PDA

View Full Version : 360 awareness while pumping gas

JodyH
09-06-2012, 05:25 PM
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/19475338/police-seek-3-suspects-in-violent-gas-pump-robbery

Distraction followed by a sneak attack at the gas pumps.

Corlissimo
09-06-2012, 06:01 PM
How brazen can you be? Walk into the store, get caught on tape. Absolutely minimal awareness on the victim's part for sure. Hope the vic is okay. He didn't appear too badly hurt as he came back out of the car and looked like he was checking for damage to his ride.

This is exactly why I am always "fidgety", as my wife puts it, when I'm in similar situations. I'm always moving around, turning my body to scan all around. And that's in broad daylight. At night, in some areas I "get stuck" going to, I usually even have my strong hand thumb under my shirt and hooked over the grip while scanning. Just seems the prudent thing to do in those places.

JodyH
09-06-2012, 06:15 PM
This is why I always have a j-frame in the car when I'm travelling.
If I'm out pumping gas (especially after dark) the j-frame is in my hand.
In the summer it's hidden in my cargo shorts pocket, in the winter it's hidden in my hoody handwarmer pocket.

bcauz3y
09-06-2012, 06:21 PM
There are actually a few things you can do while you are pumping gas to minimize your attack surface.

For one, leave your driver door open, and position the car so that the driver door closes off the front avenue to the space between the car and the pump.

Hell, in this case, situational awareness would have been enough, given that they fanned out, and surrounded him.

Perfect case for lethal force based on disparity of force, or had he noticed early enough, he could have left the scene.

Ed L
09-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Gas stations seem to be grazing area for criminals and panhandlers and criminals pretending to be panhandlers. They have access to potential victims and those victims are often pre-occupied.

This happened after midnight in a gas station in a bad neighborhood. Crimes in gas stations happen at all times, but at the very least one should try to avoid going to the gas station at night in bad neighborhoods.

Kyle Reese
09-06-2012, 09:21 PM
This is why it is best to fuel up during daylight hours (if possible) and keep your head on a swivel.

EMC
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
This is why it best to fuel up during daylight hours (if possible) and keep your head on a swivel.

Great point. It goes along with the other preparedness habit of filling up when you reach half tank. That way you can have flexibility in when you fill up (and where) instead of being forced to fill up somewhere unplanned when the fuel light comes on.

TCinVA
09-07-2012, 07:02 AM
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/19475338/police-seek-3-suspects-in-violent-gas-pump-robbery

Distraction followed by a sneak attack at the gas pumps.

During the storm a couple of months back I was fueling up and two guys pulled up in a truck from West Virginia and I was sufficiently distracted that they could have run a similar game on me. It wasn't until the second guy suddenly ended up out of my line of sight that my "Oh ***CENSORED***" meter went off and I started to correct it.

I've been more careful since.

JodyH
09-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Notice there was no planning or discussion prior to the attack.
These two have done this before.

NETim
09-07-2012, 07:35 AM
There are actually a few things you can do while you are pumping gas to minimize your attack surface.

For one, leave your driver door open, and position the car so that the driver door closes off the front avenue to the space between the car and the pump.

Hell, in this case, situational awareness would have been enough, given that they fanned out, and surrounded him.

Perfect case for lethal force based on disparity of force, or had he noticed early enough, he could have left the scene.

I dunno about the car door thing. An open door may slow down an attack from that direction, but I can sure see it making for a good corral should it come from the other direction.

NETim
09-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Great point. It goes along with the other preparedness habit of filling up when you reach half tank. That way you can have flexibility in when you fill up (and where) instead of being forced to fill up somewhere unplanned when the fuel light comes on.

+1 Flexibility is a good thing.

LOKNLOD
09-07-2012, 09:30 AM
I dunno about the car door thing. An open door may slow down an attack from that direction, but I can sure see it making for a good corral should it come from the other direction.

I tend against the door thing as well. Since it swings toward you to close, it's kind of like a swing-check valve in your potential movement. Stuff can come at you from that direction by slipping past the door, but you can't go back against it smoothly. It mostly provides a visual barrier but other than possibly obscuring a preemptive draw, you need the visual freedom more than they do (you're the duck, not in the duck blind).

