PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 in ar opinions

digiadaamore
09-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Ok guys so im going to pick up an sbr soon for home defense and general emergency use as well as fun. Ive been mainly looking a 10.5 in barrel models, but the few 7.5 in models are interesting. However almost everyone, including myself, thinks they are just too detrimental to performance too be worth the super compact size. Does anyone have any positive opinions of the 7.5 in ar? Given the use for the gun would be close up for the most part, how big a ballistic price do you pay?

orionz06
09-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Every single AR pistol I have ever seen, made from Colt parts or made from scrap metal has had issue after issue after issue. 10.3" guns work and work well but really 11.5" is ideal. I don't know that it is worth the risk to go any shorter and having used both a 7" upper and an 11.5" upper in a shoot house I am not sure the gain from 11.5" to 7" is worth as much as the gain from 16" to 11.5".

Now switching over to 300 Blogout it seems that initial reports are they work quite well being super short, adn supposedly do not have the ballistic neutering. Zero experiences there so all I can do is pass along an idea.

Zhurdan
09-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I've got both a 5.56 10.5" Noveske and a 300BLK 8" Noveske. Movement benefits are negligible between the two to be honest. I've also heard that 7.5" neuters the heck outta 5.56.

As far as ballistics, I'd have to defer to the experts, but from what I've read, 300BLK wins with shorter barrels over 5.56.

Also keep in mind, that the 300BLK in an 8" is teeeeeeth rumbling loud outside. I wouldn't want to think what it would be like indoors.

digiadaamore
09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys, all i care about is if it was a legit improvement in manuverability in 7.5, if not its really stupid platform if you ask me.

Odin Bravo One
09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks guys, all i care about is if it was a legit improvement in manuverability in 7.5, if not its really stupid platform if you ask me.

Yeah, pretty much.

And there is no huge improvement in maneuverability. I guess maybe if you were clearing a multi-room outhouse, there would be a benefit.

digiadaamore
09-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I've got both a 5.56 10.5" Noveske and a 300BLK 8" Noveske. Movement benefits are negligible between the two to be honest. I've also heard that 7.5" neuters the heck outta 5.56.

As far as ballistics, I'd have to defer to the experts, but from what I've read, 300BLK wins with shorter barrels over 5.56.

Also keep in mind, that the 300BLK in an 8" is teeeeeeth rumbling loud outside. I wouldn't want to think what it would be like indoors.

how's the noveske? its definitely more than i want to spend but they are supposed to be the best. if you dont mind what has been good ammo for the barrel length?

Zhurdan
09-06-2012, 08:26 PM
how's the noveske? its definitely more than i want to spend but they are supposed to be the best. if you dont mind what has been good ammo for the barrel length?

I've had nothing but awesome results with Noveske's. Won't buy anything else now.

115's are the only thing readily available other than 220 subsonics. So I shoot that the most. I've been saving brass and making some out of 5.56 brass while hoarding the Barnes Black Tip stuff. I've got 400 bullets to load at this point, but I want to hold off until I get 1k to start reloading.

The 115's are pretty sweet. There is a learning curve vs. 5.56 but it didn't take more than a few range sessions. Not that much more recoil. I ran the 1-5 drill with the 115's in 4.19 a couple of weeks ago. and my best with 5.56 has been 3.96 if I remember correctly. So, indication is, recoil is not that much of a factor when switching.

I can't wait to try out the Black tip ammo from Barnes as it is supposed to be the cats rear end for this round. I'll have to wait and see.

Best of luck, regardless of what you go with.

roadsiderob
09-06-2012, 11:44 PM
I've got a 7.5" AR15 with Noveske barrel. With the addition of the Flaming Pig brake, it's length increases several inches. If I had to do it again, I'd go with an 11.5"bbl. Also, most suppressor Mfgrs won't warranty their suppressors on anything less than 10".

Chuck Haggard
09-07-2012, 12:51 AM
In 5.56? You get a lot of blast, and the wound ballistics of a .22mag

The stupidest gun I ever had to share a range with was a 7.5" DPMS "Kitty Cat".

Go below 11.5" barrel and you start to court functioning issues as well.

ChrisLapre
09-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Ok guys so im going to pick up an sbr soon for home defense and general emergency use as well as fun. Ive been mainly looking a 10.5 in barrel models, but the few 7.5 in models are interesting. However almost everyone, including myself, thinks they are just too detrimental to performance too be worth the super compact size. Does anyone have any positive opinions of the 7.5 in ar? Given the use for the gun would be close up for the most part, how big a ballistic price do you pay?

I have a PWS 7.5 Diablo that I can't make malfunction. The gun is scary reliable and will shoot anything I put through it. The Diablo does have a Polygonal barrel which increases velocity a bit, but not enought to recommend unless there is a specific purpose for the weapon system. A test was conducted with several differnt barrel lenghts and ammo for penetration and fragementation. What we discovered was that the 7.5 barrels seemed to allow for greater penetration and less fragmentation regardless of ammo type. While the gun is great to shoot and has gone 14k rounds with only being wiped down once, it has ungodly muzzle blast.

I used it primarily for vehicle operations so it fit the bill for my role at the time. I am currently back to a Colt Commando and have no issues with the 11.5 barrel for almost anything I have used it for so far. Again, depending on the mission profile, I would stick with a 10.5 (MK18) or longer. Especially if it is to be used as a general purpose carbine.

Hope this helps

Chris

digiadaamore
09-07-2012, 10:49 AM
thanks for answers guys, you dont have to convince me about the performance trust me as i said in my first post i was already very leery of the 7.5 5.56.:cool: