PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 940 Tactical

Bigghoss
03-22-2022, 01:39 AM
Mossberg has a tactical version of the 940 out that looks promising.

https://youtu.be/BJrAVbbU94w

03RN
03-22-2022, 05:57 PM
I am a die hard Mossberg fan. Their semi's are meh.

Bigghoss
03-23-2022, 03:33 AM
Another TFB video. The Mossberg rep says the LOP only goes down to 13" which is still a little long IMO. I'm a big dude and I still like my shotguns to be about 12.5". I would like to see the LOP be 12" or less on the low end. It would also be nice if the handguard itself had MLOK on it. I'm still watching with interest though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNDMV6jLFj4

Centerfire
03-23-2022, 07:32 AM
I've never cared much for Mosberg. My buddy has a 930 and it feels like every other Mosberg I've ever handled. His 930 doesn't work very well either. I'm sure the 940 won't feel any different but on paper it seems to have a lot going for it. Hopefully other shotgun manufacturers take notice and start milling their receivers for RDS too.

jlw
03-23-2022, 07:42 AM
Interesting, but I'll wait until the beta testing is complete...

JTMcC
03-23-2022, 09:34 AM
I've been hoping for Mossberg to solve the riddle of semiauto's for quite a while, Once they do, I'm buying.
We'll know before long how these work out.

358156hp
03-30-2022, 10:07 PM
Interesting, but I'll wait until the beta testing is complete...

Bummer, I really thought I wanted a 930 with all the bells & whistles. I guess it will be a Beretta, then.

I really should change my sig line to "Uncompensated Professional SIG beta tester."

Bernomad
03-31-2022, 04:53 PM
I had a 930 tactical. It was not reliable. I tried to make it work. I got rid of it quickly.

Now this 940 looks very interesting! I hope it turns out to be as good as it appears. I love that optic cut out! I have a1301 and an M4. I don’t need another semi auto, but if I did I’d be eyeballing this 940 pretty closely.

TCinVA
03-31-2022, 07:46 PM
I love the quiet admission that the 930 sucked while stating that the 940 doesn't need to be cleaned as often.

"You have to clean it less!"

My dudes, the 930's I saw in class were not paperweights because they had been shot too much without cleaning. They didn't work long enough to get dirty.

Bernomad
03-31-2022, 08:21 PM
I love the quiet admission that the 930 sucked while stating that the 940 doesn't need to be cleaned as often.

"You have to clean it less!"

My dudes, the 930's I saw in class were not paperweights because they had been shot too much without cleaning. They didn't work long enough to get dirty.

That was the case with my 930. I was really disappointed. I’m not sure if I ever made it through a magazine without a failure. Again, I hope they got it right with this 940. It sure looks good.

psalms144.1
04-04-2022, 07:53 AM
My experience with an early production 930 is what prompted me to swear I would never ever ever buy another Mossberg.

So, please, let this suck - because I don't want to break that vow. :p

04-12-2022, 02:31 PM
My experience with an early production 930 is what prompted me to swear I would never ever ever buy another Mossberg.

So, please, let this suck - because I don't want to break that vow. :p

Everyone who has done a review so far used pre-production samples. Normal production guns just hit the shelves. Maybe someone will actually review a production gun.

Bernomad
04-12-2022, 06:15 PM
Everyone who has done a review so far used pre-production samples. Normal production guns just hit the shelves. Maybe someone will actually review a production gun.

I look forward to that. Keep fingers crossed.

jlw
06-11-2022, 08:04 PM
I handled one of these the other day at a local dealer. The only thing on it, other than adding the optic, that I would immediately change would be the safety. I'd go with a steel button and detent.

Two things surprised me:

-The trigger on this model is outstanding. I have a 590A1 that has a trigger so heavy that sometimes I find myself checking to make sure the safety is off.

-The stock specs are longer than I would like, but it actually felt really good.

SpyderMan2k4
08-07-2022, 08:59 AM
I got ahold of one of these recently. Initial impressions are promising. I haven't gotten it to the range yet, so any thought has to be prefaced by "if it runs." That being said, Steve Fisher has been playing with them and has a lot of good things to say.

My initial reaction... like most semis, the assembly goes into the stock so no SGA adapters. Thankfully, the stock comes with removable spacers and 2 recoil pads, so LOP can get down to 12.5" The safety location is always loved... I need to see if the Vang Comp safety works on it, because it'll be a nice upgrade. The milling for optics is smart. It still has a drilled and tapped receiver for other options.

