PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to the HK slim 9?

hk45
03-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Did the idea die on the vine? HKPRO has had nothing about it in almost a year.

Inkwell 41
03-07-2022, 08:32 PM
It’s on the shelf next to the 5.56x45 Glock carbine that had patent drawings pop up on the internet last year and had a YouTube video talking about it. Same row that the Vltor Bren Ten clone is in, just a bit further down the aisle.

GJM
03-07-2022, 09:31 PM
As I recall, HK Pro had a thread with a partial picture just a month or so ago. Thought I understood it was to be introduced at NRA but who knows whether that is NRA this year, next year or the year after.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
03-08-2022, 02:58 AM
As I recall, HK Pro had a thread with a partial picture just a month or so ago. Thought I understood it was to be introduced at NRA but who knows whether that is NRA this year, next year or the year after.

It looks like this, no?

https://pistol-forum.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=192 0,fit=scale-down/https://www.hkpro.com/attachments/8792a362-1e1e-4912-9e98-a112ef4391e5-jpeg.317774/

Sig_Fiend
03-08-2022, 10:34 AM
I'm sure it'll be released in the next 1-3yrs. It will, of course, be the last to the party as per usual. Regardless, it will probably be the most reliable and have the toughest and most reliable mags of anything in that class. People may geek out over other guns having an individual spec or feature be a 9 out of 10. This one may only be a 7 or 8 out of 10, but across the board in most specs. We'll, of course, have to wait another 5-7yrs for the potential of an "XL" version of the thing.

I just hope they don't include those god-awful "charging supports". ;)

RAM Engineer
03-08-2022, 02:30 PM

Got a link? I don't go to HK Pro.

SD
03-08-2022, 02:55 PM
NRA- Not Ready Again

Archer1440
03-08-2022, 03:05 PM
Got a link? I don't go to HK Pro.

The picture is literally a closeup of the heel of the grip, to show how closely it conforms to the drawing (which it matches precisely).

And you would be wise to stay out of that thread.

RAM Engineer
03-08-2022, 03:27 PM
https://uspto.report/patent/grant/D918,328#D00000

The original patent drawing that kicked everything off.

Polecat
03-09-2022, 07:43 PM
A lot of conjecture. I think end of this month, as there is a special range day for HK coffee drinkers in Orlando, where part of the course is an armorers session and range session with a new HK platform, the gun supposedly was to debut at a similar range day last fall. I would bet it went something like this: “ Uh, what do mean it hold 7 rounds and has no optic…” so, back to drawing board!

There was also post on reddit about it wherein an “insider” stated it was a 10 round, and size was 1:1 of P365? Another stated 10, 12, and 15 rnd extentions, but who knows.

Hopefully CZ, FN, Beretta can offer their little ones with more capacity and optic readiness!

There is also a Steyr design for CCW in the works, rep said probably next year!

Keep ‘em coming!

MattyD380
03-09-2022, 09:46 PM
Looking at the grip straight-on, it might be a double / stack-and-half kind of a deal. I feel like a straight-up single stack would have a narrower grip? But maybe not.

I’m intrigued because I think HK makes good, high-quality shit. Though I think the lack of a manual safety will be a no-go for me. Unless the trigger is legit DAO.

Polecat
03-09-2022, 11:03 PM
I have a love hate thing with HK. I trust them more than others. You can bet you can take a random sample take it out of the box and blaze away. You won’t get this: “ what type of ammo were you using, did you break it in, did you oil it, maybe you were limp wristing.” None of that, because it will work! You won’t be a beta tester amd they won’t do dumb shit to it like crap gold triggers and barrel, rainbow finishes. They will work. My frustration is with there seeming forever cycle of resting on their laurels and late to the game. Think if they would be as responsive as Walther, etc. They habe gotten much better from a CS standpoint since being in Columbus.

MattyD380
03-09-2022, 11:18 PM
Yeah, HKs are engineering masterpieces. They have certain functional elegance to them--all the ones I've had (3) were 100% reliable. The definitely seem "professional grade."

I just never felt like I shot them as well as Sigs and Berettas. Or 3rd gens.

Hot Sauce
03-09-2022, 11:48 PM
I have a love hate thing with HK. I trust them more than others. You can bet you can take a random sample take it out of the box and blaze away. You won’t get this: “ what type of ammo were you using, did you break it in, did you oil it, maybe you were limp wristing.” None of that, because it will work! You won’t be a beta tester amd they won’t do dumb shit to it like crap gold triggers and barrel, rainbow finishes. They will work. My frustration is with there seeming forever cycle of resting on their laurels and late to the game. Think if they would be as responsive as Walther, etc. They habe gotten much better from a CS standpoint since being in Columbus.

Speaking of ever responsive Walther, where's the rumor thread for a PPS XL 1.5 stack?

YVK
03-10-2022, 01:02 AM
You won’t get this: “ what type of ammo were you using....” None of that, because it will work!

You sure? Because I've lost count on HKPRO threads where "My P-something or VP-something don't work" is countered with "Break it in with Nato milspec ammo, that's what it was designed for".

Sig_Fiend
03-10-2022, 02:18 AM
My frustration is with there seeming forever cycle of resting on their laurels and late to the game. Think if they would be as responsive as Walther, etc.

The difficulty for a manufacturer is finding a balance between speed of iteration vs product maturity. Too much too fast and problems will snowball. Too little too late, and you're irrelevant.

I love the fact that I can take a 2022 VP9 17rd mag and put it in a 26 year old USP9 Compact, and it will run reliably. That's a contrived example but, I'm sure you get the point.

I'm glad HK doesn't compromise on their engineering. I also like that SIG moves fast and breaks things. Doesn't inspire as much confidence for me personally but, the speed and prolific releases are certainly changing the industry generally for the better. I love that there are manufacturers somewhere in between, like Walther, trying to innovate a bit faster while still not compromising much on engineering. I say appreciate them all for their differences.

Bucky
03-10-2022, 04:44 AM
The difficulty for a manufacturer is finding a balance between speed of iteration vs product maturity. Too much too fast and problems will snowball. Too little too late, and you're irrelevant.

I love the fact that I can take a 2022 VP9 17rd mag and put it in a 26 year old USP9 Compact, and it will run reliably. That's a contrived example but, I'm sure you get the point.

I'm glad HK doesn't compromise on their engineering. I also like that SIG moves fast and breaks things. Doesn't inspire as much confidence for me personally but, the speed and prolific releases are certainly changing the industry generally for the better. I love that there are manufacturers somewhere in between, like Walther, trying to innovate a bit faster while still not compromising much on engineering. I say appreciate them all for their differences.

It’s good to have both ends of the spectrum. Sig shows what can be done, then others show how it can be done right. ;)

RJ
03-10-2022, 07:59 AM
My butthurt over HK failing to ever offer a VP9c that takes USPc 13 round mags aside, I wish them well, if they do eventually release this new pistol. Before I switched over to Glock Gen 5's in 2017, I had both a VP9 and P30SK LEM V1. I liked both of them very much, but couldn't really wrap my head around carrying the LEM and using the VP9 in USPSA at the same time.

Paddle or button, don't care (I expect (and would like, being a lefty) paddles, but I can make do with a button.) My main criteria would be a thin, "full" size grip (for me, a "full size" grip means about 4 1/2" or so; my P365X grip fits perfect with no overlap or lost space. I could deal with 10 rounds in a stack and a half SFA design with HK fit and finish...I would be tempted of course, but I'm always tempted by new shiny things...

JonInWA
03-10-2022, 09:08 AM
You sure? Because I've lost count on HKPRO threads where "My P-something or VP-something don't work" is countered with "Break it in with Nato milspec ammo, that's what it was designed for".

A valid criticism, but basically seemingly pertaining to the VP9 when they switched from the original lighter recoil spring to the OEM one in the VP40. The heavier spring needed some operational cycling to achieve its set-hence the break-in period. Once broken in with set achieved, the issue goes away. Best achieved with 124gr ammunition.

Best, Jon

WobblyPossum
03-10-2022, 10:00 AM
A valid criticism, but basically seemingly pertaining to the VP9 when they switched from the original lighter recoil spring to the OEM one in the VP40. The heavier spring needed some operational cycling to achieve its set-hence the break-in period. Once broken in with set achieved, the issue goes away. Best achieved with 124gr ammunition.

Best, Jon

I don’t know about that. I remember the same amount of complaints regarding P30s. People always had the same answer: have you tried hotter ammo because it’s designed for NATO loads?

RAM Engineer
03-10-2022, 10:27 AM
I would bet it went something like this: “ Uh, what do mean it hold 7 rounds and has no optic…” so, back to drawing board!

There was also post on reddit about it wherein an “insider” stated it was a 10 round, and size was 1:1 of P365? Another stated 10, 12, and 15 rnd extentions, but who knows.

No low-profile light rail either.

rjohnson4405
03-10-2022, 12:22 PM
No manual safety options ever either...I'd love to buy HK only but they just don't make what I (think I) need.

TheNewbie
03-10-2022, 12:32 PM
Are the USPs more tolerant of ammo than the VP9/P30?

JonInWA
03-10-2022, 12:50 PM
I don’t know about that. I remember the same amount of complaints regarding P30s. People always had the same answer: have you tried hotter ammo because it’s designed for NATO loads?

I also suspect that it may have significantly to do with bullet weight; European 9mm platforms seem to be designed more around 124 gr than 115 gr or 147 gr. In my observations, 9mm ball ammunition shooters tend to go to 115 gr, presumavly based on availability and price. In the past, the larger "value" boxes of genaric 9mm ball (100 rds +) tended to be 115 gr.

Best, Jon

Sig_Fiend
03-10-2022, 01:24 PM
I'd take HKBro with a grain of salt. Last I saw, a significant number of their most experienced and knowledgeable members have been banned or left.

In my experience, most of the ammo-related issues I've ever seen with the USP, P2K, P30, or VP series have been aluminum or steel case trash ammo.

How much of that is due to the case type versus light loads is anyone's guess. I would say the two different RSA designs (dual recoil spring vs buffer) are less tolerant of low-powered ammo.

Yes, that means there's not quite as wide of a margin for failure as some platforms. I wouldn't consider that a "problem" per se. Just a conscious design limitation people need to take into account.

Tuefelhunden
03-10-2022, 01:38 PM
I'd take HKBro with a grain of salt. Last I saw, a significant number of their most experienced and knowledgeable members have been banned or left.

In my experience, most of the ammo-related issues I've ever seen with the USP, P2K, P30, or VP series have been aluminum or steel case trash ammo.

How much of that is due to the case type versus light loads is anyone's guess. I would say the two different RSA designs (dual recoil spring vs buffer) are less tolerant of low-powered ammo.

Yes, that means there's not quite as wide of a margin for failure as some platforms. I wouldn't consider that a "problem" per se. Just a conscious design limitation people need to take into account.

Agreed. I am mostly committed to the HK platform. Occasionally a brand new gun will initially bobble on 115 gr or weak ammo while the previous or next mag full of hotter hollow points run fine. By bobble I mean a single failure to eject. Only had it happen on one or two new P2000's. I've never had one not settle in though after a few mags or some time locked open to loosen up the spring. I would trust any of them to run 100% right out of the box with normal duty ammo.

Archer1440
03-10-2022, 01:38 PM

Five P30 platform pistols, eight VP platform pistols, an HK45, a pair of P7’s, and three USP platform pistols, and I have yet to experience any sort of malfunction of any kind (that was not deliberately induced as a part of a training class). I have something on the order of a quarter-million rounds through various HK’s since the mid 1990’s. Some years 50,000 rounds, some less than 2500. Have literally always had every HK I have ever shot go bang every time.

Could it be there is operator error in the cases you cite? Cheap reloads? Misinstalled primers?

In my experience, all of my HK pistols always go *bang*, every time. But I don’t use steelcase Russkie ammo, reloads of dubious origin, or load my mags backwards, for that matter.

I can’t say that about the Springfield customs, Colts, and SIGs in my safe (though my SA Professionals came close).

