PDA

View Full Version : Hackathorn Standards

JodyH
03-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Hackathorn Standards (http://pistol-training.com/drills/hackathorn-standards)

3 IPSC targets 1 meter apart and staggered heights. Low/Tall/Medium

5 yards - 1 round to each head freestyle 3 sec.
5 yards - 1 round to each head strong hand only 4 sec.
5 yards - 1 round to each body strong hand only 3 sec.
5 yards - 1 round to each body strong hand only 3 sec.

8 yards - 2 rounds to the body left target 2 sec.
8 yards - 2 rounds to the body middle target 2 sec.
8 yards - 2 rounds to the body right target 2 sec.

10 yards - El Presidente 10 sec.
10 yards - Weak hand pick up (pistol on ground, butt strong side. Flip pistol with weak hand and fire 1 round per target to each body) 5 sec.

12 to 8 - Shoot on the move, 2 to each body 5 sec.

15 yards - transition drill, 1 to each body 4 sec.

20 yards - standing to prone, 2 to each body 10 sec.

25 yards - using vertical cover and tactical order, 2 to each body tactical/retention reload, kneeling, 2 to each body 24 sec.

Maximum score is 300

5 points for an A
3 points for a C
2 points for a D

Overtime is -5 pts. per shot or deduct OT shot(s) score if known

JodyH
03-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Shot it for the first time with my new P30 (prior to today it's had 200 rounds downrange).
Scored 275
I can't wait to get some "real" sights on the P30.

jetfire
03-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Is the entire head box scored as an "A"?

jetfire
03-23-2011, 08:20 PM
I'll have to try this.

ToddG
04-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Ken ran me through this himself today.

Apparently, the version that has been popularized is not the way it was originally written. The Standards were originally written for 1st SFOD-D and a number of the strings of fire as described on the 'net are incomplete or simplified. Ken says he has the original handwritten course of fire at home and is sending it to me.

Among the differences:

The two SHO body shot strings are supposed to be fired from a retention position, no sights.

The prone position was supposed to be shot 1 on each, then you have to do a complete 360 roll right or left before putting one more on each.

The last string at 25 requires both high and low cover, you shoot 2 on each from one position, reload behind cover, then move to the other position and fire 2 on each again.

I fired it the "internet" way (I believe Ken called it the girlie way, but internet sounds better), which is how it was shot when I was at Blackwater in '09. I scored a 288, my personal best but still shy of the 290 I was aiming for. Ken shot it the original way -- which is substantially harder in many strings -- and still pulled out a 254.

NickA
04-10-2011, 08:15 PM
I scored a 288, my personal best but still shy of the 290 I was aiming for
"Girlie" way or not a 288 and a PB in front of the Man is nice..congrats! Hack sights, Hack standards, with Hackathorn- is that a Hack-trick?(see what I did there?)

ToddG
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
is that a Hack-trick?

http://stuff.pyzam.com/funnypics/3/youfunnykid.jpg

JodyH
04-10-2011, 09:24 PM
The two SHO body shot strings are supposed to be fired from a retention position, no sights.
Reminds me of the USBP CoF that still requires a hip level, bent elbow shot at 1.5 yards.
Hello... the "speed rock" is sooo 1980.

The prone position was supposed to be shot 1 on each, then you have to do a complete 360 roll right or left before putting one more on each.
aka: the "Mel Gibson"

The last string at 25 requires both high and low cover, you shoot 2 on each from one position, reload behind cover, then move to the other position and fire 2 on each again.
That would be the way I currently shoot it, and the way it's written. 2 on each from standing, retention reload, 2 on each from kneeling.

:cool:

ToddG
04-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Reminds me of the USBP CoF that still requires a hip level, bent elbow shot at 1.5 yards.
Hello... the "speed rock" is sooo 1980.

There is no requirement for a "speed rock," just that it be shot from a retention position. There's a substantial difference between getting hits this way at 1.5yd versus 5yd. Personally, I can't do it worth a damn.

aka: the "Mel Gibson"

I asked Ken about this in particular. His point -- and one adopted by the unit -- was that if you were shooting from a prone position, especially under low light, your mobility is very poor and your position is easily located. You're also all the more vulnerable because ground-hugging ricochets are going to hit you in the face instead of the shins. So once you've fired a few rounds, move.

That would be the way I currently shoot it, and the way it's written. 2 on each from standing, retention reload, 2 on each from kneeling.

I was unclear. You've got two points of cover: one a barricade and the other is "low cover" such as a barrel. There is at least a six foot gap between the two. You can start standing behind either point of cover. On the signal, you engage two on each from cover, complete a tactical reload, then move to the next piece of cover and fire two on each. The barrel can be placed on whichever side of the standing barricade, at the shooter's choice. (it's also worth noting that of all the "internet" changes, the one Ken doesn't mind is using the standing barricade for both the standing and kneeling cover points; since the time limit is so generous it probably doesn't make much difference one way or the other).

NickDrak
04-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Shot it for my first time ever today with a 264. Im happy with that. I need to work on my "El Prez" though:eek: