PDA

View Full Version : Your best moment during a training class?

NickA
03-23-2011, 09:19 PM
What was your best/favorite moment during a training class? I'm talking about an AHA! when you finally understand something, or just something that really made you feel good. In my vast experience of 1 class so far with DTI, getting my pin from Vickie Farnam was very cool, but what really got me was during the night shooting part of the course: we were moving down the line of steel rotator targets, shooting the top and bottom paddles once each, so 9 people at a time are banging away, steel is ringing like bells, the air is filled with smoke, the moon is out just a little, and at the next range over the advanced class is hammering away with rifles. At that moment I knew I had to do as much of this as I could.

Business_Casual
03-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Walk-back drill, 110 yards give or take, one handed, 1911, on a torso sized piece of steel...

ding!

B_C

Kyle Reese
03-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Dinner at Cracker Barrel with LAV. :cool:

Cleaning a plate rack first when going head to head with some of the very talented shooters at any PT class.

jar
03-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Grounded evolution in ECQC. Kicking a guy in the shins to keep him below my legs. Draw and get a click. Before I was consciously aware of what was going on, I tapped, racked, and got a perfect shot into him from the #2.

orionz06
03-23-2011, 09:40 PM
My first class was a Ken Hackathorn Advanced Handgun (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?231-AAR-Ken-Hackathorn-2-Day-Advanced-Handgun-September-18-19-2010) and there was not a single moment that was not an AHA! moment. To summarize things, my entire outlook prior was pretty much wrong. I am sure some folks could write a list of the things that needed to change. The obvious take home point was that I don't need to try to outshoot Dave Sevigny to be OK. It took a bit, but hearing Ken Hackathorn say you are OK, you are OK. This allows me to approach other things with a different, better, perspective.

Jay Cunningham
03-23-2011, 09:57 PM
When LAV described to me resetting the trigger *during* the recoil of the pistol a big flashbulb went off.

TCinVA
03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Watching the Superbowl with Ken Hackathorn and eating pizza with Ken and LAV is without question one of the coolest things I've done as a result of training courses. Nothing like getting some serious gun guys around the table and just listening.

If you mean lightbulb moments, I've had several...the first time I trained with Kyle Defoor, the first LAV class, the first AFHF I attended...all had profound influences on how I thought and how I did things from then on.

Prdator
03-23-2011, 11:43 PM
I've had many, some came from Tom Givens and his "Dynamic Marksmanship" class!!, it was two days and about 1400 rounds of ammo!! ;) as a new shooter I was the last man standing and had to shoot against Hanney and he does this for a living.

Tom Givens instructor and advanced instructor classes. If you want to be able to teach this to beginning students, these are a must!!

Then Magpul, WOW, Costa can shoot, and to have him pick you out of the pack to talk about was way cool!!

Then AFHF!!! Shooting with ToddG is freaking awesome!!!! his "why's" are more than worth the price of admission.

But the training that will make you look different at all other training and those that have not done it. CQT with Mike Brown at USSA ( or ECQC with Southnarc) Mike says it's as Real as it gets!! He's right, fighting with two guy's wile tearing a Glock sim gun in two and "shooting" the bad guy, then having to answer the questions the cop asked when he got there to interview you!!
IMHO until you have done this type of training you don't have all the AHA's....

Also would have to mention some of the Presentations I've been in on.
John Hearn, William April, Tom Givens, Skip Gochenour, and John Farnam.

dookie1481
03-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Dinner at Cracker Barrel with LAV. :cool:

Cleaning a plate rack first when going head to head with some of the very talented shooters at any PT class.

Oh Cracker Barrel..I only eat there when I go see my parents in Utah, but it is amazing!

VolGrad
03-24-2011, 07:55 AM
From my AFHF AAR thread ...

