RAM Engineer
02-17-2022, 10:43 AM
New .380 P365 just announced...

https://www.sigsauer.com/p365-380.html

Edited to add: And thankfully there is a manual safety version

RJ
02-17-2022, 10:46 AM
Hm.

Would seem to be a pretty decent alternative to a 5 shot snubbie? Better maybe?

GJM
02-17-2022, 10:46 AM
2.0 ounces lighter

Totem Polar
02-17-2022, 10:55 AM
Old man gun. This century’s optic-ready CZ83. I have no interest right now, but I reserve the right to change my mind.
:cool:

HeavyDuty
02-17-2022, 10:58 AM
Interesting that it’s based on the X slide.

GJM
02-17-2022, 10:59 AM
This could be a terrific pistol for those that are recoil sensitive. One of these with an EPS Carry or 507K in circle dot would be interesting for those folks.

breakingtime91
02-17-2022, 11:00 AM
Really like that they are now doing optic cuts forward of the rear dovetail... I am waiting on a second sig 365xl until they offer a xl slide like that..

GJM
02-17-2022, 11:01 AM
I am curious what parts interchange with the 9mm 365 family?

Clusterfrack
02-17-2022, 11:03 AM
Hm.

I would say no. Similar size, not a revolver, and weaker caliber (compared to 9mm) seems like a poor trade. For me a .380 snubby alternative has to be significantly smaller (e.g. LCP or p380).

Jason M
02-17-2022, 11:23 AM
Hm.

Maybe but maybe not. I think it would depend on the role for the gun and the new design's tolerance for friction causing contaminants and less than strong shooting positions. The .380 doesn't have a lot of operating pressure to spare to make a sticky gun work under those conditions. As a BUG where it is stored on an ankle, in a pocket, or mounded between uniform/armor layers it is likely to get all gunked up. As a BUG, it is also very likely to be fired from non-traditional or non-locked shooting position by an officer under duress. Small 9mm guns with greater operating pressure than the .380 ACP, like the G43, sometimes have issues under those conditions. On the plus side, the 365 would have better sights than the 442/642 but there are ways around that (paint, LCR, 340PD/MP340). Small and flat, as I would assume the new 365 to be, is a good attribute for deep carry but it can also be an impediment to deployment. The shape of the small revo stock tends to be concealable and easier to grab for some. I'm going back and forth with the issue of G43 or 442 as a BUG. For me the small revolver is winning the race but not by enough to say the small auto is DQed.

If the new 365 were to be used as an "always have a gun rule" gun, especially for someone who uses the P320, it may have some benefits over the revolver.

Doc_Glock
02-17-2022, 11:40 AM
2.0 ounces lighter

That puts it around 19.0 oz loaded which makes it viable for the pocket IMO.

gato naranja
02-17-2022, 11:40 AM
On the plus side, the 365 would have better sights than the 442/642 but there are ways around that (paint, LCR, 340PD/MP340).

The irrational absence of, if not great, at least easily replaced sights on ALL J-frames and SP101s remains a blot, "I said blot, son," on the escutcheons of S&W and Ruger. Look at the Novak-style setups on some of the distributors' runs. I may be an anachronism, but any firearm I can't fairly easily replace a front blade on and at least be able to drift the rear is one that has - or will - piss me off.

As for a .380 P365...

I'm sure it will gladden somebody.

TGS
02-17-2022, 11:41 AM
2.0 ounces lighter

I'm surprised it's not mo'lighter. I'm wondering if 380 will have enough oomph to reliably cycle this variant, which dimensions appear identical to a regular 9mm slide based on the manufacturer provided specs.

For examples of what I'm talking about, look at the S&W Shield EZ's heavily scalloped slide compared to the regular shield. The SIG P250 380 also used the subcompact slide on the Compact 380 variant....not the Compact slide length...and even with that weight reduction in reciprocating mass it still cycles extremely soft. The Glock 42's slide is substantially lighter than the Glock 43 slide, ditto the Kahr P380 and PM9....the latter has a .9" slide, with the P380 having a .75" slide.

Jason M
02-17-2022, 11:45 AM
The irrational absence of, if not great, at least easily replaced sights on ALL J-frames and SP101s remains a blot, "I said blot, son," on the escutcheons of S&W and Ruger. Look at the Novak-style setups on some of the distributors' runs. I may be an anachronism, but any firearm I can't fairly easily replace a front blade on and at least be able to drift the rear is one that has - or will - piss me off.

As for a .380 P365...

I'm sure it will gladden somebody.

Wholeheartedly agree about the lack of sight options for all of the Js. 442/642 with pinned front blades (and properly aligned barrels) is a no brainer.

SIG will sell a buttload of the new guns.

GJM
02-17-2022, 12:02 PM
According to the email from Sig introducing this, the grip module and FCU are the same, but the barrel and lightened slide are different. Also, there will be 10, 12 and 15 round magazines. So, about 2 ounces less of slide weight.

PS, I also noticed that the optic plate arrangement is similar to the Spectre Comp, where the rear sight dovetail is not part of the plate.

jh9
02-17-2022, 12:25 PM
Old man gun.

Yep. I know a few people who struggle mightily with all the current micro9s. Recoil, slide manipulation, etc. I'll be picking one of these up after the first recall.

Hoping this is as shootable as a Glock 42 with more bullets.

TGS
02-17-2022, 12:28 PM
Hoping this is as shootable as a Glock 42 with more bullets.

One things for sure, my Glock 42 just instantly became a gun that I'll never be able to sell. Maybe I could give it away for free. Only other option to offload it from here on out with be driving to a gun buyback in another state.

jh9
02-17-2022, 12:36 PM
One things for sure, my Glock 42 just instantly became a gun that I'll never be able to sell. Maybe I could give it away for free. Only other option to offload it from here on out with be driving to a gun buyback in another state.

Twenty bucks is twenty bucks.

Glenn E. Meyer
02-17-2022, 12:43 PM
Oh, dear - I'm going to shoot my G42 in a match today. I doubt I would buy a replacment 380. I might be old school but the 432 will be my pocket gun for the future. I don't see a pocket anything worth replacing the 432 in the time I have left. I got holsters and lots of ammo for it that will probably outlast me given actuarial predictions of my life span.

However, I might channel my inner Paladin for a 380 like this: https://www.thetacticalwire.com/releases/5812e265-61b1-485b-a5ce-16690aadc093

Two shots are enough (joke, joke!).

I hear the bit about hand strength. My shoulders are shot and I was lifting some long arms yesterday for a surprising Ouch, that hurts. So far my hands hold up.

