PDA

View Full Version : Sad bit on some of the history ISIS destroyed

LittleLebowski
04-11-2022, 07:54 AM
https://www.jewishtraveler.co.il/prophet-naums-tomb-reopened/

Across Iraq there were Jewish heritage sites, which for many generations were focal points for Jewish pilgrimage tourism. The sites of the Jewish heritage suffered an arm's length from ISIS jihadists. In the summer of 2014, they blew up and completely destroyed the tomb of the prophet Jonah, in the city of Mosul in northern Iraq. They also destroyed Daniel's tomb in Kirkuk Fortress in Iraq. At the tomb of the prophet Ezekiel, in the village of Chipil, south of Baghdad, they smashed marble plaques with Hebrew inscriptions, causing damage to its tomb and structure

Tackleberry40sw
04-11-2022, 08:16 AM
Sickening.....................

blues
04-11-2022, 08:23 AM
They eat their own and have been for a long time...so, this comes as no surprise, however decadent.

Hopefully their evil will be revisited upon them many times over...painfully.

Clusterfrack
04-11-2022, 10:07 AM
:( Savages. In 2003 I heard Robert Gates talk about the neverending fight against chaos. He was spot on.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-11-2022, 10:19 AM
Not a rare behavior: https://www.timesofisrael.com/palestinians-vandalize-west-bank-shrine-drawing-israeli-condemnations/

Palestinians vandalize, set fire to Joseph’s Tomb

Taliban: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/should-afghanistan-s-bamiyan-buddhas-be-rebuilt-n822781

Clusterfrack
04-11-2022, 10:25 AM
^^^ :(
And BLM and Antifa destroyed our statues and trashed the Historical society building here in Portland.

OlongJohnson
04-11-2022, 05:14 PM
Next thing you know, they'll be tearing down the statues of Lincoln and Jefferson...

Le Français
04-11-2022, 05:42 PM
I recently had an interesting conversation with an Ivy-League assyriologist about how much devastation Iraqi and Syrian conflicts have wrought on attempts to preserve cultural heritage sites. Very sad stuff.

Glenn E. Meyer
04-11-2022, 06:00 PM
Well, we should draw a Red Line in Syria! Oops, just got out of the DeLorean.

JDD
04-13-2022, 06:07 PM
I recently had an interesting conversation with an Ivy-League assyriologist about how much devastation Iraqi and Syrian conflicts have wrought on attempts to preserve cultural heritage sites. Very sad stuff.

It is. The Iraq/Syria stuff is particularly galling, because at least some of the destruction was a cover (with convenient ideologically zealous justification) for the theft and looting of artifacts that were smuggled out of the country and sold to collectors.

Le Français
04-13-2022, 06:12 PM
It is. The Iraq/Syria stuff is particularly galling, because at least some of the destruction was a cover (with convenient ideologically zealous justification) for the theft and looting of artifacts that were smuggled out of the country and sold to collectors.

Yup, tell me about it. Legit institutions are on high alert for provenance issues, and items from certain areas/periods are viewed askance by default, but of course there are many unscrupulous people involved in this sort of thing as well.