View Full Version : LTT SCD

Pages : [1] 2

Controlledpairs2
02-15-2022, 04:07 PM
Yes!

https://youtu.be/1ufM6p_BFuU

RancidSumo
02-15-2022, 04:13 PM
Direct link since it took me a minute to find on the website - https://langdontactical.com/ltt-striker-control-device-scd/

Joe in PNG
02-15-2022, 04:19 PM
Woo hoo!

jh9
02-15-2022, 04:24 PM
Direct link since it took me a minute to find on the website - https://langdontactical.com/ltt-striker-control-device-scd/

PLEASE do not email us asking for it. It’s coming

*ahem*

Would it be a reasonable assumption that it's coming...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

... soon?

pangloss
02-15-2022, 04:24 PM
Great news!

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Gaston
02-15-2022, 04:26 PM
Glad to see them back in production. I'd love to see one for Shadow System slides, but I suspect that's unlikely.

Yung
02-15-2022, 04:36 PM
Reading the product description text just made me feel good inside.

HeavyDuty
02-15-2022, 04:41 PM
“Right now” when referring to Glocks? Hmmm…

TC215
02-15-2022, 04:48 PM
Great news. Just ordered two.

HeavyDuty
02-15-2022, 04:50 PM
TheNewbie

ubervic
02-15-2022, 04:52 PM
Best news I've heard in a good while. Ordered!

GlockenSpiel
02-15-2022, 04:54 PM
This is EXTREMELY unsafe!... in that I nearly fell on my face running to grab my credit card.

Clusterfrack
02-15-2022, 04:54 PM
Outstanding.

Hieronymous
02-15-2022, 05:11 PM
A part of this that I really appreciate is the attribution to Tom and Todd. This clever invention is such a value added to one of the worlds most dominant pistol platforms, I'm glad to think it will now only grow in popularity.

JAH 3rd
02-15-2022, 05:11 PM
Ordered!

Leroy Suggs
02-15-2022, 05:15 PM
Ordered slimline g43.

DiscipulusArmorum
02-15-2022, 05:27 PM
Sweet! No reason to wait on the LTT version for the slimline guns, right?

TheNewbie
02-15-2022, 05:34 PM
TheNewbie

Woooot!

This is the first day I’ve felt decent in about 10-12 days. What a great way to celebrate.

Cory
02-15-2022, 05:36 PM
This is exciting news. I'm a Beretta guy, but I really like being able to thumb the action during holster. For polymer/striker guns I like Glock, and they definitely have a role for me. My G17 has a TauDev gadget and I'm glad to know any future Glocks could as well.

boing
02-15-2022, 05:58 PM
This brings Glocks back on the table for me.

I’m glad to see this product come back in the hands of someone like Langdon, but I wonder if they’re being machined in house or outsourced. The plates for the PX4 red dot system that he sells come with CHPWS literature. I like to know who I’m really doing business with, even if by extension.

TOTS
02-15-2022, 06:15 PM
Gott da$! It!!! I just bought into M&P because no gadgets on the horizon (and admittedly, other reasons) and now they are back!!!

Nah, this is a good thing.

ASH556
02-15-2022, 06:20 PM
2 inbound

JHC
02-15-2022, 06:23 PM
What a great place to land!

FreedomFries
02-15-2022, 06:28 PM
In for 4 of them. I was about to resort to dremeling some Gen 1-4 versions to fit the Gen 5. Guess I won't need to do that now.

HeavyDuty
02-15-2022, 06:42 PM
The SCD stands on its own merit, but I see this as opening them up to a lot more exposure. Maybe we will see them more commonly in use?

Props to Todd (RIP) and Tom for developing what I consider to be the single best improvement to Glocks.

farscott
02-15-2022, 06:52 PM
Nice that a class act like LTT is offering the SCD and attributing the development to TLG and Tom Jones.

MandoWookie
02-15-2022, 07:09 PM
Anybody know ETA on Gen1-4 SCDs? Or if the Gen 5s are backward compatible?

Joe in PNG
02-15-2022, 07:22 PM
I was considering getting back into Glocks, and this just confirms it.

Screwball
02-15-2022, 07:39 PM
I’m torn…

I had one on my 30S, which I loved. But when we switched to Glocks (sold the 30S shortly after that), I don’t know if I’d want to run personal guns with it and the duty gun without.

Just wouldn’t want to default to thumbing the slide plate when holstering the duty gun (without it) IWB or AIWB.

Duty gun is a 19 Gen 5 MOS. Have a P80 (retro), and likely picking up a 34 Gen 3 and 26 Gen 5. Might just keep them all alike.

I am glad LTT is putting them out. [emoji106]

feudist
02-15-2022, 08:13 PM
Just ordered the Gen5.

Now I have to buy a Gen5.

GlockenSpiel
02-15-2022, 08:16 PM
I’m torn…

I had one on my 30S, which I loved. But when we switched to Glocks (sold the 30S shortly after that), I don’t know if I’d want to run personal guns with it and the duty gun without.
]

I see your point, but it's not like the scd really affects your manual of arms very much (i.e. there is no safety switch or decocker present which you need to remember to use). I was already putting my thumb on the backplate, reholstering slowly, etc. before the scd was an option. Part of the appeal is it's completely passive *until* there is a problem.

Duckysattva
02-15-2022, 08:38 PM
Anybody know ETA on Gen1-4 SCDs? Or if the Gen 5s are backward compatible?

Backwards compatible with previous generation guns per LTT.

MandoWookie
02-15-2022, 08:45 PM

Thank you, couldn't find that on the page.

xmanhockey7
02-15-2022, 08:51 PM
I wonder if they will offer for non Gen 5 Glocks as well. I’m mostly using Gen 3 and only have one in a G19.

RevolverRob
02-15-2022, 08:57 PM
I wonder if they will offer for non Gen 5 Glocks as well. I’m mostly using Gen 3 and only have one in a G19.

Backwards compatible. A Gen5 works with a Gen3 gun.

-

I have zero Glocks. And may still buy a couple. Because reasons I can't explain.