PNWTO
02-17-2022, 12:43 PM
With a decade of nerve damage in my arm that leads to some marksmanship struggles this little thing has me very interested.

CDW4ME
02-17-2022, 01:23 PM
Hm.

IMO 11 rounds 380 is better than 5 rounds of 38 special/357 mag.

That said, I don't carry smaller than 9mm.

Joe Mac
02-17-2022, 03:27 PM
Being almost identical in overall dimensions to a G42 (albeit perhaps a tad thicker, and 2 ounces heavier), if it's as reliable and stupidly easy to shoot well as the 42 it will be a winner.

Totem Polar
02-17-2022, 03:31 PM
I'll be picking one of these up after the first recall.

:D :D :D

Laconic truth.

LoL! It may not be *that* bad. Let’s talk if it comes to that. I might be your huckleberry, if you can find the time amidst your inexhaustible joie de vivre to offload the thing.

:D

RevolverRob
02-17-2022, 03:38 PM
Now we're cooking with gas.

P365 in .380, manual safety, optics ready, 12, and 15-round mags you say?

Time to start sending emails to get a .32NAA Barrel made...:eek:

alohadoug
02-17-2022, 03:40 PM
With a decade of nerve damage in my arm that leads to some marksmanship struggles this little thing has me very interested.

Mine's not nerve but ligament/tendon issues. Makes a J frame/LCR a no-go for me. But a S&W Bodyguard isn't that bad. :confused: Has to do with recoil direction (i.e. "roll" from revolvers vs. straight back with semi).

This definitely has my interest.

I would have been interested in a Glock 42 but they're not Mass Compliant and I'm not paying the "Mass mark-up". Last one I saw for sale was $900 :rolleyes:

JCN
02-17-2022, 03:44 PM
I won’t buy one as a complete gun, but I’ll bet a number of existing P365 9mm owners will pick up a conversion slide when available. Looks like it works with existing lowers so an X-change kit costing 90% of the new gun is in the works I’m sure!

(I’ll probably buy one)

APS-PF
02-17-2022, 04:08 PM
I'll get one with the manual safety or maybe just the top end, if it's not priced so it doesn't make sense not to buy the entire gun.

Wonder9
02-17-2022, 05:16 PM
Like .380ACP
Like P365
Like RDS-cut recoil-locked 380s
Simple as

MandoWookie
02-17-2022, 05:31 PM

Why must you poison my mind with these temptations?

Besides, I'll just wait for the .30 Super version.

Lex Luthier
02-17-2022, 05:51 PM
Why must you poison my mind with these temptations?

Besides, I'll just wait for the .30 Super version.

I am almost sure that variant is coming.

alohadoug
02-17-2022, 05:52 PM

I'm in.:D

Mike C
02-17-2022, 09:49 PM
I won’t buy one as a complete gun, but I’ll bet a number of existing P365 9mm owners will pick up a conversion slide when available. Looks like it works with existing lowers so an X-change kit costing 90% of the new gun is in the works I’m sure!

(I’ll probably buy one)

I look forward to your exploits/dabbling in making it gamer gun complaint(ish?). :p

This would be interesting for certain.

HCM
02-17-2022, 10:15 PM
Really like that they are now doing optic cuts forward of the rear dovetail... I am waiting on a second sig 365xl until they offer a xl slide like that..

Don’t hold your breath.

Navin Johnson
02-17-2022, 10:37 PM
Nothing draws from a pocket like a j.....

If it's on a belt what does it do better than a 9?.....for the general population? Once it is loaded slide manipulation is of minimal relevance.

Oh yea its a .380.....

YMMV

BillSWPA
02-17-2022, 10:46 PM
I have two relatives with wrist or elbow issues which could impact their comfort with recoil. So, even though I am carrying a 9mm P365 as I type this, I will definitely be on the lookout for a .380 version (without the safety).

RJ
02-18-2022, 06:36 AM
Hm.

Welp my ardor for "a new gun" cooled quite a bit. I went back and re-read Doc's thread on .38 vs. 380.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4336-BUG-s-380-ACP-vs-38-Sp

Paraphrasing Doc, a wadcutter out of a short barrel .38 is more effective performer than 380. And there are considerations with pocket carry (lint, dirt), and for contact/up close shots, that make a revolver a better option, so I will be keeping my LCR loaded with Federal GMM.

Cool gun though. I'll be interested in how it shakes out for Sig.

octagon
02-18-2022, 09:23 AM
Welp my ardor for "a new gun" cooled quite a bit. I went back and re-read Doc's thread on .38 vs. 380.

Paraphrasing Doc, a wadcutter out of a short barrel .38 is more effective performer than 380. And there are considerations with pocket carry (lint, dirt), and for contact/up close shots, that make a revolver a better option, so I will be keeping my LCR loaded with Federal GMM.

Cool gun though. I'll be interested in how it shakes out for Sig.

You do realize that is a 10 year old post.

RJ
02-18-2022, 09:43 AM
You do realize that is a 10 year old post.

And that it is all that is available here on p-f, no?

Do you think things have changed much as regards the effectiveness of .38 WC ammo vs. .380ACP in the last 10 years? (honest question, no snark intended.)

Rex G
02-18-2022, 09:54 AM
I’ll let “enthusiastic others” be beta testers. Then, well, it is an auto-pistol. .380 ACP. Vetting it, and I mean REALLY vetting it, with a street-relevant load, at more than a dollar per round, adds hundreds to the true cost of ownership, and that is after having run decent training ammo through it, at more than $0.60 per round.

Then, there is my gimpy right hand. This would have to be an LHO pistol. Left Hand, Only. (I no longer trust my right hand to reliably support the frame, to ensure the cycling of most autos.)

I bought yet another .38 snub-gun, yesterday. (Not a J-Snub. Heft. Hand-fillin’.)

SIG will probably sell all they can make.

octagon
02-18-2022, 11:23 AM

Do you think things have changed much as regards the effectiveness of .38 WC ammo vs. .380ACP in the last 10 years? (honest question, no snark intended.)

It probably is the most current available info here on PF from him but there are other sources and data with proper gel and testing. Lucky Gunner has done widespread testing and provide their results for all to see and although it isn't 10% ordinance gel used it is still more current and a true apples to apples comparison of different loads, calibers and barrel lengths.

As for the second part of your response look at it this way. Both the 380 and 38 Spl are the same dia to start. 38WC is the same dia the entire bullet path. If a 380 HP expands and reaches the 12-18" or more depth of penetration it is crushing more tissue and thus performs better. If a 380HP doesn't expand beyond .355 and reaches 12-18" or further then it is basically doing the same amount of tissue damage. Any minor difference is irrelevant. Bullet placement and penetration are the real factors anything else is a small bonus at best especially with calibers below 9mm performance.

