PDA

View Full Version : Filson....Yeah or Nay...?

entropy
02-22-2022, 12:41 PM
I need a new mid weight work/chore coat. My old Carhartt has seen its better days and now the zipper pull broke. I looked at Shaeffer, but they’re continuously out of stock. Filson is generally the same, but with some availability.

I will not support Carhartt anymore. Shaeffer appears to be GTG (and mostly USA made which is what I will buy). What’s the opinion on Filson? There are quite a few companies these days that have gone off the woke cliff, and I refuse to support them.

Thanks

SD
02-22-2022, 12:59 PM
Waxed canvas weekender jacket (mile marker coat) approximately 20 years of seasonal field work, held up excellent. Gets a fresh application of wax as needed. If you are using this in cold temps it will get somewhat rigid, also the vest is insufficient in colder climates you need a full liner with sleeves.

Flamingo
02-22-2022, 01:27 PM
I have an old, but it still looks brand new, Filson Macinaw Cruiser. I don't know if I would plop down the $500 bucks a new one costs.

Crawls
02-22-2022, 03:27 PM
I have a good bit of Filson stuff that I've bought over the years. I generally think the build quality of their newer stuff doesn't measure up to their older stuff, and I'm not sure it's still worth the price premium. There is a definite decrease in the quality and durability of the leather used for belts and and luggage. The wool is also slightly less substantial than it used to be. I was also disappointed when they went from actual measured sizes for their outerwear to the standard S,M,L,XL. I kind of fit in a 44, but a L is too small and a XL is too big.

Fit is also worth mentioning. I'm far from the athletic build of my college and Army days, but I've found most of their items are cut for men who are better fed than I am. I have an old waxed tin cloth jacket that is so stiff and rigid that I feel like the clapper in the middle of a big bell. It's tight through the shoulders; way oversized in the waist and slaps up a against me every time I lean one way or the other.

vcdgrips
02-22-2022, 04:35 PM
Much of Filson's line is now sewn off shore i.e. The Tacoma Work Jacket is made in Sri Lanka.

https://www.filson.com/outerwear/jackets-coats/tacoma-work-jacket.html#sku=20096828-fco-005997191

Schaeffer's has multiple functional equivalents at the same or less money/sewn in the USA. No brainer in my mind.

60pilot
02-22-2022, 05:27 PM
It depends if it’s still an item made in the US, I think. I have one of their waterfowl jackets that is a few years old now and it is great, except for having shrunk a little. The replacement that I sent back had been made in Asia someplace and was a pale comparison. They’re sizing definitely runs large and I’m not super thin.

okie john
02-22-2022, 05:41 PM
I have a good bit of Filson stuff that I've bought over the years. I generally think the build quality of their newer stuff doesn't measure up to their older stuff, and I'm not sure it's still worth the price premium. There is a definite decrease in the quality and durability of the leather used for belts and and luggage. The wool is also slightly less substantial than it used to be. I was also disappointed when they went from actual measured sizes for their outerwear to the standard S,M,L,XL. I kind of fit in a 44, but a L is too small and a XL is too big.

Back when I lived a few miles from their factory and flagship store, I wore a lot of their gear and I dropped by the store every month or so. Their merchandise was rugged and durable, but wool and waxed cotton are 19th-century technology at best. Still, I bought into the legend until I wore one of their wool jackets to hunt Roosevelt elk on the Pacific coast. The rain here during elk season is like getting sprayed with a hose. The jacket kept me warm, but it also soaked up about 20 pounds of water and a bunch of green dye leached into the clothes I was wearing under it. That might have been OK had I been humping my way to Alaska during the Gold Rush, but I wasn't. After that I went to fleece and GoreTex for serious work in foul weather but still wore their gear around Seattle in cool, dry days.

Then they started selling stuff made in China.

Then they moved even more of their fabrication offshore.

Then they started selling non-clothing items like axes and knives. I have more than a passing acquaintance with tools like that and I promise you that what I saw in their showroom was designed, built, and priced for people who have never worked with their hands.

Then the flagship store went from looking like a hunting lodge to being a full-on retro hipster experience, and Filson became a fashion house like Abercrombie & Fitch.