It comes standard with a large, knurled charging handle and a nice sized bolt release. The follower is nice and high vis, but it's really long. I was able to squeeze an extra round in the tube by going to a shorter follower. The loading port is opened up and can be twins loaded pretty easily out of the box (I've taken some edges off of my 1301s and I still can't twins load well with any of them). It obviously comes with a tube extension and is threaded for chokes.

I really hope these prove to be reliable, because it's one of the best set up shotguns I've seen out of the box, and the price is definitely right.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

08-09-2022, 11:19 AM
I got ahold of one of these recently. Initial impressions are promising. I haven't gotten it to the range yet, so any thought has to be prefaced by "if it runs." That being said, Steve Fisher has been playing with them and has a lot of good things to say.

My initial reaction... like most semis, the assembly goes into the stock so no SGA adapters. Thankfully, the stock comes with removable spacers and 2 recoil pads, so LOP can get down to 12.5" The safety location is always loved... I need to see if the Vang Comp safety works on it, because it'll be a nice upgrade. The milling for optics is smart. It still has a drilled and tapped receiver for other options.

It comes standard with a large, knurled charging handle and a nice sized bolt release. The follower is nice and high vis, but it's really long. I was able to squeeze an extra round in the tube by going to a shorter follower. The loading port is opened up and can be twins loaded pretty easily out of the box (I've taken some edges off of my 1301s and I still can't twins load well with any of them). It obviously comes with a tube extension and is threaded for chokes.

I really hope these prove to be reliable, because it's one of the best set up shotguns I've seen out of the box, and the price is definitely right.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

So if it runs, how long until we see some genius Aridus products for it? ;)

Dan Carey
10-05-2022, 10:52 PM
I have a 940 and an A400. As far as rolling empty cases on the ground, I would say they are both great shotguns.

SiperTed
10-31-2022, 08:09 PM
Just picked one of these up at KYGUNCO for $850. Haven't taken it to the range yet but love the look and feel so far. We'll see, but EVERY review I've seen on this says it' A++.

I'll keep you all posted.

SiperTed
11-04-2022, 08:38 PM
Haven't taken it to the range yet but I was able to find an adapter for my Swampfox Justice. I did not want to drop $295 for a Holosun 507K since I already had an extra Swampfox Justice laying around and I like the larger 1 x 27 window. The Liberty/Justice series is an RMR footprint but the 940 is cut for RMSc sights. I was able to find a RMSc to RMR adapter at SAS Tactical for $90 instead. As you can see in the pics, it sits slightly higher but not by much - only about 3/8" or so. Also, the black of the adapter is more of a lighter matte black so at some point I'll probably take it to my Cerakote guy and have him match it up to the 940 black.

Please note that the screws that come with the adapter will NOT work on the 940! To mount the adapter to the shotgun you will need Hex Socket Flat Head Screws M3 x .50 @ 10mm but M3 x .50 @ 8mm should also work. If you go higher than 10mm you can see the screws poke out of the drilled holes inside the chamber and it prevents the bolt from being charged all the way back. Since it was metal on metal, I used Blue Loctite and 20-25lb of torque to tighten the adapter to the 940. To mount the sight to the adapter, the holes are threaded for 6-32 so for the Justice I used 6-32x 0.551" @ 14mm screws as I also had the Swampfox Ironsides Shield to go thru as well. Your length will vary, of course. I also used Blue Loctite and only used 15lb of torque to tighten down the sight.

Here are the links for the products:

RMSc to RMR Adapter: https://www.sastacticalcustoms.com/products/rmsc-to-rmr-red-dot-adapter-plate?variant=39497013887059

M3 Flat Head Screw Set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073J4CRZV

Blue Loctite: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Heavy-Duty-Threadlocker-Single/dp/B000I1RSNS/ref=asc_df_B000I1RSNS/

Swampfox Gives Active Duty Military, Veterans and Police a 30% Discount on all products at all times! FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS HERE (https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/military-law/). Do this BEFORE you buy anything.

Swampfox Justice: https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/liberty-justice

Swampfox Ironsides Shield: https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/ironsides-shield-justice

Pics: (Yes, I do see the thumbprint on the lens too :) )

96645 96646 96647 96648 96649

awp_101
11-05-2022, 01:58 PM

awp_101
12-10-2022, 10:20 PM
So these have been out on the street for over 6 months now. Early adopters, how are they holding up so far? TCinVA, have you seen any come through a class yet?

TCinVA
12-11-2022, 09:53 AM
I've not encountered one in class yet.

SiperTed
12-11-2022, 10:14 AM
I finally was able to take mine out last Sunday and put about 150 rounds thru it. It ate everything I gave it from lighter loads at 1145 FPS (Federal Flite Control 8 pellet) to Hornaday Critical Defense @ 1600 FPS. All of the shells were 00 Buck.