The one big advantage I do see to the door open is it provides a line to cross. A guy genuinely asking for directions or a jump might approach the door, anyone that starts crowding through the door is trying too hard to close distance.

NETim
09-07-2012, 11:13 AM
I tend against the door thing as well. Since it swings toward you to close, it's kind of like a swing-check valve in your potential movement. Stuff can come at you from that direction by slipping past the door, but you can't go back against it smoothly. It mostly provides a visual barrier but other than possibly obscuring a preemptive draw, you need the visual freedom more than they do (you're the duck, not in the duck blind).

The one big advantage I do see to the door open is it provides a line to cross. A guy genuinely asking for directions or a jump might approach the door, anyone that starts crowding through the door is trying too hard to close distance.

If I were positioned "upstream", i.e., forward of the hinges, okay, then it works for me. I would be much more willing to use it as a barrier of sorts in that instance. I could still back up through the door if desired. But few vehicles have the fueling port forward of the doors. (My Dad's '60 Beetle did.) :)

ToddG
09-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Panhandlers at gas stations have become a common sight in our area recently. They range everywhere from the stereotypical homeless EDP to thug wannabes to lazy high school kids who expect me to pay for their Mountain Dew. I've actually started specifically going to certain stations where it's a particularly common thing because -- don't laugh -- it gives me a regular opportunity to practice my MUC skills. So far the only guy who has needed anything beyond a polite "no, thank you" was actually not a panhandler... it was a dude who'd set up a sales tent and was hocking some kind of super car cleaning liquid. After being told I wasn't interested he tried to apply the stuff to my car anyway. Loud voice followed.

Thanks to Jody for posting the vid, though, because I was able to show it to MrsG and reiterate why she's supposed to keep her gas tank at least half full and never get fuel after dark.

Chuck Haggard
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
While fueling the gas pump itself is a pretty good weapon. Not a lot of people can take a spray of gasoline right in the face and walk it off.

Just a thought to consider.

When going for gas after dark I tend to pull around the block at least once and circle the lot before deciding to get gas, and to get a look at who is hanging out at the sides and rear of the building if possible.

orionz06
09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks to Jody for posting the vid, though, because I was able to show it to MrsG and reiterate why she's supposed to keep her gas tank at least half full and never get fuel after dark.

You know... Wait until she figures out that if she needs gas after dark that she won't have to go get it, ever.

MDS
09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
it gives me a regular opportunity to practice my MUC skills

Glad I'm not the only one who does this. It also turns out that the cheapest gas is always at the sketchiest stations, so that's a bonus. :cool:

(ETA: if it's after dark, I'll go to the rich neighborhood station with the open views and good lighting and pay the extra $.25/gallon...)

fixer
09-08-2012, 09:18 AM
My wife and I got into the whole two-man hustling team in El Paso recently. Already being on guard in El Paso helped a bit. But after one guy gave me attitude for not spotting him some cash (one guy waiting literally in the shadows) my attention was stung by what was going on. Luckily some stern looks and a hasty exit was all that was needed.

JFK
09-08-2012, 11:09 AM
This just happened to me but in the middle of the day, in a decent part of town but with a much better outcome. At first I thought I was being paranoid but better to be safe then sorry. After reading this and telling people about my experience and hearing that this kind of thing is on the rise I feel better about my actions. It transpired as so:

Fueling up at the rear of the station the attendant building blocking view from the street. Behind me is a residential fence and a carwash with no access. In front of me is a second street exit. From the street exit a typical Albuquerque young pan handler heads my way. About 10 paces out he asks for money. I decline. Out of my peripheral I notice someone approaching from behind me where the carwash is, mind you where the is no access. The pan handler is still moving in my direction and I get the feeling I am being boxed in between the pump and my car with this guy in front of me and possible a guy behind me.

I reacted by moving to the front of my vehicle quickly where I had escape routs and could see both people without too much head turning. This sudden movement, freeing up of my hands and a reiteration to the pan handler in a not so subtle tone "I can't help you!" He did stop his advance and moved on to others. The gentleman who came from behind continued walking right past and into the store.

At the moment I felt like they assumed I was an easy target and they were working as a team. The simple act of being aware and presenting the posture that I was ready to defend or put up a fight the situation deescalated.

After I felt a little like a paranoid fool because foot trafic there is high, the pan handling is common and it was the middle of the day. The posting of this story and hearing how common this is makes me think my intuition was correct. Really what did it cost to be aware and cautious? Three steps to improve my position. Making a guy think I was a jerk that I will never see again and has no baring on my life. Seems like a fair cost for not having to use my fists, feet or worse gun.

These are crimes of opportunity. I think if you limit the opportunity you can limit the crime.

fuse
09-08-2012, 07:43 PM
While fueling the gas pump itself is a pretty good weapon. Not a lot of people can take a spray of gasoline right in the face and walk it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=kIfOjkB17BA

Nik the Greek
09-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Panhandlers at gas stations have become a common sight in our area recently. They range everywhere from the stereotypical homeless EDP to thug wannabes to lazy high school kids who expect me to pay for their Mountain Dew. I've actually started specifically going to certain stations where it's a particularly common thing because -- don't laugh -- it gives me a regular opportunity to practice my MUC skills. So far the only guy who has needed anything beyond a polite "no, thank you" was actually not a panhandler... it was a dude who'd set up a sales tent and was hocking some kind of super car cleaning liquid. After being told I wasn't interested he tried to apply the stuff to my car anyway. Loud voice followed.

MUC? What's the acronym?

MEH
09-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Managing Unknown Contacts - Google that plus SouthNarc.

bcauz3y
09-09-2012, 04:28 PM

It wouldn't be of much use as a solitary tactic. You would have to combine it with situational awareness for sure. If someone is at the rear bumper of your car before you realized it, then you are way behind the curve.

Another added benefit of leaving the drive door open is your ability to get in it and drive away, or access whatever tools you have in your car. There was a similar situation at a gas pump some years ago, two on one, at night, and he manage to get to his pistol in the driver door pocket and plug one of them.

You do bring up a valid drawback in the theory though.

NETim
09-10-2012, 07:13 AM
It wouldn't be of much use as a solitary tactic. You would have to combine it with situational awareness for sure. If someone is at the rear bumper of your car before you realized it, then you are way behind the curve.

Another added benefit of leaving the drive door open is your ability to get in it and drive away, or access whatever tools you have in your car. There was a similar situation at a gas pump some years ago, two on one, at night, and he manage to get to his pistol in the driver door pocket and plug one of them.

You do bring up a valid drawback in the theory though.

Surprisingly enough (ahem), it appears to boil down once again to that situational awareness thing. :)

ACP230
09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I have occasionally had to gas up late at night in bigger towns.

It always seems that, although the station was quiet when I drove in, it got busy as soon as I got out of the car and started gassing up.
Not just other cars either, random walkers showing up out of nowhere. Never had a problem yet, but maybe my scanning and cranky demeanor
prevented one.

Now I try to go into cities with the tank above three quarters and fill again, in daylight, as soon as it gets to half. Then I try and get out of town ASAP.
I prefer places where trees outnumber people by a significant margin.

Clusterfrack
03-03-2021, 11:29 AM
(I couldn't find a better thread for this uneventful but possibly interesting MUC story, so let's resurrect this one). Last night my martial arts group was training outdoors on a school field, in low light. There has been increased criminal activity in the area, including a homeless camp where people attacked firefighters, three major burglaries, vandalism, and assault of a gas station worker. Because of that, we always pay attention. Around 9pm a fit, grungy looking dude in his 20's approached carrying jumper cables and asked if any of us had a car. Just as I was about to tell him we were busy, the instructor volunteered to help. The three of us went to the guy's vehicle. I had time to grab a flashlight and put my CCW on.

