a little less thick?
The DCC monoblock idea sounds like it might be the ticket to reduce thickness.

All in all, I love it. It tucks the pistol very very well.

MGW
06-14-2022, 05:27 PM
the SME is the best leather AIWB rig going. I prefer it above all other kydex AIWB holsters as well. I converted my leather loops to DCC monoblock clips, but now you can order it that way from 5Shot. I don't care for the leather loops, as they add thickness, and aren't perfectly spaced for my pant loops. The SME with DCC loops work perfectly with my Tenicor belt, and my OXbelt.

I also use the 5" 1911 rig for the BHP. It fits very well, and even blocks the custom, extended thumb safety on my BHP. I did not like the shorter length of the SME for a commander, so I stick to 5" regardless of slide length

They are great holsters aren’t they? But I’m with you about the leather loops. Glad you found a solution.

I would love to pick one up for a P30 someday.

theJanitor
06-14-2022, 06:37 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220614/8445aaebf33c155b923a449fc4401637.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik
06-14-2022, 06:41 PM
Does anybody happen to know if the SME can be made to accommodate an RDO. Bonus points if it's a PX4 compact with an RDO...

rd62
06-14-2022, 07:17 PM
What's the wait like?

RevolverRob
06-14-2022, 07:21 PM
Does anybody happen to know if the SME can be made to accommodate an RDO. Bonus points if it's a PX4 compact with an RDO...

I would imagine that's not a problem. Ralston has done RDS holsters before, I dunno about the SME specifically.

What's the wait like?

IIRC ~24mo right now. Call John and get on the list, the sooner you do, the happier you'll be.

Lately I haven't been carrying my STI in my SME, but it's one of my favorites to carry.

theJanitor
06-14-2022, 07:21 PM
What's the wait like?

NPV

NPV
06-14-2022, 09:07 PM
What's the wait like?

NPV

My most recent one took 18 months (natural rough out so non standard order). I’ll echo what theJanitor said it is simply the best AIWB leather rig going.

Flamingo
06-14-2022, 09:38 PM
What's the wait like?

I am on the list for one as of today.

UNM1136
06-15-2022, 05:37 PM
What's the wait like?

In a couple weeks I will be at 24 months....

pat

RevolverRob
06-16-2022, 03:32 PM

Posted today:

p/Ce4KRRLPfr3

Erik
06-16-2022, 04:20 PM
Thanks for posting that. I thought I was following him but I guess the old account got disabled.

Erik
06-16-2022, 07:38 PM
Well shit. I emailed asking about an SME for a Beretta PX4 Compact with RDO set up for a 1 3/4 inch belt, right side carry and the ability to alternate between the belt loops and DCC monoblock clips and..."Yes sir, no problem." So now I have a dilemma. Do I order one or do I think about it for a while, go back and forth on it and then order one?

theJanitor
06-16-2022, 08:26 PM
I've tried several SME, and I never cared for the short ones. But that goes for any AIWB rig, as I prefer 5" (government/g34) length holsters. Also, if I were to try can AIWB a thicker pistol like a glock, I'd probably go with thinner Kydex

Irelander
06-16-2022, 10:33 PM

So I've been wondering about this. If you use a leather holster with longer muzzle length than the gun, does the extra leather at the muzzle end up being compromised and collapse? Seems to me like it would, which is why I figured Kydex was the only way to go for extra length holsters.

theJanitor
06-17-2022, 12:28 AM
So I've been wondering about this. If you use a leather holster with longer muzzle length than the gun, does the extra leather at the muzzle end up being compromised and collapse? Seems to me like it would, which is why I figured Kydex was the only way to go for extra length holsters.

The sme is really stout, and no issues so far with the shorter BHP in the longer holster

Maca
06-17-2022, 06:38 AM
I have SMEs for a Glock 19 with a dot; hk45c; 92centurion rdo; and 5" 1911. all have the DCC clip instead of the leather belt loop.

All are great - short, long, etc.

Irelander
06-17-2022, 01:37 PM
This thread definitely needs more pictures.

I take it that the following from the 5Shot Leather website is not still the case.

Due to the contruction of the SME, no options are available, and Black is the only color offered.

