PDA

View Full Version : Impact of .22 ammunition on the human skull

GKooyman
03-24-2022, 07:38 PM
I am new to this forum and am looking for some feedback from the group to the following question:

What is the likelihood of a .22 round fired from a pistol at point blank range (no further away than 3 inches) producing a 2cm hole in a human skull?

A) Likely
B) Highly likely
C) Impossible
D) Possible
E) Unlikely
F) Highly unlikely
G) Certain

Thanks!

Unobtanium
03-28-2022, 05:27 AM
My experience is that peoppe shot in the head, unless it is a high velocity or supremely violent event (shotgun in mouth, .44, etc), the wounds bleed a ton and gray matter oozes. There is no "hole" per se that one looks at and says "wow, thats a 1/2" hole!" But of course, you may be asking about the raw data of it. "Will a .22 create a 2cm diameter hole in an adult human skull?" To which I would reply "this is extremely doubtful, however, gunshot wounds are unique and dynamic events, and the human skull is a complex anatomical structure."

Hambo
03-28-2022, 05:48 AM
That's an interesting first post. Are you a defense attorney working on a budget?

Zincwarrior
03-28-2022, 07:12 AM
I am new to this forum and am looking for some feedback from the group to the following question:

What is the likelihood of a .22 round fired from a pistol at point blank range (no further away than 3 inches) producing a 2cm hole in a human skull?

A) Likely
B) Highly likely
C) Impossible
D) Possible
E) Unlikely
F) Highly unlikely
G) Certain

Thanks!
If its a slavic skull like mine, impossible. Otherwise, this is a strange thread...

SWAT Lt.
03-28-2022, 07:19 AM
That's an interesting first post. Are you a defense attorney working on a budget?

That is an odd question. Maybe you can enlighten us as to why you are requesting such feedback?

JCN
03-28-2022, 07:22 AM
Dried skull alone sitting on a bench maybe.

Live skull with scalp and live membranes? Highly doubtful.

4RNR
03-28-2022, 08:52 AM
What if the owner of the skull doesn't identify as human?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Glenn E. Meyer
03-28-2022, 10:11 AM
This question will be answered by paleoanthropologists in about a million years from fossilized skulls of our long lost 'civilization'. There will be a debate between LA Man, Detroit Man and Chicago Man skull fragments.

If the request is serious - use google scholar as there is a lot of research on bullet impact on skulls.

OlongJohnson
03-28-2022, 10:34 AM
Depending on the angle, it can do a scalp ride and end up on the other side, outside the skull but under the flesh, without penetrating.

okie john
03-28-2022, 11:41 AM

$10 says EU novelist.

Okie John

Cheap Shot
03-28-2022, 12:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txOqq5D-oIk

Because science

Kirk
03-28-2022, 08:30 PM
I don’t know man, been on this forum a long time and this is a really weird first post.

parishioner
03-28-2022, 08:39 PM
That is an odd question. Maybe you can enlighten us as to why you are requesting such feedback?

Probably due to the highly specific parameters set forth.