PDA

View Full Version : Do we like the Law Tactical stock hinge?

Rick R
04-05-2022, 04:54 PM
I’m seriously considering one for my travel rifle and see they’re up to “Gen3-M”.

For those of you who shelled out the money is there any buyers remorse?

Casual Friday
04-05-2022, 05:16 PM
I've had one for 5 years and it still locks up as tight as new, I have no regrets with the purchase. It gives you a way to carry a SBR or AR pistol in a backpack that is relatively easy and fast to deploy. I bought a second one, but never really used the lower it was on, so I removed it and sold it to a buddy when they were oos everywhere a while back.

dontshakepandas
04-05-2022, 05:30 PM
I've had one for a while without issues. The only real downsides are the cost and the weight. You are adding like 10 ounces to get the ability to fold.

I actually took it off and sold it a few weeks ago just because of the weight, but I regret it and ordered another one to replace it yesterday. It is heavy, but at least its at the back of the rifle so it balances ok.

If you aren't actually going to put your gun in a backpack it may not be worth it, but if you think you have a realistic use for it I don't think you'll regret buying it.

MolonLabe416
04-05-2022, 07:07 PM
The weight is the only drawback.

GJM
04-05-2022, 07:21 PM
The weight is the only drawback.

I think weight is the main drawback, but there is some additional complexity internally over a stock AR, and obviously you can't fire it folded. The Rattler and SCAR spoil you with their set up.

Screwball
04-05-2022, 07:37 PM
I put one on my truck gun, mainly because I planned to run it with a can. It’s nice, and definitely isn’t garbage… but if I can fit the gun with can in the locker I’m getting with it unfolded, I’ll probably pull it off.

I just don’t like the entire not able to function folded. Don’t get me wrong, I get why… and it’s an issue with the AR system… but rather be able to rack a round in without having to get it unfolded. When the upper went back to AA for the bent piston rod… I did like the AK-P with its folding brace.

Out of all my other ARs, don’t think I’d put it on any of them. Maybe my D/I AR-45… or my 9mm AR.

Andy T
04-05-2022, 08:09 PM
I have one specifically for a "backpack" AR. It gets the job done and hasn't given me any issues in about a year. Also, they LAW folder is NSN'd, and I believe is used "for real".
Having said, I have no plans of getting any more since I got that niche filled.

Lon
04-05-2022, 08:17 PM
I used one for a couple of years while I had a need for a backpack rifle. As soon as I didn’t need it I took it off to save weight. Good quality, just don’t need it anymore. Still have it in a box somewhere, just in case the need arises.

Casual Friday
04-05-2022, 08:54 PM
This is one of those times that it pays to have a spare lower that can be dedicated to the Law Folder and pulled from the safe when you need it. I can basically take any of my short uppers and throw it on the folding lower. When I'm not using it it just lays on the top shelf of my safe until I need it again.

Rick R
04-05-2022, 09:24 PM
This is one of those times that it pays to have a spare lower that can be dedicated to the Law Folder and pulled from the safe when you need it. I can basically take any of my short uppers and throw it on the folding lower. When I'm not using it it just lays on the top shelf of my safe until I need it again.

The intended recipient rifle is a gun that’s short and handy with a 14.5”+pin&weld flash suppressor barrel. It fits in my rolling duffle assembled but I also have a 5.11 SBR case that it’s 3” too long for. My 10.5” pistol fits but it’s A) probably going to become un-legal and B) obnoxious to shoot even with ear pro. With our new state law update making loaded long guns legal in a vehicle spending money on the folder instead of sending $200 to re-legalize the pistol as an SBR seems the better idea.

I may make a trip to the range with a small lead ingot duct taped to that rifles present stock and see if the weight bothers me.

Thanks for the input!

HCM
04-05-2022, 10:39 PM
The law folder itself is durable and reliable. There’s a reason it has an NSN and is in use with at least a couple federal LE agencies.

However, there are a few potential issues some of which have already been addressed such as weight, complexity and the inability to fire more than one shot folded.

Another issue I’ve experienced is you need to account for the additional weight the plug for the back of the bolt carrier adds to the BCG.

I’ve run two guns with the law set up, an 11.5 inch pistol built and tuned by Sons Of Liberty Gun Works to work with the law folder and a 16” Colt 6920 with a carbine gas system. Both worked fine but both might be considered to be slightly over gassed.

I recently built a 10.5 inch upper using an expo/bloodline barrel. Carbine gas with a pin gauge verified Crane spec .070 gas port.

Suffice to say the 10.5) runs on every pistol an SBR lower I’ve tried it on except those with law folders. When doing the single shot lockback test, with this upper on law folder equipped lowers it consistently fails to lock back and exhibit other signs of being under-gassed which it does not exhibit with standard lowers.