Hstanton1
02-15-2022, 09:34 PM
So…

What striker fired pistols could have the SCD translated to them? That possibility (probably) is one of the most exciting parts of the video to me.

SeriousStudent
02-15-2022, 09:36 PM
This is outstanding news! I am truly delighted that Tom and Ernest were able to accomplish this.

I'd also like to think that Todd is smiling somewhere, seeing the Gadget lives on. :)

David S.
02-15-2022, 09:38 PM
This is outstanding news! I am truly delighted that Tom and Ernest were able to accomplish this.

I'd also like to think that Todd is smiling somewhere, seeing the Gadget lives on. :)

.....and seeing his BFF Ernest selling them.

SeriousStudent
02-15-2022, 09:40 PM
.....and seeing his BFF Ernest selling them.

In accordance with The Prophecy..... :)

Only fitting, as the keeper of the FAST standards and coins.

MandoWookie
02-15-2022, 09:41 PM
So…

What striker fired pistols could have the SCD translated to them? That possibility (probably) is one of the most exciting parts of the video to me.

IIRC Tom said the S&W SD series would be easiest as it was almost a drop in from the Glock version.

But I doubt that will be a big seller.

Duckysattva
02-15-2022, 09:45 PM

MandoWookie, Apologies, I have to eat my words here.

I read through the description too quickly on the LTT website via my cell phone earlier and the LTT site doesn't say what I thought I read initially. It says it works with all of the Gen 5 Glocks, in my haste and due to multi-tasking, I misread it to say it worked with all including Gen 5 Glocks so I'm feeling pretty foolish here.

I'll say that until I saw this today, I was in the same boat as FreedomFries and have 2 or 3 Gen 1-4 SCDs that I've taken off of my other Glocks and have been studying on how to modify them for Gen 5s. The only real difference I can find in all the measurements is the gap in the right side cutout in the backplate - on the Gen 1-4 SCD it measures between .150-.153 in width and is radiused. The Gen 5 backplate is between .192-.194 and is a square cutout. Based off of everything I'm seeing if you use a Gen 5 SCD on a Gen 1-4 gun, you'll just have extra clearance on the right-side cutout on the Gadget between it and your connector.

If you'd rather not have the extra clearance and bought one of the Gen 5s based off of my stupid comment, I'll buy it off of you or I can part with a Gen 1-4 SCD.

Hstanton1
02-15-2022, 09:51 PM
IIRC Tom said the S&W SD series would be easiest as it was almost a drop in from the Glock version.

But I doubt that will be a big seller.

That and the hellcat were the ones that jumped to mind first. I’d imagine the hellcat will come sooner rather than later since LTT already works on them.

Can’t think off the top of my head if the P320 uses a fully tensioned striker or not, but that’s a pistol I’d love to have a SCD on.

HCM
02-15-2022, 10:23 PM
That and the hellcat were the ones that jumped to mind first. I’d imagine the hellcat will come sooner rather than later since LTT already works on them.

Can’t think off the top of my head if the P320 uses a fully tensioned striker or not, but that’s a pistol I’d love to have a SCD on.

The P320 does use a fully tensioned striker.

Navin Johnson
02-16-2022, 12:06 AM
So…

Sorry about the corn flakes but It would only work on a partially or non tensioned striker (assuming this is obvious).....So in other words almost none.

GlockenSpiel
02-16-2022, 12:13 AM
Copying from my cell phone, because I'm a nerd that keeps track of this...

Not fully cocked (theoretically scd capable):
Glock
Walther PPS
Cz p10

Fully cocked:
M&P
XD
P320
PPQ / PDP
HK VP

?
APX?
Steyr M? This may have been changed from one gen to another, recent guns appear fully cocked
Hellcat?

RancidSumo
02-16-2022, 12:29 AM
I'd be interested to know what % of SCD sales come from this forum. Pre-LTT, I'd have to guess its a pretty high number. I know I first discovered it lurking here years ago before I became a Glock shooter and it was the first thing I bought after I picked up my first G19.

Bucky
02-16-2022, 05:54 AM
I’m torn…

Just wouldn’t want to default to thumbing the slide plate when holstering the duty gun (without it) IWB or AIWB.

Thumbing the slide, even without an SCD, at least ensures the slide stays in battery.

Hambo
02-16-2022, 06:15 AM

Glock
Walther PPS
Cz p10

Fully cocked:
M&P
XD
P320
PPQ / PDP
HK VP

?
APX?
Steyr M? This may have been changed from one gen to another, recent guns appear fully cocked
Hellcat?

Thanks for posting that. Where does the P365 fall on the list?

Chris17404
02-16-2022, 07:29 AM
Ugh. They're all out of stock already.

Elwin
02-16-2022, 08:21 AM
I’ll just add here in case it’s helpful that in a past thread, I asked how a gun with a fully tensioned striker could use an SCD. Tom actually replied explaining that he had looked into it and it was possible. One method he mentioned (there may be others, I don’t know) was an SCD that acts on the trigger bar as it moves rearward. I also recall that he or someone else mentioned that the SCD patent covers the possibility of being made for fully tensioned striker guns.

So, Ernest, I would absolutely love a PPQ/PDP SCD, thanks.

Hstanton1
02-16-2022, 08:24 AM
Sorry about the corn flakes but It would only work on a partially or non tensioned striker (assuming this is obvious).....So in other words almost none.

No worries, I know this design would be a no go on fully tensioned strikers, I just don’t know which pistols that encompasses. Looks like a pretty good list was put together though.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
02-16-2022, 08:37 AM
If one were to holster quickly and forcefully with finger on SCD firmly, would it prevent discharge? I can't help but think this would be the default programming if you were to reholster with an adrenaline dump without even perceiving it... assuming of course you remember to SCD before holstering would it make a difference?

RoyGBiv
02-16-2022, 08:56 AM
If one were to holster quickly and forcefully with finger on SCD firmly, would it prevent discharge? I can't help but think this would be the default programming if you were to reholster with an adrenaline dump without even perceiving it... assuming of course you remember to SCD before holstering would it make a difference?