The dude's car was parked in a weird place, next to a large dumpster behind a grocery in a location mostly hidden from view. He was acting very nervous and kept fishing around in his pocket. While our third guy (6'4" 240lb active military) positioned his vehicle to provide light, I looked for any other individuals and couldn't see any. The instructor jumped the dude's car, and I was well positioned with my handheld light. I tried some friendly conversation with the dude, but he didn't seem like he wanted to talk. The whole situation seemed like a robbery waiting to happen. But nothing did. The car started, the dude got in his car with a mumbled thanks, and started talking on his phone. We left and got back to training.

Afterward, I realized why the dude was so shifty: he was terrified of us--three guys hitting and grappling each other in the dark, and one of them a monster.

GJM
03-03-2021, 11:34 AM
I just leave my wife in an Overwatch position.

Totem Polar
03-03-2021, 12:03 PM
Afterward, I realized why the dude was so shifty: he was terrified of us--three guys hitting and grappling each other in the dark, and one of them a monster.

There is a point that one can arrive at where the gentle prey become more dangerous than the predators. Lifetime gentle folk, long being used to staying alert and on the defensive, may not always recognized when that point arrives.

snow white
03-03-2021, 12:16 PM
Its stuff like this that makes me really appreciate where I live. Not that it can't happen anywhere but things like that are just about unheard of in my area. Then again....Travel 40 minutes south and its a different story.

RJ
03-03-2021, 04:23 PM
I think it was this gas-station scenario that caused me to realize how useful a small snubby in the pocket is. It's another on the long list of situations that I discovered I needed a snubby for, after I bought one. They are just so dang convenient to throw in a pocket, "just getting gas", or walking the dog, or going to the gym, or working on the car outside your house/apartment.

On topic: can't agree more on the comments above about gas stations being predator watering holes. My radar kicks into high gear when I have to fuel up at a strange place on the road. I am constantly on the lookout for people, standing on the edge of the building, not doing anything in particular, but surveying the customers. Generally everybody who stops at these places is in motion; getting fuel, or going to and from the shop to pay, or to the restroom. So anyone who's at rest catches my attention.

One of my abiding memories of John Murphy's session at Tac Con in 2016 was his statement "unexpected movement towards you is one of the most common preassault indicators." I have research a bit of Craig's MUC class online, but I am sure just reading about it can't give you the experience of having the problem in front of you at training, or in real life, of course. Another reason I need to take ECQC. Soon.

Regarding "it's not likely to happen in my area" I totally get that. For the folks who carry "only in the bad part of town" (no one on this forum) I ask them, what do you do about the two dudes who just took the off-ramp from the freeway cruising down your street. As Tom Givens explained it in class, they just need your car, and you need to be dead. It's nothing personal. The story of the Petit murders is also a sobering read, if you are not familiar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

fatdog
03-03-2021, 04:50 PM
how useful a small snubby in the pocket is.

I can get a firing grip on it while it is still in there, summer or winter, and nobody around me is the wiser.

I cannot get a firing grip on the Glock in my JMCK IWB belt holster under whatever concealment I am wearing without telegraphing a whole lot to the world. Some years ago Mas taught me that, and helped me understand the advantage it offers, both in stealth and the advantage having that firing grip has on the actual speed of response if it has to come into play.

snow white
03-03-2021, 05:25 PM
Regarding "it's not likely to happen in my area" I totally get that. For the folks who carry "only in the bad part of town" (no one on this forum) I ask them, what do you do about the two dudes who just took the off-ramp from the freeway cruising down your street. As Tom Givens explained it in class, they just need your car, and you need to be dead. It's nothing personal. The story of the Petit murders is also a sobering read, if you are not familiar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_Connecticut,_home_invasion_murders

