PDA

View Full Version : Question about semi auto shotgun SHELL LIFTERS?

Pnut
03-20-2022, 02:13 PM
I’ve owned a Benelli M1 for a long time and recently purchased a Beretta 1301. Both came equipped with a shell lifter with a semi-circular cutout at the forward edge. If not loading carefully, your thumb can get jammed up by this feature.

I know their are aftermarket replacements lifters that delete this feature. My question is what is the purpose for this cutout??? I figure the engineers that designed the guns put it there for a reason, but I can’t think of any practical purpose for it! Can someone enlighten me?!?!?

OlongJohnson
03-20-2022, 02:35 PM
No answer for your question, but I can say I've made a couple loading gates and lifters vastly less likely to snag your thumb and hold it just by smoothing the sharp off the edges. Take the teeth off it and don't worry about it, I reckon. I'm not sure why some find it necessary to break out the TIG.

Pnut
03-20-2022, 03:55 PM
I remember someone telling me the purpose of the long slit that runs along the middle of the lifter. It had something to do with clearing a jam by inserting a screwdriver in it to push shells forward?!? Still at a loss for the front cut out though…

OlongJohnson
03-20-2022, 05:15 PM
I remember someone telling me the purpose of the long slit that runs along the middle of the lifter. It had something to do with clearing a jam by inserting a screwdriver in it to push shells forward?!?

That was the way if you bumped the shell latch wrong on the early 1301 Tacticals.

WobblyPossum
03-20-2022, 06:02 PM
That was the way if you bumped the shell latch wrong on the early 1301 Tacticals.

Slightly OT, but regarding this specific malfunction, an easier way to clear this was to pull the charging handle back and hold it open with the blade of your palm while using your thumb to reach into the receiver. You just pushed the shell that was partway onto the lifter back into the mag tube. Then you pulled your hand away and the gun would chamber the remaining shell that was on the lifter. I don’t remember who first explained it on the forum but it blew a lot of our minds.

Toonces
03-21-2022, 04:46 AM
Slightly OT, but regarding this specific malfunction, an easier way to clear this was to pull the charging handle back and hold it open with the blade of your palm while using your thumb to reach into the receiver. You just pushed the shell that was partway onto the lifter back into the mag tube. Then you pulled your hand away and the gun would chamber the remaining shell that was on the lifter. I don’t remember who first explained it on the forum but it blew a lot of our minds.

I’m pretty sure it was Tom Jones. I think it’s in the mega 1301 thread, and probably lives in quotes. It would be pretty early in the thread.

mmc45414
03-21-2022, 05:49 AM
I now have a Tactical and a Comp and wonder about the cutout as well, because fiddling with them both that little cutout matters.

I also wonder about just making the lifter a little shorter rather than welding the notch.

Also, the Pro lifter for the 3" reciever guns seems to be available right now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
03-21-2022, 08:19 AM
I’m pretty sure it was Tom Jones. I think it’s in the mega 1301 thread, and probably lives in quotes. It would be pretty early in the thread.

That’s what I remembered but wasn’t sure. It was one of his many, many contributions.