That said 38 Spl offers 5-6 rounds and slower more cumbersome reloads if they are carried and how they are carried. 380 offers 7 rounds in small single stacks and now 11-14 rounds in similar size and weight packages that are flatter.

Everyone has to decide for themselves but I find it funny that there are plenty of discussions here on PF about 10 rounds and a 1 or 2 badguy capacity gun and a similar number of threads about the 38 snub nose being just fine.

Doc_Glock
02-18-2022, 11:27 AM

Paraphrasing Doc, a wadcutter out of a short barrel .38 is more effective performer than 380. And there are considerations with pocket carry (lint, dirt), and for contact/up close shots, that make a revolver a better option, so I will be keeping my LCR loaded with Federal GMM..

They both suck.

Leroy Suggs
02-18-2022, 11:30 AM
I’ll let “enthusiastic others” be beta testers. Then, well, it is an auto-pistol. .380 ACP. Vetting it, and I mean REALLY vetting it, with a street-relevant load, at more than a dollar per round, adds hundreds to the true cost of ownership, and that is after having run decent training ammo through it, at more than $0.60 per round.

Then, there is my gimpy right hand. This would have to be an LHO pistol. Left Hand, Only. (I no longer trust my right hand to reliably support the frame, to ensure the cycling of most autos.)

I bought yet another .38 snub-gun, yesterday. (Not a J-Snub. Heft. Hand-fillin’.)

SIG will probably sell all they can make.

Good post Rex.

It would cost at minium $500.00 to vett a .380 auto at current ammo prices.
A lot of people don't consider that. Of course a lot of people don't vett their new auto anyway.

Rex G
02-18-2022, 11:52 AM
Good post Rex.

A lot of people don't consider that. Of course a lot of people don't vett their new auto anyway.

Indeed, $500 was the figure that I was thinking. Not just vetting the pistol, but vetting my hands, to see how likely I am to limp-wrist-malf the thing, if I have a lapse of attention.

I think that you are correct, in that most folks do not actually vet their pistols.

Edited to add: I have a back-log of pistols, awaiting vetting. It is not that I have no ammo, but do not want to wipe-out my ammo supply, to vet pistols, when I already have plenty of vetted carry guns. Replacing ammo is expensive, in today’s conditions. I just placed a substantial order, this morning, with Midway USA, so, am all too aware of ammo prices.

Velo Dog
02-18-2022, 12:50 PM
Do you think things have changed much as regards the effectiveness of .38 WC ammo vs. .380ACP in the last 10 years?

Not really. This was posted 2 years ago.

In general, friends don't let friends carry .380's...

But Rule 1 applies—having a .380 Auto beats not having a firearm. So if a sub-compact .380 is what you must go with due to size issues or limitations on limb function, so be it. Just make sure your .380 Auto handgun is reliable.

Most of our .380 and .38 sp testing has been done for LE agencies, so you will not find the data on the internet. The FBI has also done extensive testing and has come to the same conclusion--that no .380 loads meet the minimum penetration, expansion, and barrier requirements.

Again--there are NO .380 loads that meet the FBI BRF/IWBA/JSWB-IPT standard test protocols.

The .380 Auto tends to always wind up as a compromise, with the end-user having to choose the best option from a bunch of less than desirable choices. Obviously FMJ penetrates well, but offers no expansion (this includes the Lehigh Defense XP) and beware that some bulk FMJ offers suspect QC compared to duty ammo. With expanding designs, the best of the worst in .380 seem to be the Hornady 90 gr XTP (poor expansion), Federal 90 gr HydraShok (inconsistent expansion), and Speer 90 gr Gold Dot (a bit shallow on penetration) and all three are poor against intermediate barriers. Function is also an issue in some .380 pistols, with FMJ sometimes offering superior feeding reliability.

This cannot be emphasized enough--ensure your .380 Auto handgun is reliable with the carry ammo you select.

BillSWPA
02-18-2022, 01:27 PM
In this instance, since the same gun is available in 9mm, .38 is a far less meaningful comparison. Obviously the 9mm is a better choice for anyone who can shoot it comfortably, and that is a large percentage of shooters. However, the .380 does something that neither 9mm nor .38 accomplishes: providing a gun that is easier to shoot more comfortably for anyone with hand, wrist, or elbow issues that limits their ability to shoot comfortably, or who, for whatever reason, is uncomfortable with recoil.

No.6
02-18-2022, 06:07 PM

I sincerely doubt the level of testing rigor that drove Doc's writings is going to be replicated for non-service calibers. There are a lot of amateur (not counting YouTube monetization) tests with lesser control, quantity of rounds, care in test preparation, many using firearms of different barrel lengths and other variables, and most of those are nearly of the same vintage.

For a variety of reasons I collected 300+ samples of other people's results and put them into a spreadsheet and then through some data science grinding and while I wrote some possibilities the only firm conclusions I would stand on are a) .380 should never be a service caliber as long as the FBI test is the standard; and b) clear gel doesn't correlate to organic in a consistent, mathematically-modelable way, but the generalities you read about more penetration and less expansion look valid.

So: maybe Hornady/Federal/etc. have progressed the rounds since then? But I doubt you could prove it without a test regimen of significant size and rigor.

4RNR
02-18-2022, 07:21 PM
Indeed, $500 was the figure that I was thinking. Not just vetting the pistol, but vetting my hands, to see how likely I am to limp-wrist-malf the thing, if I have a lapse of attention.

I think that you are correct, in that most folks do not actually vet their pistols.

Edited to add: I have a back-log of pistols, awaiting vetting. It is not that I have no ammo, but do not want to wipe-out my ammo supply, to vet pistols, when I already have plenty of vetted carry guns. Replacing ammo is expensive, in today’s conditions. I just placed a substantial order, this morning, with Midway USA, so, am all too aware of ammo prices.
Good post Rex.

A lot of people don't consider that. Of course a lot of people don't vett their new auto anyway.At what point does vetting stop and practice start? I mean I spent thousands to shoot a gun, call it whatever you want.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Thy.Will.Be.Done
02-18-2022, 07:53 PM
Wake me up when the .30 Super P365 rolls into town, otherwise it's 9mm all the way./././

Rex G
02-18-2022, 08:04 PM
At what point does vetting stop and practice start? I mean I spent thousands to shoot a gun, call it whatever you want.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Good point, but, well, I do not need to burn premium defensive ammo in order to “practice” with pistols that I already have, on hand. Vetting a new pistol involves running 200+ rounds of my chosen carry load through the pistol, and paying attention that each carry mag proves itself individually reliable. This is after I have “practiced” with several hundred rounds of FMJ. This is assuming that everything goes well. An unexplainable malfunction “resets” the count. Actually, I’d rather run 400 to 500 rounds of my chosen carry load, through a new pistol, a thing that dates from the time I had a pistol that seemed to have an inexplicable FTF about once every 400 rounds. (It remained a dedicated training-only pistol, while I carried its twin.)

