PDA

View Full Version : Who Do We Like for Jeans...

Mntneer357
02-24-2022, 05:39 PM
I didn't want to muddy the water in the "Filson Carhartt" thread. Forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I'm mid-40s-ish and live in South Carolina. I live in jeans, but I'm in a tough spot. I've been wearing American Eagle jeans for a good while. They've been inexpensive and have traditionally held up well. Regrettably, they seem to be not as well made lately (premature wear holes near rear pockets and in the taint area). To be fair, I hear that complaint about a lot of clothing companies recently.

I ordered some Factory jeans from Origin Maine and, while they were probably the most high quality, well-made jeans I've ever put on, they seemed uncomfortably snug in the crotch and most regrettably, they aren't a true boot cut and did not fit well over my cowboy boots. Call me weird, but I pretty much live in either cowboy boots or flip flops, depending on weather.

Any recommendations/suggestions? My budget is up to, say $110 or so, and my only real requirements: a true boot cut (17" leg opening) and preferably not come from a company who, as one poster so very eloquently said, "went off the woke cliff". Also, Duluth is right out, as their nearest location is 150 miles away.

Is it better to say fuck it and just accept cheap jeans that wear out? Is there some decent fitting alternative? Any news on Tecovas? Or should I transition to Kuiu pants, and accept the cost?

Thanks for listening, y'all. Cheers!

El Cid
02-24-2022, 06:44 PM
I’m interested in this topic as well. I also prefer boot cut because I often wear cowboy boots and when I don’t, I wear a G26 on one ankle and med kit on the other. This skinny jeans nonsense is not going away so quickly as I’d hoped.

I’ve also found some brands are inconsistent - some will have 3 belt loops in the back like I prefer and some with the same sku will have one.

Avoiding woke brands is nice but I’m realistic that it’s not always a reasonable option.

Flamingo
02-24-2022, 07:03 PM
Origin just bought a Jeans company in North Carolina. It will be interesting to see if they bring out more styles. I really like my Origin Jeans and I think the pockets are awesome. The pockets are made of denim and are deep enough, but not to deep. I don't think they are skinny jeans, but they aren't boot cut.

I am in the queue for two more pairs.

Hot Sauce
02-24-2022, 07:04 PM
Stretch and gusseted. On the high side of your price range.

https://shopduer.com/collections/mens-stretch-jeans

Detailed fit guide

https://shopduer.com/pages/mens-fit-guide

Clusterfrack
02-24-2022, 07:10 PM
I don’t usually wear jeans, but when I do, it’s a pair of TAD Gear Intercept jeans. SouthNarc was pimping them when I took EWO, so I had to try them. Best jeans I own. Actually the only pair I own.

https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/intercept-pd-pant/

CDW4ME
02-24-2022, 07:20 PM
Jeans? In FL? No thanks. Cargo shorts for me.
When it was below 50 degrees a couple mornings I considered cargo pants but they get in the back of my shoe, so I still wore shorts.

rd62
02-24-2022, 07:23 PM
Same age and also central SC. I've been pretty happy with my Wranglers. Reasonably priced and have held up well compared to the Levis and Eddie Bauer I've worn in the past.

UNK
02-24-2022, 07:29 PM
Have you tried Deluth?

Erik
02-24-2022, 07:33 PM
I don’t usually wear jeans, but when I do, it’s a pair of TAD Gear Intercept jeans. @SouthNarc (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=10) was pimping them when I took EWO, so I had to try them. Best jeans I own. Actually the only pair I own.

https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/intercept-pd-pant/

Any idea how these compare to Levis 501s in terms of fit, especially rise and where the waist sits? I'm dying for a decent, made in US pair of button fly jeans to replace those since I can't bring myself to buy Levis anything any more. Thanks.

Clusterfrack
02-24-2022, 07:44 PM
Any idea how these compare to Levis 501s in terms of fit, especially rise and where the waist sits? I'm dying for a decent, made in US pair of button fly jeans to replace those since I can't bring myself to buy Levis anything any more. Thanks.

I think they are a little slimmer in the legs. Waist seems similar. Not skinny jeans, but not baggy. The cloth is stretchy, and the build quality is excellent.

Erik
02-24-2022, 07:57 PM
Thank you.

Hot Sauce
02-24-2022, 07:59 PM
I think they are a little slimmer in the legs. Waist seems similar. Not skinny jeans, but not baggy. The cloth is stretchy, and the build quality is excellent.

My take--worth what you paid for it--is that 1% elastane isn't enough stretch for me. I sent them back because they were too similar to regular jeans (where I blow the crotch out) I could buy for much cheaper.

Maca
02-24-2022, 08:03 PM
Agree on Triple Aught… excellent jeans.