BobLoblaw
06-17-2022, 02:06 PM

I ran a 26 in a SME built for a 17 for a while with no issues. I asked John the same question before I bought mine and he said it might collapse a little bit but it did not at all. That leather is STIFF. My favorite leather rigs for sure.

Cool Breeze
08-26-2022, 05:43 PM
I don't have the SME but have saw it on a buddy of mine. It looks like it rides very low - like so low you can't get a full firing grip on the gun easily. Can anyone comment?

UNM1136
08-27-2022, 01:24 PM
My 1911 SME is hands down the best 1911 holster I have ever worn. Yeah, my middle finger dragged my belt. But on timer it was not an issue. Not ideal, but an acceptable trade off, IMHO. I am very,, very much a person to weigh risks,, and stakes,, and my SME is the holster for be everywhere,, do everything.. I understand that Mr. Ralston will do a custom cut for finger clearance, and my new SME has been on order for 25 months, I am waiting patiently, for a reason.

It may not be ideal, but.it is the best, IMHOP...YMMV

pat

UNM1136
09-02-2022, 02:01 PM
I don't have the SME but have saw it on a buddy of mine. It looks like it rides very low - like so low you can't get a full firing grip on the gun easily. Can anyone comment?

On my 1911 SME a softer/more flexible belt was the answer. Can drive 8-10 hours with it, can conceal it under a T-shirt in PHX. And fast. When my new one gets here with the knuckle cut I will post again.

pat

Cool Breeze
09-06-2022, 02:18 PM
On my 1911 SME a softer/more flexible belt was the answer. Can drive 8-10 hours with it, can conceal it under a T-shirt in PHX. And fast. When my new one gets here with the knuckle cut I will post again.

pat

Looking forward to seeing what it looks like!

EVP
09-06-2022, 02:33 PM
You can also just request a higher ride height belt loop to fix the ride height issue.

UNM1136
09-25-2022, 01:04 PM
Alright. Just got it. Even with the knuckle cut, the fit is tight. I have notice my wedding ring is way tight, too, so my fingers are swollen. Have not even threaded the thing on a belt yet. LOVE the TLG stamp on the wing.

Another reason this has never bothered me is how I train for draws. My mentor was an early devotee of Ron Avery (RIP), and eventually one of his and Bennie Coolie's AIs. He gave me a copy of Ron's Secrets of a Professional Shooter. He is currently a sponsored GM shooter in USPSA.

In the video, Ron explains, correctly, I believe, that at some point during your drawstrioke you have to touch your gun. Well, duh. Ron taught that the pad of your middle finger touching the frontstrap under the trigger guard should be the kinisiological tactile reference. No matter your start position, the tip of your middle finger should touch the frontstrap under the trigger guard and then you smash and smear your hand down on the backstrap while your fingers curl around the frontstrap. About 60% of my dry work starts with middle finger on the frontstrap under the trigger guard. I find I can get to that position consistently regardless of rising hands, dropping hands, laterally sliding hands, and it works regardless of carry position and gun. I have frequently said, though it will likely get me kilt on the streetz, that I regularly go from OWB Strongside at work, to OWB, IWB, and AIWB, even cross draw when off duty, with TDAs , striker fired,, single actions, DAO revolvers, hell, even last week I was in the woods with my Dad's (RIP) single action .357 revolver in a cowboy rig. It works. I just need 10-15 minutes of dry work to do it.

It is really a software problem not a hardware problem.

pat

172driver
05-02-2023, 02:53 PM
Thread revival. How did you guys go about ordering? Did you call or fill out the online order sheet? I sent him an email a week ago and he said there would be another batch of sme’s in a few weeks but can’t get any response back on how to get on the list (if that’s even possible).

Cool Breeze
08-23-2023, 09:57 AM
Alright. Just got it. Even with the knuckle cut, the fit is tight. I have notice my wedding ring is way tight, too, so my fingers are swollen. Have not even threaded the thing on a belt yet. LOVE the TLG stamp on the wing.

Another reason this has never bothered me is how I train for draws. My mentor was an early devotee of Ron Avery (RIP), and eventually one of his and Bennie Coolie's AIs. He gave me a copy of Ron's Secrets of a Professional Shooter. He is currently a sponsored GM shooter in USPSA.

