PDA

View Full Version : Why I've Decided Not To Get A Gen5 G22-But It's Nothing Against The G22

JonInWA
04-03-2022, 05:07 PM
For some time, I've strongly considered getting a Gen5 G22 as my entry into the Gen5 Glocks. Whie the G45 was tempting, the fact is that I have 2 exceptionally performing Gen 3 Glocks in 9mm-My G17 and G19, which constrains the impetus for getting a G45. The Gen5 G22 has what knowledgeable Glock user have suggested for years-that the platform would significantly benefit from having a heavier slde, as opposed to tweaking the RSAs; Glock had already established the heavy slide concept on the .45 GAP Glocks, and it's the route HK went.

Whiile I have a Gen4 G22, which I've been pleased with, I also have the Glock matching .357 SIG barrel for it, so if I got the Gen5 G22, my thought was that I'd primarily use the .357 SIG barrel in the Gen4. Glock currently does not offer a Gen5 G31, and I consider it highly doubful that they ever will, and I like having the .357 SIG option, so it made a certain amount of sense to have the Gen5 G22 for .40, and more or less dedicate the Gen4 G22 to .357 SIG with the .357 SIG barrel.

But then what has pretty much scuttled the Gen5 G22 urge is the realization for all practical purposes my HK VP40 fills the "heavy slide" .40 duty gun niche. The HK VP40 weighs 28.93 ounces with an unloaded magazine, versus the 28.43 for the Gen5 G22. Good as the reports have been regarding the Gen5 G22, the reality is that the HK iz more tailorable (3 backstraps, 6 side panels), and I index superbly with the small backstrap, large left side panel and small right side panel, and it's one of my most accurate pistols, both intrinsically mechanically and operationally with me shooting it.

While the Glock probably makes for a better woods/wilderness/hunting backup gun, due to its ease of detailed disassembly/reassembly, my Gen4 admirably fits that niche as it is, and the VP 40 probably would do just fine, but I normaly use it for urban/road trips, where it's unlikely I'll need to do a detailed disassembly and reassembly in anything other than a well-lit and well equipped administrative environment

So, urge stifled. If I wand a Gen5 with a MOS, the G22 will certainly be a viable candidate. But for now, I'll just stick with what I've got...

I hate it when objective logic kills/stomps over buying urges...

Best, Jon

4RNR
04-03-2022, 05:34 PM
For some time, I've strongly considered getting a Gen5 G22 as my entry into the Gen5 Glocks. Whie the G45 was tempting, the fact is that I have 2 exceptionally performing Gen 3 Glocks in 9mm-My G17 and G19, which constrains the impetus for getting a G45. The Gen5 G22 has what knowledgeable Glock user have suggested for years-that the platform would significantly benefit from having a heavier slde, as opposed to tweaking the RSAs; Glock had already established the heavy slide concept on the .45 GAP Glocks, and it's the route HK went.

Whiile I have a Gen4 G22, which I've been pleased with, I also have the Glock matching .357 SIG barrel for it, so if I got the Gen5 G22, my thought was that I'd primarily use the .357 SIG barrel in the Gen4. Glock currently does not offer a Gen5 G31, and I consider it highly doubful that they ever will, and I like having the .357 SIG option, so it made a certain amount of sense to have the Gen5 G22 for .40, and more or less dedicate the Gen4 G22 to .357 SIG with the .357 SIG barrel.

But then what has pretty much scuttled the Gen5 G22 urge is the realization for all practical purposes my HK VP40 fills the "heavy slide" .40 duty gun niche. The HK VP40 weighs 28.93 ounces with an unloaded magazine, versus the 28.43 for the Gen5 G22. Good as the reports have been regarding the Gen5 G22, the reality is that the HK iz more tailorable (3 backstraps, 6 side panels), and I index superbly with the small backstrap, large left side panel and small right side panel, and it's one of my most accurate pistols, both intrinsically mechanically and operationally with me shooting it.

While the Glock probably makes for a better woods/wilderness/hunting backup gun, due to its ease of detailed disassembly/reassembly, my Gen4 admirably fits that niche as it is, and the VP 40 probably would do just fine, but I normaly use it for urban/road trips, where it's unlikely I'll need to do a detailed disassembly and reassembly in anything other than a well-lit and well equipped administrative environment

So, urge stifled. If I wand a Gen5 with a MOS, the G22 will certainly be a viable candidate. But for now, I'll just stick with what I've got...

Best, Jon

Yep that logic thing talked me out of a Beretta 92G just the other day.

As for the gen5 22/23. I still want one, just not on my immediate list. I'm not really that hard up on 357sig. Not bad Option but if it never happens I wouldn't know the difference. For me it's in the same space as owning a McLaren F1.

I'm not sure how much ease of takedown really matters in a woods guns. I've never needed to nor have ever seen anyone needing to suddenly field strip a gun right then and there at that very moment. Or ever actually but especially at that moment. That being said my woods gun caliber starts with 7.62 and typically has double the Glock capacity

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

newyork
04-03-2022, 07:19 PM
I need to acquire some of that logic you speak of because I’ve been wanting a lnother Gen 5 9mm (17/34) and the 22 for really no good reason.

Good move Jon.

GJM
04-03-2022, 08:34 PM
I believe the main reason to get a G5 .40 over an HK VP40 has nothing to do with the pistol -- it has everything to do with the Glock eco system. Optics capability and options, magazine options, sights, holsters and everything that comes with being a Glock.

When I set up my two G5 .40 field pistols, I was able to mount an Acro and 509T, change one 23 lower to a G45 sized lower, get a Safariland RDS holster modified to take the larger G5 .40 slide, get 22 round OEM stick mags, BUIS, JM AIWB holsters with and without a TLR-7.

L-2
04-03-2022, 09:00 PM
Wow, there's a lot of (over) analysis, feelings, logic, and decision-making going on here; not to say anything is wrong with that as we're talking hard-to-get cash.

I find one of the difficult things in reading these forums is the desire to keep up with every new gun/handgun which comes out. There's always a few people who buy these guns and they all start to sound very good. In our subconscious minds or in our sleep, a specific brand & model or models begin to stand out and I find myself wanting it.

For me, I have to be in the right mood, and find the specific firearm for sale in the right store. For me, it's likely to be a G19Gen5/MOS and would need to be in my local Blue Label dealer, but I the last time I was in the store, I didn't even think to ask if they'd take my name & number for some type of a waiting list should one come in. I don't know if this store does that, although my prior Blue Label dealer, when I lived in another state, used to provide that degree of service. Maybe I'll ask my current LGS if they'll take my name if I'm in the mood in a few days when I again have the time to go in.

I believe none of the regular posters on this forum actually need any more handguns as, I think, we all own several. On some other forums, some of the posters don't yet own any handgun or only seem to keep one at a time. Many here are blessed with the financial ability to just buy anything or any gun we want at a moment's notice.:)

steve
04-04-2022, 09:34 AM
Hopefully soon the G35 Gen 5 will be out and then you could contemplate that one!

JonInWA
04-04-2022, 09:37 AM
Yep that logic thing talked me out of a Beretta 92G just the other day.

As for the gen5 22/23. I still want one, just not on my immediate list. I'm not really that hard up on 357sig. Not bad Option but if it never happens I wouldn't know the difference. For me it's in the same space as owning a McLaren F1.

I'm not sure how much ease of takedown really matters in a woods guns. I've never needed to nor have ever seen anyone needing to suddenly field strip a gun right then and there at that very moment. Or ever actually but especially at that moment. That being said my woods gun caliber starts with 7.62 and typically has double the Glock capacity

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I have to agree that so far in about 40- 50 years of shooting I've never needed to do anything more than a field-stripping to maintain a pistol (or rifle) when hunting, hiking, or for that matter, back in the Army. The reality of me totally immersing a gun in, say, a silty stream actually necessitating a detailed disassembly to clean, dry and re-lube are probably pretty remote. But in extreme worst-casing, it's somewhat comforting to know that I easily CAN do it if necesssary with a Glock. Even if the reality is probably close to zero.

Best, Jon

CDW4ME
04-04-2022, 12:20 PM
I have a gen 5 Glock 17 and am very pleased with it, low recoil and consistent brass ejection.
I've got a gen 3 Glock 22 and like it okay; I'd like it better if it ejected brass consistently like the 17 gen 5.
I've considered a gen 5 Glock 22 but don't know about holster compatibility if the slide is thicker; I can use the same holster for 19/17/35.
Maybe I should consider a Gen 5 Glock 34 instead of a 22. :confused:
Regardless, my gen 5 Glock 17 is excellent.