If you're reaching for something across the table and your hand touches a glass full of water, are you able to stop your action in time to prevent the glass from tipping over?

IMO (FWIW) the SCD, similar to your hand moving across the table, requires the user to pay some attention to it while in use. Training and repetition builds awareness. But, just like swinging a hand across the table, jamming your gat in your pants and forgetting to pay attention to your thumb... is possible.

If your thumb is "firmly" on the SCD, you should have time to stop yourself from a UD. But, human.

TheNewbie
02-16-2022, 09:07 AM

For me it did not work as well as a hammer on a TDA gun does. My solution was to use it in combination with NY1 triggers, which made it more positive and more hammer like. Still not as good, but close.

LTT just needs to do a Glock manual safety and all will be right with the world.

All that said, I believe the SCD is a crucial add on to a Glock and if I ran an organization that issued Glocks, they would be mandatory on every gun carried on duty.

TeeBee
02-16-2022, 09:08 AM

Glock
Walther PPS
Cz p10

Fully cocked:
M&P
XD
P320
PPQ / PDP
HK VP

?
APX?
Hellcat?

Maybe a SCD would give a significant increase in leverage to control the PPS striker. However, when pulling the PPS trigger, the striker extends from the slide backplate. To me, it seems like the gun already has the functionality of the SCD.

MickAK
02-16-2022, 09:11 AM
Maybe a SCD would give a significant increase in leverage to control the PPS striker. However, when pulling the PPS trigger, the striker extends from the slide backplate. To me, it seems like the gun already has the functionality of the SCD.

The loaded chamber indicator on the PPS can function as a SCD if you hammer your thumb into it but you lose the functionality with gloves.

BWT
02-16-2022, 09:20 AM

The force on the SCD would have to be greater than the force on the trigger.

The SCD IMHO (more experienced folks welcome) was created to create a similar level of protection to a DA hammer thumbed down. If something comes in the trigger guard and pushes on a DA trigger, that hammer will have to travel far enough back to then release and strike the firing pin to fire. The point of the SCD is not to just shove the gun in the holster anyway, but more of make you aware something was pushing on the trigger.

Similar with an SCD because the trigger will have to travel far enough back to move and engage the SCD. Now I’m not a mechanical engineer or intimately familiar with the Glocks at that level. But the SCD when depressed blocks the trigger bar I believe from completing tensioning and then releasing the striker.

I would think in theory even if a fully tensioned striker example what would need to happen is create a plate that would block the trigger, trigger bar, or any set of components from releasing the striker regardless of being fully or partially tensioned.

I would think this is possible, but most manufacturers probably have not built their guns to have enough clearance to attach this. However, I think it could be possible, but as the Glock SCD did - it would take significant time, testing, and evaluation before releasing to us knuckle heads. That being said… it was two guys hobbies/part-time business having some market success and selling these out or having someone like Ernest who has strong relations with lots of different manufacturers may change that.

Just my $.02

Glocks made sense because it was the biggest ROI for this item IMHO. If you made a set of sights and wanted to sell them or holster - it would be hard to go wrong with first making a set that fit Glocks.

Biggy
02-16-2022, 09:33 AM
TheNewbie

I sold all my SCD’s. There is nothing wrong with them, but of course ts you still have to remember to use it 100% everytime. You can train until the cows come home, but if you can’t remember to keep your finger out of the trigger guard and off the trigger, or remember to engage or disengage a manual safety on a pistol *everytime*, I am sure the same thing could and has happened using the SCD.

beenalongtime
02-16-2022, 09:38 AM

Now where would your thumb be?
If your finger was on the SCD and not the trigger, and you didn't catch on something with the trigger, and keep pushing, ignoring the SCD warning you, then yes.

Controlledpairs2
02-16-2022, 09:39 AM
In my experience, if I had my thumb on the SCD and I tried to pull the trigger, my trigger finger could not overcome the force of my thumb on the SCD. This was with my other fingers still gripping the frame during holstering. As I used them, I didn't depend on the SCD in a manner where my thumb has to feel the SCD move. Rather, if the gun and trigger were interrupted during holstering, I expected the entire gun to stop as i kept pressure on the SCD. I would know something is "off" here and something needs to be addressed, either debris removed or realize I had not removed my finger out of the trigger guard.

Adds layers of safety with no perceivable obstacles to shooting performance.

Watching on social media, this device is widely misunderstood and irrationally attacked...

BWT
02-16-2022, 09:56 AM
In my experience, if I had my thumb on the SCD and I tried to pull the trigger, my trigger finger could not overcome the force of my thumb on the SCD. This was with my other fingers still gripping the frame during holstering. As I used them, I didn't depend on the SCD in a manner where my thumb has to feel the SCD move. Rather, if the gun and trigger were interrupted during holstering, I expected the entire gun to stop as i kept pressure on the SCD. I would know something is "off" here and something needs to be addressed, either debris removed or realize I had not removed my finger out of the trigger guard.

Adds layers of safety with no perceivable obstacles to shooting performance.

Watching on social media, this device is widely misunderstood and irrationally attacked...

Agreed about it being attacked needlessly.

I’d draw a parallel to another technology I debated earlier this week on firearms but why provoke it.

Just an incremental improvement IMHO.

ubervic
02-16-2022, 10:11 AM

Seems consistent with the dynamics of social media in general. :)

blues
02-16-2022, 10:21 AM
Maybe LTT should rename the SCD the "Dangerfield".

Seems fitting on more than one level.

Duelist
02-16-2022, 11:11 AM
The force on the SCD would have to be greater than the force on the trigger.

The SCD IMHO (more experienced folks welcome) was created to create a similar level of protection to a DA hammer thumbed down. If something comes in the trigger guard and pushes on a DA trigger, that hammer will have to travel far enough back to then release and strike the firing pin to fire. The point of the SCD is not to just shove the gun in the holster anyway, but more of make you aware something was pushing on the trigger.