1911Nut
02-24-2022, 08:34 PM
Old school: Wrangler 13MWZPW. Been wearing them for at least 25 years.

Joe S
02-24-2022, 09:14 PM

This may sound weird, but how roomy is the seat/butt? Some of have junk in the trunk from loving deadlifts.

John Hearne
02-24-2022, 09:20 PM
It may not be exactly what you’re looking for but the house brand jeans from LA Police Gear have treated me really well.

TAZ
02-24-2022, 09:22 PM
Not sure what your definition of wear out time is, but I’ve worn a few pairs of LAPG Terrain Flex jeans for over a year without signs of going belly up. Only reason I got new ones is cause I lost 25# and they were baggy as hell.

Now they are definitely not made in USA or even within a thousand miles, so there is that. But @ around $40 they aren’t bad. Just wish they had a few more belt loops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baddean
02-24-2022, 10:40 PM
https://www.gusset.com/

I've worn Diamond Gusset jeans for about 15 years now and they are durable and comfortable.
Made in the USA. They always fit perfectly and come in a variety of styles.
While riding a motorcycle in these the gusset is the best feature ever. No more sitting on a big button in the crotch where all of the seams come together.

Chuck Whitlock
02-24-2022, 11:45 PM
I didn't want to muddy the water in the "Filson Carhartt" thread. Forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I'm mid-40s-ish and live in South Carolina. I live in jeans, but I'm in a tough spot. I've been wearing American Eagle jeans for a good while. They've been inexpensive and have traditionally held up well. Regrettably, they seem to be not as well made lately (premature wear holes near rear pockets and in the taint area). To be fair, I hear that complaint about a lot of clothing companies recently.

I ordered some Factory jeans from Origin Maine and, while they were probably the most high quality, well-made jeans I've ever put on, they seemed uncomfortably snug in the crotch and most regrettably, they aren't a true boot cut and did not fit well over my cowboy boots. Call me weird, but I pretty much live in either cowboy boots or flip flops, depending on weather.

Any recommendations/suggestions? My budget is up to, say $110 or so, and my only real requirements: a true boot cut (17" leg opening) and preferably not come from a company who, as one poster so very eloquently said, "went off the woke cliff". Also, Duluth is right out, as their nearest location is 150 miles away.

Is it better to say fuck it and just accept cheap jeans that wear out? Is there some decent fitting alternative? Any news on Tecovas? Or should I transition to Kuiu pants, and accept the cost?

Thanks for listening, y'all. Cheers!

I'm curious about this. The closest Duluth stores to me are 173 and 188 miles away. I order my stuff from them online and have been very satisfied. I wear the Duluthflex relaxed fit jeans... at work with cowboy boots. They are not boot cut, but they work just fine for my purposes. I wear their brown 5-pocket pants with my uniform. Exclusively wear their Buck Naked skivvies. Wear their shorts in the summertime. their products are better than anything I've found in any of the brick & mortar stores around here. I'm a stubby dude, and can get them with a 28" hem....and don't have to send them out to get hemmed like virtually every other product out there.

Jim Watson
02-25-2022, 12:24 AM
https://www.gusset.com/

I've worn Diamond Gusset jeans for about 15 years now and they are durable and comfortable.
Made in the USA. They always fit perfectly and come in a variety of styles.
While riding a motorcycle in these the gusset is the best feature ever. No more sitting on a big button in the crotch where all of the seams come together.

I am not a jeans person, still irked at Walmart for quitting their own series of Wrangler khakis, but a friend gets a regular Christmas present of Diamond Gusset motorcycle jeans with armored knees.

Clusterfrack
02-25-2022, 12:44 AM
This may sound weird, but how roomy is the seat/butt? Some of have junk in the trunk from loving deadlifts.

I like some room too, and have fairly large thighs. They fit well, and allow free movement.

JTQ
02-25-2022, 07:15 AM
I can't help with the boot cut thing, since I haven't ever worn western boots, and they don't think specify that type in their literature, but I've been a long time wearer of LL Bean jeans.

I've worn their Classic Fit https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/32863?page=double-l-jeans-classic-fit&bc=12-26-590-513284&feat=513284-GN3&csp=f&pos=1

and Natural Fit that are a little looser fit https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/32865?page=double-l-jeans-natural-fit&bc=12-26-590-513284&feat=513284-GN3&csp=f&pos=9

they have other varieties and fit.

Mntneer357
02-25-2022, 08:43 AM
I'm curious about this. The closest Duluth stores to me are 173 and 188 miles away. I order my stuff from them online and have been very satisfied. I wear the Duluthflex relaxed fit jeans... at work with cowboy boots. They are not boot cut, but they work just fine for my purposes. I wear their brown 5-pocket pants with my uniform. Exclusively wear their Buck Naked skivvies. Wear their shorts in the summertime. their products are better than anything I've found in any of the brick & mortar stores around here. I'm a stubby dude, and can get them with a 28" hem....and don't have to send them out to get hemmed like virtually every other product out there.

Thank you for your post! The reason I disqualified Duluth is because I'd like to be able to try on the prospective jeans. I don't mind buying stuff online, but with clothes, it's more of a pain in the ass. Order, get it, it doesn't fit, return by mail, watch your credit card statement so you get your money back, repeat. Ugh. I just went through that exercise with Origin Maine. Again, their jeans were amazing but didn't work for me. I've never shopped at Duluth because their nearest location is in Greensboro, NC. While I've heard their stuff has been nice, they are also one who's been mentioned as "their older stuff was better made."

vcdgrips
02-25-2022, 09:52 AM

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mens+jeans&rh=p_n_is_primewardrobe%3A15121302011&dc&crid=5MB970ZHCFN0&qid=1645800617&rnid=15121301011&sprefix=mens+je%2Caps%2C627&ref=sr_nr_p_n_is_primewardrobe_1

Amazon Prime has a number of try before you buy jean selections. You are not billed for 7 days and the package is set up to be reused as a return if an item does not work down to a pre printed shipping label. Just used it with some swim trunks. In short, your CC never even gets charged if you send it back within the 7 day window.

MistWolf
02-25-2022, 12:25 PM
I want a good pair of jeans in brown or tan that aren’t cargo pants. I’m sick of blue and black.

Shotgun
02-25-2022, 01:54 PM
Call me old-fashioned. I have been wearing Wrangler Cowboy Cut jeans for over 40 years.

Crazy Dane
02-25-2022, 02:46 PM
Call me old-fashioned. I have been wearing Wrangler Cowboy Cut jeans for over 40 years.

I get mine from Tractor Supply. The last ones I got were $28 a pair.

Stephanie B
02-25-2022, 06:24 PM
I get mine from Tractor Supply. The last ones I got were $28 a pair.

Back in the Aughts, Tractor Supply once carried a line of "Schmidt" jeans or some name close to that. They cost under $20 and wore very well. My last two pair wore out in 2021, I almost felt like holding a funeral service.

rdtompki
02-25-2022, 07:11 PM
Old school: Wrangler 13MWZPW. Been wearing them for at least 25 years.
Truth. Also, if your ride (a horse) you need jeans with the seam on the outside of the leg. I don't wear them as often after the move to Idaho: too hot in the summer and not enough room for thermal underwear in the winter.

DDTSGM
02-26-2022, 02:45 AM
Back in the Aughts, Tractor Supply once carried a line of "Schmidt" jeans or some name close to that. They cost under $20 and wore very well. My last two pair wore out in 2021, I almost felt like holding a funeral service.

In 1938, Charles E. Schmidt Sr. of Chicago, Illinois, established a mail-order tractor parts business from his kitchen table, and by 1939, it had grown into a successful retail store in Minot, North Dakota. https://corporate.tractorsupply.com/company-overview/history/default.aspx

Hence the Schmidt Workwear name. Recently, they changed the name to RidgeCut. Not sure if they changed anything else up as far as quality and design.

Tractor Supply Company’s RidgeCut

The Need
Tractor Supply Co. (TSC) needed to re-brand its C.E. Schmidt line of workwear. Competitive brands like Carhartt were out-selling C.E. Schmidt even though C.E. Schmidt workwear was priced lower for garments with the same quality and features. TSC wanted to boost its overall brand stature and image, making its brands more competitive. One way they endeavored to do this was with a more aspirational and engaging name, like Duluth or North Face.

The new name needed to be able to hit the ground running with inherent appeal and connect in some way to outdoor imagery or a rugged & tough image without alienating women. They wanted names that spoke to the pioneer, the person who makes their own rules, and enjoys the great outdoors.

The Name
After four rounds of names, “RidgeCut” rose to the top. It was the rugged, outdoorsy and compelling name needed to communicate the inherent quality, style, and functionality of the C.E. Schmidt line of workwear.

The Result
The RidgeCut line was launched in August 2019 and in January 2020 Tractor Supply announced that their new workwear brand would be expanding into footwear and accessories. They anticipate that they are on their way up the market ridge! https://www.namestormers.com/portfolio/tractor-supply-co/

xmanhockey7
02-26-2022, 03:09 AM
My Duluth Slim Fit ballroom 5 pocket jeans are by far the best jeans I’ve ever worn. Super comfortable and nice deep pockets. Cannot recommend this enough. They also make them in standard and relaxed fit. I don’t wear anything “slim” except the Duluth jeans.