Finishing one of the shooting on the move drills with all hits (the only one out of 12 students) and having TLG get right up in my face, finger waving, saying ..."Dude .... that was F*#&ing AWESOME .... and I don't say that word much. I don't say AWESOME. I say F*#& all the time.". :p

Others include;

Nearly getting ran over by a run away horse in the same class. Seriously.

Finally getting the "calling your shots" thing during the same AFHF class.

Like some else said already ... figuring out to reset the trigger during recoil. I think my moment was in a LAV 1911 class too.

Walk-back drill in LAV's 1911 class. I wasn't at the top of the class but I think I made to about 75 yards on a torso steel silhouette.

NickA
03-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Neat how a lot of these are more after classes or just BS'ing with instructors. I think it really speaks to the quality of an instructor if he just keeps on teaching outside the actual class, because that's who they ARE, not just what they do. I was fortunate to be invited to dinner after our class and did a lot of STFU and listening. I was just kind of dumbstruck to be sitting there with the Farnams. Really from beginning to end the whole thing was a life changer.
Glad to see AFHF listed as well, I'll be there next week.

JV_
03-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Last year I was trying/learning to do a press out. I just couldn't get the gun leveled soon enough, then I saw TCinVA and ToddG practicing on the line. After watching a few iterations, I noticed TC's deliberate shoulder movement ... it was my missing piece.

TAP
03-24-2011, 08:13 AM
Most of my best moments are after classes, sometimes days or even weeks later, when I am able to fully implement some of the skills I learned and notice a difference.

YVK
03-24-2011, 09:22 AM
I noticed TC's deliberate shoulder movement ... it was my missing piece.

Now I want to see TC's deliberate shoulder movement...

As far as "feel good about it", there were some, but they almost always were followed by a return to reality, sooner or later:D These situations though show a value of positive reinforcement in training.

As far as learning AHA moments, many that I remember and none that I'd specifically select as The Moment.

And I agree with TAP 100%. Class lasts 2-3 days and even if you think you've implemented something you'd just learned, you haven't. It takes your own practice time to truly assess the value of learned material and integrate it in practice.

LittleLebowski
03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Dinner at the Cracker Barrel with Larry Vickers.

Todd saying to me "I didn't know you could shoot that well" on Dot Torture at AFHF.

Winning the 10 at 10 in 10 or less at the Vickers Advanced Class.

Hearing my buddy Sweesus render Larry speechless with his off the wall humor.

Getting hit by a ricochet at the Vickers class and still finishing the string while bleeding profusely.

Watching Larry give his speech on worshipping the shot timer and then proceeding to lick said shot timer in front of the class.

Jason
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Just a few good ones:

Greg Hamilton's description of the OODA loop and how it applies to your mental rollodex.

John Holschen's discussion that included "the first time I shot somebody" and how when he center pucheed them with a rifle round they didnt look to impresed. Lesson: keep shooting until they are no longer in your sight picture because they dropped or ran. IE: do not super-impose your pre established ideas of the fight ending with an actual fight.

Greg Hamilton on asking who imagines getting shot in the face, surviving, and continuing to fight.

One police instructor who said: I am going to go piss on my hands and then shake all the new incomming students hands. Totally hillarious.

Hamilton: Keep shooting until they run out of brains, balls, or blood.

Holschen: gear is the last item on a list of tactical considerations, meaning it is the least important, and once you have that box checked, move on and work on training, combat mind set ect...

Vickers: acceptable wobble, shell on front sight drills, ball and command dummy.

Walking back to 110 or so yards and hitting a man-sized steel plate.

Hitting (for this non-rifle shooter) a man size target at 200 yards easily with a non-maged red dot realizing expensive, elaborate, and heavy optics not all that important.

Todd's class: clearing plates then failing to clear the last plate with one hand every time (psyching myself out).

And I'll add Littlelebowski's Marine friend and just about everything he said making me laugh for three days straight. Dude is the best.