Similar with an SCD because the trigger will have to travel far enough back to move and engage the SCD. Now I’m not a mechanical engineer or intimately familiar with the Glocks at that level. But the SCD when depressed blocks the trigger bar I believe from completing tensioning and then releasing the striker.

I would think in theory even if a fully tensioned striker example what would need to happen is create a plate that would block the trigger, trigger bar, or any set of components from releasing the striker regardless of being fully or partially tensioned.

I would think this is possible, but most manufacturers probably have not built their guns to have enough clearance to attach this. However, I think it could be possible, but as the Glock SCD did - it would take significant time, testing, and evaluation before releasing to us knuckle heads. That being said… it was two guys hobbies/part-time business having some market success and selling these out or having someone like Ernest who has strong relations with lots of different manufacturers may change that.

Just my $.02

Glocks made sense because it was the biggest ROI for this item IMHO. If you made a set of sights and wanted to sell them or holster - it would be hard to go wrong with first making a set that fit Glocks.

Agree in principle with everything except the bolded section. The striker control device, as designed for a Glock, directly blocks the rearward movement of the striker itself, hence the name of the device is “striker control device”.

A similar device for a fully tensioned striker would have to directly block the trigger bar movement to the rear, but the SCD for Glocks is blocking the partially tensioned Glock striker, so the trigger bar movement is prevented by the striker not moving due to pressure on the SCD backplate.

All of my Glocks except the G44 have an SCD and always will. If someone makes one for the G44, I will buy 3.

BWT
02-16-2022, 11:12 AM
Agree in principle with everything except the bolded section. The striker control device, as designed for a Glock, directly blocks the rearward movement of the striker itself, hence the name of the device is “striker control device”.

A similar device for a fully tensioned striker would have to directly block the trigger bar movement to the rear, but the SCD for Glocks is blocking the partially tensioned Glock striker, so the trigger bar movement is prevented by the striker not moving due to pressure on the SCD backplate.

All of my Glocks except the G44 have an SCD and always will. If someone makes one for the G44, I will buy 3.

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks for clarifying.

JCN
02-16-2022, 11:26 AM

Is it possible to modify an existing SCD to fit your G44? Do you know where the incompatibility is?

lee n. field
02-16-2022, 12:50 PM

Glock
Walther PPS
Cz p10

Fully cocked:
M&P
XD
P320
PPQ / PDP
HK VP

?
APX?
Hellcat?

XDS (not XD) is partially tensioned. Slide and striker arrangement is very similar to a Glock's.

Duelist
02-16-2022, 12:57 PM
Is it possible to modify an existing SCD to fit your G44? Do you know where the incompatibility is?

This I do not know. Tom told me they aren’t compatible with any existing SCD, and he intended to make G44 SCDs, but I guess Soon(tm) never happened in that case before she shut down production.

JCN
02-16-2022, 01:02 PM
This I do not know. Tom told me they aren’t compatible with any existing SCD, and he intended to make G44 SCDs, but I guess Soon(tm) never happened in that case before she shut down production.

Depending on your motivation and Dremel skills you might be able to make it happen…

I modified one to fit an MR920.

Sauer Koch
02-16-2022, 01:22 PM
Obviously, the fact of the matter is, the SCD makes a Glock safer, although most Glock owners have never heard of it. Add to that, the mentality of "why spend the money on that, JUST HOLSTER SLOWLY", as I heard a local trainer say.

You can lead a horse...

Hot Sauce
02-16-2022, 02:00 PM

Glock
Walther PPS
Cz p10

Fully cocked:
M&P
XD
P320
PPQ / PDP
HK VP

?
APX?
Hellcat?

I think the likelihood of a Gadget coming to fruition for any of these will probably be a combination engineering ease and actual popularity of the model pistol.

The way I see it, and LTT may be well positioned to do it, a lot of evangelizing will be required to just get Glock owners to adopt the existing Gadget--and Glocks are ubiquitous.

With the above thoughts in mind, I'd guess it'd be a long while before Gadgets come to fruition for any other pistol. If CZ P10 sales/adoption is really high, it might be the best potential next bet.

What would do real wonders for popular adoption of this sort of mechanism is for a decent-sized LE agency to allow it on their Glocks. Probably a long shot.

Hot Sauce
02-16-2022, 02:10 PM

From another SCD thread (they are quickly multiplying):

It stops movement very effectively, it's just a matter of proper positioning to establish good leverage.

I use the first thumb joint (all bony bony, no squishy squishy) on the bottom of the SCD, which is equivalent to thumbing the top of the hammer/hammer spur. Except the hammer is more forgiving re: finger placement and forward pressure.

Bone contact and firm forward pressure = no give.

Hstanton1
02-16-2022, 02:21 PM
I think the likelihood of a Gadget coming to fruition for any of these will probably be a combination engineering ease and actual popularity of the model pistol.

The way I see it, and LTT may be well positioned to do it, a lot of evangelizing will be required to just get Glock owners to adopt the existing Gadget--and Glocks are ubiquitous.

With the above thoughts in mind, I'd guess it'd be a long while before Gadgets come to fruition for any other pistol. If CZ P10 sales/adoption is really high, it might be the best potential next bet.

What would do real wonders for popular adoption of this sort of mechanism is for a decent-sized LE agency to allow it on their Glocks. Probably a long shot.

Given the popularity of the P320 and the fact that the patent for the SCD covers designs that work based on the trigger bar as opposed to the striker, I could see one for it or the P365 coming out sooner than the p10. That depends on the specific challenges involved with that type of SCD design though.

ubervic
02-16-2022, 02:25 PM
I've already received a shipping notification. Hot damn!

GlockenSpiel
02-16-2022, 03:06 PM
Given the popularity of the P320 and the fact that the patent for the SCD covers designs that work based on the trigger bar as opposed to the striker, I could see one for it or the P365 coming out sooner than the p10. That depends on the specific challenges involved with that type of SCD design though.

I don't know about the 365, but the 320 actually works by pushing the trigger bar forward so that should make it harder to implement at the very least.