The lowers I tried used buffers ranging in weight from H to H2. When I get some time I may try it with a lighter carbon buffer but for now that particular upper is a no -go with the LAW.

YMMV.

Wake27
04-05-2022, 10:41 PM
I have one specifically for a "backpack" AR. It gets the job done and hasn't given me any issues in about a year. Also, they LAW folder is NSN'd, and I believe is used "for real".
Having said, I have no plans of getting any more since I got that niche filled.

They’re absolutely used within USASOC.

I had one on my gun for like five minutes. Can see the value and no issues on quality but just didn’t feel like something I’d use enough to justify the weight and while I have lots of lowers, none that are built out just the way I like but not attached to an upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJP
04-05-2022, 11:33 PM
I have one that I put on my SBR for a class. Ultimately, I figured running the gun out of a bag wasn’t my reality, and I pulled it off due to the weight and shift in balance. I’ve considered mounting it on another rifle to make it more “packable”, but the weight was a real turn off. As far as fit and function, no complaints whatsoever. This was with a 10.5” SBR with a carbine length gas system and H2 buffer.

fatdog
04-06-2022, 05:58 AM
Only problem as cited many times is weight. I have two on two different registered SBR's and have run at least 1500 rounds between them with no issues, mine are staying on those for the intended use of making them backpack, gym duffel or briefcase sized when appropriate.

DpdG
04-06-2022, 09:29 AM
I don't know if mine was out of spec, or it's just the nature of the beast, but upon install mine started battering the buffer against the buffer detent, which that lower never did previously. I suspect the folder had the buffer detent hole slightly aft of where it's supposed to be. Ultimately removed it more due to weight/length, but I suspect it would ave eventually sheared the buffer detent with enough round count.

Rex G
04-07-2022, 10:06 AM
Part of the LAW folder does extend a bit, from the rear of the receiver, when the stock/brace portion is folded. It is not Rattler-brace/stock short. Keep this in mind, when calculating such things as case/bag/backpack storage dimensions. Don’t forget that the whole weapon is about doubled in width, when the LAW is folded; this is not going to fit in some narrow cases.

Others have mentioned the weight, and the one-shot limitation, when folded.

AmericanIcon
04-07-2022, 04:04 PM
Hey Rick R, send me a PM. My Law folder has been sitting in a box for forever, I don't think I'll use it anytime soon. I even have the JP SCS upgrade bits that go with it.

Flamingo
04-07-2022, 04:41 PM
Deadfoot Arms (https://deadfootarms.com/products/modified-cycle-system-folding-stock-adaptor-black-nitride-bolt-carrier-group) makes a side folder for an AR. You have to use a modified bolt, but it allows you to fire more than one shot from a folded gun.

GyroF-16
04-07-2022, 06:55 PM
I have LAW folders on several AR pistols.
Solid lock-up, and I don’t mind the weight or increase in LOP.

But do bear in mind that the BCG extension that’s part of the system weighs about 2 oz. That’s about the difference between a carbine buffer weight and an H2 or H3. So unless the gun starts out as overgassed, it might wind up as undergassed, potentially causing cycling issues or failure to lock back on an empty mag. On a suppressed gun, probably not really an issue.

That said, it wasn’t an issue on a Geissele pistol, aside from the occasional failure to lock back on an empty mag with lower-powered .223 ammo unsuppressed. On 300 BLK guns, it just required some tuning with Springco buffer springs and adjustable buffer weights.

Generally, I’m a fan, given the gained ability to have the guns available in a backpack in environments where they wouldn’t otherwise be in play.

Disclaimer- I’m FAR from an AR SME (more the opposite). But trying to share my limited experience.

Norther
04-09-2022, 12:21 AM
I took mine back off, after using it for years. I had it work loose a couple of times, and it adds a lot of weight. The bolt extension weighed too much for my subsonic loads so I got an aluminum one from KAK, which helped a lot.

Rex G
04-09-2022, 10:10 AM
Brownells has a Saturday Sale, today, the Ninth. Clicking-through benefits this forum.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ar-15-m16-gen3-m-folding-stock-adapter-prod71553.aspx?avs%7cSpecial-Filters_1=Salezz1zzClearance&trk_msg=J90HL8QMB5M4L6S118IQ40CN18&trk_contact=U85FT7F9SI3NISDLBHC3J546IC&trk_sid=61TPQ021LNABH4QN6O6H0OC388&trk_link=LU0TS16EIDOKF62C6SBSRHGMK0&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Order+Here&utm_campaign=2022_04_09_S%26C&utm_content=Sales%26Clearance_DanielDefense

Rick R
04-11-2022, 09:20 AM
Well yesterday I taped a one pound lead ingot to the rifles receiver extension. A svelte 6.6# rifle was noticeably porked up by the 15% increase in weight. Added a loaded 20 round Magpul and the fun was gone.

