PDA

View Full Version : Summer Is Here. 114 And Shot Our Steel Challenge Match.

AzShooter
06-13-2022, 08:52 PM
O.K. lets preface this by saying I like the heat. I'm just not as young as I was.

I would spend hours in the sun practicing Archery and USPSA when I was younger and I was good at both. Now I'm a C- Class shooter for SCSA, I don't shoot Archery or USPSA anymore.

I went prepared. I had 6 large bottles of Gatorade, 4 bottles of water, electrolyte packets to put in my water, a cooling vest and towels but I still managed to get so worn out I cramped up on the last 3 stages and when I got home I almost passed out but held onto the car and missed hitting the floor.

I had to shoot the last two stages. 5 - to - Go and Smoke and Hope are just too much fun to not shoot them. Even the Match Director came up to me in his golfcart to see if I was o.k. I lied and he let me continue.

Next week's match, the weather is only supposed to be 103 so I'm going to shoot it again. I've added some salt tablets to my refrigerated cooler and I think this will help me get threw the day

RoyGBiv
06-14-2022, 06:38 AM
If you tell that story to your cardiologist, he/she'll let you skip your stress test this year.

Be safe out there! :o

BWT
06-14-2022, 07:04 AM
Take care of yourself out there man.

I’m not your parents or anything of that nature.

But if you almost lost consciousness when you got home. You probably should take it easy and see if there is some kind of conditioning you can do to work up to this?

I’m not a Dr. or anything, but I’d just imagine there are folks in your life that would care a lot if AzShooter passed out or had a medical issue out on the range.

Do you have a chair/stool you can sit on or a fan to bring with to help out with the heat?

If the match director is checking on you - I’d probably say you may have given visual indicators you weren’t in good shape. I’ll leave it at that and no disrespect intended.

Stephanie B
06-14-2022, 07:19 AM
Dude. (Shaking head) Just.... dude.

john c
06-14-2022, 07:32 AM
I’m not sure if there’s any conditioning that gets you ready for 114 degrees. At that temperature you need to drink like 3 liters of water an hour to survive.

Especially if there’s an age related condition…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn E. Meyer
06-14-2022, 10:34 AM
Been there on the cramps. When I was shooting in TX, I became a fan of Pedialyte for adults. I take some of that, Minute Maid small OJs and plain water. Eric Lamberson in TX has a blog post how he got home and went over on the floor. I've seen some folks close to a heat collapse.

One of our group would also bring a big ice chest stoked with sports drinks.

Our SOs would tell everyone to drink. Rule of thumb was that if you can't pee, you are on the brink.

Crappy guns laws in NYS but no inferno.

Stay safe! Also watch the sun - SPF the crap out of yourself. I know from experience, sigh.

Duces Tecum
06-14-2022, 12:14 PM
. . . when I got home I almost passed out but held onto the car and missed hitting the floor.

I'm not worried about you, you being a responsible adult and all. It's the thought of all those other drivers whose lives you could have catastrophically rearranged had things worked out even slightly differently.

If you were my brother, we'd open a bottle of Jack Daniel's and have a long talk about judgement.

All that said, I'm glad you made it.

Duces

Default.mp3
06-14-2022, 12:49 PM
I’m not sure if there’s any conditioning that gets you ready for 114 degrees. At that temperature you need to drink like 3 liters of water an hour to survive.

Especially if there’s an age related condition…Oh, you can definitely acclimatize for that kind of ambient temperature in the desert in it of itself if one is a healthy adult, simply due to how dry the air is; the wet-bulb temperature is more than enough to allow you to stay okay if you're properly hydrating. The problem comes up when there's other factors besides the raw ambient temperature; e.g., sun exposure, wind, etc. At that kind of temperature, wind isn't always helpful, because it just becomes a convection oven of sorts, and can heat you up faster. Being in the sun adds another heat source besides just the ambient temperature, and can be a huge source of issue; I run in the sun to help keep myself acclimatized (nothing quite like finishing a run and then sweating for another 40 minutes afterwards, even after a shower and sitting in AC), but I'm only doing ~2 to ~4 miles, before I'm uncomfortable enough to decide to stop (though nowhere near being actually dangerously close to overheating); however, if I'm running after sundown, even in just the minutes after during the sunset, I can easily truck on for another 6 to 10 miles with much less exertion.

I would strongly suggest a sun umbrella and portable seating for when you're not shooting. The shade is a huge difference in the desert, enough that we have plenty of folks on the SAR team that will carry one as part of their kit (I've been meaning to buy one to stick in my rescue pack, will probably do it after this post), in conjunction with our other shade building materials. If you're older, hydration alone is not necessarily going to be enough, simply because your body's ability to thermoregulate has degraded.

