PDA

View Full Version : Factory Glock Triggers

TSH
04-23-2022, 05:14 PM
Performed a search, but I did not find anything describing exactly what I am looking for. If somebody knows of a thread, feel free to direct me to it and close this one...

Having read discussions on good "people-management" triggers, is there a known combination of parts which will produce a more revolver-like trigger in a Glock? Preferably Gen5, including 17, 19, 26, 43, 43x, etc. Would like to solely use factory parts, if possible, but I am willing to consider aftermarket stuff as long as it will not create liability.

I know there are other semis out there I can do this with, but I am limited to Glock, and if the parts are factory no questions will be asked.

Thanks.

HCM
04-23-2022, 05:40 PM
Performed a search, but I did not find anything describing exactly what I am looking for. If somebody knows of a thread, feel free to direct me to it and close this one...

Having read discussions on good "people-management" triggers, is there a known combination of parts which will produce a more revolver-like trigger in a Glock? Preferably Gen5, including 17, 19, 26, 43, 43x, etc. Would like to solely use factory parts, if possible, but I am willing to consider aftermarket stuff as long as it will not create liability.

I know there are other semis out there I can do this with, but I am limited to Glock, and if the parts are factory no questions will be asked.

Thanks.

There are NY triggers for Gen 5 but in short, they suck.

The old trick of combining a NY trigger spring and a factory minus connector to get a rolling break only works in Gen 1-3 service sized guns (26/19/17/34). Due to Geometry changes the results in Gen 4/5 service sized guns are poor.

If this is for duty use, Glock officially discourages use of the minus connector for duty use. That’s why Blue Label G34/35 don’t come with the minus connector.

If you want a “people management” trigger the length of the pull is more significant than the weight. Even then it’s not a substitute for keeping your finger off the trigger if you haven’t made a decision to shoot.

Many of the agencies which previously issued and or mandated the New York trigger system in Glocks have since abandoned it. Even NYPD, notorious for putting the 12lb staple gun like NY plus triggers into Glocks have abandoned them for standard triggers.

TheNewbie
04-23-2022, 06:04 PM

Thanks.

The NY1 trigger in my Gen 4 guns wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t exactly revolver like. Combined with an SCD it made me feel more comfortable about carrying them.

DB talked in the past about a gunsmith who made his Glock triggers more DAO like, or something like that. I don’t remember exactly and I may be getting that all wrong, just sounds vaguely correct in my head.

A more DAO like trigger in a Glock, with a smooth pull, would be nice. I’m sure there are people who could do it, but I wonder if the demand is there to justify the project.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for someone like LTT developing a more DAO like Glock trigger or well done Glock manual safety.

HCM
04-23-2022, 06:22 PM
The NY1 trigger in my Gen 4 guns wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t exactly revolver like. Combined with an SCD it made me feel more comfortable about carrying them.

DB talked in the past about a gunsmith who made his Glock triggers more DAO like, or something like that. I don’t remember exactly and I may be getting that all wrong, just sounds vaguely correct in my head.

A more DAO like trigger in a Glock, with a smooth pull, would be nice. I’m sure there are people who could do it, but I wonder if the demand is there to justify the project.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for someone like LTT developing a more DAO like Glock trigger or well done Glock manual safety.

But none of those are factory OEM drop in solutions.

Noah
04-23-2022, 06:45 PM
Given what HCM said about the usual minus connector and NY1 being meh in a gen 5, would a minus connector and 6 lb striker spring be on the table?

TSH
04-23-2022, 06:48 PM
There are NY triggers for Gen 5 but in short, they suck.

The old trick of combining a NY trigger spring and a factory minus connector to get a rolling break only works in Gen 1-3 service sized guns (26/19/17/34). Due to Geometry changes the results in Gen 4/5 service sized guns are poor.

If this is for duty use, Glock officially discourages use of the minus connector for duty use. That’s why Blue Label G34/35 don’t come with the minus connector.

If you want a “people management” trigger the length of the pull is more significant than the weight. Even then it’s not a substitute for keeping your finger off the trigger if you haven’t made a decision to shoot.

Many of the agencies which previously issued and or mandated the New York trigger system in Glocks have since abandoned it. Even NYPD, notorious for putting the 12lb staple gun like NY plus triggers into Glocks have abandoned them for standard triggers.

Thanks.

While this is somewhat for me, I also have in mind a family member who wants a Glock for home defense. When I handle a revolver, they seem more forgiving for poor trigger discipline than most semi-autos I am familiar with.

I appreciate the information.

HCM
04-23-2022, 09:05 PM
Thanks.

While this is somewhat for me, I also have in mind a family member who wants a Glock for home defense. When I handle a revolver, they seem more forgiving for poor trigger discipline than most semi-autos I am familiar with.

So are DAO and DA/SA autos but it’s the length of pull not the weight. That assumes you are talking about someone “trigger checking” under stress. Which leads to the real question:

Is this person going to get any training ?

A bigger concern is untrained or semi trained people not understanding the cycle of operation of semi auto pistols leading to errors during admin handling. Revolvers are much more forgiving in terms of admin handling.

Admin handling is a much more common cause of unintended discharges.

In a true startle / fall etc situation even a 12lb pull is not enough to over come the 50-60lbs or more generated by a reflexive grasping.

TheNewbie
04-23-2022, 09:46 PM
Thanks.

My mom is smart and listens to instructions. Still, I feel better that she has a revolver (and dog) to protect her. It’s simple for the intended purpose and works for someone who likely will not shoot much, if at all. That doesn’t mean that they don’t need some basic training in gun handling and marksmanship.

To the main topic. A Glock level simple DAO with a decent trigger would be nice. Probably won’t happen till DAO is cool again and I’m in my 80s.

L-2
04-23-2022, 11:01 PM
Here's the Gen5 NY1 Trigger Spring, which will result in a heavier trigger pull.
I suspect the pull will go from ~5.5 pounds up to ~8 pounds with that spring.
It sells for $4.50 here:
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/39651

For the money, I say get one; install it; and see for yourself how it feels & operates.

However, as others have said, to rephrase with my "spin" on the issue,
there's no substitute for proper training and trigger discipline.

Having one's finger on the trigger is a primary safety issue and means there should be a conscious decision at that point to destroy/shoot/kill whatever one is planning to do with that Glock.

Remember the four basic rules (my wording):
-all guns are loaded,
-know your target and what's beyond,
-don't point the firearm at anything you don't wish to destroy,
-and keep one's finger off the trigger until it's that time to do so.

The NY1 spring is not a safety device and isn't some legal hardware to exonerate someone in a wrongful shooting/discharge.
Do consider other options/training and non-firearm options.

Some believe a heavier trigger pull can result in less accuracy, too, which is a negative result of installing and using; but even more practice, I suppose, should be able to train out of being less accurate; at least until one's finger is too tired from the 8 pound pull.

I'm not saying a "defensive display" or having the firearm in one's hand, ready-to-go, doesn't have its place. Just have one's finger off the trigger until it's the right time.

TSH, I'm somewhat glad to hear your family member wants a Glock, but not if that family member doesn't wish to become properly trained and is or will stay incompetent at gun handling.