TCinVA
03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Last year I was trying/learning to do a press out. I just couldn't get the gun leveled soon enough, then I saw TCinVA and ToddG practicing on the line. After watching a few iterations, I noticed TC's deliberate shoulder movement ... it was my missing piece.

Well I'm glad I was able to assist...although, to be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about in regards to the shoulder movement.

Jason
03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Maybe he means shrug up?

JV_
03-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Well I'm glad I was able to assist...although, to be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about in regards to the shoulder movement.You raise your elbows to get the rear sight level with the front, it makes a very distinct shoulder movement when looking from your 6.

LittleLebowski
03-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I meant to mention Larry's talk on the "wobble zone."

Outstanding instruction.

Also Todd's talk on how much accuracy you really need on differing distanced targets really helped.

vmi-mo
03-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Bailing out of a car, only to get my shoe lace caught on shifter and I face planted into some broken glass and sand. Then all the Rangers laughed at me :confused:.

Challenging an instructor by saying "you couldnt beat me, because you couldnt catch me". I ended up in a rear naked choke.:o

This one is from a competition. Falling off a 1 story building and using my helmeted head to break my fall.

PJ

Rverdi
03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Neat how a lot of these are more after classes or just BS'ing with instructors. I think it really speaks to the quality of an instructor if he just keeps on teaching outside the actual class, because that's who they ARE, not just what they do.

So very true. One of my earliest mentors was a city Lt. who became Academy Rangemaster and he started every firearms instructors class by asking anyone who didn't beg to be in the class to please leave. He was fond of telling new instructors that they had to have it in their heart.

One of my favorite training stories is a BS'ing after class story. I was at a large firearms conference that was lucky enough to have Ken Hackathorn as a presenter. One of the evenings we were up in the hospitality suite which then closed at 11pm. I ended up in the hallway with Ken and two other guys, both of whom were experienced instructors and neither had ever accused of being short on words.
Despite that we leaned against the wall for two or three hours almost completely silent, listening to Ken talk about a variety of training and shooting topics. When we were done I ended up in the elevator with one of the other guys and as soon as the door closed we both said "Was that the coolest fucking thing ever?" at about the same time.
I spent another hour in my room writing down everything I could remember. It was a rare opportunity to get a private lecture from one of the greats, I'll never forget it.

NickA
04-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks JV-This tip was a big help to me during AFHF. I had the same issue; thinking about shoulder movement and a comment by Todd to "hunch" into the pressout smoothed it out.
Also the whole class was a great big AHA! Many learning moments during and after class.

jlw
04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
I was a rookie officer about a year out of the academy. I had made it through the firearms portion shooting an 82 and an 84. 80 was the minimum passing score. A year went by, and I was only seeing minimal improvement.

I went to the Semi-Auto I class at the state training facility. We were shooting a precision pair drill, and I was struggling. The instructor, Sam Conway, came by and said, "You're jerking the trigger." I replied to him that several instructors had previously told me the same thing, but the only advice they could offer was to stop jerking the trigger. Earth shattering advice...

Sam had me aim at the one of my previous hits on target, and he pulled the trigger on my pistol. The result was a strike touching the previous hole. He then had me put my finger on the trigger with his on stop actually doing the trigger pull. We got the same result. He then had me shoot on my own, and I was able to put the shot right on top of the others.

My scores went from low to mid 80's to high 90's in that instant.

markp
04-11-2011, 02:03 PM
..would have to be watching a struggling student finally "get it."

jlw
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM

Now that you mention it, that is hard to beat.

I was teaching a class for rookies. We did a classroom portion with a PowerPoint presentation going over all of the fundamentals of marksmanship and the use of force laws, etc. Then the next day we went to the range One rookie just wasn't getting it, and I was getting frustrated. Finally, I drew a sight picture on a piece of paper and began to explain it all again when the student exclaimed, "Oh!! We are supposed to look through the rear sight at the front sight." She had caught the part about focussing on the front sight and was doing just that but with no sight alignment.

To this day, every time I teach a class I make sure to make sure all of the students get that part of it. :)

Jay Cunningham
04-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Agree. Dinner and drinks with a rock star is cool, but seeing concrete evidence of learning occurring is tough to beat.

Mitchell, Esq.
04-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Kali seminar with Leo Gaje scheduled on his birthday.
Their was cake during the break that day.

It was 5 months after a car accident, and I was hurting, but decided I would die later, because...I mean...It's Leo Gaje!

You miss that class 45 minutes from your house, and man card revoked.

To this day, I shudder when someone says "500!"...because he liked to have drills done in 500 rep sets.

superr.stu
04-12-2011, 05:19 PM
VSM basic pistol class with Joe Barnsfather. I was shooting like ass all day long, towards the end of the day Joe taped our sights up and we shot steel at 25yards. Then he gave us our sights back and we shot for a 1inch square at 5 yards, I shot probably the best group of my life. And was like "WTF was I doing all day, that was easy..."

GooberTim
04-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Walk back drill last summer in LAV's 1911 course against LAV, FAMs, assorted LEOs and competitive shooters and being one of the last 2 standing (the other dude is the 2011 F.A.S.T. Top Student). We had our backs against a berm at 110 yards +/- away from torso sized plate - both of us hit it. Neither of us could repeat SHO nor WHO, so it was called a draw.

Another was shooting a 6.04 clean F.A.S.T. a few weeks back.

Aray
04-18-2011, 04:37 AM
LAV's command ball and dummy

Hackathorn's definitions of "getting there", "good", and "I'd ride the river with you".

After my first FAST run at C.U.S.S.:

Todd: "Ashton, what the f*** happened to you?"

Me: "What do you mean?"

Todd: "You don't suck anymore!"

John Hearne
04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Best moment in a class was shooting a true El Pres clean and second under par while Jeff Cooper stood there watching.

willowofwisp
04-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Best moment so far was this weekend in an MDFI HG class, doing a competition of who can clear a double feed fastest strong hand only and get two rounds on target, I made it past the first round of shooters (roughly 9).

Frank B
04-21-2011, 05:48 AM
There are several moments so far in different courses.

- passing the standards at Paul Howe´s TPI class at the last day
- having some fun with an ex-farrier at the same class
- have a dinner with LAV in Poland
- shooting a walk back drill at 6 inch steel till 70 yards with a rental gun
- dinning with Todd at Chili´s
and some more.

Prdator
04-21-2011, 07:19 AM
Best moment in a class was shooting a true El Pres clean and second under par while Jeff Cooper stood there watching.

This gets my vote for best moment yet!!!!!!!

VolGrad
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
- dinning with Todd at Chili´s
So has everyone here had dinner with Todd @ Chili's. I have. That must be his place. I know he said he does love chips & salsa. :)

NickA
04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Our drive to dinner turned into something more like an E&E exercise. original plan was Chili's (Todd's idea) but an on-the -fly decision landed us at Outback; I do believe that was his first stop after class ended though.
Lessons learned for next TLG class:
- have own directions to range and the nearest Chili's and use them
- get cell # for someone in the lead vehicle, especially if its piloted by an LEO with Todd navigating

Frank B
04-21-2011, 02:56 PM
- have own directions to range and the nearest Chili's and use them

one important thing to add

-always call Chili´s and book a table, otherwise you maybe ends up at Five Guys.

MTechnik
04-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Are the bloomin' onion and beer the common denominators?

VolGrad
04-21-2011, 08:17 PM
one important thing to add

-always call Chili´s and book a table, otherwise you maybe ends up at Five Guys.
Are you freakin' kidding me? I think we ate 5 Guys too. Ate with LAV at the same 5 Guys. I feel special and ordinary all at the same time.