(Now watch me screw up at our next match… ;))

Ndbbm
03-10-2022, 01:53 PM
“But this is by no means the last addition to the SFP9 OR family! Developments are already underway for
another variant. The SFP 9 CC (Concealed Carry) is coming. This is also a 9x19mm weapon, but with a single stack magazine. If this catches your interest, you will have to be patient, because it is not projected to be market ready before 2024.

Alexander Straube”

This snippet was just posted over on (removed because I messed up, see the post below for the correct link) the article about Holosun making a Scs red dot to fit a VP9 OR.

Jason

Archer1440 thanks for fixing that.

Archer1440
03-10-2022, 02:09 PM
“But this is by no means the last addition to the SFP9 OR family! Developments are already underway for
another variant. The SFP 9 CC (Concealed Carry) is coming. This is also a 9x19mm weapon, but with a single stack magazine. If this catches your interest, you will have to be patient, because it is not projected to be market ready before 2024.

Alexander Straube”

This snippet was just posted over on www.thefirearmsblog.com in the article about Holosun making a Scs red dot to fit a VP9 OR.

Jason

Correct URL is www.thefirearmblog.com. Yours points to a fake page due to the (understandable and minor) typo.

Specific article is here: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/03/10/enforce-tac-2022-hk-sfp9-or-holosun/

I’m not sure how much weight to put on the statement of this German freelance blogger.

YVK
03-10-2022, 02:22 PM
Five P30 platform pistols, eight VP platform pistols, an HK45, a pair of P7’s, and three USP platform pistols, and I have yet to experience any sort of malfunction

(Now watch me screw up at our next match… ;))

Ive had similar experience, although I did have 11 stoppages over 26K rounds on my main p30. And broken parts on it and the P7 within modest round counts.
That said, I am less convinced in superiority of HK engineering now than I was then. Although they never lose on style points

Archer1440
03-10-2022, 02:27 PM
Ive had similar experience, although I did have 11 stoppages over 26K rounds on my main p30. And broken parts on it and the P7 within modest round counts.
That said, I am less convinced in superiority of HK engineering now than I was then. Although they never lose on style points

Well, you do shoot faster than I do, after all…

And you have to admit, I did stay dry that day too.

4RNR
03-10-2022, 03:03 PM
Five P30 platform pistols, eight VP platform pistols, an HK45, a pair of P7’s, and three USP platform pistols, and I have yet to experience any sort of malfunction of any kind (that was not deliberately induced as a part of a training class). I have something on the order of a quarter-million rounds through various HK’s since the mid 1990’s. Some years 50,000 rounds, some less than 2500. Have literally always had every HK I have ever shot go bang every time.

This has been my experience as well through about half dozen different HKs, mostly USPs. Although I do shoot mostly steel case I have yet to see a malfunction.

And if you load the ammo backwards you turn a 115gr into a 124!!! Save money and get NATO like performance!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TC215
03-10-2022, 05:57 PM

My P30 definitely had issues with 115gr ammo when it was new. 124gr did fine.

DMCutter
03-10-2022, 10:40 PM
A couple months back I had a bad day at the range with my RMR equipped USPC9 and some Speer 115 grain range fodder. Wouldn't go more than 2 rounds without a FTE, first time I'd ever had a malf with that pistol, even suppressed. The ammo worked fine in my MR918 and MR920 so I figured it was just too weak for the HK because 124 ran just fine the same session. Admittedly, I am very slack WRT cleaning, and after a good clean and lube it cycled fine, so I think it was probably just crud in the extractor claw. Even HKs won't run forever without some maintenance.

Rex G
03-10-2022, 11:01 PM
My PSP/P7 pistols, which I carried on duty, and during personal time, worked 100% reliably. ;) That was 1985/1986. The P7/PSP was not the only single-column-mag HK pistols, at the time. Some of my colleagues had HK P9/P9s pistols.

Then, of course, it became apparent that we would die less often, if we used double-column-mag pistols. (Actually, it was the lack of duty holsters with Level 3 retention, that steered us away from those earlier HK pistols, as the old-school flap holsters were phased-out.) But, yeah, the overall market forces eventually demanded pistols that one loaded on Sunday, and fired all week, without having to reload.