PDA

View Full Version : My cousin’s aerial coyote hunting setup

LittleLebowski
05-13-2022, 09:12 AM
So. Jealous.

Benelli Super Black Eagle (https://www.brownells.com/firearms/shotguns/semi-auto/super-black-eagle-ii-left-hand-28in-12-gauge-max-5-camo-4-1rd-prod88674.aspx). We have the II and the III. Main difference is III has bigger trigger guard and bolt, so easier to operate with gloves. Has to be left hand eject and has to be inertia driven and extension helps too! Gas driven ones foul after about two shots with wind blowing up barrel and has to be left hand eject, so that the empties go out of plane and not bouncing off the side of my head :D 4 buck is best when we can get it. But 3 inch double aught works pretty good too

LittleLebowski
05-13-2022, 09:20 AM
GJM.

Erick Gelhaus
05-13-2022, 10:09 AM
In the last Gunsite shotgun class I taught, this March, I had a pilot who flies, on gov't contracts, paid depredators. Using a fixed-wing, like the one shown, the shooter is working out of a door/opening on the left rear and using a left hand eject Benelli semi-auto.

He described the process in detail & then completely crushed my spirit by letting me know he could not take me up on a flight for that. Damnit.

Yeah, I think I'd enjoy that.

Dare I ask what part of the country your cousin flies?

LittleLebowski
05-13-2022, 10:21 AM
In the last Gunsite shotgun class I taught, this March, I had a pilot who flies, on gov't contracts, paid depredators. Using a fixed-wing, like the one shown, the shooter is working out of a door/opening on the left rear and using a left hand eject Benelli semi-auto.

He described the process in detail & then completely crushed my spirit by letting me know he could not take me up on a flight for that. Damnit.

Dare I ask what part of the country your cousin flies?

North of Casper Wyoming.

Duces Tecum
05-13-2022, 10:26 AM

Erick,

At a Safari Club convention years ago I think I remember someone saying there are outfitters in Texas that provide this service.

Duces

Guerrero
05-13-2022, 10:49 AM
Aren't helicopter hog hunts still a thing?

RoyGBiv
05-13-2022, 10:53 AM

Definitely around here.... aka "Pork Chopper"

Erick Gelhaus
05-13-2022, 10:56 AM
The helo hog hunts are well into 4 digits to the left of the decimal an hour. I recall the fixed-wing time was much, much less.

I'll be in WY fairly soon. Looking forward to seeing what it's like.

okie john
05-13-2022, 11:14 AM

Yes, but pay attention to the type of bird. I've seen on other forums that these hunts commonly use a relatively inexpensive type of civilian-operated helicopter that's prone to crashing.

I'm inclined to avoid anything that could be described by the term "inexpensive civilian-operated helicopter."

Okie John

camsdaddy
05-13-2022, 11:18 AM
Yes, but pay attention to the type of bird. I've seen on other forums that these hunts commonly use a relatively inexpensive type of civilian-operated helicopter that's prone to crashing.

I'm inclined to avoid anything that could be described by the term "inexpensive civilian-operated helicopter."

Okie John

Helicopters do not glide to the ground when the engines stop

LittleLebowski
05-13-2022, 12:22 PM
The helo hog hunts are well into 4 digits to the left of the decimal an hour. I recall the fixed-wing time was much, much less.

I'll be in WY fairly soon. Looking forward to seeing what it's like.

If you like being left alone, it’s a nice place :cool:

mmc45414
05-13-2022, 12:22 PM
North of Casper Wyoming.

Any chance your cousin's first name starts with T?...

LittleLebowski
05-13-2022, 12:23 PM
Any chance your cousin's first name starts with T?...

None.

mmc45414
05-13-2022, 12:26 PM

I flew in one once, but this boom strike stuff just sounds crazy..
https://youtu.be/Nw5Cmjul4dw

GJM
05-13-2022, 12:27 PM

Actually, they do, assuming you know what to do with the collective.

It is a close call as to who is in more danger doing predator hunting from the air — the coyote or the flight crew. Flying slow, with lots of maneuvering through your own wake vortices low to the ground, is demanding.

mmc45414
05-13-2022, 12:28 PM
None. That woulda been small world stuff there if it was the same guy I know that has a job flying around with shotguns... :cool:

GJM
05-13-2022, 12:58 PM
Pretty sure Mas was in a piston helicopter crash while hunting hogs.

Bio
05-17-2022, 03:13 PM
So. Jealous.

I'll be honest, based on the title, I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't involve any hungry coyote hurling himself through the air with a catapult in an attempt to catch a road runner.

Mas
06-22-2022, 08:20 AM
Pretty sure Mas was in a piston helicopter crash while hunting hogs.

Ayup.

https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/dont-be-afraid-of-flying/

Currently nine years "helicopter crash free."

Le Français
06-22-2022, 09:13 AM

They can: It’s called autorotating in case you want to learn more.

Shotgun
06-22-2022, 09:17 AM
So. Jealous.

Very cool. How slow can that plane safely fly when hunting?

camsdaddy
06-22-2022, 09:32 AM
They can: It’s called autorotating in case you want to learn more.

I’m pretty well grounded. I appreciate the info. I will pass on the ride along.