One of my three G22 pistols ran fine with 165-grain FMJ and JHP ammo, but not with 180-grain ammo. It is necessary to vet a pistol with ammo that matches what I plan to carry. As it happened, this particular G22 was only used as a “school gun,” so I never sorted-out its problem, with 180-grain ammo, before I sold it, with full disclosure, after I switched to the SIG P229 DAK, for police duty. (It was probably an out-of-spec slide stop, that tended to touch bullet noses.)

Plus, a new pistol, that works differently from my existing pistols, is not, necessarily, helpful training, unless I adopt the new pistol.

To be clear, I am not hating this new P365. Adopting any new pistol, in this post-panic-demic world, is an expensive proposition. .380 ACP ammo is notably expensive, in a time when no ammo is inexpensive.

Willard
02-19-2022, 07:08 AM
So this .380 is essentially the same size as the 9mm? No more concealable? Not a better NPE gun? Not understanding purpose.

CDW4ME
02-19-2022, 07:19 AM
So this .380 is essentially the same size as the 9mm? No more concealable? Not a better NPE gun? Not understanding purpose.

Its a 365 for women, elderly, arthritic, (recoil sensitive) and people with pins in their fingers like Dr. Strange.

Rex G
02-19-2022, 08:51 AM

Buyers want what buyers want. SIG exists to earn money. Plus, if the .380 365 is locked-breech, it may well have substantially less recoil than the 9mm version, a consideration for folks with gimpy hands/thumbs/wrists. I am well acquainted with Arthur Itis, so, have largely given-up on the whole category of Compact Nines, but, thus far, my solution has been to carry pistols with duty/service-sized “orthopedic” grips, such as the G17 and G19x, and 1911. (I traded-away three G19 pistols, in 2020, after not shooting them since 2017, when they started torturing my right thumb/hand/wrist. I still have roles for the “baby” Glocks, but only shoot them lefty.)

I cannot quite yet warm-up to .380 pistols, even the locked-breech designs, as I am concerned about numb-thumbing the things, which is a separate issue from arthritis. The effect is the same as limp-wrist-induced malfunctions; the ulnar nerve is important to the ring and little fingers, and some motions of the thumb. Fortunately, Glocks with G17-sized grips seem quite forgiving of this problem, too.

What about big guns, in NPEs? Well, bags, for men, have become normalized. Snub-gun and/or blade(s) concealed under clothing, and big guns can be bag guns. Or, I can wear frumpy, eccentric grandpa cover garments, and cover any handgun.

Again, I am not hating the 365.

SWAT Lt.
02-19-2022, 09:15 AM

Then I'd suspect the gun isn't one you'd want to purchase. However, it may be just the thing others will be excited about. Those who have difficulty operating the slide on a pistol or who have issues controlling recoil, particularly on a small 9mm. This will give them a viable self defense option in a caliber more reliable and effective than .22 rimfire. The P-365 is an excellent pistol and I'd much rather have one of those (once they have been out a bit) than a Shield EZ .380 or a .22 of some flavor.

I was at the range a week or so ago when an elderly couple, 70s-early 80s, showed up to the firing line. I'll admit I was a bit concerned as, in my mind, I figured they may have difficulty operating and shooting their pistols which could prove to be dangerous to others present. After watching and listening to them for a bit those concerns went away. They handled their weapons properly and knew weapon and range terminology and protocol. They were shooting several target-type .22 pistols (I saw a couple of Rugers) at a distance of 10 or so yards and were shooting somewhat fast. All that led me to believe that these were not target pistols but were the guns this couple kept for defense that they were out practicing with. While not tight groups, they kept their rounds on the bullseye target which would translate to torso hits on an adversary. I was glad to see them out practicing and believe that they must feel confident knowing they can protect themselves if need be. I think it is this type of demographic that would most benefit from a gun like the P-365 in .380 Auto.

BillSWPA
02-19-2022, 09:43 AM
Looks like the .380 has an optics plate forward of the rear sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterb
02-19-2022, 09:58 AM
If someone has grip strength issues that make it uncomfortable to shoot a small 9mm, a .38spl j-frame probably isn’t going to be a good option either. Being able to get good fast hits with a .380 pistol might be the best compromise.

HeavyDuty
02-19-2022, 10:21 AM
I had a new shooter at the range try a magazine each through both one of my 43s and my 42. They insisted they had a much easier time manipulating the slide and shooting the 42, and I believe them since it was a blind test without their knowing what they were shooting. I can see the same happening here. I’d rather see someone with a suboptimal pistol that they can master than a more powerful one that they are right on the ragged edge of making function.

Duelist
02-19-2022, 10:37 AM
I had a new shooter at the range try a magazine each through both one of my 43s and my 42. They insisted they had a much easier time manipulating the slide and shooting the 42, and I believe them since it was a blind test without their knowing what they were shooting. I can see the same happening here. I’d rather see someone with a suboptimal pistol that they can master than a more powerful one that they are right on the ragged edge of making function.

My wife hates shooting single stack 9mms, thinks the 26 is probably okay for a magazine or less, loves shooting .22, and will shoot all of the .380 I bring when shooting a G42.

As a result, I got two G42s.

Navin Johnson
02-19-2022, 10:52 AM
I shot a rental 42 and it was super fun to shoot and minimal recoil. If I got one it would be for fun.

Had random malfs. Still hard to pocket draw compared to a J

Weighs more than a 442 and about the same as a LCR .357 loaded. Recoil is the same range as the above with wadcutters.

Yes I know 5 rounds.....But it is 5 for almost sure (contact or poor grip etc.) . And vastly better ballistics than .380 ball.

TGS
02-19-2022, 10:55 AM
My wife hates shooting single stack 9mms, thinks the 26 is probably okay for a magazine or less, loves shooting .22, and will shoot all of the .380 I bring when shooting a G42.

As a result, I got two G42s.

Just curious...

two is one, one is none.....or did you buy two that way you both carry the same gun/mags when out and about?