I wonder if Todd writes it in his lesson plan where he will be eating.
5 Guys .... check
Chili's .... check

NickDrak
04-22-2011, 10:23 PM
So has everyone here had dinner with Todd @ Chili's. I have. That must be his place. I know he said he does love chips & salsa. :)

Ha! At Indy last year I would have ate with Todd and the rest of the guys at Chili's but I brought the wife along for the trip and had to take her out to Morton's steakhouse to keep her happy!

And to answer the op's question....

Passing with an "Advanced" at the Indy AFHF class last year.

NGCSUGrad09
04-25-2011, 08:57 AM
I can't remember a single instance that stands out but I've had MANY instances from the likes Dave Harrington, Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers and others that were awe inspiring or Ah-HA! moments.

If I had to select one, it would be the entire first class and the following six months after my first major class... Integrated Weapons for Urban Combat from Super Dave Harrington. He told us in the first half hour.. "Dudes, I'm feeding from a fire hose and you'll be figuring shit out for the next 5-6 months. You'll be driving down the road and suddenly you'll think 'So that's what he was talking about'." Sure enough he was true to his word. I've never had such an eye opening experience as that class and following period of time. Dave's attention to detail AND the overall picture have made some of the largest impacts on my training/shooting.

And for those unaware, he is the human form of the Predator.

Tamara
04-25-2011, 09:41 AM
The most awesome moment at a training class? All those times I didn't set myself on fire. Each and every last one of them. :eek:

markp
04-25-2011, 10:57 AM
what classes are you taking?
Tactical Flame thrower??

NickA
04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
All those times I didn't set myself on fire. Each and every last one of them. :eek:
Note to self: wear nomex if ever training with Tamara:)
Really enjoying all the responses to this so I'll share my newest favorite- AFHF a few weeks ago, final FAST run. First 3 were slow, missed head shots or both. Had one 7.01 (-1 head). I was feeling better about the 3x5 after practice, but tired, down and not expecting much. Timer goes off, I shoot the first 2 and hear somebody say "got 'em", reload, WTF?(rode the slide release) "Rack it!"(I think that was Todd) And blaze out the last 4 (8.06 clean!) 3 shots were actually cutting the line and none were in by more than an inch or so, making it quite dramatic for the spectators. Didn't get a "f@cking awesome!" From Todd but he did say something close. Wasn't as good a time as I wanted but very memorable!

turbolag23
04-26-2011, 07:52 AM
The most awesome moment at a training class? All those times I didn't set myself on fire. Each and every last one of them. :eek:

close quarters with a compensated barrel? that was a highlight from a class i did.

Corey
04-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Biggest light bulb lighting up moment for me was in Todd's AFHF last October in AZ. The drill where we shot with our sights misaligned to see how far out it put the hits. It was such an obvious thing to try that I thought "why haven't I ever heard of doing this before?" I shot smallbore rifle for years and was conditioned that if your sight alignment isn't perfect than you have failed. Suddenly the light came on and I realized what it really meant to just do it good enough to get the hit you need. That one insight was worth the class. I have played around with that drill since then, slow fire on different size targets at different distances, just to learn better how much (or how little) sight alignment is really needed for me to get my hits. It has definitely improved my confidence when shooting fast.

NickA
09-18-2016, 02:12 PM
What the hell, post Pfestivus bump, so people who haven't taken a class can get a look at how fun it is, and those who have can share their experiences. I don't think I've ever started a thread that actually contributed knowledge to the forum but this was a fun one.
For reference, I was such a noob. I took that Farnam class because of scheduling. I was on the edge of taking a class from a certain instructor who is now well known for his stupidity on YouTube, but the timing was wrong. I'm still no great shooter or anything, but I shudder to think of the path I almost took off on.
Best moments since then would have to be some good longer distance shooting at a F2S class, and not quitting after having my ass handed to me at ECQC.

blues
09-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Nick, I haven't had a chance to read the thread (yet) but the title brought to mind an anecdote I've chuckled over many a time over the years.

Back in the late 80's I attended a SWAT school with my SRT team which was conducted by Chris Caracci, (formerly of SEAL Team 6 and Gunsite amongst other credentials), and other SWAT members from the Ft. Lauderdale P.D. and maybe the Broward Sheriff's Office as well.

It was conducted primarily at an old abandoned concrete factory way out in the Everglades (off of Krome Avenue) where we had lots of space as well as all manner of structures to practice within.

One night we did force on force training where we had to do an entry into an industrial structure where the instructors were laying in wait.

Long story short but while clearing the building we were ambushed and during the firefight that ensued Caracci shot me in my left (weak side) forearm but not before I had gotten him center of mass coming down a stairwell.

Afterward he remarked that it was a pretty amazing shot under the circumstances to which I replied that I was from Brooklyn and that was the kind of thing we did every day. :cool: (Inside I was actually beaming for having been singled out for my accomplishment.)

Anyway, as I say, the title of the thread brought that evening immediately to mind. I went on to train with other agencies with our team such as SEALS, GSG-9, SAS as well as other state and local agencies but that was a special moment.

Sadmin
09-18-2016, 03:33 PM
I'll second an ECQC moment. TD2 on my 1v1 against a dude who was seasoned in BJJ and 100+ lbs was real eye opening. All my contingency planning went out the side of that life sucking helmet. Being a first timer with zero technique I tried everything. When I was the aggressor I felt some side pain at one point and walked it off. I got stiff as a board that night and was wincing getting out of that hotel bed for TD3. By the car evo I was 75%, breathing hurt. Turns out I broke 2 ribs after having an xray the next week. I'm just glad I didn't walk since I'm pussified being in a safe town with a hot wife, safe job, beautiful daughters; false inoculation and all that. Best money I've spent on a course and can't wait to do it again next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Exurbankevin
09-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Progress in the fundementals has been slow for me, compared to some of my friends who are a lot more dedicated to dry fire, etc. However, in a Vogel class last year, I had another student tell me that he was using me as his yardstick of what a good result looked liked.

Never had anybody tell me that before, and it was kinda cool.

blues
09-18-2016, 03:48 PM
I'll second an ECQC moment. TD2 on my 1v1 against a dude who was seasoned in BJJ and 100+ lbs was real eye opening. All my contingency planning went out the side of that life sucking helmet. Being a first timer with zero technique I tried everything. When I was the aggressor I felt some side pain at one point and walked it off. I got stiff as a board that night and was wincing getting out of that hotel bed for TD3. By the car evo I was 75%, breathing hurt. Turns out I broke 2 ribs after having an xray the next week. I'm just glad I didn't walk since I'm pussified being in a safe town with a hot wife, safe job, beautiful daughters; false inoculation and all that. Best money I've spent on a course and can't wait to do it again next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back in one of the undercover schools I attended, I don't know if this is normally done or not, but the instructors made us fight every member of the class one by one, one after another. Big or small. Man or woman. You started sitting back to back, the instructor blew a whistle and then it was no holds barred until the whistle blew.

I remember fighting this one huge guy who I was afraid was going to kill me. I ended up getting him in a headlock / semi choke and held him immobile until the whistle blew. The whole time I was apologizing to him while telling him that I was just afraid of what he'd be able to do if I let go. LOL!

Drang
09-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Um... Qualifying at the end of MAG40.

Mitchell, Esq.
09-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Simulation drill, movie theater shooting incident at Sig Academy. It was awesome getting three out of four hits on the shooter in Darkness and a strobe light while sprawled on the floor shooting between folding chairs trying to avoid nailing bystanders.

I can still see those three glowing dots on the night sights of that sim gun...

SeriousStudent
09-18-2016, 05:47 PM
Wayne Dobb's advising me to treat a double-action revolver trigger the same way I would a canoe paddle - straight pull through and release.

That one little tidbit has shrunk my group size in half. That analogy has worked for me better than anything anyone ever taught me.

I spent a lot of time with a canoe paddle growing up, for a kid raised in the desert.

blues
09-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Wayne Dobb's advising me to treat a double-action revolver trigger the same way I would a canoe paddle - straight pull through and release.

That one little tidbit has shrunk my group size in half. That analogy has worked for me better than anything anyone ever taught me.

I spent a lot of time with a canoe paddle growing up, for a kid raised in the desert.

That's a pretty cool analogy. (If you're not doing a "J" stroke. LOL!)

Thanks for sharing that.

Totem Polar
09-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Fun thread!

Cool: taking top of class on both the written and the qual at my first ever "name" class (LFI-1; my dad still has my signed target in his den) with a K-Frame NY-1 wheelgun. Incidentally, the same LFI class where Greg Hamilton got mugged part way through the week (spoiler: Greg was a lot closer on the timeline to being long tabbed than he was to being an elder training statesman, and thus was highly disinclined to take shit from street skels...)

Matt Graham taking a sharpie and making pencil eraser sized dots on the side of the donor car, and asking everyone to back off shoot their dot with their carry load one at a time. Everyone was close, but my 9mm round completely punched out the sharpie dot. Matt's AI and mentor—who I respect enormously—nicknamed me "maestro" for the rest of the class. [/unwarrantedswollenhead]

Aha? Same mentor working with me on grip gave me a tip to stabilize the gun. Combined with a different thumb placement given to me by Matt, the two tips A) messed up my shooting for the afternoon and B) resulted in the kind of hits at distance that I had always wanted to achieve. I literally walked away from the weekend a noticeably better shooter than when I drove out Thursday.

Also, Mike Janich: his drills working FMA from result backwards to sinawali *totally* made that stuff come together in my mind: I arrived a total FMA 'tard (despite some good teachers) and, at least, left with some marginal novice skills.

SeriousStudent
09-18-2016, 08:19 PM
That's a pretty cool analogy. (If you're not doing a "J" stroke. LOL!)

Thanks for sharing that.

Thank Mr Dobbs, not me. I'm the "repeated, demoralizing failure" that Pat Rogers warned all of you about.

As you mentioned, I did have a quick flash to the J stroke when he said it. But since I was shooting a J frame at the time, it was a perfect way to plant it in my brain.

JohnO
09-18-2016, 08:39 PM
I hurt someone's feelings once.

1slow
09-18-2016, 10:07 PM
1st ECQC, just because I could hit and shoot OK would not keep me from getting killed in the gaps. Craig putting me into a wall and shooting my T shirted back 5 times with code eagle. Last ECQC when Craig said I Finally got aggressive enough soon enough.
All of my training with Paul Gomez.

GJM
09-18-2016, 10:12 PM
On Thursday morning at Rogers, having Gabe and Manny Bragg shoot perfect 125 scores on the School test. Followed a year later, by my wife shooting the highest score ever by a woman there, 115/125.

Totem Polar
09-19-2016, 02:40 AM
On Thursday morning at Rogers, having Gabe and Manny Bragg shoot perfect 125 scores on the School test. Followed a year later, by my wife shooting the highest score ever by a woman there, 115/125.

^^^that's excellent. Congrats to your wife!

As well, until they resurrect the big bear lake leather slaps, and someone wins strong hand only while getting Scarlet Johannson's phone number with their support hand at the same time, Gabe probably takes this thread.

Welder
09-19-2016, 07:32 AM
Y'all have seen an done some pretty cool stuff. I've only been to one class, taught by EL, but it was memorable. Got to handle the M9A3 F and G models months and year(s)? respectively before their releases. I got a video of EL showing the details of the work he'd done on the old 92G LTT pistol I brought out. That was extremely cool because I bought it secondhand without receipts and always wondered if it was *really* an LTT gun -- turns out it had all the bells and whistles you could get. The time was capped off when I used that pistol to win the hat on the 10/10/10 drill.