PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Raven Concealment Phantom?

Frank D.
03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I was looking for some kydex a few months back to go with all my leather - my brother loves kydex and twisted my arm - and since I didn't need it urgently, figured I would check theirs out. Should be here any day now.

I'm looking for any thoughts/comments/whatever on the holster, particularly anyone who has some use on a newer one. I'll probably run it through some IDPA when I get it to shake things out.

Thanks guys!

VolGrad
03-23-2011, 12:09 PM
You won't be disappointed with the Raven. Their product/service is top notch. IF you have any issues (which would be rare) they will fix you up straight away. I currently own 3 Raven holsters (two regular, one light carrier) and a light pouch for a SureFire. They ride well, conceal well, retain well, etc. They arrived perfect out of the package.

Now, there are other quality kydex makers out there as well. Raven just gets most of the love from the online community. Not saying it's not deserved, just saying there are others out there that make a quality product and provide excellent service. They often get dismissed though as "copy cats" by those firmly set in the RCS camp.

I have been using a good bit of kydex gear from Personal Security Systems and have been quite pleased. They make a great product, provide great customer service, are slightly less expensive, and don't have as long of a wait. I don't recommend people make purchase decisions based solely on price/wait but it is a factor for some.

Frank D.
03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Good to know, thanks.

My brother has a few holsters from Peters Custom and loves them. I can't remember where I saw it, but Tom from Raven posted somewhere actually recommending a Peter's holster for those that wanted a 'battle-belt' type setup, which I thought was pretty classy on its face. So yeah, so far from everything I've seen & heard re: customer service, they are up there.

Have you had much use through yours? Any breakages, wear, etc. to speak of?

VolGrad
03-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Have you had much use through yours? Any breakages, wear, etc. to speak of?
Honestly, I won't say I've had much use yet out of each individual holster. I also only recently converted to all kydex myself (early last year perhaps).

I carry concealed daily but have been known to change holsters out depending on my attire for the day, etc. I also shoot IDPA and GSSF but due to rotation of holsters/guns no one holster has seen enough hard use to have any breakage or visible wear.

It should also be noted I tried similar style holsters from several different makers for the sole purpose of comparing them.

willowofwisp
03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
I have been carrying in Raven gear for just over a year, the holsters are awesome and work whether I am carrying concealed or shooting a PPC match or just running some drills. I have had one holster crack an ACR (which seems to happen often with the older models).

Like all things good, there is a wait and its worth it IMO. Another company to consider though is cane and derby.

SteveK
03-23-2011, 06:08 PM
One great thing about the Raven crew, if you have any issues (breakage) an email is all that it takes to get you squared away. All holsters are guaranteed for life and replacements go to the top of the work list. Tom and crew are all classy guys and believe in putting out the best product available.

YVK
03-23-2011, 06:58 PM
2 light compatible holsters, 6 mag carriers, no problems. Had to send holsters back to shave a bit of material in trigger guard area, but that was user preference, not design issue. I have heard of some breakage with earlier holsters, but I know they went with thicker kydex. CS is excellent. I like their stuff.
The only thing I don't agree with is that the wait is worth it. Worthiness is a subjective thing, but this is kydex holsters we're talking about. Granted human beings are capable of screwing up anything and everything, I don't believe that building a usable and durable kydex holster is a rocket surgery. I like Raven stuff, and I appreciate their CS, and I have another piece on order with them, but I have just given 300 bucks worth of business to three different kydex gear upstarts.

SteveK
03-24-2011, 07:45 AM
As with any popular, quality product with a high demand, wait time is an issue. We see the Raven crew on at least a monthly basis at our Sunday studies group. In talking with them they are in the process of upgrading their production facility and when everything is up and running expect waiting times to drop drastically.

Frank D.
03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Good to know, mine is in the mail (friend sending it), should be here any day now.

hoodoo_operator
03-24-2011, 06:31 PM
I don't own one, but they seem to have really good retention

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtLt74y5QwY

Arclight
04-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Mine haven't gotten heavy use yet, but I've been pleased with the products. My main one sits very flat and is comfortable to wear. It has good retention and the quality feels high. I've also been very impressed with their customer service.

I had a fit issue with my second holster from them not quite fitting right (Lefty G34 with Surefire X400, so probably not a common configuration). It was hard to get in the holster, so I sent them a note and sent it back to get tweaked. They refunded me the shipping and turned around the holster in no time, no questions asked.

I would buy from them again.

Super J
04-30-2011, 10:27 PM
I have a light compatible holster for my G17 with x300 and I'm very pleased with it. When I first got it I did not care for all the retention which I thought was too much. A quick email to raven solved the problem as I they took it back and made the adjustments.

Good customer service and excellent communication from Tom

NickDrak
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I have been carrying my Phantom on a regular basis for the past two years now without issue. I carry my M&P9 fs in a CCC Looper about 50-70% of the time, but when I want to carry with the x300 mounted I go to the Raven. No durability issues so far, and it is about as low-profe as you can get for a fullsize duty pistol with a weapon mounted light attached.

Frank D.
06-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Have had the holster for a few months now. Unfortunately, CCW is not allowed at my loc., but I've been using it OWB on the range extensively and I've been very impressed.

Retention is great, but the draw is excellent. Very low profile too. I might even go so far as to say this piece of plastic is worth the $80 or so ;).

Thankfully I've got around a year till I'm back stateside - this should give them some time to work on their wait times, which seems to be the only downside to this holster.

Once again, very happy with this holster.

Jameson
06-06-2011, 09:26 AM
I've been EDCing a G17 w/ Surefire X300 in a Raven Phantom for a little over a year, now.

It's amazing how well it conceals a full sized handgun with a light attached. The retention is very secure, but still allows for a very positive-feeling draw (it has just the right amount of 'stick' before giving up the gun).

One of the IWB overhooks I was using ended up snapping after ~7 months of use. The replacements I received from Raven are a newer, thicker version that look and feel much more robust. Their new OWB belt loops are also injection-molded now, and feel much stronger than the old versions. Raven appears to be very in tune to potential issues with their products, and seems to implement improvements pretty quickly.

JDM
06-06-2011, 09:28 AM
The only OWB holster I could ever effectively hide with just a Tee shirt.