I'll also note that heat stroke will absolutely fuck you up. Even if you don't die, you can easily have life-altering consequences. Even heat exhaustion can cause issues that linger for weeks, so I would be exceedingly cautious about the coming match, simply because it may take your body quite some time to recover, and if you haven't fully recovered, you'd be at an elevated risk of heat-related illnesses again.

1911Nut
06-14-2022, 01:24 PM
I am a lifetime AZ resident and live in Mesa, AZ. I regularly shoot pistol matches in the Mesa and Phoenix area. I am 74 years old. In addition to competing in the matches, I usually perform a fairly high level of RO work at the local matches in which I participate.

I love to shoot. But I am very, very careful about staying hydrated and monitoring myself for signs of heat stress.

But doing it in 114 degree heat, receiving input from others on the range that you look like you might be in physical distress, driving home through Phoenix area traffic and almost passing out before you get in the house is really absurd.

I am not a physician. but IMHO, you are quite fortunate you did not experience a far, far worse incident.

All that risk to shoot bullets at pieces of steel in 114 degree heat in the AZ desert?

Re-think your strategy - please.

eb07
06-14-2022, 01:50 PM
The summer is my favorite time to be out in the desert, hiking, exploring, shooting.

Everyone else is hiding in the AC, pool, or lakes.

Just hydrate properly (I use electrolyte packets), and wear proper clothing such as hats, long sleeves, pants, water wicking socks and ventilated shoes, carry enough water you are GTG.

Over 25 years and never an issue.

CCT125US
06-14-2022, 02:18 PM
Pro tip from someone who has hypohydrosis. Take a handkerchief, roll up ice cubes in it and tie it around your neck. Keep a spare pre rolled in an ice chest and swap out as needed.

Darth_Uno
06-14-2022, 05:35 PM
We'd do that on hot days at work. Wrap ice in a tee shirt and put it around your neck.

Heat never really bothered me working or playing ball. Cold though, no thanks.

Sero Sed Serio
06-14-2022, 06:54 PM
Oh, you can definitely acclimatize for that kind of ambient temperature in the desert in it of itself if one is a healthy adult, simply due to how dry the air is; the wet-bulb temperature is more than enough to allow you to stay okay if you're properly hydrating. The problem comes up when there's other factors besides the raw ambient temperature; e.g., sun exposure, wind, etc. At that kind of temperature, wind isn't always helpful, because it just becomes a convection oven of sorts, and can heat you up faster. Being in the sun adds another heat source besides just the ambient temperature, and can be a huge source of issue; I run in the sun to help keep myself acclimatized (nothing quite like finishing a run and then sweating for another 40 minutes afterwards, even after a shower and sitting in AC), but I'm only doing ~2 to ~4 miles, before I'm uncomfortable enough to decide to stop (though nowhere near being actually dangerously close to overheating); however, if I'm running after sundown, even in just the minutes after during the sunset, I can easily truck on for another 6 to 10 miles with much less exertion.

I would strongly suggest a sun umbrella and portable seating for when you're not shooting. The shade is a huge difference in the desert, enough that we have plenty of folks on the SAR team that will carry one as part of their kit (I've been meaning to buy one to stick in my rescue pack, will probably do it after this post), in conjunction with our other shade building materials. If you're older, hydration alone is not necessarily going to be enough, simply because your body's ability to thermoregulate has degraded.

I'll also note that heat stroke will absolutely fuck you up. Even if you don't die, you can easily have life-altering consequences. Even heat exhaustion can cause issues that linger for weeks, so I would be exceedingly cautious about the coming match, simply because it may take your body quite some time to recover, and if you haven't fully recovered, you'd be at an elevated risk of heat-related illnesses again.

Back before my knees became very unhappy with running, I used to run weekly, and didn't let the Arizona summer stop me. I definitely built up a tolerance and could do a lot more physical activity in the heat as a result.

With the heat dome thing that's going on, we hit the one-teens much earlier than usual, so the jump in temperature without a chance to acclimate might have made a difference in the impact that this particular temperature made vs. years past.

The above is great advice, and all I'd add is if you're going to try to acclimate to full-speed (or as close to full-speed as is possible), do it slowly and incrementally. Be safe out there.

Oh, and nothing like sweating in a cool shower after sitting in the pool after running when it's 121...

Borderland
06-14-2022, 09:56 PM
I worked in the PHX valley a few summers as a surveyor. When the temps hit 105° or so we stopped work. That was usually around 10 or 11 AM on the really hot days. We went back to work around 4 and worked until dark. The temps I'm seeing in PHX now are hotter than I remember. I wouldn't be physically active outside in 114°. That's just asking for trouble.

Around here the pavement starts to buckle when it's over 100.