Thanks for the input and information guys, this idea is going on the far back burner.

WobblyPossum
04-11-2022, 03:50 PM
I have one on an AR pistol I put together a couple of years ago. I don’t use the gun much but it’s definitely heavier than I’d prefer. I had originally wanted to put a bag gun together after the big PDW thread we did here. I have never carried the gun outside the house in a backpack or any other kind of container it would have needed the LAW adapter to fit into. I’m debating whether or not to take the folder off and list it for sale.

NuJudge
04-11-2022, 04:44 PM
Brownell's has a lower receiver with an integral butt folder. I believe it is a bit lighter than a lower-with-a-Law.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-integrated-folding-lower-receiver-prod138643.aspx

Together with a Cry Havoc Quick Remove Barrel kit, these would make a dandy little package, even if it has a 16 inch barrel.

DDTSGM
04-11-2022, 05:19 PM
Well yesterday I taped a one pound lead ingot to the rifles receiver extension. A svelte 6.6# rifle was noticeably porked up by the 15% increase in weight. Added a loaded 20 round Magpul and the fun was gone.

Thanks for the input and information guys, this idea is going on the far back burner.

The adapter housing weighs 8.5oz, the carrier extension weighs 2oz, so actually it is 10.5 oz, about 2/3 of a pound. Your actual increase would be 9.9%.

In reality, probably not going to notice the extra weight carrying it in a backpack. In terms of realistic training with the rifle the added weight shouldn't unduly interfere since it is more midships than either end of the rifle.

Now, if you are putting this thing on an everyday rifle, or one you plan to hunt with, I think you are not using the folder in it's intended role. I have a couple of LAW's, one on this pistol waiting for me to get around to sending in the paperwork for a stamp. The other one was on my TAC14 to make the AR grip adapter legal length, but I took it off as I was unsure of the legality.

(Airborne Flag is cooler than my basement floor :) )

Caballoflaco
04-11-2022, 07:14 PM
Dan Lehr what’s buffer tube cover is that? Thanks.

Rick R
04-11-2022, 07:40 PM
Brownell's has a lower receiver with an integral butt folder. I believe it is a bit lighter than a lower-with-a-Law.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-integrated-folding-lower-receiver-prod138643.aspx

Together with a Cry Havoc Quick Remove Barrel kit, these would make a dandy little package, even if it has a 16 inch barrel.

I saw this (or at least something in the same vein) at a gun store recently and wondered about the quality. The last thing I need is another rifle project, but as a dedicated travel lower using an already vetted upper this might be a good thing.

vandal
04-11-2022, 08:33 PM
Law tactical was my gateway drug to MCX addiction.

DDTSGM
04-11-2022, 09:36 PM
Dan Lehr what’s buffer tube cover is that? Thanks.

I thought it was CAA, but when I googled CAA recoil tube cover it hit on Thordsen:

https://www.thordsencustoms.com/enhanced-buffer-tube-cover-kit-flat-dark-earth/.html

ETA: It's cut out on the bottom so you can use it on a standard carbine buffer tube, it has 'rotation lugs' on each side though, so it won't twist on a pistol tube which is what I have it mounted on. They also make a snap on cheek riser.

HeavyDuty
04-12-2022, 06:36 AM
I thought it was CAA, but when I googled CAA recoil tube cover it hit on Thordsen:

https://www.thordsencustoms.com/enhanced-buffer-tube-cover-kit-flat-dark-earth/.html

ETA: It's cut out on the bottom so you can use it on a standard carbine buffer tube, it has 'rotation lugs' on each side though, so it won't twist on a pistol tube which is what I have it mounted on. They also make a snap on cheek riser.

I had Thordsen covers on both of my pistols before I went with other options a few years back, but I kept them. I suspect they will get reinstalled.

LHS
04-12-2022, 10:04 AM
Do you have an AR you would like to fold up and put in a bag, without having to deal with taking the upper and lower apart? Then the LAW is great, and I would definitely recommend going with the latest model (I had a gen2 for a while and had issues with the carrier extension coming loose, rotating, and snapping off the proprietary buffer retaining pin, which of course fell into the FCG and locked the whole damn thing up). The Gen3 gets rid of all that, using a stock retaining pin and an orientation-agnostic carrier extension. But as others have mentioned, there is definitely a weight penalty. My 11.5" pencil-barrel SBR ought to be light... but with the LAW folder and Steiner 1-4x, it's a chonky boi for sure. But... it fits in a backpack, a feature I mostly use to bring it with me when a bunch of us go eat lunch after a 2-gun match, so I don't have to leave a gun in my truck unattended.

