PDA

View Full Version : For those with an interest in Meyers-Briggs and the martial arts…

Totem Polar
02-28-2022, 09:42 PM
A buddy of mine just dropped his latest book on Amazon today: Martial Arts and Your Life: The Story of Us: A Survey of What We Do and Why, and it already grabbed me by the short hairs. The book is base on a survey that he sent to a bunch of his MA friends. I’ve only had a chance to skim it over dinner so far but, for example, I saw that my personality type (INFJ) is the smallest type by general population, but the most represented type in the martial arts. Far out. Get a load of this graph…

Default.mp3
02-28-2022, 10:59 PM
FWIW, MBTI is typically looked down upon by most academics as being more of a product of pop psychology and nothing more than pseudoscience; the Big Five (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits) tend to be a more widely accepted measure of personality.

Clusterfrack
02-28-2022, 11:38 PM
Am I the only ESTP who likes martial arts?

MickAK
02-28-2022, 11:41 PM
Am I the only ESTP who likes martial arts?

It's only 18 degrees away. That's how that works right?

Clusterfrack
02-28-2022, 11:42 PM
It's only 18 degrees away. That's how that works right?

Right. I like small circles.

Doc_Glock
03-01-2022, 12:17 PM
A buddy of mine just dropped his latest book on Amazon today: Martial Arts and Your Life: The Story of Us: A Survey of What We Do and Why, and it already grabbed me by the short hairs. The book is base on a survey that he sent to a bunch of his MA friends. I’ve only had a chance to skim it over dinner so far but, for example, I saw that my personality type (INFJ) is the smallest type by general population, but the most represented type in the martial arts. Far out. Get a load of this graph…

That is freaking interesting!

Totem Polar
03-01-2022, 06:16 PM
Another tidbit: Martial Artists evidently incarcerate at half the rate of the gen pop. Whatever that means.
:cool:

(To be fair, the survey is hundreds of his friends and associates, so probably self-selected for folks largely outside the criminal lifestyle. I’d expect that P-F incarcerates a a lesser rate than the wider population too….)