Spartan1980
06-14-2022, 10:31 PM
Pre-hydrating helps me more than anything except air conditioning. I drink more water than normal the evening before along with a bottle of Gatorade before bed. Match day morning coffee is limited, I still gotta have it, but I take it easy and start the water/Gatorade mix very early compared to normal. I'm one of those that can sweat out every drop I put in and I have to get a head start on it. If I do this routine my stamina is noticeably improved. Not AZ heat but close at times. Oklahoma and Texas is where I shoot.

TheNewbie
06-14-2022, 11:14 PM
I actually like the heat. Love working in it and I would prefer 105 to 55. That said, not everyone can take it as well. Those of us who handle it better than others, might be at greater risk of pushing ourselves without realzing that we are entering dangerous territory.

Last week I worked hard in near 100 degree heat for three straight days. In the sun for much of it, and even spent time around a fire. Plus I worked in the second story of a shop with no AC or moving air and was lifting weights during that week. I didn't come close to passing out, but it took it out of me. The fourth day I had planned to do some more mowing but I said forget it. It was just too much to deal with.

Be very careful. Shooting a match is not worth risking your safety or the safety of others. On average I drink a gallon of water a day, and even I can feel dehydrated at times when pushing myself.

I've been out in the sun so much recently that I am more brown than my wife. That change hasn't improved my Spanish though.

TheNewbie
06-14-2022, 11:17 PM
I have hiked in over 100 degree heat twice in west Texas. The first time I puked that night, and the second time I saw a fat black guy with a black kid standing on the side of the road (rural middle of nowhere west Texas). My brother, who was with me, didn't see the non existent pair. I let him drive.

YVK
06-15-2022, 01:15 AM
I went prepared

Going prepared is what he said

Pre-hydrating helps me more than anything except air conditioning. I drink more water than normal the evening before along with a bottle of Gatorade before bed.

If you tell that story to your cardiologist, he/she'll let you skip your stress test this year.

The other way around. We see signs of micro heart damage from overexertion in heat sometimes. Probably not a bad idea to know if heart is OK to begin with.

Oh, you can definitely acclimatize for that kind of ambient temperature in the desert in it of itself if one is a healthy adult, simply due to how dry the air is.

You can also run into a trouble because of how dry air is. Humidity often times slows people down while dry air is easier to handle and people keep going further than they should. I had that happen once. Took me out for a couple of days.

TheNewbie
06-25-2022, 03:02 PM
Wow it’s hot!

102 yesterday, 100 right. Worked outside both days and it’s brutal. Also did outside workouts as well.

While I wanted Mexican food tonight but my wife wants Asian. All that work for nothing!

LHS
06-25-2022, 03:17 PM
AZ summers are no joke. Many years ago, when I was younger and dumber, I took a 2-day AK class up at Ben Avery in July. It was 117 both days. We had several students and an AI go down as heat casualties. It was utterly stupid, but like I said, I was younger and much dumber and powered on. I drank a gallon of Gatorade and 2 gallons of water each day and didn't have to pee during the day. That should have been A Clue. Now I try not to do physical stuff when it gets much above 105 or so, and I take much better precautions in the way of electrolytes, personal shade/clothing choices, and paying attention to when I'm getting burned down before it becomes a problem. And hey, there's a reason we schedule our AZ classes in November-February :D

breakingtime91
06-25-2022, 05:10 PM
I have gotten heat sick twice this summer. Mostly because I'm dumb and underhydrated. Both times I have woken up and my body temperature is raised, I have a head ache, and I still that way for most of the day. I have been lifting almost everyday, biking on my nordic track for 20-40 minutes everyday and a 30 minute walk outside everyday even if it's hot. I am pretty sure this second time made me realize I'm not twenty anymore, beer is not a okay oh high exertion days, and to take better care of myself.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-27-2022, 08:53 AM
I recall this. I was taking a class in TX summer. One participant had survived significant burns as a child. Thus, he had large areas of skin that regrew but did not sweat. He went over in serious heat crisis about mid afternoon. It was mildly hot the other day in NYS. I kept drinking at the match. I did notice when I got home, despite putting down quite a few bottles of water, I hardly had to urinate and my little pee was dark. Need to drink more. Problem at a match is that if you have to pee, it's a long hike to the port-a-peepee. At this range, you cannot just go the woods as they are in the potential 180 deg OOPS of the firing positions.

That Guy
06-29-2022, 04:53 AM
If you were my brother, we'd open a bottle of Jack Daniel's and have a long talk about judgement.

Would the banana whiskey be there as a demonstration of poor judgement? ;)

(Sorry, I had to. Don't know the prices in your neck of the woods, but over here the price of a bottle of Jack is insane compared to the lack of quality. I mean, Bulleit Bourbon is pretty much the exact same price and Eagle Rare only slightly more expensive. Can't understand why anyone would choose Jack Daniels over, for example, those two.)