PDA

View Full Version : Shortening a Benelli M1 stock? InnovaTac???

Pnut
04-04-2022, 11:59 PM
I’ve done some online research and found a thread on some forum where a guy shortened him Benelli stock using a wood filler piece and epoxy. I then stumbled on a YouTube video by a company called InnovaTac that makes a kit to do this using a cut-to-fit plastic filler piece and epoxy! I’ll post a link to the video.

Has anyone tried any of these options or have any other suggestions? The reason I ask is because I’ve had an M1 for over 20 years and love it… but I recently purchased a Beretta 1301 Tactical. I didn’t realize how much more comfortable it was to shoot with the shorter length of pull until I shot the 1301. So now, I want a shorter stock on my M1!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMafrdzJy68

fatdog
04-05-2022, 05:35 AM
I have done 3, all straight stock versions, two M1's and one Beretta 1201 which is nothing but an M1 with the shell release moved to the loading gate. It was probably 20 years ago now. I cut the stock, built new anchor points for the screws using "marine epoxy", then fitted pachmyr decelerator pads to get my LOP down to about 13". The bolt on the end of the recoil spring assembly dictates how short you can go. They have held up and the epoxy has held on.

I always found it frustrating that a company like Benelli who made shotguns really did not understand shotguns (aside from wing shooting) and hence no shorter stocks available.

jellydonut
04-06-2022, 10:12 AM
I have not tried this, but thanks for turning me onto this option. I'm definitely giving Innovatac's solution a shot.

jlw
04-06-2022, 10:15 AM
I had a stock on an M1 cut down to 12.5" by a local smith, and it made a world of difference in how the gun handled. I sold the M1 to someone in need of a shotgun after purchasing a 1301.

Pnut
04-06-2022, 12:59 PM
I checked out their website and they are located in Finland. I tried looking up a US source without any luck… I haven’t checked to see what shipping will cost.

If you take the dive Jellydonut, let me know how it works out!

sickeness
04-06-2022, 03:36 PM
I checked out their website and they are located in Finland. I tried looking up a US source without any luck… I haven’t checked to see what shipping will cost.

I have been looking for something like this for some time.
I placed an order for a pad and the kit, it was $93 including shipping.

Pnut
04-06-2022, 06:17 PM
Please keep us updated on your progress!! The video makes it look so simple but reality is often completely different.

jellydonut
04-07-2022, 04:53 AM

Ordered the bits, I'll let you know how it goes. Ordinarily I am complete shit at making things look good and proper but the instructional videos are very precise and helpful so I have faith I'll be able to not screw this up.

Pnut
04-11-2022, 02:39 PM
I decided to dive in and placed an order for the part! Euro to USD, the total with shipping was about $68. I ordered the one with the 3 1/8” screw spacing so I could go with a LimbSaver grind to fit pad. I think the MEDIUM pad will work, but I’ll wait before I place that order. Wish me luck and I’ll keep you guys updated!

Pnut
04-11-2022, 03:20 PM
I also found this video from InnovaTac with instructions and tip on how to cut down a stock… it’s specifically for a ComfortTech stock, but some of the tips carry over.

https://youtu.be/TsT2FFYovDo

Pnut
04-14-2022, 05:47 PM
Anyone that ordered the kit… have your received the part yet or gotten shipping confirmation? I know it’s only been 3 days since I ordered but no shipping confirmation yet.

jellydonut
04-15-2022, 01:59 AM
The owner was in Poland shooting IPSC matches last week, and this week is Easter, so I'm not stressed.

sickeness
04-15-2022, 02:30 AM
Anyone that ordered the kit… have your received the part yet or gotten shipping confirmation? I know it’s only been 3 days since I ordered but no shipping confirmation yet.

Got my confirmation today.
Due to arrive in 10 days.

Pnut
04-15-2022, 03:35 PM
Cool… I’ll be patiently waiting!

Pnut
04-16-2022, 04:30 PM
Just got my shipping confirmation so I figure the part will be here in a couple weeks.

Meanwhile, I’ve removed my stock to do some measurements. I think I can safely cut off 2” which will still leave about 1/2”-3/4” clearance for the buffer tube and nut. That would leave the overall length of the stock at 10.5” without a recoil pad, which would be the same length as my 1301 setup. I’m tempted to make the cut now, but I’ll wait till the part arrives to make sure everything fits.

What is everyone else’s plans?

jellydonut
04-17-2022, 03:13 AM
I have an M2 with a Comfortech stock, so the design of the Comfortech puts a natural limit on the chop. I will chop all the way until the Comfortech rubbery bits section.

Pnut
04-19-2022, 01:08 PM
No turning back now! I got my shipping update and the part should be here in 8 days. Got a little impatient and made the cut… 2”. Ordered the LimbSaver grind to fit in medium as well. I’ll keep everyone updated on my progress…

Pnut
04-20-2022, 11:23 PM
Still patiently waiting for the parts, so I did a few more measurements. With the stock cut 2”, the inside dimensions are approx. 3 3/4” tall and 1 1/8” wide. The tall measurement was made after I ground down a rib on the top and a rib on the bottom. I might grind down the ribs on the sides, but I’ll wait till the part arrives.

My only concern right now are the max/min. dimensions of the InnovaTac filler plate. I searched their site and couldn’t find them.

Pnut
04-22-2022, 12:10 AM
So I got a little impatient today and decided to try and make my own filler plate. I used an old polymer cutting board as the plate and my belt grinder to shape it. I was surprised at how well it turned out and might actually use it instead of the InnovaTac.

Pnut
04-22-2022, 12:45 PM
DONE! I decided to use my home made filler plate. I think, or at least tell myself that it I’ll be sturdier than the Innovatec piece. It’s epoxied in place just like the Innvatec one. The pad I used is a LimbSaver grind to fit, size medium. The gun feels so much better when shouldering and the shouldering process feels quicker and more natural. Time to hit the range!!!

Pnut
04-22-2022, 01:12 PM
I just got an email from InnovaTac. They told me that their plate can be cut down to 110mm/4.3”. That’s only cutting the tabs, but I’m sure the body could be ground down a bit. Now I’m glad I went with my home made plate because my inside height as 2.75”.

If anyone is interested in my unused InnovaTec plate, hit me up

Pnut
04-25-2022, 05:08 PM
My InnovaTac plate just arrived. It is larger than my butt stock opening but I’m sure it could be cut down to fit. Since I ended up using my home made filler, I might try the InnovaTac on my friends non-collapsible Benelli M4 pistol grip stock.

The picture shows the IT plate next to an unshaped plug for my M1. The unshaded plug is 3.75” long.

Pnut
04-27-2022, 07:46 PM
My buddy wanted me to shorten his Benelli M4 fixed pistol grip stock. Since I had the InnovaTac (IT)plate I decided to use it on his.

Because of the sling plate retaining bolt, I was only able to take off 1.75”. Even with all the tabs cut off, the IT plate was too big. I had to grind off quite a bit on the top and bottom edges and a little in the sides to get it to fit. It is in the stock now, with the epoxy drying. The photo show approximately how much I had to grind off (the redlines)but I’ll take a better pic once the epoxy I’d cured.

I think my home made filler piece was an easier install for my purposes. Because the IT plate had pre-installed nuts, I had to work around them, making sure everything lined up and was even while grinding away the excess plastic. With my plate, I only needed to grind it to fit. Once everything was in place I could position the pad as needed and then drill the mounting holes.

Pnut
04-28-2022, 02:18 AM
As promised, here’s a pic of the IT plate highly modified and installed…

Lex Luthier
04-28-2022, 08:24 AM
As promised, here’s a pic of the IT plate highly modified and installed…

Just out of curiosity, what sort of epoxy adhesive did you use on these two examples?

Pnut
04-28-2022, 10:42 AM
I used Gorilla Glue epoxy