PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1 red dot mounts? AIMTECH???

Pnut
04-06-2022, 11:27 PM
Has anyone here mounted a RDS on a Benelli M1? My I M1 isn’t tapped and threaded for a rail so I asked a local gunsmith about doing it. He said that the M1’s receiver was thinner than the M2’s and it wouldn’t be safe to do it. He also said that I’d lose value in the gun if I did such a permanent mod.

I did some research and found the Aimtech saddle style mount. I’ve had it on my gun for a while with a Leupold DPP and put about 100 round through it and it hasn’t lost zero yet. It’s held in place by a bolt that replaces the trigger housing pin. There’s also a tension screw that is on the bottom, in front of the loading port.

I’m happy with it but just curious of other options out there. Here’s a pic I found online of the mount

jellydonut
04-07-2022, 06:17 AM
I have a Burris Speedbead on order. Spacer that goes between the receiver and stock.

In the past I have used an Aimpoint S1, which goes on the vent rib if you have that. It works well. However, it's not compatible with my new handguard, so out it goes.

Erik
04-11-2022, 06:01 PM
Following this one with interest. I was just looking at my M1 and thinking about this.

Pnut
04-11-2022, 07:16 PM
I tried the Burris SpeedBead but wasn’t impressed. It only fits optics with the FastFire foot print, and was blocked by my ghost ring sights. I’ve been happy with the AimTech. It’s held zero with no problems. The factory ghost ring is completely blocked by my red dot though.

A few points of interest. Before I got the optic mount, I had the GGG oversized charging handle and oversized bolt release. The handle wouldn’t work with the base because it was too wide for the slot and would rub. I replaced the handle with a Freedom Fighter Tactical smaller diameter handle and it works fine. The GGG smaller diameter handle might work too.

The GGG oversized bolt release was also too big for the mount’s cut out. I took the release’s pad to a grinder and changed it from a rectangle to a triangle and it works great. Here’s a pic…

jellydonut
04-12-2022, 03:02 AM
I understand. I have a vent rib so I won't be having any issues, I hope.

I've been looking at oversized bolt releases, as one of the things that is really annoying with the standard M2 bolt release is that it is possible to hit it halfway and get auditory feedback but not actually release the bolt. I think it would be easier to not fatfinger this with a larger paddle.