I've gotten the ol "what do you need a gun around here for?" Multiple times. I can't wrap my mind around how people don't realize that other people move around in the world just like they do. For instance there was an incident last year in Bow, NH(one of the wealthiest communities in nh) where a home owner came home to find three people in his house robbing the place. They kicked the shit out of him and ran off. Turns out these guys were from Massachusetts. They had driven to bow week or so earlier to scout out some homes and just so happened to choose his. They lived over an hour away in another state...I personally know sombody who lives waaay the fuck up in Northern NH. He had his snowmobile stolen from his barn because he had a company from Massachusetts come and do some work on his property. Within a week his barn had been broken into and I believe two of his expensive snowmobiles were loaded into a trailer and taken. It was a solid 5 hour drive for these guys to come and do what they did.

farscott
03-03-2021, 05:56 PM
As someone who travels a lot at night, I frequently fill up at night. My usual practices:

1) Cruise the lot when first arriving. Look like I am searching for an open pump while keeping an eye on what is happening. If the area is not well lit and/or looks unsafe, leave. I tend to favor well-frequented truck stops or larger chains with fair amounts of traffic. Lots of people loitering is a sign to keep moving.

2) Park my vehicle at the pump so I can leave by driving forward. Park with the vehicle close to the pump.

3). When I exit the vehicle, I close and lock the doors. That avoids someone doing a snatch and grab. I also do not have stuff visible in the passenger compartment. My phone is in my pocket (not in my hand), the charging cable hidden in the center console, and any luggage/briefcase is hidden. No visible loose change anywhere (my wife is bad about dumping change into the cupholders).

4) Keep my head on a swivel while fueling. A J-frame, as noted, is ideal for this. I have also used a Seecamp LWS-32 for this. Do not act like a victim and most predators will stay away. The ones that do lock ON are trouble as they are willing to go against someone who is not a sheep. Only happened to me once and it ended with no issue.

5). When finished fueling, get back in the vehicle and lock the doors. If I need to use the restroom, I drive the car to a parking area closer to the building, exit, and lock it. Do not leave the vehicle unattended at the pump.

Hambo
03-03-2021, 06:13 PM

Maybe because he's a really nice guy who parks by out of the way dumpsters. Or maybe he needed his next hit of whatever real bad, and his plan to separate one of you and score cash didn't pan out. Nobody else popped out while three of you were there, but that doesn't mean he didn't have an amigo nearby.

Caballoflaco
03-03-2021, 06:20 PM
5). When finished fueling, get back in the vehicle and lock the doors. If I need to use the restroom, I drive the car to a parking area closer to the building, exit, and lock it. Do not leave the vehicle unattended at the pump.

People should do this anyways, especially if they’re blocking one of the two diesel pumps.... damned heathens.

Lester Polfus
03-03-2021, 07:11 PM
I can get a firing grip on it while it is still in there, summer or winter, and nobody around me is the wiser.

I cannot get a firing grip on the Glock in my JMCK IWB belt holster under whatever concealment I am wearing without telegraphing a whole lot to the world. Some years ago Mas taught me that, and helped me understand the advantage it offers, both in stealth and the advantage having that firing grip has on the actual speed of response if it has to come into play.

This is one of the many reasons why I frequently pocket carry a J-frame.

I have on one occasion done a surreptitious draw to the "behind the thigh low ready" in a dark parking lot and no one was the wiser. My affect was enough to keep anyone from dying that night, but I bet that 638 would have been a big surprise.

wvincent
03-03-2021, 09:05 PM
(I couldn't find a better thread for this uneventful but possibly interesting MUC story, so let's resurrect this one). Last night my martial arts group was training outdoors on a school field, in low light. There has been increased criminal activity in the area, including a homeless camp where people attacked firefighters, three major burglaries, vandalism, and assault of a gas station worker. Because of that, we always pay attention. Around 9pm a fit, grungy looking dude in his 20's approached carrying jumper cables and asked if any of us had a car. Just as I was about to tell him we were busy, the instructor volunteered to help. The three of us went to the guy's vehicle. I had time to grab a flashlight and put my CCW on.

The dude's car was parked in a weird place, next to a large dumpster behind a grocery in a location mostly hidden from view. He was acting very nervous and kept fishing around in his pocket. While our third guy (6'4" 240lb active military) positioned his vehicle to provide light, I looked for any other individuals and couldn't see any. The instructor jumped the dude's car, and I was well positioned with my handheld light. I tried some friendly conversation with the dude, but he didn't seem like he wanted to talk. The whole situation seemed like a robbery waiting to happen. But nothing did. The car started, the dude got in his car with a mumbled thanks, and started talking on his phone. We left and got back to training.