I generally agree we're not likely to see these on other guns, but just having them on glocks I'm pretty excited about.

Hstanton1
02-16-2022, 03:12 PM
I don't know about the 365, but the 320 actually works by pushing the trigger bar forward so that should make it harder to implement at the very least.

I generally agree we're not likely to see these on other guns, but just having them on glocks I'm pretty excited about.

Did not know that, it certainly complicates things!

You’re right though, just having these back on the market for glock, and hopefully in greater numbers is a win.

Sig_Fiend
02-16-2022, 03:58 PM
On the subject of the P320, I feel like it would be a huge market opportunity. A similar product for those would have to be entirely different in function. Ideally it would be one that, upon applying pressure, would physically lock the sear in place and prevent movement. Just a guess, but I feel like the sear is key on that platform, considering the fully-tensioned nature of the striker. I can't currently see how that would even be possible without modification to the FCU, but one can dream. ;)

JAH 3rd
02-16-2022, 04:40 PM
Ordered yesterday and shipped today.

Screwball
02-16-2022, 05:41 PM
I see your point, but it's not like the scd really affects your manual of arms very much (i.e. there is no safety switch or decocker present which you need to remember to use). I was already putting my thumb on the backplate, reholstering slowly, etc. before the scd was an option. Part of the appeal is it's completely passive *until* there is a problem.

Thumbing the slide, even without an SCD, at least ensures the slide stays in battery.

My issue isn’t putting my thumb on the back of the slide… being I do it already.

My issue is that if there is an “oh s***” situation and something is engaging the trigger… I don’t like feeling it on one gun and not the other.

I get it isn’t an alternative to safety, but it is a noticeably different method of operation when compared to a Glock without it. Ultimately in the slide plate, it is comparing a Glock to a TDA pistol.

I went thru similar with slide mounted decockers/safeties. Started with a 96G Centurion conversion slide… but a 92FS pistol. All my PX4s were G models, and I eventually converted my 92 to G with the Beretta kit. Once that was done, I had my S&W 1006 converted to the TSW cut, and had a decocker installed. So across the board, didn’t have to worry about the safety being in the safe position. If I got another Beretta… a G model or G conversion would be in order. I want it the same across the board.

My post shouldn’t be taken as “the SCD is a gimmick…” being I had it and loved it. But until I get issued something other than a Glock… or I’m allowed to add the SCD on my duty gun… it isn’t something I want in the mix.

Sensei
02-16-2022, 07:14 PM
Nice that a class act like LTT is offering the SCD and attributing the development to TLG and Tom Jones.

The shooting community currently has no greater friend than LTT.

David S.
02-16-2022, 07:29 PM
Depending on your motivation and Dremel skills you might be able to make it happen…

I modified one to fit an MR920.

I'd like to see details on that.

joshs
02-16-2022, 07:41 PM
, but it is a noticeably different method of operation when compared to a Glock without it.

How? I've been using Glocks with and without gadgets for a long time. I don't do anything differently.

I get wanting a decocker to work the same way across different guns because it's something that takes active manipulation from the shooter. With a gadget (or without) I ride my thumb on the backplate the same way and still reholster reluctantly.

JCN
02-16-2022, 07:56 PM
I'd like to see details on that.

I used a Gen3/4 SCD and thinned the tabs with a Dremel and it worked well without issue.

I can take it off and take caliper measurements if it’s helpful, but basically mimic the factory Shadow Systems tab thickness and you’ll be good.

I’m kind of an impatient guy with an extremely internal locus of control, so if I want something and it’s not available at any price in the time frame I want it, I’ll try and come up with a solution myself.

It often involves a Dremel. Hahaha.

Let me know if I can help. I think it took maybe 10 careful minutes to do.

I have more milling / router small bits now so I could probably make a cleaner 90 degree grind now. But I used what I had handy.

David S.
02-16-2022, 08:42 PM
I used a Gen3/4 SCD and thinned the tabs with a Dremel and it worked well without issue.

The SCD sits at goofy angle, but works. That's awesome. Thx

Screwball
02-16-2022, 08:50 PM
How? I've been using Glocks with and without gadgets for a long time. I don't do anything differently.

I get wanting a decocker to work the same way across different guns because it's something that takes active manipulation from the shooter. With a gadget (or without) I ride my thumb on the backplate the same way and still reholster reluctantly.

I’m glad for you… I just don’t see it similarly.

If I’m going to get feedback on all of my personal Glocks of an issue during holstering, and not the one that is the more important one I carry (for at least 80 hours every two weeks… it’s on me)… I rather not get to a point where I don’t feel it coming back and just think there isn’t an issue when I’m actually just feeling the OEM slide plate. I see that as a problem if I can’t put a SCD on all of the Glocks I shoot… and I am not able to put it on my duty gun.

To me, rather just have the same cognizance across the board. And for as far as I care, that’s how I’ll move forward with it. None of my posts were made to turn people away from the SCD, as I just gave my stance. Was pretty clear that I stated it is a product I liked.

I’ve said it three times already; I do like the SCD. And I’m glad they are available again, being options are great for people. But while I see people complain about others not giving it a fair chance, it is funny to see people also tell me my view that I want all the Glocks I’m shooting to run identically is “wrong.” Sorry that I make that decision for the guns I buy/shoot.

BWT
02-16-2022, 09:02 PM
I’m glad for you… I just don’t see it similarly.

If I’m going to get feedback on all of my personal Glocks of an issue during holstering, and not the one that is the more important one I carry (for at least 80 hours every two weeks… it’s on me)… I rather not get to a point where I don’t feel it coming back and just think there isn’t an issue when I’m actually just feeling the OEM slide plate. I see that as a problem if I can’t put a SCD on all of the Glocks I shoot… and I am not able to put it on my duty gun.

To me, rather just have the same cognizance across the board. And for as far as I care, that’s how I’ll move forward with it. None of my posts were made to turn people away from the SCD, as I just gave my stance. Was pretty clear that I stated it is a product I liked.