Glenn E. Meyer
02-19-2022, 12:33 PM
My 42 ran with only one FTF that was easily resolved with Fiocchi FMJ. I am reluctant to shoot my small supply of 'defensive' ammo, given the expense and the discussion of the utility of FMJ vs. HP rounds. I noted that the gun will eject and drop partially filled mags (USPSA gamer) but sometimes not on slide lock. Some other little guns in the match did the same.

Is that a characteristic of the smaller semis? Anyone notice this?

It's a good gun. When I wore it on my belt after the match, it was hardly noticeable. Given my crappy back, I can see me go geezer this way. I note I have moved into the elderly category being in my mid 70's with bad knees. Thus I stroll being targets. So far recoil doesn't bother me with 9s or 45's. If it truly became horrific - I can see my G44 as an EDC (OMG) or my Buckmark as the house gun with the 10/22 as the long arm. I'm doomed.

However, the 432 and 632 with wadcutters might suffice.

peterb
02-19-2022, 12:59 PM
Does the 365 .380 sorta kinda fill the same niche as did the 80-series Berettas?
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-beretta-cheetah-series-fun-size-duty-pistols/

365 offers better sights and more capacity.

Duelist
02-19-2022, 01:43 PM
Just curious...

two is one, one is none.....or did you buy two that way you both carry the same gun/mags when out and about?

Multiple reasons. I found myself snagging hers to carry for the gym and a rare few other extremely low profile situations, because it is a vastly superior gun to my P32 that got used for some of those very lot profile purposes. I typically carry a 642/442 and/or a G26, but the dimensions and weight of the G42 are very attractive for light clothing, low profile, backup, or lazy days, while still being a usable, accurate and reliable gun.

When I realized how often I was grabbing her G42, I thought about getting myself a G43, or something else similar. I’d had a Shield for about 3 weeks and loved some things about it, but ended up dumping it over the magazines: both failed in less than 200 total rounds through the gun. That was when I got my G26, which was my first Glock and has been typically flawless like most Glocks, and convinced me that I had been an idiot for avoiding them. Two is one, one is none entered my thinking when I decided on getting a second G42, but the commonality of magazines vs getting a G43 she wouldn’t shoot and having to stock two different non-standard Glock magazines pretty much decided it for me. She doesn’t carry very often, so if I’m out and about with her and have two guns and one is a G42, I’m pretty much carrying the G42 for her.

My workplace is an NPE, with the possibility of getting official permission to carry on the premises. I hesitate to ask permission for a variety of reasons, but if I ever do, I’ll likely either be carrying a G42 or 442 at work depending on clothing for the day.

G42s get loaded with ball or the one Hornady JHP that actually works in .380. 642/442 get FGMM for primary load, 130gr Ranger bonded in speed strips. G26 gets any vetted GKR load - 124 or 147gr Speed GD or HST, usually. I have a 19x and a G44 as well, but don’t carry them much at all. 19x gets the same loads as the G26.

SiriusBlunder
02-19-2022, 03:20 PM

It's the latest available in a single post, but if you search for Doc's posts, you can find additional information. The G42 has changed things since it is both reliable and shootable.

From 2018 (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?26401-I-have-always-despised-the-380-but&p=742275&viewfull=1#post742275):

The .38 wadcutter will cut a larger diameter wound track than a .380 FMJ; the revolver can be fired from a pocket, but the G42 is typically easier to shoot and more rapidly reloads--call it a wash. Other less reliable and harder to shoot .380's don't match a J-frame--as always, YMMV...

(It remains to be seen if the P365 .380 is reliable and shootable).

More of his latest posts summarized here (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?47809-Airlite-backup-38-vs-22-Magnum&p=1213387&viewfull=1#post1213387).

There is also a P&S podcast about terminal ballistics where Doc and Chuck Pressburg discuss a G42 in an NPE. It's been a few years since I've watched it, but I think Doc said he was mostly joking with "friends don't let friends carry a .380".

My take away reading all his posts since the G42 has come out, is that >= 9mm barrier blind ammo is still recommended, but .380/.38 target WC (neither will pass all barrier testing) are the absolute floor for a defensive pistol.

Chuck Whitlock
02-19-2022, 07:21 PM
Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
In general, friends don't let friends carry .380's...

But Rule 1 applies—having a .380 Auto beats not having a firearm. So if a sub-compact .380 is what you must go with due to size issues or limitations on limb function, so be it. Just make sure your .380 Auto handgun is reliable.

Most of our .380 and .38 sp testing has been done for LE agencies, so you will not find the data on the internet. The FBI has also done extensive testing and has come to the same conclusion--that no .380 loads meet the minimum penetration, expansion, and barrier requirements.

Again--there are NO .380 loads that meet the FBI BRF/IWBA/JSWB-IPT standard test protocols.

The .380 Auto tends to always wind up as a compromise, with the end-user having to choose the best option from a bunch of less than desirable choices. Obviously FMJ penetrates well, but offers no expansion (this includes the Lehigh Defense XP) and beware that some bulk FMJ offers suspect QC compared to duty ammo. With expanding designs, the best of the worst in .380 seem to be the Hornady 90 gr XTP (poor expansion), Federal 90 gr HydraShok (inconsistent expansion), and Speer 90 gr Gold Dot (a bit shallow on penetration) and all three are poor against intermediate barriers. Function is also an issue in some .380 pistols, with FMJ sometimes offering superior feeding reliability.

This cannot be emphasized enough--ensure your .380 Auto handgun is reliable with the carry ammo you select.

The bolded part is why I am hesitant to rely on FMJ for defensive use. I used to use Hornady Critical Defense for this very reason, and currently use Hornady XTP. I am interested in the Federal HydraShok Deep. If it expands, then bully...but if not it should at least equal the terminal performance of FMJ, with the added potential for reliable operation that premium line products offer.

Velo Dog
02-19-2022, 07:27 PM
I might channel my inner Paladin for a 380 like this: https://www.thetacticalwire.com/releases/5812e265-61b1-485b-a5ce-16690aadc093

Two shots are enough (joke, joke!).

Wait until it is offered in the higher capacity 30 Super Carry (joke, joke!)

idahojess
02-22-2022, 03:29 PM
Palmetto has them for 499 plus free shipping:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-p365-380-optics-ready-380-acp-pistol-black-365-380-bss.html

I'll give it a whirl -- I like the idea of it.

parishioner
02-23-2022, 03:34 PM

The two latest releases in the P365 series, the P365XL Spectre Comp and now the .380 model, are in this configuration.

Hopefully a sign of whats to come.

JCN
02-23-2022, 03:50 PM
Palmetto has them for 499 plus free shipping:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-p365-380-optics-ready-380-acp-pistol-black-365-380-bss.html

I'll give it a whirl -- I like the idea of it.

