PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Training Opportunities?

rwb03
09-06-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm wondering whether there are any credible handgun training courses in Arizona (greater Phoenix area), and from whom it would be worth seeking training. My guess is that there are credible courses/instructors available in Arizona, however, sometimes it's difficult to "separate the wheat from the chaff". I'd like to hear from the folks on this board, where I should seek out training opportunities in Arizona.

Although, I took a basic pistol course from my range 15 years ago and have had my ccw since 2003, I would like to take things to the "next level" (even if that means starting over again at a basic pistol course to undo all the bad habits I've taught myself over the years). I currently shoot 500 - 700 rounds a month, at a static range. I've been an avid bird hunter for the past 25 years, so I'm not a novice when it comes to gun safety (although a review of gun safety can never hurt). My primary focus is defense related versus competing in the various gun games, unless someone feels those games have tangible benefits when it comes to personal defense.

My goals are:
1. Improve accuracy at speed.
2. Improve my draw from a holster and press out.
3. Improve my reloading & clearing malfunctions under stress / at speed (more advanced gun handling skills, I know).
4. Begin developing skills to gain an upper-hand in a force-on-force situation (situational awareness, handling various situations, etc.).
5. Be able to post some decent DotW scores on this site & attend a FAST class some day (this is a bonus, so I can see some tangible evidence regarding my improvement).

If I should add a reasonable goal or two, I'm game, as long as it makes sense in terms of improving my handgun skills related to defensive purposes. Basically, I want to learn to walk again before I can run. I'd love to take one of Todd's classes someday, but I have some work to do before I get there.

Thanks,
Rob

Pennzoil
09-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Chris L - He only does a few classes a year with small class size(more individual instruction) but it's well worth the wait. He explains the deal in one of his class AARs (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=102254). Definitely worth sending him a PM to see if he has anything planned in the future.

Mike Pannone - It appears he left Grey Group and nothing is listed regarding handguns this year that I can see with the new training company.

Arizona seems to have issues filling classes so you can see a number of cancelled classes from the bigger names that travel to the state. I'm sure we have more quality local instructors in Arizona but these are the only two I've been to that I would recommend.

ToddG
09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
There's also a big shooting school in Arizona somewhere. What was that called again? :cool:

Kimosabi
09-07-2012, 11:33 AM
There's also a big shooting school in Arizona somewhere. What was that called again? :cool:

You can't possibly mean Gunsite Academy (http://www.gunsite.com) :)

ToddG
09-07-2012, 11:42 AM
That's it! I knew someone would have heard of it, at least. Heck, it's possible some of the forum members have even been there! :cool:

(though I personally have not, I'm sorry to say)

Cecil Burch
09-07-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm taking a Pat McNamara pistol/carbine class at the end of the month in North Phoenix. It's through Grey Group.

I second Pennzoil's suggestion for Chris L. He is a great shooter and a terrific coach. A caveat with my opinion is that he is a good friend of mine and a regular shooting partner (just talked to him last night actually and we are shooing together next weekend). But, having said that, my opinion stands. He is a great coach to learn from. Now that the weather is starting to cool off, he should be scheduling a class sometime in the fall. If you go, you will see me and my daughter (and possibly my teenage son) on the line taking the class as well.

And I know there is at least a little talk going on about AFHF possibly sometime in 2013 (keeping my fingers crossed).

helothar
09-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Recently took a level 1 handgun course from Louis Awerbuck who iirc is based out of Arizona. He has an excellent ability to correct shooting problems. In the class we didn't spend too much time on draw stroke but we did do malfunction clearance and he was one to tell you to speed up if he thought you could reliably. I would recommend him

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Pennzoil
09-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Louis Awerbuck didn't offer any classes in Arizona when I checked last time. I wish he did but I think everything is currently outside of AZ.

Pennzoil
09-07-2012, 01:37 PM
And I know there is at least a little talk going on about AFHF possibly sometime in 2013 (keeping my fingers crossed).

Nice, I'm game where do I send the check? Wanted to do AFSF or SOM next but I could difinately use AFHF again for sure.

Cecil Burch
09-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Nice, I'm game where do I send the check? Wanted to do AFSF or SOM next but I could difinately use AFHF again for sure.

It's wayyyy too early for that. I just know the guy who is trying to host (he trains with me). Still a bunch of things to work out. That's why I still have my fingers crossed.

rwb03
09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
I appreciate the recommendations. Someday I'd love to take a course or two at Gunsite, if I can convince my wife to let me take off to Prescott for five days without her. In the mean time, I'll have to look at something closer to home. I read the AAR for ChrisL's class. It sounds like this may be a great opportunity for me. Given he does not have a website, does someone have his contact information, so I can place my name on his e-mail list? Thanks in advance.

Cecil Burch
09-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Chris is on the forum. You can probably pm him. His screen name is all one word - ChrisLapre

He doesn't get online a lot, but he should answer back relatively quickly, unless his day job gets in the way.

ChrisLapre
09-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Hey,

I'll be happy to help however I can. Send me an email at azvsmethod@gmail.com. Like the guys mentioned, it may take a day or two to get back with you, unless you're Cecil than its usually weeks, but I will get back with you.

Chris

I appreciate the recommendations. Someday I'd love to take a course or two at Gunsite, if I can convince my wife to let me take off to Prescott for five days without her. In the mean time, I'll have to look at something closer to home. I read the AAR for ChrisL's class. It sounds like this may be a great opportunity for me. Given he does not have a website, does someone have his contact information, so I can place my name on his e-mail list? Thanks in advance.

Cecil Burch
09-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Hey,
. Like the guys mentioned, it may take a day or two to get back with you, unless you're Cecil than its usually weeks, but I will get back with you.

Chris

That's true :) To his friends, he's an ass........ LOL