I have given away all of my Filson gear except for two jackets. I haven't bought anything new from them in years and probably won't until they bring the jobs back home.

Okie John

DDTSGM
02-22-2022, 11:08 PM
I need a new mid weight work/chore coat. My old Carhartt has seen its better days and now the zipper pull broke. I looked at Shaeffer, but they’re continuously out of stock. Filson is generally the same, but with some availability.

I will not support Carhartt anymore. Shaeffer appears to be GTG (and mostly USA made which is what I will buy). What’s the opinion on Filson? There are quite a few companies these days that have gone off the woke cliff, and I refuse to support them.

Thanks

Would this help:

https://workwearcommand.com/chore-coats-made-in-usa/

entropy
02-23-2022, 12:28 AM
Would this help:

https://workwearcommand.com/chore-coats-made-in-usa/

Yes. Yes it would. Thanks much.

Mark D
02-23-2022, 12:46 AM

I'm done with Carhartt too. Been wearing 'em since 2000, but I won't make another purchase.

pangloss
02-23-2022, 01:09 AM
I'm done with Carhartt too. Been wearing 'em since 2000, but I won't make another purchase.What has Carhartt done? I've never purchased any if their products, but I'm curious about the negative sentiment.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

MickAK
02-23-2022, 01:16 AM
What has Carhartt done? I've never purchased any if their products, but I'm curious about the negative sentiment.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

After the vaccine mandate for large companies was struck down by the Supreme Court Carhartt decided they were keeping theirs anyways.

I've made my views on the subject more or less clear but I don't think we need to insert that stuff in clothing RFI threads.

mtnbkr
02-23-2022, 06:22 AM
I like Filson stuff, both the styling, materials, and construction. I currently have one of their tin cloth hats (Packer I think) that I've owned for about 20 years and a Mackinaw Cruiser I purchased 7-8 years ago on sale via a third party website for a third of MSRP. The coat is hella heavy duty, but mainly gets used in nasty winter weather (rain and snow) or while winter camping/hunting. That said, I've started to migrate to lighter and more compact clothing for the latter activity as the Mackinaw coat is just too heavy and bulky at times.

Chris

pangloss
02-23-2022, 08:19 AM
After the vaccine mandate for large companies was struck down by the Supreme Court Carhartt decided they were keeping theirs anyways.

I've made my views on the subject more or less clear but I don't think we need to insert that stuff in clothing RFI threads.

Thanks for the succinct explanation.

entropy
02-23-2022, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the replies.

It appears there are certain items only that Filson makes CONUS, a good portion of the stuff is imported. You have to dig into each item’s description to find that answer.

I found a Shaeffer coat online (thru a vendor) that appears to be in stock. I’m calling this morning before I order to make sure. It’s listed as USA made, and “most” of their stuff appears to be as well.

As a side note, I have an Outback Trading wax cotton coat (longer in length) that I’ve had for nearly 30 years now. It just doesn’t give up. Grouse and quail hunting, chores around the house, dinner...it’s done it all. This thread prompted me to get it out and clean it up a bit. I hit the outside with a heat gun to smooth out and remove some of the dirty wax and dirt, (yikes!) and actually cleaned the plaid liner with foam upholstery cleaner. It looks practically brand new. I was disappointed to find a “Made in Costa Rica” tag buried in the liner. I always thought it was USA made. It was purchased 3 jobs ago while on the road in State College, PA. Go figure...

Borderland
02-23-2022, 11:38 AM
Back when I lived a few miles from their factory and flagship store, I wore a lot of their gear and I dropped by the store every month or so. Their merchandise was rugged and durable, but wool and waxed cotton are 19th-century technology at best. Still, I bought into the legend until I wore one of their wool jackets to hunt Roosevelt elk on the Pacific coast. The rain here during elk season is like getting sprayed with a hose. The jacket kept me warm, but it also soaked up about 20 pounds of water and a bunch of green dye leached into the clothes I was wearing under it. That might have been OK had I been humping my way to Alaska during the Gold Rush, but I wasn't. After that I went to fleece and GoreTex for serious work in foul weather but still wore their gear around Seattle in cool, dry days.

Then they started selling non-clothing items like axes and knives. I have more than a passing acquaintance with tools like that and I promise you that what I saw in their showroom was designed, built, and priced for people who have never worked with their hands.

