PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you can't remove a pin?

F-Trooper05
08-25-2012, 10:57 AM
So I'm trying to remove the gas block taper pin on my gun, and it won't budge. I'm going from left to right, using several different sized punches and hammers, and I've even tried heating up the metal with a blow torch, but the pin hasn't moved at all, and it's beginning to mushroom pretty badly. What are my options? I've ordered a new taper pin in the event that this one is destroyed.

orionz06
08-25-2012, 01:03 PM
Try going the opposite way, even just a quick tap or two.

jstyer
08-25-2012, 01:30 PM
If all else fails, drill it out... If even that fails, cutoff the gas block and buy another.

Shawn.L
08-25-2012, 01:43 PM
before you drill anything try heating it up. Ive had several pins (thank you CZ) that seemed like they where just part of metal no way to budge and a quick hit with a torch or over a gas stove and they came right out.

JodyH
08-25-2012, 04:37 PM
You might also try leaving it in the freezer overnight then heating it with a propane torch.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

F-Trooper05
08-25-2012, 05:30 PM
You might also try leaving it in the freezer overnight then heating it with a propane torch.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Can't that crack the metal?

JM Campbell
08-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Maw...it's. Like removing pressed in bearing using heat and cold. Hot race and gold bearings and wooolaa done deal.

In this case. Two hours in the freezer the blow torch over the pin and smack that baby out with a punch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Dave J
08-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Something that sometimes works for stuck fasteners is to apply heat them, then apply a little penetrating oil, or beeswax if you're really old school. The oil or wax will quickly wick it's way between the parts -- you can assist this effect with some light hammer taps to vibrate the pieces.

Also, I'd be tempted to try giving the FSB a little nudge clockwise or counterclockwise. If the FSB took a side impact at some point in the past, it might be applying a torsional load on the taper pins, causing the binding you're experiencing.

Sorry I can't be more help. The few FSBs I've removed all gave up fairly easily with penetrating oil and a punch.

Good luck,
Dave

orionz06
08-25-2012, 06:52 PM
I can second the freezing. Use a can of compressed air for dusting and turn it upside down, works like a charm most of the time. Last pins I had an issue with were with a 6920 purchased new in 12/2011. Had to heat and beat from both sides until it popped.

NMBigfoot02
08-25-2012, 08:40 PM
I've been able to remove an AK barrel pin after freezing the assembly with a hammer and punch.

F-Trooper05
08-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Ok I got it out. I used a blow torch and let my brother in-law do the hammering. Thanks, fellas.

Joe in PNG
08-26-2012, 02:35 AM
Wait, wait, I had a good tip! Once, I had a really stubborn roll pin on a Subaru front axle, and didn't notice it was a roll pin up until I wedged a punch inside it, and broke it off. After too much time wacking it with a hammer, I used one of those pneumatic palm hammers used for tight spaces. Blasted it right out!