PDA

View Full Version : Someone was a victim of a battery with baton, which handed was the perpetrator...

Arma
02-18-2022, 11:17 AM
Alright. So someone was critically injured by someone with an expandable baton. The injuries (fractured humerus and ulna) were located on the victim's right arm. The victim was facing the perpetrator with their arms up to defend their head from incoming strikes.

Which hand did the perpetrator use to hold the expandable baton and strike the victim?

Thanks for helping! Hope this is the right forum to ask :)

Clusterfrack
02-18-2022, 11:23 AM
Arma, welcome to P-F. Can you give us a little background? Typically new users will introduce themselves. Are you writing a mystery novel?

Arma
02-18-2022, 11:33 AM
Arma, welcome to P-F. Can you give us a little background? Typically new users will introduce themselves. Are you writing a mystery novel?

Hey thanks.

Not a mystery novel, unfortunately no. Actually this relates to myself being accused of something I haven't done. Someone was assaulted and I'm trying to find out things that can prove the accusations wrong. Such as, as I myself have been thinking, perhaps the perpetrator was left handed. And I am right handed.

Caballoflaco
02-18-2022, 11:51 AM
It could be either hand depending if he’s swinging from the baton side or back across his body towards the strong side if that makes sense. Or maybe they fell on their left or right side and or were backed into a corner or against a wall and received all the blows on the exposed side. There’s really no way you can know.

Arma
02-18-2022, 12:21 PM
It could be either hand depending if he’s swinging from the baton side or back across his body towards the strong side if that makes sense. Or maybe they fell on their left or right side and or were backed into a corner or against a wall and received all the blows on the exposed side. There’s really no way you can know.
I was in the court with this case as the defendant (just to be clear I didn't do this and even the victim didn't recognize me as the perpetrator). Inspecting the angle of strike on the victim's back of wrist, it appears the baton strike came at an 45 degree angle, the lowest impact point being on the right side. As far as I know, that'd mean the strikes came from the victim's right.

If the bruise was inverted, the hits would've come from left side from victim's perspective. What became clear during the session was that the victim was standing and defending his head with his arms up.

Arma
02-18-2022, 12:35 PM
or back across his body towards the strong side
The strike force sure can't be as powerful compared to the other side?

Rex G
02-18-2022, 12:39 PM
Alright. So someone was critically injured by someone with an expandable baton. The injuries (fractured humerus and ulna) were located on the victim's right arm. The victim was facing the perpetrator with their arms up to defend their head from incoming strikes.

Which hand did the perpetrator use to hold the expandable baton and strike the victim?

Thanks for helping! Hope this is the right forum to ask :)

I was trained to use the baton to perform a variety of strikes. Injuries would not be limited to only one arm, or only one side. Consider the game of tennis, in which there are forehand and backhand strikes.

Crime novels are not so easy to write. ;)

Welcome to the forum. :)

Arma
02-18-2022, 12:47 PM
I was trained to use the baton to perform a variety of strikes. Injuries would not be limited to only one arm, or only one side. Consider the game of tennis, in which there are forehand and backhand strikes.

Crime novels are not so easy to write. ;)

Welcome to the forum. :)

Let's say the perpetrator was fiercely striking the victim and all the injuries were on the right arm.
Would that mean they went all in on backhand striking using his right hand? Can one cause enough damage to go full backhand?
Or better yet, would YOU use only backhand strikes?

BehindBlueI's
02-18-2022, 12:47 PM
I was trained to use the baton to perform a variety of strikes.

...and with either hand. I've done some good work off handed with a baton or maglite.

JohnO
02-18-2022, 01:07 PM

Right! Why? Because there greater than 50% chance I am correct. Greater than since right handed people out number lefties.

MistWolf
02-18-2022, 01:21 PM
It's natural to turn your body sideways to present a smaller target and protect as much of your body as possible.

If you were facing me and I were laying into you with a stick, baton, sword etc., don't be surprised when I strike you on the back of your head with a wrap around blow.

Clusterfrack
02-18-2022, 02:04 PM
It's natural to turn your body sideways to present a smaller target and protect as much of your body as possible.