I ordered one too! I’m interested to see what Lego creation I can make.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
02-23-2022, 03:59 PM
I think the biggest reason to go for .380 ACP over 9mm would be that it's designed by John Moses Browning.... rather than an Austrian guy named Luger. That makes it cool I guess, along with the fact recoil will be a breeze along with less noise and muzzle blast.

Velo Dog
03-14-2022, 07:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRdY5BFElao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRdY5BFElao

idahojess
03-29-2022, 02:56 PM
I've taken mine out to the range a couple times and I've put about 150 rounds through it.
I have an injured/weak right hand and arm -- I really can barely grip with my right hand -- so my accuracy testing is pretty subjective. It is quite accurate and easy to shoot.

Reliabiity is probably good. I had one malfunction, a failure to extract, on the very first round that I attribute to easing the slide forward. On Sunday I shot 7 rounds of PPU Serbian stuff that I bought in the 2009 shortage and the gun would not eject the cases. It felt noticeably under-powered, so I'm chalking it up to the Serbian ammo.

It ran just fine on Blazer Brass, Fiocchi 95 grain and about 10 rounds of critical defense. The Blazer brass seemed to be less powerful than the Fiocchi ammo, but the gun still ran fine. I haven't bought 380 for awhile, so I'm sort of scraping up the leftovers from when I used to shoot them more. The gun is not as finicky as the SIG 290RS 380 that I used to have. And, it is much more pleasant to shoot than the old LCP (and way easier to manipulate and clear issues). It's obviously not as "EZ" as a Shield EZ (which are really easy to shoot) but it is a much smaller gun.

The gun has a pretty tight lock up, so for me it is actually pretty difficult to rack. I did put a Arachnigrips slide spider on it, which made it much easier to manipulate.

https://arachnigrip.com/

Trigger pull weight on mine seems to be about high 5 pounds to 6 pounds, but it seems fine. It definitely breaks further out than my M&P triggers, so that is just something to watch for. I prefer that weight (one of the reasons I don't have an EZ) so it is fine with me.

The biggest issue I have right now is that loading the magazine on this gun is really difficult for me. I've been shooting for decades and I can work my way around loading Glock, M&P and other mags pretty easily, especially with loading tools like the standard Glock tool. The tool that Sig shipped with the gun appears to be designed for a 9mm. Since the magazine is a 9mm magazine with a spacer in the back, the Sig magazine loading tool presses down on the cartridge case too far back, and it just causes the bullet to tip upward. It's kind of useless. I'll have to see if something else will work.

Anyway, so far it's been a nice shooting gun for its size. It's definitely nicely made. Because of the tight lock up and magazine loading issues, I'm not sure it qualifies as an old man gun, though, without some extra tools. Your arthritic hands may vary...

Polecat
03-30-2022, 05:34 PM
Was kinda a naysayer, but got one to try and I am floored! Only 100 rounds so far but Love it. Tad lighter, slide pull is honestly similar, but recoil is non existent, and hole in hole accurate at 10 yards. Gonna install a safety, put it in a Wilson grip it is great.

JCN
04-14-2022, 05:42 PM
I put the 380 slide on one of my gamer WC lowers with MS.

She loved it. Easy to rack, mild recoil.

Bergeron
04-17-2022, 02:45 PM
I put the 380 slide on one of my gamer WC lowers with MS.

She loved it. Easy to rack, mild recoil.

This makes me curious, as a gun to introduce new people. My pistols have been full-size, or else a LCP, but I’m getting caught up in the P365 fever. I wonder what a Wilson-Katana frame sporting a TLR-7sub would be like with a dotted 380 slide? I wonder also, how that same dotted .380 slide would compare to a comped 9mm slide, at least for a person new to shooting?

alohadoug
05-05-2022, 08:10 PM
Has anyone seen conversion kits available yet? The .380 version isn't Mass Compliant but I could pickup the P365-MS and add the conversion kit.

JCN
05-07-2022, 05:53 PM
Has anyone seen conversion kits available yet? The .380 version isn't Mass Compliant but I could pickup the P365-MS and add the conversion kit.

You could probably get someone to buy one and sell you the slide. It’s not a straw purchase because a slide isn’t a firearm.

idahojess
07-10-2022, 09:35 PM
Oddly enough I've had some failures to feed with about 5 of 60 Underwood XTP rounds. I believe the malfunctions occur around the 2-4 rounds in a fully loaded 10 round magazine.

The malfs are more prevalent in the magazine without the pinky extension, but I had one malf in a mag with the pinky extension. Gun just doesn't go fully into battery. I have grip issues, so it could be an issue that is personal to me.

I picked up the Underwood stuff recently -- I suppose I'll just go with some ball ammo.

It is a very pleasant gun to shoot.

GJM
07-15-2022, 10:40 AM
I like her reviewing style.

Negative review on this pistol.

https://youtu.be/S5ykvwyfbXI

cclark
09-21-2022, 09:19 AM
How’s everyone’s pistol performing after a few months since this last post? Looking to buy a first pistol for my girlfriend, she’s a little thing and I’m thinking this may be a good option. I’m going to have her shoot both the 9mm and .380 versions first to determine how recoil sensitive she is. 9mm is option 1 but if she finds it too snappy then I want her to still have something she can protect herself with.

Reliability is #1.

.380 too anemic or are there loads out there that perform acceptably? Gold dot, hornaday, etc.?

GJM
09-21-2022, 09:56 AM
A friend just got a new 365 .380 and has been experiencing reliability problems. Between that and reviews I have read, I get the impression that the .380 isn't as reliable as the 365 in 9.

Velo Dog
09-21-2022, 08:25 PM
.380 too anemic or are there loads out there that perform acceptably? Gold dot, hornaday, etc.?

9mm Luger has around 40% more wounding potential than .380 ACP, but roughly twice the recoil.

Pocket pistol cartridges like the .25, .32, & .380 ACP don't really benefit from hollow point ammunition like larger and more powerful handgun cartridges can. Expansion is less reliable but can cause underpenetration when it occurs.

I suggest one either stick with plain full metal jacket or ammo which uses the Hornady 90 gr. XTP hollow point.
The Hornady bullet doesn't always perform better than FMJ, but it is available to handloaders and has been offered in factory loadings from several manufacturers at an affordable price.

A friend just got a new 365 .380 and has been experiencing reliability problems. Between that and reviews I have read, I get the impression that the .380 isn't as reliable as the 365 in 9.

Disappointed, but not surprised. I think I'm more concerned with the dubious reliability of these small pistol cartridges than I am with their questionable terminal ballistics.

GJM
09-21-2022, 09:02 PM
Disappointed, but not surprised. I think I'm more concerned with the dubious reliability of these small pistol cartridges than I am with their questionable terminal ballistics.

Reliability trumps bullet performance in my book.

In addition, the target market of recoil sensitive users is likely less adept at manipulations generally and especially clearing stoppages.

idahojess
09-21-2022, 10:58 PM
In addition to my previous posts upthread I have shot 400 rounds of PMC ball with one failure to feed of that ammo.
I'm sorry I don't keep super accurate round counts, so I'm estimating by how many boxes I have left -- I don't buy 380 much. (I have some more on the way.)
I believe I've shot an additional 150-200 rounds of Fiocchi ball with no issues.

So I guess in total I'm around 700-750 rounds. Not a lot yet.

I sent the remaining Underwood xtp rounds I mentioned up thread back to them and they were determined to be in-spec. Underwood was very gracious in its customer service.

I had better luck with one 25 round box of American Gunner xtp, with no failures to feed. The ammo certainly seemed a little less "hot" than the standard power Underwood stuff. However, of course, after I bought 100-125 rounds more of the American Gunner (it is actually relatively cheap) I did have 2-3 failures to feed out of (I think) 75 rounds. So a lesser rate of failure, but still not good.

The malfs I had with the American Gunner xtp rounds occurred with the flat, no finger extension magazine, primarily on the second round. (I cleaned both mags).

Because I didn't want to spend 50 bucks for a magazine, I bought a pinky extension from tactical development (and no, Bob and Jay, it did not raise the capacity).

https://tactical.dev/collections/all-p365-sas-x-xl-products/products/medium-pinky-extension

It seems to work fine. I haven't put any more of the XTP ammo I have through it yet, though. My guess is that, to the extent I carry it, it will be with ball. It might work better with the Critical Defense, but I'm not sure it's worth buying for the cost/benefit.

As I mentioned upthread I do have an injured hand -- I type with six fingers... So malfs are not uncommon for me. (And yes, I typically carry a j-frame).

I will say this -- the gun is really nice to shoot and very accurate. Except for the xtp stuff, the malfs that I've had haven't been so frequent to be a pain in the ass (see Sig 290RS 380). The malfunctions are all failures to feed without going fully into battery and easy for me to clear.

The difficulty that I had when racking the slide earlier has resolved with the arachnigrip and the slide to barrel breaking in. The difficulty I had when racking was more from the tight fit, rather than a stiff recoil spring. Once the slide starts to move it isn't bad at all. Likewise, for me, to the extent that there have been malfunctions, I haven't had to fight the recoil spring to clear it. (Hopefully that makes sense).

The magazines are slightly easier to load, but still a pain. Because I've been looking at this gun with a suspect eye, I load them to full capacity when shooting, so I have to use a Maglula, which I don't really like.

Anyway, I still really enjoy the gun, fwiw.

zaitcev
09-23-2022, 10:33 AM
The difficulty that I had when racking the slide earlier has resolved with the arachnigrip and the slide to barrel breaking in. The difficulty I had when racking was more from the tight fit, rather than a stiff recoil spring. Once the slide starts to move it isn't bad at all.

One thing I found helping with this specific condition is a generous use of Hoppes No.9 for a little while. Shoot a couple of mags, break it up, wipe the old oil, dollop the new, in particular on the barrel hood and cam. Never seen any confirmation of this on any forums, but it helps the break-in for me. I even control-tested it on two identical Glock 42. After a period of time I wipe it all off and start a normal lubrication, following the manual if the lubrication regime is spelled out (like on PPQ).

This sounds like the stupidest gun range lore for sure: No.9 is not an abrasive that helps polish anything. I suspect that the oil somehow carries away the products of the initial wear. But I don't know.

Velo Dog
09-27-2022, 03:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcHQ1ZH0qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rcHQ1ZH0qc

pi3
10-04-2022, 03:08 PM
One thing I found helping with this specific condition is a generous use of Hoppes No.9 for a little while. Shoot a couple of mags, break it up, wipe the old oil, dollop the new, in particular on the barrel hood and cam. Never seen any confirmation of this on any forums, but it helps the break-in for me. I even control-tested it on two identical Glock 42. After a period of time I wipe it all off and start a normal lubrication, following the manual if the lubrication regime is spelled out (like on PPQ).

This sounds like the stupidest gun range lore for sure: No.9 is not an abrasive that helps polish anything. I suspect that the oil somehow carries away the products of the initial wear. But I don't know.

Didnt the 9 have the same issues when if first cam out. I would give it a year or two for sig to get it sorted out.

pi3
10-04-2022, 03:14 PM
Does the 365 .380 sorta kinda fill the same niche as did the 80-series Berettas?
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-beretta-cheetah-series-fun-size-duty-pistols/

365 offers better sights and more capacity.

Has anyone tried the 12 round mags?

idahojess
10-23-2022, 07:28 PM
I put another 249 rounds through my gun the past few weeks. 49 rounds of Hornady American Gunner XTP (for some reason there was 1 round missing out of a box) and the rest a mix of Fiocchi, Speer and PMC ball.

No issues in this last batch of rounds, unlike the issues I had upthread. I think I'm approaching around 1000 rounds.

Just one datapoint, of course.

lwt16
10-23-2022, 07:30 PM
Has anyone tried the 12 round mags?

Yes. Mine runs 100% with them.

Borderland
10-23-2022, 07:41 PM
Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. ;)

Not every old person is going to shoot you with 9 or 38. Might be a 380 or even a .22.

Trip to the ER in any event. They'll be asking some questions about a gun shot wound.

JCN
10-23-2022, 09:00 PM
Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. ;)

Not every old person is going to shoot you with 9 or 38. Might be a 380 or even a .22.

Trip to the ER in any event. They'll be asking some questions about a gun shot wound.

I’m finding compensators in these short guns to be game changing for me.

Borderland
10-23-2022, 09:10 PM
I had an HK4 (380) many years ago and thought it was a great little pistol. I gave it to a relative who needed it far more than I did.

I'm not seeing where the P-365 isn't a good idea for a lot of people who just need a pocket carry. Personally I don't own a 380 anymore but I can definitely see the utility.

awp_101
08-13-2023, 06:04 PM
I shot a rental 365-380 today and am deeply intrigued so I have a few questions.

