PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a concealed carry nut when . . .

JHC
08-27-2012, 06:19 PM
This guy is dialed in! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGGkDitj8_U&feature=youtu.be&fb_source=message

WyoXd
08-27-2012, 10:11 PM
So much, so true!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

MDS
08-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Very funny. My wife swears she never tells me I'm not printing just to shut me up. :)

If you have to keep buying new bench vises because you keep your half-done 1911 projects locked into your old ones... you might be a gun nut!

LHS
08-28-2012, 12:10 AM
"You suck at giving hugs."

True that. I had to re-learn how to do it without giving away the blaster, and how to deflect it from people I don't want to know that I'm carrying.

Zhurdan
08-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Ahh yes, the tactical hug. Gun side arm goes low so theirs has to go high. :p

MDS
08-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Ahh yes, the tactical hug. Gun side arm goes low so theirs has to go high. :p

That works if you carry strong side. For AIWB, you have to avoid torso contact, or else take your chances with results that range from a funny look, to a suggestive wink, to a slap in the face...

Smash
08-28-2012, 10:01 AM
That works if you carry strong side. For AIWB, you have to avoid torso contact, or else take your chances with results that range from a funny look, to a suggestive wink, to a slap in the face...

The awkward high school butt out hug

Corlissimo
08-28-2012, 10:06 AM

Whaddya know... I've been doing that ever since high school.
Now I can just say that I was in AIWB training mode all these years. :p

I feel so much better about myself now. Thanks! :)

Al T.
08-28-2012, 10:40 AM
I don't hug. Not wild about shaking hands either.

ARonBoard
08-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Good to see you grandma.... Fist bump!!

Shokr21
08-28-2012, 11:50 PM

Something similar, the hip to hip hug with just one arm "hugging" we call it the "Christian Side-hug"

ford.304
08-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Some of the youtube comments aren't bad, either.

"You eat chips with your weak hand because you want to keep your strong hand clean...just in case."

Al T.
08-29-2012, 07:43 AM

That was funny! And you called it right, I do hug my Mom.

jstyer
08-29-2012, 03:34 PM

Win.

jetfire
08-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Something similar, the hip to hip hug with just one arm "hugging" we call it the "Christian Side-hug"

That's the best hug for people who don't like to be hugged. I'm a damn side-hug ninja.

CCT125US
08-29-2012, 04:59 PM
When your 6 and 4 year old know to hold daddy's left hand.....

Shokr21
08-29-2012, 05:25 PM
That's the best hug for people who don't like to be hugged. I'm a damn side-hug ninja.

Me too man, me too.

Cincinnatus
12-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but assuming one is carrying concealed strongside, right-handed, how does one avoid having someone touch your gat when shaking hands? There are some people who pat a person's side with their off hand while shaking hands; this is not malicious from these people, just a habit, like slapping on the back, etc. when being friendly.

Not shaking hands is an unacceptable alternative--think Church, etc.

Luke
12-07-2015, 06:33 PM
I shake lots of hands. Work, friends, church, strangers.. I've never had someone touch my like that while shaking hand. We're do you live? Maybe it's a cultural thing lol

BehindBlueI's
12-07-2015, 06:43 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but assuming one is carrying concealed strongside, right-handed, how does one avoid having someone touch your gat when shaking hands? There are some people who pat a person's side with their off hand while shaking hands; this is not malicious from these people, just a habit, like slapping on the back, etc. when being friendly.

Not shaking hands is an unacceptable alternative--think Church, etc.

Start a rumor you have a colostomy bag.

Cincinnatus
12-07-2015, 07:48 PM
I shake lots of hands. Work, friends, church, strangers.. I've never had someone touch my like that while shaking hand. We're do you live? Maybe it's a cultural thing lol

Texas. Not everyone does it, but some do. It's like a handshake and a back pat at the same-time, only it's low enough on your back to touch the grip of your sidearm.

SeriousStudent
12-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Texas. Not everyone does it, but some do. It's like a handshake and a back pat at the same-time, only it's low enough on your back to touch the grip of your sidearm.

Tell them you have shingles.

Cincinnatus
12-07-2015, 09:15 PM
I appreciate the humor. ;)
I think it is a cultural thing, because it's usually folks from deep country roots around here who do it. It is just one slap/pat with the off hand when shaking hands.
I suppose I could just grin and do a short-hand hand shake where I keep my elbow at my side.
I thought there might be an actual technique used to avoid that particular movement, which, in some circumstances could be almost a bump-frisk.

Luke
12-07-2015, 09:21 PM
AIWB. If they touch it while shaking hands finding your gun is probably the least of your worries.

GardoneVT
12-07-2015, 10:26 PM
When fitting room visits include a practice draw with the shirt or coat you're trying on.*

*Ensure stall door is locked to prevent snarky comments about how crappy your draw is by the staff. Or, for those in New York State, frightened staff.

runcible
12-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Proxemics are a funny skein to handle in the context of concealed weapons, applied across a range of cultures and regions.

Specific to the original question, one can take the initiative and clasp the other's forearm (same arm as the hand you shake) with one's left hand, a cue and invitation for them to reciprocate.

If the side-clasping is common to the region or culture, one can step into the handshake as hands join, collapsing the right-side elbow down over the weapon; this can be reinforced with reciprocating the side-clasp as a non-verbal justification for the closing of distance.

As far as hugs, it can be useful to hug the other from below their arms, as able; resist the urge to go for double under hooks. If only carrying gear on one side, that's really the priority side to get your arm beneath their's. Caveat: I understand HH to be on the taller side of things, but I am not. I often have to get up on my toes to give a proper hug to others, whether from their height or their bosoms. I'm not tall.

I try to work with the proxemics of my locale, but I'll be damned if some don't remain intolerable to me. Casual cupping of the face by strangers (ie. To express "oh that's so cute!") remains pretty disrespectful to me, and is responded to accordingly.

NEPAKevin
12-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Start a rumor you have a colostomy bag.

Hard core: Get a colostomy bag. Deters hugs and lets you can stay indefinitely in your sniper hide.