Then the flagship store went from looking like a hunting lodge to being a full-on retro hipster experience, and Filson became a fashion house like Abercrombie & Fitch.

I have given away all of my Filson gear except for two jackets. I haven't bought anything new from them in years and probably won't until they bring the jobs back home.

Okie John

Reminds me of REI and Eddie Bauer.

I don't know anything about the present day Filson gear because I haven't bought any in a long time. I had a bunch of it that I donated to a good will type org awhile back. Some duck hunter probably went out of his mind when he saw it. It works pretty well if you happen to work outside where things can poke you. Lots of equipment operators, timber cruisers, iron workers, carpenters and surveyors around here used to wear it. I had a lot of Gore-Tex also.

I'm sure all the metro sexual lumberjacks are flashing the name tag these days.

entropy
02-23-2022, 12:09 PM
Reminds me of REI and Eddie Bauer.

I don't know anything about the present day Filson gear because I haven't bought any in a long time. I had a bunch of it that I donated to a good will type org awhile back. Some duck hunter probably went out of his mind when he saw it. It works pretty well if you happen to work outside where things can poke you. Lots of equipment operators, timber cruisers, iron workers, carpenters and surveyors around here used to wear it. I had a lot of Gore-Tex also.

That reminds me of a Monty Python skit...

Back to shopping. The online place doesn’t have the Shaeffer after all...

JDB
02-23-2022, 01:04 PM
I used to wear Filson tin pants working in the woods in SE Alaska. They don't move that great (could use a gusseted crotch), but they wore well.

Lately I've been using Fjallraven ViddaPro pants. They are a waxed cotton/synthetic blend. Those I really like...very tough, somewhat weather resistant, but cut better for more athletic movement. Some of the models have a stretchy fabric in the crotch and back off the legs, with the stiff waxed cotton in the seat, front of the legs. It's a great combination so far.

entropy
02-23-2022, 01:30 PM
I used to wear Filson tin pants working in the woods in SE Alaska. They don't move that great (could use a gusseted crotch), but they wore well.

Lately I've been using Fjallraven ViddaPro pants. They are a waxed cotton/synthetic blend. Those I really like...very tough, somewhat weather resistant, but cut better for more athletic movement. Some of the models have a stretchy fabric in the crotch and back off the legs, with the stiff waxed cotton in the seat, front of the legs. It's a great combination so far.

Yeah, the ViddaPro’s are great. I discovered them a number of years back up in a store in AK too. Fairbanks IIRC. Had never heard of them previously. Never looked back. They’ve replaced my 5-bruh-11’s. They wear better, fit better, are certainly lighter weight and better constructed too. I like being able to adjust the ankles around boots when hiking or snowshoeing/XC skiing. I still have a pair of the original Royal Robbins pants too. They were certainly a step above what they turned into.

okie john
02-23-2022, 01:39 PM

That's the problem. Lumbersexuals vastly outnumber actual loggers these days.

Okie John

Borderland
02-23-2022, 03:20 PM
That's the problem. Lumbersexuals vastly outnumber actual loggers these days.

Okie John

Lumberjack probably has a new definition in Seattle and Portland. ;)

Shotgun
02-23-2022, 03:48 PM

Okie John

I tell the kids to get off my lawn too. I feel much the same way. There is one Filson product I still use; double tin chaps. Those are great for pheasant and quail hunting, and I don't think you can wear them out. Hate to hear about Carhartt. I have one of their western style jackets that I have had for years.

Duluth might be a choice. Duluth used to have a section on its website for products made in the USA. Don't know anything about Duluth's politics and whether they are woke metrosexual lumberjacks or whatever else may be politically correct these days.

mtnbkr
02-23-2022, 04:11 PM
Don't know anything about Duluth's politics and whether they are woke metrosexual lumberjacks or whatever else may be politically correct these days.

I don't know what their politics are either, but their stuff wears like iron. I have 3 pairs of the old firehose pants (the two cargo pants get worn to hunting camp and regular camping trips as well) and 1 pair of their jeans. The firehose stuff is about a decade old, the jeans are 4-5 years old. I have a pile of their t-shirts and a few flannels as well. Stuff just lasts.