The only issue I had with it is that the polymer MLOK clamp on the barrels moved forward. I have my Olight Odin Mini attached to it and had I shot it further I feel the clamp would have completely flown off:

I called Mossberg directly and asked what the deal was. They said to tighten it down with 4# of torque. I would think that it would have already been tightened correctly coming from the factory but maybe - JUST MAYBE - it wasn't or it loosened during shipping. Other than that, the shotgun performed flawlessly for me and is my new favorite (I also have a RIA VR80). It just feels good too.

SiperTed
12-11-2022, 12:29 PM
For those that may also have a Olight Odin (https://www.olightstore.com/odin-black7.html) or Odin Mini (https://www.olightstore.com/odin-mini.html), that is an Ariska Defense Side Scout Mount (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RXTQWYQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) that the light is mounted too. Not sure if a lot of people know this but the Odin actually has the Scout footprint if you're not using their included adapter.

You COULD try to mount the light directly to the MLOK clamp but the problem is you have to take the clamp completely off in order to do so. So that means it becomes a PIA to remove the light too. Also, the light then interferes with the clamp screws so you would most certainly need a 90 degree Allen wrench to mount it back onto the barrel. You also cannot use the 45 degree offset mount that comes with the Odin because the Mossy does not have a handguard like an AR15 where it could curve around to the 4 or 5 O'Clock positions, so that leaves you only being able to mount it in the upward 11 O'Clock position and that CLEARLY gets in the way of the your sight, whether you're using a Red Dot or Not. The light basically becomes a blind spot in this scenario.

And while the Ariska is a bit pricey, it's the only one that I could find that would work with the clamp on the Mossberg. However, it's a solid, well-crafted piece of aluminum. The Ariska mount cleared all my issues up because it is short enough that it doesn't interfere with the bottom of the clamp (despite the inward tilt) and it allows you to mount it at the 3 O'Clock position which doesn't block your vision (as you can see in my picture above) at all.

Pnut
12-12-2022, 02:11 PM
I had the same problem with a SureFire Scout attached to the factory composite clamp on my 1301.

From your pics, it looks like there is a recessed cutout on the mag tube for the clamp to sit in. Make sure it’s seated in there.

If that doesn’t work, you could try lining the inner surface of the clamp with some rubber friction tape.

The solution I went with on my 1301 was to get rid of the clamp. I now use a GGG pic rail section that fits between the tube extension and clamp my light and a sling stud to it.

SiperTed
12-12-2022, 08:06 PM
I had the same problem with a SureFire Scout attached to the factory composite clamp on my 1301.

From your pics, it looks like there is a recessed cutout on the mag tube for the clamp to sit in. Make sure it’s seated in there.

If that doesn’t work, you could try lining the inner surface of the clamp with some rubber friction tape.

The solution I went with on my 1301 was to get rid of the clamp. I now use a GGG pic rail section that fits between the tube extension and clamp my light and a sling stud to it.

Hey! Thanks for the tips!

Yeah, the clamp WAS seated within the recessed cutout to begin with and by the end of the hour it moved that far forward. I tightened it down with 5# of pressure and will head out to the range later on this week and see if it stays on. If it doesn't, I'm going to try your ideas.

Pnut
12-12-2022, 10:04 PM
If it still walks out of the recess even with the correct torque specs, you could use some heat shrink tubing. Just put a small band at the front edge of the recess to increase the lip that the clamp rests against. I like using marine grade tube because it adds a heat activated adhesive to prevent any movement.

SiperTed
12-12-2022, 10:11 PM
If it still walks out of the recess even with the correct torque specs, you could use some heat shrink tubing. Just put a small band at the front edge of the recess to increase the lip that the clamp rests against. I like using marine grade tube because it adds a heat activated adhesive to prevent any movement.

That's a great idea, actually! You have any links to tubing you use?

Pnut
12-12-2022, 11:43 PM
I discover the tubing at a boating store but if you check Amazon, search for DUAL WALL SHRINK TUBE or ADHESIVE LINED SHRINK TUBE.

awp_101
12-13-2022, 07:34 PM
So these have been out on the street for over 6 months now. Early adopters, how are they holding up so far? TCinVA, have you seen any come through a class yet?

LHS, how about y'all? Any come through class yet?

LHS
12-14-2022, 01:23 AM
LHS, how about y'all? Any come through class yet?

I saw one being used at the Thunderstick Summit (I think Fisher brought it and lent it to a student), and didn't see any issues with it, but I also wasn't paying much attention to it on account of teaching and learning :)

idahojess
01-20-2023, 04:25 PM
Good price at $899.

I'm surprised there are guns left in Oregon, but it may be easier for the dealer to ship. I have a top-tang safety habit -- and who knows what the law will be in my state in a bit.

https://www.nwarmory.com/product/mossberg-85152-m940-pro-tactical-12-ga-optic-ready-18.5-7-rd

SiperTed
01-20-2023, 05:00 PM
Good price at $899.

I'm surprised there are guns left in Oregon, but it may be easier for the dealer to ship. I have a top-tang safety habit -- and who knows what the law will be in my state in a bit.

https://www.nwarmory.com/product/mossberg-85152-m940-pro-tactical-12-ga-optic-ready-18.5-7-rd

That's a good price. Someone should snatch that up quick. I haven't seen it for less than $850.

idahojess
01-28-2023, 07:15 PM
The folks at Northwest Armory shipped quick, within a few days of ordering.

I'm sure they are buried in transactions down in Portlandia. Good service.

I got it out to my range (in cold, windy eastern Oregon) and ran some rounds through it today. I'm a recoil wimp, and I don't have a lot of buckshot on hand, so I shot two boxes of bird shot and about five rounds of 00 buck.

I have the small recoil pad on, which does seem to be right at a 12.5 inch L.O.P. My Hogue youth stock on my Mossberg 590 comes in a little under 12, with a little larger recoil pad. Nevertheless, this gun is way easier to run for me.

The 940 choked a bit on the first box, which was very low recoil 9-shot birdshot/target Estate stuff rated at 1145 fps. It ran better toward the end of the box, after I put some lube in the bolt area. I then ran a slightly warmer federal birdshot load, rated at 3 dram, or 1200, fps with no problems. The Estate buckshot was rated at 1300 fps and ran fine. It did seem to hit a little high at 10 yards, but it was probably me.

I called it after 55 rounds as it was pretty cold out, and I was starting to do the muzzle dip when pulling the trigger.

It seems like a nice gun for me so far. I do have years of carrying shotguns in the field with that safety location, so I hope it works out. If it proves good to go I'll put a red dot on it.

idahojess
01-29-2023, 09:04 PM
I took the 940 out again today. It was about 28 degrees out and sunny. I put about 60 rounds through it. It struggled with the lower velocity (1145) estate bird shot again, so I didn't put much of that through.
It ran another box of the 1200fps/3 dram federal bird shot just fine, with no problem.
It ran the Estate 00 buckshot rated at 1300 fps just fine -- about 9 of those was all I had left. It grouped high again. Cases were chucked out vigorously. I wish I could find some more of that -- it was a good buy when I bought in 2016. I think it is off the market though.

I ran five federal personal defense 00 buckshot rounds through. This is rated at 1145 fps, but the action cycled fine. Nice tight patterns, so I assume it had a flightcontrol wad in it. The photo below has two shots, one at the 0, one at the -1:

I ran 10 Winchester Defense 00 through it. The box rated it at 1145fps, and it did not cycle well at all. It didn't pattern well either. One shot group -- I'm sure I pushed left, but wow:

So the magic number for velocity right now (with only about 110 rounds through it) is probably greater than 1200 fps, with 1300 better. I picked up some 1245 fps trap loads at the local bi-mart so I'll try those next time the weather doesn't suck and I have a day off.

I did notice that the action was difficult to open when I had a round chambered. The chamber may be sticky or it may have been the cold (or both). I'm sure that affected the cycling of the lower velocity rounds.

idahojess
02-12-2023, 01:04 AM
So the okay news and the bad news:

I gave the gun a good cleaning and ran another 10 rounds through it last weekend and about 70 rounds through it today.
The good news is that it seems to cycle the federal buckshot fine, and ran another 10 rounds of "mili" Canadian made buckshot fine as well. It also cycled a heavy birdshot load that I think I inherited. This old Winchester stuff has some thump to it:

It is intermittent with the light trap loads still. The new Winchester stuff that I bought at bi-mart is one-once at 1275 fps, and really didn't run well. It is probably not great ammo to begin with. The Estate trap stuff is a little lighter at 1145 and less than an once, and it seemed to run a little better. Mossberg recommends one once at 1200 fps minimum.
Where it chucks them out is dependent -- the buckshot and heavier loads were nice and far out.

The bad issue that I'm having, and the reason I only put about 10 rounds through it last weekend, is that it is very difficult to manually cycle a loaded round, which I noticed a couple weekends ago on the second time out. It's not to the point of needing a mallet, but it is very stiff when loaded, and I need to smack it/reef on it to get the loaded round out.

This does not occur with an aluminum snap cap, but only loaded rounds. The aluminum snap cap cycles easily -- I checked it when I first got the gun. I figured a cleaning with less lube might solve the issue, but when that didn't work, I lubed the bolt, locking area etc. quite well. It still is an issue and not really very reassuring, since I don't have a clearing barrel in my house.... (I'm not loading the gun at home at this time obviously).

My guess is that the chamber needs polishing, but it doesn't really feel rough to the touch. So, I'm not sure what exactly what is occurring. When hand cycling, the bolt comes back a slight amount, but then stops. The locking lug appears to clear out of the recess just fine, but then the bolt stops and needs a smack. I figured I would run it today and see if it loosened up, but it just hasn't.

Mossberg has offered to send a shipping label, and I think that is the route I will take.

The mystery is why it is so difficult to manually clear a loaded round from the chamber. It's pretty consistent, too, low brass, high brass, buckshot, whatever. I'm not counting out operator error, here, either. . .

TCinVA
02-13-2023, 09:18 AM
The mystery is why it is so difficult to manually clear a loaded round from the chamber. It's pretty consistent, too, low brass, high brass, buckshot, whatever. I'm not counting out operator error, here, either. . .

That is puzzling. If something in the trigger plate was retarding the function of the bolt you'd think it would impact the shooting function of the gun, not just manual operation of the bolt.

idahojess
02-13-2023, 03:32 PM
That is puzzling. If something in the trigger plate was retarding the function of the bolt you'd think it would impact the shooting function of the gun, not just manual operation of the bolt.

Thanks, it really doesn't make sense to me. It manually cycles an a-zoom snap cap fine. As another, possibly irrelevant test, I've removed the barrel and dropped a loaded shell into the chamber, and it falls out fine. I haven't whacked it into the chamber though, so that may be the flaw in that test.

Anyway, I do have a label, and I will be getting it back to Texas.

Navin Johnson
02-13-2023, 03:42 PM
Thanks, it really doesn't make sense to me. It manually cycles an a-zoom snap cap fine. As another, possibly irrelevant test, I've removed the barrel and dropped a loaded shell into the chamber, and it falls out fine. I haven't whacked it into the chamber though, so that may be the flaw in that test.

My 500 had sticky extraction with some rounds. I think it’s a Mossy thing

idahojess
02-13-2023, 03:53 PM
My 500 had sticky extraction with some rounds. I think it’s a Mossy thing

Did it have trouble with unfired rounds? I've certainly seen it before with fired rounds, (Mossys and cheap 870's) after the hull has expanded. This occurs with loaded unfired rounds.

Which can be a bit sweat inducing.

Navin Johnson
02-13-2023, 04:58 PM
Did it have trouble with unfired rounds? I've certainly seen it before with fired rounds, (Mossys and cheap 870's) after the hull has expanded. This occurs with loaded unfired rounds.

Which can be a bit sweat inducing.

Seems mostly was fired shells that I recall

Sold for more than I paid during vid

Got 1301 never looked back

EzGoingKev
03-10-2023, 02:55 PM

Any updates on this?

idahojess
03-10-2023, 03:22 PM
Mossberg was prompt in sending a prepaid shipping label and I shipped it to them. There was a bit of a delay in me getting it boxed up, finding time to arrange pickup, etc.

Mosssberg did acknowledge receipt the next business day after it arrived, so I don't have any concerns about customer service. They did say it could be about 6-8 weeks, so, hopefully, I will know more by the end of the month.

idahojess
03-24-2023, 09:04 PM
Any updates on this?

Mossberg put a new barrel assembly on it and shipped it back, and I received it today. Only a three week turnaround at their factory, so I don't have any complaints there at all.

They noted the original had a bad gas cylinder. The shipping label indicates they put 8 rounds of buck, 8 rounds of 2 3/4 field loads and 14 rounds of 3 inch field loads through.

I'll test it hopefully soon. The issue that I was having was manually cycling a loaded round, but I will check that at the shooting range. No issue with cycling an aluminum a-zoom snap cap, but it didn't have that problem before, either.

I hope it runs well-- my point in posting all the above was not to bad mouth it. It did seem like an odd issue.

idahojess
04-02-2023, 08:12 PM
I took the 940 out today with the replacement barrel, and it manually cycled/press checked rounds just fine.

With the original barrel I needed to smack the charging handle to get it unloaded or press check. Preferably with a mallet, as my hand was sore for about two weeks afterwards. Now it is easy.

I ran 56 rounds through. No issues with the below ammo. The lightweight 1145 fps estate stuff (not pictured) didn't want to cycle, but that's not an issue.