Maybe he wanted to show you what he was willing to do for a Klondike Bar?
If this was going to be a robbery, his victim selection skills suck.
Bunch of folks rolling around trying to fold each other into different shapes? Dude, I'm not even a robber and that trips my "oh, fuck no!!" switch.

blues
03-03-2021, 09:10 PM
Bunch of folks rolling around trying to fold each other into different shapes? Dude, I'm not even a robber and that trips my "oh, fuck no!!" switch.

Maybe they looked tired...

wvincent
03-03-2021, 09:15 PM
Maybe they looked tired...

Still "fuck no".
It reminds me of the MENSA candidates who select Bolke for their wounded baby gazelle. Really? whelp, good luck!!
Kind of like me uttering, if I can just get that Southnarc dude to the ground, I'll have a real chance.:rolleyes:

blues
03-03-2021, 09:18 PM
Still "fuck no".
It reminds me of the MENSA candidates who select Bolke for their wounded baby gazelle. Really? whelp, good luck!!
Kind of like me uttering, if I can just get that Southnarc dude to the ground, I'll have a real chance.:rolleyes:

Sometimes you just gotta know your limitations...

I arrested a huge, (like defensive end huge), guy one time down in Miami, and threw him the cuffs to put on himself. He asked me what he was supposed to do with them and I told him to put them on, he was too big for me to fight and I didn't want to have to shoot him.

He laughed and we got along fine...after he put the cuffs on and I got him in the vehicle.

wvincent
03-03-2021, 09:25 PM
Sometimes you just gotta know your limitations...

I arrested a huge, (like defensive end huge), guy one time down in Miami, and threw him the cuffs to put on himself. He asked me what he was supposed to do with them and I told him to put them on, he was too big for me to fight and I didn't want to have to shoot him.

He laughed and we got along fine...after he put the cuffs on and I got him in the vehicle.

I'm going to score you an 9.5 for style,
and and 11 for honesty. At least you didn't have some bullshit story about how you rolled him up with a cig hanging out of your mouth and a cup of coffee in your left hand.

Back to the point, I ain't going out to the dumpster in the dark for auto repair with anyone. Nope, I ain't AAA.

Clusterfrack
03-03-2021, 09:39 PM

I know, right? But the head instructor only comes on Thursdays, so he'll have the chance to make a truly life altering decision tomorrow night.

Last year when we were able to fight indoors, an 'unhomed' individual came into the dojo and tried to steal some logo sweatshirts. This did not end with him leaving with the sweatshirts. Who steals from a dojo where you can see people beating the shit out of each other? Evidently people do...

Clusterfrack
03-03-2021, 10:15 PM
...caused me to realize how useful a small snubby in the pocket is.

I actually thought about that last night, and found myself wishing I had my LCR 9 instead of a G26 AIWB. Light in left hand and snubby in pocket, held in right hand would have been my choice.

JAD
03-03-2021, 10:23 PM
I actually thought about that last night, and found myself wishing I had my LCR 9 instead of a G26 AIWB. Light in left hand and snubby in pocket, held in right hand would have been my choice.

¿Por que no los dos?

Clusterfrack
03-03-2021, 10:26 PM
¿Por que no los dos?

Lo suficientemente duro como para poner una pistola rápidamente*...

*Hard enough to quickly put on one gun let alone two

blues
03-03-2021, 10:45 PM
Lo suficientemente duro como para poner una pistola rápidamente*...