Chris

farscott
02-23-2022, 04:51 PM
I have old Filson stuff I treasure, including a set of double tin overalls that are excellent in brush, a light rain coat they made for the US Forest Service, and a Mackinaw Cruiser. All were made from USA fabric and sewn in Seattle. The new stuff I will not buy due to being made overseas from shoddy material. I would suggest buying older Filson pieces from secondhand stores of eBay.

DDTSGM
02-23-2022, 06:10 PM
Duluth might be a choice. Duluth used to have a section on its website for products made in the USA. Don't know anything about Duluth's politics and whether they are woke metrosexual lumberjacks or whatever else may be politically correct these days.

Don't know anything about their politics, so nothing there. What I do know is that I hustled post haste to the Wichita, KS store when it opened. The vibe was definitely metrosexual and worst of all, to me anyways, the firehose stuff they had was not the firehose I'd bought from them online. Did not appear to be nearly as robust, largely IMO because everything was stretchy/flex styling.

I don't know how long this has been the case, it had been several years since I'd bought any firehose pants from them.

In reality, long tail tee shirts, and a neat catalog to look through, as well as the original ballroom and firehose pants, may have been their zenith.

entropy
02-23-2022, 07:27 PM
Yep...Duluth isn’t what it once was either.

pastaslinger
02-24-2022, 06:06 AM
If you don't know about them, check out Flint and Tinder. I have stuff from them and from Filson and I like both.

mtnbkr
02-24-2022, 07:11 AM
Don't know anything about their politics, so nothing there. What I do know is that I hustled post haste to the Wichita, KS store when it opened. The vibe was definitely metrosexual and worst of all, to me anyways, the firehose stuff they had was not the firehose I'd bought from them online. Did not appear to be nearly as robust, largely IMO because everything was stretchy/flex styling.

I don't know how long this has been the case, it had been several years since I'd bought any firehose pants from them.

In reality, long tail tee shirts, and a neat catalog to look through, as well as the original ballroom and firehose pants, may have been their zenith.

The move from traditional firehose clothing to "duluthflex" firehose is disappointing, but I still find their stuff in general to be more durable than most other options (that look reasonable to wear daily). That said, I'm pretty sure regular firehose pants are still available, but not in as much variety as the duluthflex stuff. I'm currently wearing one of their flannel shirts and it is one of the heaviest non-lined flannels I've come across. I have long-tail t-shirts that are a decade old, which is a feat for any t-shirt IME.

They do have a couple internal lines that are tougher and more function-oriented. There's the Alaskan-branded stuff (don't recall the exact name, only that it invokes Alaska). There's also the 40-grit line, which is more "budget priced" but heavy duty.

Chris

entropy
02-24-2022, 09:26 AM
Duluth is probably one of the most solid choices currently available. I’ve got a bunch of their stuff as well. All of it wears well and seems to last. Like others, the quality of the material seems to have changed tho over time. L.L. Bean, Eddie Bauer...and the worst of the worst...Abercrombie and Fitch...all have taken a track for the worse. There was a time not long ago when you could look at fly rods in the A&F stores. Now, it gives me the creeps just to walk by the window and see the graphics displayed.

ST911
02-24-2022, 09:58 AM

Yeah, the ViddaPro’s are great. I discovered them a number of years back up in a store in AK too. Fairbanks IIRC. Had never heard of them previously. Never looked back. They’ve replaced my 5-bruh-11’s. They wear better, fit better, are certainly lighter weight and better constructed too. I like being able to adjust the ankles around boots when hiking or snowshoeing/XC skiing.

Vidda Pro is a great pant, regular and the vent. Durable in the brush. Getting the right wax build for conditions can be a nuisance, but the pant is solid.

mtnbkr
02-24-2022, 10:17 AM
Now, it gives me the creeps just to walk by the window and see the graphics displayed.

Ain't that the truth. At least Duluth's models are realistic...and adult.

Chris

Glenn E. Meyer
02-24-2022, 12:11 PM
I've bought Duluth pants and they've been pretty good for me. As far as A & F, the company went belly up and the name was sold to the current folks who have nothing to do with the original.

The Duluth Mammoth knit cap has been pretty solid in the cold weather here.