If you were facing me and I were laying into you with a stick, baton, sword etc., don't be surprised when I strike you on the back of your head with a wrap around blow.

Yep. Been there, done that. On both ends of the stick. (Yes, that’s my ass getting beat).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220218/4480c95325264520c04e60b6abafacad.jpg

blues
02-18-2022, 02:07 PM
This is getting a little weird now...

;)

HeavyDuty
02-18-2022, 02:30 PM

;)

Yeah. TMI.

Clusterfrack
02-18-2022, 02:31 PM
Yeah. TMI.

And your sigline is once again spot on: ”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

TGS
02-18-2022, 02:45 PM

Clusterfrack, I didn't know you and Wise_A were...."friends".

HeavyDuty
02-18-2022, 03:24 PM
And your sigline is once again spot on: ”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I can’t take credit for Lt Squirrel’s comment.

SD
02-18-2022, 03:39 PM
Let us not rule out the ole 2 handed swing (batter up).

1911Nut
02-18-2022, 09:37 PM

Damnit. You beat me to this comment. If I felt someone deserved a baton beating, I would want to do it right, and would opt for the ol' two hand swing described.

HCM
02-18-2022, 10:01 PM
Damnit. You beat me to this comment. If I felt someone deserved a baton beating, I would want to do it right, and would opt for the ol' two hand swing described.

Doing it right would involve a real hardwood baton not a collapsible. With the exception of the somewhat uncommon Peacekeeper model, collapsible batons suck.

UNM1136
02-18-2022, 10:10 PM
Doing it right would involve a real hardwood baton not a collapsible. With the exception of the somewhat uncommon Peacekeeper model, collapsible batons suck.

I still think my Manadanock MX-24 is the hardest hitting expandable baton I have ever seen. Not very compact, but it folded the strike pad in half every single time...the regular collapsibles could not compare. But it was a collapsible with a solid aluminum bar covered in nylon for a shaft and a button lock. Need to get a Peacekeeper to compare. Still have my 36" hickory with lanyard, though....

And, why are we discussing this?

pat

AMC
02-18-2022, 10:15 PM

The RCB is The Almightys Rod of Correction.

Paul D
02-19-2022, 12:25 AM

;)

https://youtu.be/tLnxH9EXZLU?t=10

DDTSGM
02-19-2022, 02:45 AM
I still think my Manadanock MX-24 is the hardest hitting expandable baton I have ever seen. Not very compact, but it folded the strike pad in half every single time...the regular collapsibles could not compare. But it was a collapsible with a solid aluminum bar covered in nylon for a shaft and a button lock. Need to get a Peacekeeper to compare. Still have my 36" hickory with lanyard, though....

And, why are we discussing this?

pat

I never liked the expandable PR-24 nearly as much as the standard poly one. Most of the folks I trained hit better with either the straight plastic, or the later straight aluminum.

The secret, to me anyways, with any baton is to focus on the target with the goal of pentetrating an inch or two and focus on keeping the baton on the area struck, rather than either dragging the baton through the strike or allowing the baton to bounce off after the strike.

UNM1136
02-19-2022, 07:46 AM
I never liked the expandable PR-24 nearly as much as the standard poly one. Most of the folks I trained hit better with either the straight plastic, or the later straight aluminum.

The secret, to me anyways, with any baton is to focus on the target with the goal of pentetrating an inch or two and focus on keeping the baton on the area struck, rather than either dragging the baton through the strike or allowing the baton to bounce off after the strike.

Yeah I never had much use for the expandable PR. Loved the standard. I saw one fail one night pretty spectacularly back in about '93. The MX was a two shaft expandable straight baton with a push button lock. It was essentially a 10 or so inch body with a foam covered handle and a single sliding bar inside. It didn't collapase as much as a friction lock, but it hit MUCH harder.

Vince at the OHP Academy when I did my instructor cert told us to imagine it was a sword and start chopping limbs off.

pat

SD
02-19-2022, 07:54 AM
+1 for the Peacekeeper. No experience with Monadnock MX-24 Baton. Was not a fan of RCBs, until the Peacekeeper, very effective and dependable.

awp_101
02-19-2022, 10:41 PM

Aim for the cheap seats!