I’ve said it three times already; I do like the SCD. And I’m glad they are available again, being options are great for people. But while I see people complain about others not giving it a fair chance, it is funny to see people also tell me my view that I want all the Glocks I’m shooting to run identically is “wrong.” Sorry that I make that decision for the guns I buy/shoot.

All I heard is you don’t like the SCD. Just kidding, but I think the reason you’re getting pushback is you came and offered that opinion in a thread of folks that are excited for its resurgence. I wouldn’t get too down in the weeds other then that.

Screwball
02-16-2022, 09:17 PM
All I heard is you don’t like the SCD. Just kidding, but I think the reason you’re getting pushback is you came and offered that opinion in a thread of folks that are excited for its resurgence. I wouldn’t get too down in the weeds other then that.

[emoji1787]

I hear you. Trust me, I’m far from losing sleep over it. I just like to point out “pot meet kettle” instances.

If someone only will carry a Glock with a SCD, then it definitely has it’s positives in that person’s situation. And for LTT to start putting them out, shouldn’t have any problems getting them in the future.

JCN
02-16-2022, 09:24 PM
The SCD sits at goofy angle, but works. That's awesome. Thx

The SCD actually sits perfectly perpendicular to the striker… it’s just that the back of the slide is angled and the thin factory backplate has a tapered top IIRC. So it just sticks out because it’s thicker but the crucial geometry is all still in line.

Think of it like a hood cutout on a 70s muscle car for ITBs. :D

Joe in PNG
02-16-2022, 10:32 PM
Screwball's reasoning makes perfect sense- if he can't have an SCD on his main service gun because of policy, it's probably better to not have it on any of one's Glocks.

WobblyPossum
02-17-2022, 10:26 AM
I’m in a similar situation as Screwball in that I carry a Glock at work but can’t modify it except for what kind of sighting system I want. I still use SCDs on my non-duty Glocks. I am going to do more practice with the non-duty guns to save wear and tear on the duty guns. I try to only shoot the duty guns at qualification and required training days. Since I’m drawing and shooting the non-duty Glocks much more often, I believe the risk of an ND while holstering is higher just due to the number of draws and reholsters the guns see. The SCD helps me mitigate that with the primary training guns. Knowing myself, I believe I’m more likely to have a safety slip-up after a long training session that’s physically and mentally fatiguing than I am after a single stressful event like a use of force. The SCD makes more of a difference to me with the practice guns.

Totem Polar
02-17-2022, 11:44 AM
From another SCD thread (they are quickly multiplying):

It stops movement very effectively, it's just a matter of proper positioning to establish good leverage.

I use the first thumb joint (all bony bony, no squishy squishy) on the bottom of the SCD, which is equivalent to thumbing the top of the hammer/hammer spur. Except the hammer is more forgiving re: finger placement and forward pressure.

Bone contact and firm forward pressure = no give.

This. Proper thumb placement is a very positive block.

GearFondler
02-17-2022, 02:40 PM
During the initial R&D, trigger bars were bent trying to overcome the SCD... I think that covers most scenarios.

Hstanton1
02-17-2022, 03:29 PM
During the initial R&D, trigger bars were bent trying to overcome the SCD... I think that covers most scenarios.

I wonder if that would be more of an issue with designs that act upon the trigger bar instead of the striker?

Elwin
02-17-2022, 04:03 PM
I wonder if that would be more of an issue with designs that act upon the trigger bar instead of the striker?

I would assume, though I don't know, that this was testing of the Glock SCD that acts upon the striker, and that when trigger bar is pushing back on striker which is pushing back on SCD, the first link in the chain to fail is the trigger bar.

If I'm totally wrong, someone let me know.

Hstanton1
02-17-2022, 04:46 PM
I would assume, though I don't know, that this was testing of the Glock SCD that acts upon the striker, and that when trigger bar is pushing back on striker which is pushing back on SCD, the first link in the chain to fail is the trigger bar.

I think you’re right, this issue probably did show up when testing the current design. I’m just wondering if it will present more problems in a SCD designed for something like the PDP or M&P, where a gadget that works on the striker is precluded since the guns in question use fully tensioned strikers. That means the next best option is a design that acts upon the trigger bar.

LittleLebowski
02-17-2022, 08:50 PM

What? I was a tester and I’ve never heard of that. Back this claim up with data.

TC215
02-17-2022, 09:01 PM
What? I was a tester and I’ve never heard of that. Back this claim up with data.

I’ve read that several times as well. Tom may have said it, but of course all of his posts are gone, I believe. This is the only post I could find referencing it:

I’m surprised you’ve been able to overcome an SCD. I’ve pressed pretty hard trying and always stopped because I was afraid I’d break something. I’ve never pushed things to the limit to see whether the SCD or the trigger would give first but I remember either Todd Green or Tom Jones stating that several of the initial testers attempted this and ended up bending their trigger bars from trigger finger force before they could overcome the SCD.

LittleLebowski
02-17-2022, 09:05 PM
I’ve read that several times as well. Tom may have said it, but of course all of his posts are gone, I believe. This is the only post I could find referencing it:

It is not true. I know for a fact. Would any other original tester that was under an NDA like to speak up? I can also quote Tom Jones from this evening: it is not true.

Shit, I still use my beta aluminum SCD from 2011 or 2012.

LittleLebowski
02-17-2022, 09:25 PM

Wrong.

Gents, the last few posts in this thread are exactly how false internet rumors get started. I can’t believe that folks are worrying about the trigger bar when freaking @SouthNarc said he could not break multiple SCDs in his ground fighting classes. Reread that last sentence and think upon it.

I want to know where this started.

GearFondler
02-17-2022, 09:30 PM
It is not true. I know for a fact. Would any other original tester that was under an NDA like to speak up? I can also quote Tom Jones from this evening: it is not true.

Shit, I still use my beta aluminum SCD from 2011 or 2012.I read it here on the forum in one of the previous SCD threads and I'm 99% sure it was Tom who stated it. It was in a thread I participated in where I included pics of my own minor test using a pencil to push on the trigger. I'm on my phone and at work right now so I don't have time to look for it this minute.
And I don't see why it would not be true... You put enough pressure on a system and something will break. It's very easy to see the trigger bar bending if the trigger is pulled hard enough while the SCD holds the striker firmly in place. It's certainly not a knock on the SCD but rather quite laudable.

LittleLebowski
02-17-2022, 09:32 PM
I read it here on the forum in one of the previous SCD threads and I'm 99% sure it was Tom who stated it. It was in a thread I participated in where I included pics of my own minor test using a pencil to push on the trigger. I'm on my phone and at work right now so I don't have time to look for it this minute.
And I don't see why it would not be true... You put enough pressure on a system and something will break. It's very easy to see the trigger bar bending if the trigger is pulled hard enough while the SCD holds the striker firmly in place. It's certainly not a knock on the SCD but rather quite laudable.

You are 100% wrong regarding Tom. I’m speaking with him now.

Feel free to disprove me with a screenshot showing a direct quote from Tom when you have time.

GearFondler
02-17-2022, 09:33 PM
Wrong.

Gents, the last few posts in this thread are exactly how false internet rumors get started. I can’t believe that folks are worrying about the trigger bar when freaking @SouthNarc said he could not break multiple SCDs in his ground fighting classes. Reread that last sentence and think upon it.

I want to know where this started.I am not at all worried about the trigger bar failing, or the SCD either... The amount of force required to create such a failure is far and away much greater than anything that would be achieved in a normal or even extraordinary situation. The point is that the SCD is more than capable of doing its job above and beyond what would be expected or required.

GearFondler
02-17-2022, 09:39 PM
You are 100% wrong regarding Tom. I’m speaking with him now.

Feel free to disprove me with a screenshot showing a direct quote from Tom when you have time.I'll check when I can but it sounds like I won't find it. Perhaps I read someone quoting Tom incorrectly but I 100% read it on here, be it right or wrong. I certainly don't intend to be spreading disinformation and I am ecstatic that the SCD is being produced again... I very much need one for my wife's G48.

TC215
02-17-2022, 09:56 PM
I read it here on the forum in one of the previous SCD threads and I'm 99% sure it was Tom who stated it. It was in a thread I participated in where I included pics of my own minor test using a pencil to push on the trigger. I'm on my phone and at work right now so I don't have time to look for it this minute.

Here’s the thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46933-And-Yet-Another-320-Lawsuit/page12

And here’s the response from TCinVA:

Alpha and beta testers found that they could put enough force on the trigger to bend trigger bars and break trigger shoes without the striker being released when thumb pressure was applied to the SCD prototypes.

LittleLebowski- To be clear, I’m not arguing with you— Tom is the definitive source. Just pointing out where the statement has been posted by people here over the years. I’ve actually repeated it to people at my agency when trying to get the SCD approved for duty weapons.

GearFondler
02-17-2022, 09:59 PM
Here’s the thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?46933-And-Yet-Another-320-Lawsuit/page12

And here’s the response from TCinVA:Thank you! I knew I wasn't going crazy. Or crazier, at any rate.

LittleLebowski
02-17-2022, 10:02 PM
Here’s the thread:

And here’s the response from TCinVA:

LittleLebowski- To be clear, I’m not arguing with you— Tom is the definitive source. Just pointing out where the statement has been posted by people here over the years. I’ve actually repeated it to people at my agency when trying to get the SCD approved for duty weapons.

Tom is definitively saying this didn’t happen as am I. I will let TCinVA speak for himself.

JCN
02-17-2022, 10:08 PM
Alpha and beta testers found that they could put enough force on the trigger to bend trigger bars and break trigger shoes without the striker being released when thumb pressure was applied to the SCD prototypes.

Tom is definitively saying this didn’t happen as am I. I will let TCinVA speak for himself.

I’m wondering if TCinVA was misremembering the Cominolli safety testing? I know they bent trigger bars when they were trying to overcome that system.

LittleLebowski
02-17-2022, 10:18 PM
I’m wondering if TCinVA was misremembering the Cominolli safety testing? I know they bent trigger bars when they were trying to overcome that system.

I don’t think so.

JCN
02-17-2022, 10:51 PM
I don’t think so.

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I remember reading about the SCD, MagnaTrigger and Cominolli safety all together in a Mas book and there was talk about what bent when trying to induce failure.

Just trying to help.

TCinVA
02-18-2022, 07:22 AM
@LittleLebowski (https://pistol-forum.com/member.php?u=6)- To be clear, I’m not arguing with you— Tom is the definitive source. Just pointing out where the statement has been posted by people here over the years. I’ve actually repeated it to people at my agency when trying to get the SCD approved for duty weapons.

I was an Alpha tester, as best I know.

I bent the trigger bar on my Gen3 G17 trying to make the striker cycle while I had the SCD duct-taped down while holding pressure from my other hand's thumb. In the context of that discussion, it was highlighting that if you are using the SCD right parts will break before the gun will fire. It's not a condition you can arrive at accidentally. The amount of force involved will tell you something is wrong.

This was by no means a normal set of circumstances or any sort of reasonable test. I went after it that hard because I was attempting to see if there were any conditions where the trigger's movement could complete while force was being applied to the SCD. The answer was no....and this was to counter the idea that one's trigger finger could generate enough force to overcome the pressure applied to the back of the slide. It's impossible. The trigger bar will bend first.

The gun could still function because the trigger bar only bent slightly. But it proved the point.

I don't know of anyone else who did that other than me. I discussed doing it with Todd (who had bent a trigger bar in his backup P30, IIRC, proving the same point) but I never discussed it with Tom.

This was not a common thing. It was not a "If you install an SCD, you'll bend your trigger bar" situation.

It was someone asked to test the product doing incredibly stupid shit nobody would ever actually do to prove a point.

Breaking things is one of my talents.

HeavyDuty
02-18-2022, 08:26 AM
^^^

That’s how I’ve always interpreted the trigger bar comments - a serious SCD upside, not at all a downside.