Rex G
04-23-2022, 12:58 PM
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ar-15-m16-gen3-m-folding-stock-adapter-prod71553.aspx?trk_msg=MPPS3M8F17U4N0DVCQF8RVDMGK&trk_contact=U85FT7F9SI3NISDLBHC3J546IC&trk_sid=9NQV1MRBQIK6SUDI9J27L63RG8&trk_link=UQBBHGG07K24PB7VV77K6QPN7S&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Shop+Here&utm_campaign=2022_04_23_S%26C&utm_content=Sales%26Clearance_Law

awp_101
04-29-2022, 12:29 PM
On sale at Primary Arms:
Primary Arms
FLASH SALE!

Law Tactical
Folding Stock
Adapter ONLY
$219.99 w/code
THELAW

exp 5/1

GyroF-16
04-29-2022, 12:48 PM
That’s about the best price I’ve seen since I’ve been paying attention over the last 3 years or so.
If I didn’t already have one for every pistol that I own, I’d probably be buying at that price.

On sale at Primary Arms:
Primary Arms
FLASH SALE!

Law Tactical
Folding Stock
Adapter ONLY
$219.99 w/code
THELAW

exp 5/1

Rex G
05-28-2022, 10:18 AM
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ar-15-m16-gen3-m-folding-stock-adapter-prod71553.aspx?trk_msg=VE9EQ6629SEK9AEL3EONL4NBQ0&trk_contact=U85FT7F9SI3NISDLBHC3J546IC&trk_sid=IOSCSFHLHI80ROTUFC5RUG2J1K&trk_link=Q6LEOMIO5CMKD9TINUGNHEC564&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Buy+Now&utm_campaign=MemorialDay2022&utm_content=2022_05_28_LawTactical

Screwball
05-29-2022, 11:50 AM
I just ordered two of the flange wrenches off LAW Tactical’s website… being they just got back in stock.

Two were cheaper than doing the actual tool, and will allow me to take it off my AR pistol. After looking at my ARs, I’m unsure if I’m tossing it on another as of yet. My general AR has a JP captive recoil assembly, which I like… but it is also one of the original ones, so I really can’t adapt it to work with the LAW. My 9mm pistol would have been a good option, but the weight in the Stern bolt doesn’t seem to be an easy way to convert it over… and I have the bolt/buffer balanced pretty well with my suppressor and duty load. The .45… that D/I system is pretty touchy, and don’t want to add more weight and potentially cause issue. Everything else… not really worth it or I prefer how the ARs are already setup.

I’ve been back and forth with a lot of my ARs and other defensive weapons… and have moved to lightening them up as much as possible. Think pulling the LAW off is following suite, especially when I don’t have the need to fold an AR that much. I got the second wrench for one of two reasons…

Either I’m going to keep it in storage for the off chance I do need to make an AR more compact or I’m going to put it up for sale.

It’s not a bad setup… if you need to compact an AR past it’s buffer tube. But you get more weight and OAL with it.

Rex G
06-19-2022, 10:06 AM
This promotion does not apply equally to all colors, as it appears that the Gift Card applies only to Black. Remember, clicking-through this site, to Brownells, provides something to the P-F tip jar. I have no financial affiliation with Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ar-15-m16-gen3-m-folding-stock-adapter-prod71553.aspx?trk_msg=7ATHOLATSBC4BDPK6A0BBJPUTS&trk_contact=U85FT7F9SI3NISDLBHC3J546IC&trk_sid=N5HGAF505JHN99N99M7BOHGV60&trk_link=E5HN9KMQ9564T6VMEKH9GS66OC&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Get+Yours+Now&utm_campaign=FD2022&utm_content=2022_06_19_LawTactical

Pnut
07-05-2022, 02:07 AM
Quick question for the LAW Tactical owners… does anyone know what the hex head screw at the 6 o’clock position is for? It’s not listed in the PARTS LIST, and isn’t mentioned at all in the installation instructions.

I thought it might have something to do with the buffer retainer, but it sits slightly further back than the retainer hole.

Pnut
07-05-2022, 01:02 PM
Here’s a pic of the MYSTERY SCREW marked “?”.

“1” is a qd socket, “2” is the release button assembly, and “3” is the hinge pin

Pnut
07-05-2022, 04:54 PM
I contacted LAW and they said the mystery screw is to retain the buffer retainer parts and doesn’t need to be adjusted or messed with. They said it’s listed as part #11 in the instructions. Silly me… I glossed right over that when I looked at the instruction sheet!