LockedBreech
04-04-2022, 01:06 PM
Wow, there's a lot of (over) analysis, feelings, logic, and decision-making going on here; not to say anything is wrong with that as we're talking hard-to-get cash.

I find one of the difficult things in reading these forums is the desire to keep up with every new gun/handgun which comes out. There's always a few people who buy these guns and they all start to sound very good. In our subconscious minds or in our sleep, a specific brand & model or models begin to stand out and I find myself wanting it.

For me, I have to be in the right mood, and find the specific firearm for sale in the right store. For me, it's likely to be a G19Gen5/MOS and would need to be in my local Blue Label dealer, but I the last time I was in the store, I didn't even think to ask if they'd take my name & number for some type of a waiting list should one come in. I don't know if this store does that, although my prior Blue Label dealer, when I lived in another state, used to provide that degree of service. Maybe I'll ask my current LGS if they'll take my name if I'm in the mood in a few days when I again have the time to go in.

I believe none of the regular posters on this forum actually need any more handguns as, I think, we all own several. On some other forums, some of the posters don't yet own any handgun or only seem to keep one at a time. Many here are blessed with the financial ability to just buy anything or any gun we want at a moment's notice.:)

My fiancée asked me this weekend how many guns I have. Non-judgmentally, as I’m very frugal and responsible and she really digs her new P365. I had thought the number was in the mid-twenties. Counting it out I realized it was past 30 again (I went from about 40 to about 20 to pay off debts in 2018).

So you’re absolutely right. It is helpful to sometimes have that “this is a want, not a need” self talk.

Now, I likely WILL get a G22 Gen 5. But that’s after months of consideration to replace my Circa 2007 first gen M&P as a woods gun and considering my deep existing stock of Glock parts and accessories and .40 ammo. A far cry from the “it looks neat” new gun buy logic I used 2014-2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awp_101
04-05-2022, 09:57 AM

Best, Jon

Yep, I was all set last week to go all in on something 9mm and MOS to replace my bedside 92 because hand and wrist issues have me rethinking one hand shooting.

Cleaning up the “gun area” yesterday uncovered a 5” M&P CORE I’d sort of forgotten about and my inner grown up reminded me that was the solution to the problem I was about to throw money at.

Sometimes I hate that smarmy prick…

psalms144.1
04-05-2022, 10:36 AM
I'm not sure how much ease of takedown really matters in a woods guns. I've never needed to nor have ever seen anyone needing to suddenly field strip a gun right then and there at that very moment. Or ever actually but especially at that moment. I have, several times, in sandy conditions. Drop your pistol in beach sand like conditions, and you'll find out the hard way how important the ability to detail strip and replace parts is. Trust me on this one.

If you don't live anywhere that's sandy/dusty, you're probably in a different position - but it's still nice to have simple systems.

JonInWA
04-05-2022, 11:46 AM
I have, several times, in sandy conditions. Drop your pistol in beach sand like conditions, and you'll find out the hard way how important the ability to detail strip and replace parts is. Trust me on this one.

If you don't live anywhere that's sandy/dusty, you're probably in a different position - but it's still nice to have simple systems.

Agreed. One of the few aftermarket components I consider a necessity for all of my Glocks is a Pearce butt plug, to preclude stuff getting in that cavity and migrating into the action components. A filed-expedient fix is to wad up some speedy 100 mph tape and jam it in the cavity, but I prefer to use an inexpensive plug, and there are variants for the Gen4 and Gen5s to accomodate the backstrap attachment.

I realized its worth when when hunting in the Okanogan Forest area where there had been huge wildfires, and sat down; My Glock G21, carried as a back-up in a thigh tactical rig promptly had the butt levered into fine ash as I sat. The plug prevented intrusion and migration (and a potential field detailed disassembly of the receiver).

My understanding that exposure to rotor wash in sandy or heavy dust environments can also forceably transfer media into locations you really don't want them to be in...

Best, Jon

psalms144.1
04-05-2022, 12:16 PM
A G19 dropped into beach sand will lock up like a drum, requiring detail stripping and replacement of the RSA. Ask me how I know! :p

TheNewbie
04-05-2022, 02:08 PM
A G19 dropped into beach sand will lock up like a drum, requiring detail stripping and replacement of the RSA. Ask me how I know! :p

Speedo carry? :cool: