PDA

View Full Version : ALWAYS have a loaded gun on you at the range

JodyH
09-02-2012, 06:22 PM
http://www.newson6.com/story/16117945/man-shot-multiple-times-guns-swiped-at-wagoner-county-shooting-range

WAGONER, Oklahoma - The Wagoner County Sheriff's Department is investigating a shooting of 73-year-old retired veteran at a gun range near Wagoner. It happened around 7:30 Thursday morning.

The Wagoner County Sheriff says it appears Payne was leaving Toppers Gun range and walking back to his truck when someone shot him multiple times in the head.

Authorities say four guns were taken as well as a portable tool chest.
ALWAYS have a loaded gun on you at the range and ALWAYS keep your head on a swivel, especially at rural, isolated ranges.

LOKNLOD
09-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I remember when that happened. They took up a collection on a local forum and bought the old fellow some replacement guns, IIRC.

At the very least, I always keep my carry mag loaded and in a specific pocket so if someone came up at an inopportune time I'd never be left totally out of ammo...

NETim
09-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I remember when that happened. They took up a collection on a local forum and bought the old fellow some replacement guns, IIRC.

At the very least, I always keep my carry mag loaded and in a specific pocket so if someone came up at an inopportune time I'd never be left totally out of ammo...

Yep. My home range is somewhat isolated and I'm often there alone. There's always at least one mag loaded.

JM Campbell
09-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Buddy system too if at all possible. I hate hotting the range by myself, I like the added competition....makes me push the limits and drives me to do better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Nephrology
09-02-2012, 09:25 PM
When I lived and shot in rural areas in Oregon I would always have 2 guns on me - the one I was currently shooting, and one cocked and "locked" on my hip.

Wes Peart
09-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Platt and Matix robbed and murdered shooters while they were practicing on a couple occasions I believe. Head on a swivel...

John Hearne
09-02-2012, 10:23 PM
All the ranges I use are remote and I'm typically the only one there. I always make it a point to lock the gate once I'm inside. Just one extra layer....

CCT125US
09-02-2012, 11:18 PM
I believe it has been mentioned before, but I will wear electronic ear pro and face the mics to the rear when I am on my range alone. Short of someone running me down durring a string of fire, I feel safe. We have cattle on the property and on more than one occasion the friendly snort caused alarm. Bovine interference is better than two legged trouble any day. But I always have a spare mag or bug as well.

CDR_Glock
09-03-2012, 07:01 AM
I don't go to open public ranges. However, it's a smart idea in ANY range. I recall posting a story like this in another forum and was accused of being paranoid. Things like this happen. There are times when I may have thousands of dollars of firearms with me. Some people have been robbed for much less.

I shoot at a private range these days. However, I also go to an indoor range, too.

I always have a concealed firearm that is not shot at the range. I never leave a loaded firearm unattended if I'm hanging targets.

Chris Rhines
09-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Shot multiple times in the head, and not only did he survive, he retained the presence of mind to get to his cellphone and call for help. Hard dude.

Odin Bravo One
09-03-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't go to open public ranges. However, it's a smart idea in ANY range. I recall posting a story like this in another forum and was accused of being paranoid.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not after you.

TCinVA
09-03-2012, 10:52 AM
There aren't many people who end up shot or in a gunfight who actually planned on that sort of activity during their day.

"What are the odds?"

Small, perhaps. It's little comfort, however, when you're staring down the wrong end of a .38.

GJM
09-03-2012, 12:00 PM
We have a different concern at our shooting area -- grizzly bears. While my wife and I carry an extra magazine loaded with carry ammo in a pocket for the duration of the session, we also have our 10mm's in our shooting bag next to us and a shotgun in the truck.

CDR_Glock
09-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not after you.

Hahahahahahahaha

mongooseman
09-05-2012, 08:42 PM
This thread makes me feel not quiet as paranoid. I've always remembered that scene in Silverado when one of the good guys was practicing and he didn't know the bad guys had snuck up on him until one of them said "Mister, I believe you're empty." They were about to finish him off when Danny Glover saved the day.

That's always been at the back of my mind when practicing, because I'm usually at the range alone. If I don't have a back up at hand, I at least keep a loaded mag in a side pocket.