In the video, Ron explains, correctly, I believe, that at some point during your drawstrioke you have to touch your gun. Well, duh. Ron taught that the pad of your middle finger touching the frontstrap under the trigger guard should be the kinisiological tactile reference. No matter your start position, the tip of your middle finger should touch the frontstrap under the trigger guard and then you smash and smear your hand down on the backstrap while your fingers curl around the frontstrap. About 60% of my dry work starts with middle finger on the frontstrap under the trigger guard. I find I can get to that position consistently regardless of rising hands, dropping hands, laterally sliding hands, and it works regardless of carry position and gun. I have frequently said, though it will likely get me kilt on the streetz, that I regularly go from OWB Strongside at work, to OWB, IWB, and AIWB, even cross draw when off duty, with TDAs , striker fired,, single actions, DAO revolvers, hell, even last week I was in the woods with my Dad's (RIP) single action .357 revolver in a cowboy rig. It works. I just need 10-15 minutes of dry work to do it.

It is really a software problem not a hardware problem.

pat

Thread revival - I really appreciate this post an d it got me thinking about the draw stroke a lot and the need for higher ride height holsters. I'm currently in the came of "I need the finger clearance" but I also appreciate that a lower riding gun is more concealable which generally means I can carry "more gun" at the expense of full firing grip on the gun during the draw. It's an interesting though experiment to figure out which is more important. If it means I can carry a G19 instead of a G26, etc. Either way any chance you can post a picture of the "knuckle cut" - I'm trying to mentally figure out what the trade off is.

taadski
08-23-2023, 10:57 AM
Here’s a bit of a play by play and some of the rationale of John’s first “knuckle clearance” modification on the SME. As an aside, it’s still my primary off duty carry holster to this day.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13960-5-Shot-Leather-SME-An-experiment-in-some-fine-tuning

UNM1136
08-24-2023, 11:33 PM
Here’s a bit of a play by play and some of the rationale of John’s first “knuckle clearance” modification on the SME. As an aside, it’s still my primary off duty carry holster to this day.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?13960-5-Shot-Leather-SME-An-experiment-in-some-fine-tuning

Way better than I would have done.

I pulled the belt loop off to play with a specific belt clip to play with ride height, after a conversation with WobblyPossum. Going back to the original belt loop after six months and refreshing my pad of the middle finger index for the draw. The increased ride height decreased stability and concealment, but was more adjustable while wearing and gave more clearance. Not enough of a tradeoff to be worth it. I am playing with the idea of using a Dremel sanding drum to move the edge of the wing a little closer to the stitch line, providing a little more clearance.

I was always taught the four point draw. First point being smashing your hand down on the backstrap, assuming a full firing grip, defeating retention, and then drawing. I describe the Ron Avery draw as more like snatching the pistol from the holster. Middle finger touches the front strap as the thumb lands on the retention point. I have done this with SLS, ALS, the proprietary Blade-tech and G-Code mechanical rotating hood retention, standard thumb breaks, and open top holsters of leather and kydex. Once the tactile index is made the hand does a quick down, defeating retention, fingers curl around the grip and pop the gun up. A fine distinction to be sure, but when I teach it I refer to the snatch as being a "quicker, lighter motion" if that makes sense. I believe it compromises the full firing grip, slightly, while being more suitable for general use for people who move carry positions move around like I do going from uniform duty holster to off duty IWB/AIWB to fanny pack, even to pocket carry. I tend to use at least three of those in a given week, with at least two different types of handgun, normally my duty G-17 with RMR in uniform or AIWB, and my walking to the mailbox/gym gun, a 9mm LCR, carried in a Philster Enigma or pants pocket.

I have to admit though, the mods on my SME are coming from a place of not wanting to admit that my SME cost a lot of money, and a lot of wait time, but it is just a wee bit shy of "perfect". Perfect is about 1/4-1/2 inch away on the upper edge of the wing. It is still the most comfortable, concealable holster I have ever owned, and I carry it waaay more than I draw from it.

It is not going anywhere.

pat