Is it limited to the 365 grip module or will it take any of the aftermarket modules? If it will take the longer modules like the XL, how do the regular mags fit?

crosseyedshooter
08-13-2023, 06:45 PM
Yeah, it’s a neat little pistol. Everything P365 is compatible with a few minor caveats. I built one up with an X/XL grip module and use 12-round 9mm mags for the range and 12-round .380 mags for carry.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?51833-JCN-tests-P365-380&p=1457857&viewfull=1#post1457857

Up1911Fan
08-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Older thread, but does anyone have any recent experience with these? I'm a year or two out from starting my son out. Were at the stage of just working safe gun handling with a blue gun. I would like to find something small/slim with minimal recoil that also has an airsoft equivalent. I'm a fan of the 9mm P365 series, so this seems like a natural for the role I have in mind. Curious about reliability and recoil. Thanks.

PNWTO
08-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Older thread, but does anyone have any recent experience with these? I'm a year or two out from starting my son out. Were at the stage of just working safe gun handling with a blue gun. I would like to find something small/slim with minimal recoil that also has an airsoft equivalent. I'm a fan of the 9mm P365 series, so this seems like a natural for the role I have in mind. Curious about reliability and recoil. Thanks.

I’ll bump Up1911Fan and add another question (since too lazy to search thread): are these (380) generally seen as fitting well in OG 365 holsters.

crosseyedshooter
08-16-2024, 12:19 PM
I’ll bump Up1911Fan and add another question (since too lazy to search thread): are these (380) generally seen as fitting well in OG 365 holsters.

The .380 slide is a millimeter or two smaller off the top. Holsters that rest against the top of the slide will be a little loose. Red dot sights also sit a bit higher because the cut into the slide isn’t as deep as on the 9mm slides. You lose co-witness on the .380 unless you get taller sights than the 9mm.

Sig_Fiend
08-16-2024, 12:40 PM

The recoil on these is noticeably lighter than the 9mm. Reliability has been a problem. So far I've been through about a half dozen types of ammo (Speer Lawman, WWB, Fiocchi, Remington UMC, PMC, Tula, Armscor). With weak ammo and limp-wristing it's prone to failures to feed. With my grip, no issues. For my wife, she had quite a few failures to feed and eject. With the stock frame, problems were exacerbated for my wife. Even with the X/XL frame, she still had issues. Of the ammo I tested, it seems like ~960+fps would probably be better to ensure reliable cycling. Even Speer Lawman (945fps), which is typically a quality round, seemed a bit light for this and my wife had FTF's with it as well. So far I'm at just under 1K rounds through this gun.

In terms of holster fitment, it's been perfect in the few P365 holsters I have (Raven Morrigan, FIST 1K, two or three no-name brands).

I have mine configured with the X/XL sized frame so it's effectively a P365X configuration. In stock form it's just under 3.0oz lighter than the 9mm, which is nice. Also, just for fun, the Macro frame fits the 380. ;) However, there are no 380-specific mags I've seen that fit the Macro frame. I have tried loading the Macro mag with 380, which technically fits, but I have not fired it in that configuration yet. I'd suspect the amount of spring tension on the underside of the slide would prove problematic on the 380 in such a configuration, but that's just a guess.

I'm going to keep trying to make this gun work. That said, the release of the new S&W Bodyguard 2.0 seems like it may take the wind right out of the sails of the P365 .380, at least for me. ;) It's lighter than the P365 380 by about 6oz, which is nuts! Here's a list I compiled of some of the hotter ammo I could find:

Brand/Model
Grain
Type
Item Number
Velocity (fps)
Energy (ftlbs)

Perfecta
FMJ
PF380000
Unknown

Cor-Bon Self Defense
JHP
SD38090/20

Federal HST
JHP
P380HST1

Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics
JHP
380APHP

Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics
FMJ
FCH380AP

Federal Hydra-Shok
JHP
P380HS1G

Federal Hydra-Shok Micro
JHP
P380HSD1

Hornady Critical Defense
JHP

Hornady XTP
JHP

Hornady American Gunner XTP
JHP
90104, 90107

Winchester PDX1
JHP
S380PDB

Black Hills
JHP
D380N120

Browning X-Point
JHP
B191703802

Browning BXP
JHP
B191703801

Speer Gold Dot
JHP

Remington Express
JHP
R380A1

Remington HTP
JHP
RTP380A1

Remington UMC
JHP
L380A1B

New Republic Training and Range
FMJ
RTR380BR

Geco
FMJ
284 (questionable)

Federal Champion
FMJ
WMAE380

Federal Range Target Practice
FMJ
RTP38095

Federal American Eagle
FMJ
AE380AP

SIG Elite V-Crown
JHP
E380A150

SIG 365 EDC
JHP
E380A1-365-20

DoubleTap
JHP
380A95CE

Fiocchi Extrema XTP
JHP
380XTP25
Unknown

PMC Bronze
FMJ
380A-BP

Fiocchi Range Dynamics
FMJ
380ARD

Up1911Fan
08-16-2024, 12:44 PM
The recoil on these is noticeably lighter than the 9mm. Reliability has been a problem. So far I've been through about a half dozen types of ammo (Speer Lawman, WWB, Fiocchi, Remington UMC, PMC, Tula, Armscor). With weak ammo and limp-wristing it's prone to failures to feed. With my grip, no issues. For my wife, she had quite a few failures to feed and eject. With the stock frame, problems were exacerbated for my wife. Even with the X/XL frame, she still had issues. Of the ammo I tested, it seems like ~960+fps would probably be better to ensure reliable cycling. Even Speer Lawman (945fps), which is typically a quality round, seemed a bit light for this and my wife had FTF's with it as well. So far I'm at just under 1K rounds through this gun.

In terms of holster fitment, it's been perfect in the few P365 holsters I have (Raven Morrigan, FIST 1K, two or three no-name brands).

I have mine configured with the X/XL sized frame so it's effectively a P365X configuration. In stock form it's just under 3.0oz lighter than the 9mm, which is nice. Also, just for fun, the Macro frame fits the 380. ;) However, there are no 380-specific mags I've seen that fit the Macro frame. I have tried loading the Macro mag with 380, which technically fits, but I have not fired it in that configuration yet. I'd suspect the amount of spring tension on the underside of the slide would prove problematic on the 380 in such a configuration, but that's just a guess.

I'm going to keep trying to make this gun work. That said, the release of the new S&W Bodyguard 2.0 seems like it may take the wind right out of the sails of the P365 .380, at least for me. ;) It's lighter than the P365 380 by about 6oz, which is nuts! Here's a list I compiled of some of the hotter ammo I could find:

Brand/Model
Grain
Type
Item Number
Velocity (fps)
Energy (ftlbs)

Perfecta
FMJ
PF380000
Unknown

Cor-Bon Self Defense
JHP