*Hard enough to quickly put on one gun let alone two

dificil no duro

(duro is the other kind of hard, like a rock, as I recall, and I think "llevar" instead of poner)

Clusterfrack
03-03-2021, 10:48 PM
dificil no duro

(duro is the other kind of hard, like a rock, as I recall, and I think "llevar" instead of poner)

hijo de puta, no corrijas mi español

blues
03-03-2021, 10:54 PM
hijo de puta, no corrijas mi español

cálmate, carnal. :p

Clusterfrack
03-03-2021, 10:56 PM
cálmate, carnal. :p

está bien hermano

Bergeron
03-03-2021, 11:28 PM
The second-closest I've come to physically needing to defend myself was at gas stations, and as is typical, it was seeing from a long ways away that gave me the advantage.

In general, if someone wants to try a sob story, I make sure that: a) yeah, wow, I'm realllly sorrry to hear about how much your life sucks in these particular ways; and b) this is exactly the sort of thing that cops want to help out when they happen, can I make that call for you?. No takers, in 20 years...

That second-closest event though, I was so damn angry watching this shambolic sample of humanity try to make my way that I gave him the ol' knife hands and yelling as soon as he was close enough for my yelling to feel unpleasant. Fuck that guy, though, trouble has look, and I've never had the time...

Joe in PNG
03-03-2021, 11:35 PM
Likewise- I've gotten panhandled a few times over the years while pumping gas, and last time had to yell at a guy to get back (he did).

Hambo
03-04-2021, 06:04 AM
Who steals from a dojo where you can see people beating the shit out of each other? Evidently people do...

A lot is said about predators and their victim selection, but there are a lot of stoned/stupid criminals who just look for opportunities without forethought about the probability of success.

Clusterfrack
03-04-2021, 11:09 AM
A lot is said about predators and their victim selection, but there are a lot of stoned/stupid criminals who just look for opportunities without forethought about the probability of success.

That's an important principle to keep in mind. When my dad was teaching me to drive, I remember him telling me to plan for other drivers to do the stupidest thing possible. That has probably saved my life many times.

Lester Polfus
03-04-2021, 12:02 PM
That's an important principle to keep in mind. When my dad was teaching me to drive, I remember him telling me to plan for other drivers to do the stupidest thing possible. That has probably saved my life many times.

There was a Neil Stephenson book where certain criminals were required to get "Poor Impulse Control" tattoos on their foreheads.

One cognitive difficulty that muggles have when they are dealing with criminals is that people can become deadly violent over incredibly stupid things.

farscott
03-06-2021, 10:38 AM
There was a Neil Stephenson book where certain criminals were required to get "Poor Impulse Control" tattoos on their foreheads.

One cognitive difficulty that muggles have when they are dealing with criminals is that people can become deadly violent over incredibly stupid things.

Wish I could like this more than once. One of the things I struggle with is that there is a culture that mandates violence in response to perceived disrespect. I know it intellectually, but it is so alien to me that a simple misunderstanding can turn into a fight with essentially no perceived escalation. Almost got me in trouble on a few occasions.

JohnO
03-06-2021, 10:56 AM
December 2020 CT filling station camera footage. Action starts at 0:38.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LG4vVRGYGCwZcZRbV-JyPPRgR4AUer16/view

fatdog
03-07-2021, 08:45 AM
filling station camera footage

I have no idea when and where and I don't have the link, but I remember a similar incident where the lady was very quick thinking, took the gas spigot in her hand and turned it on her assailant letting him have it full blast in the face. He departed immediately.

GyroF-16
03-07-2021, 09:12 AM
I have no idea when and where and I don't have the link, but I remember a similar incident where the lady was very quick thinking, took the gas spigot in her hand and turned it on her assailant letting him have it full blast in the face. He departed immediately.

That would have been a nice move in this case - even while he was in the car (well, Volvo SUV).

Duelist
03-07-2021, 09:28 AM

Exactly what my dad told me and I told both of my kids.

olstyn
03-07-2021, 10:47 AM

Snow Crash. Raven was an "interesting" character, yeah. :)

Jason M
03-07-2021, 11:39 AM

Truth! A crackhead initiated a mugging while I was wearing a t-shirt with “Revgear Kickboxing” in big block letters across the front. I guess he missed the RIF program of yesteryear.

Guerrero
03-07-2021, 12:04 PM
https://youtu.be/5vO3bV3zcdk