BehindBlueI's
02-18-2022, 09:41 AM
^^^

That’s how I’ve always interpreted the trigger bar comments - a serious SCD upside, not at all a downside.

Same. "It's strong enough other shit breaks before this breaks" combined with "you have to really really try to break something" was exactly how I read it.

In anything mechanical, *something* is the 'fuse'.

UNM1136
02-18-2022, 10:17 AM

I can't get the strikers to fall on any of my Glocks wearing them with even moderate pressure on them.

As far as your second point, it is all about how you train.

I had a rather unorthodox method of holstering when I carried a 1911 that I detailed here before. It was called unnatural, and too complex a fine motor movement, but I would put my thumb on the face of the hammer. It took a lot of practice to place it there and not pull on the hammer. It also pulled the meat of my hand away from the grip safety. I run 1911s "off sights/safety on". I trained to do it under stress because I have taken more than a few felons into custody and have had to speed holster to go hands on. So now I would have to forget to safe, leave my finger on the trigger, leave the grip safety depressed and have my thumb slip for my Series 70 (no FPS) type gun to make an unintentional noise at an in opportune time. I did it with two different duty holsters, and a Comp-Tac kydex IWB holster and a leather SME AIWB.

Belt and suspenders...

I recall seeing my first SCD at AFHF and TLG mentioned cutting all the barrel locks off of his jackets' waists because they always seemed to find their way into the holster, and potentially the trigger guard. I started carring a gun professionally in 1992, and for the first two years I carried .38 revolvers. I cut my teeth thumbing the hammer. When I went to a Glock, I thumbed the back of the slide out of habit, because I didn't see how it hurt having a motion that worked on both guns. I also had crappy holsters back then, and keeping the slide in battery was good. I went to DA/SA Sigs after that and thumbing the hammer told me whether my gun was decocked. When I started we shot DA and stayed SA until it was time to holster. Eventually I worked toward "off sights/decock". So the thumb told me if I forgot to decock, and then it held the hammer in the event someting in the holstering stroke moved the trigger.

When TLG explained the little flap on the back of his Glock I knew I needed several. It was the missing link. I have actually given away to friends more than I have now.

Inadvertant trigger movement is what it remedies. In MY experience, with MY guns, so far in 30 years, the inadvertant movement in a handgun has never been caused by a finger. Every one assumes the SCD is to mitigate poor trigger finger discipline. I don't particularly see it that way. Although I guess across lifetimes and populations trigger fingers are by far the most common cause of inadvertant trigger movement. It certainly did when I had my ND with a shotgun 20 or so years ago.

pat

ubervic
02-18-2022, 04:29 PM
Goodness gracious. Look what already showed up in today's mail.

blues
02-18-2022, 04:36 PM
Looks like he may have employed Tom Jones to get those packages out to the post office. It's like deja vu all over again.

Coyotesfan97
02-18-2022, 05:10 PM
Looks like he may have employed Tom Jones to get those packages out to the post office. It's like deja vu all over again.

I think there was a time or two I ordered from TAU and got the shipping notification in an hour or two.

blues
02-18-2022, 05:17 PM
I think there was a time or two I ordered from TAU and got the shipping notification in an hour or two.

That's longer than most. ;)

UNM1136
02-18-2022, 10:00 PM
^^^^^^

I live in town, and have had dinner with the man a few times. Still had to have mine shipped....Dick...😜

pat

Shoresy
02-19-2022, 07:05 AM

That was every order I placed. You might even say it’s not unusual…

Leroy Suggs
02-19-2022, 10:43 AM
Ordered Wednesday. Out for delivery this am.
Slimline G43.

LOKNLOD
02-19-2022, 10:48 AM
Once again LTT knows how to manage a release...

"Here's a new product we sell"
*has inventory to ship out*
*actually ships it out quickly*

Duckysattva
02-20-2022, 09:11 AM
For those of you who received your LTT SCD, did you receive an order shipped notification or just the order confirmation email?

I got an order for two in, seemingly just before they went out of stock. Just wondering now if I’m looking for a shipment notification or if they’ll just show up in the mail. Jazzed either way that the gadget is back!

FreedomFries
02-20-2022, 11:32 AM
For those of you who received your LTT SCD, did you receive an order shipped notification or just the order confirmation

I got an email that said my order status got updated to shipped. Then it arrived yesterday.

JAH 3rd
02-20-2022, 12:31 PM
My email came with tracking number. Ships from AZ. Has delivery date too.

ubervic
02-20-2022, 01:48 PM
I got an email that said my order status got updated to shipped.

Same here.

ASH556
02-20-2022, 08:27 PM
My order confirmed on the 15th, shipment notification on the 16th, arrived on the 18th.

HeavyDuty
02-22-2022, 06:28 AM
Glad to see the LTT SCD was featured in today’s Tactical Wire, but inaccurately - only listing compatibility for slimline and Gen5 Glocks. It it’s still good publicity.

JAH 3rd
02-22-2022, 10:54 AM
All listed SCD items out of stock on LTT. PF come through again!!

RJ
03-10-2022, 02:04 PM
Late to party. Put an order in today for a Gen 5 SCD for my G19 MOS.

Savage Hands
03-10-2022, 04:26 PM
Finally have one for my 19.5 MOS :cool:

vcdgrips
03-10-2022, 04:33 PM
Presume that fit and function is as good or better than the Tau versions?

MandoWookie
03-10-2022, 06:25 PM
Any idea on when Gen 1-4 compatible options will be back in stock?
Not even showing a listing on the LTT site now.

Hot Sauce
03-10-2022, 07:15 PM

I thought I read somewhere that Gen 5 SCDs are backwards compatible with Gen 1-4 guns but can't confirm.

TheNewbie
03-10-2022, 07:21 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Gen 5 SCDs are backwards compatible with Gen 1-4 guns but can't confirm.

I *think* a Gen 5 can be modified to take a Gen 1-4 SCD but not the other way around.

CHNEAL
03-11-2022, 03:49 PM

I have a Gen 4 SCD that I am guessing I put 200-300 rounds on before I transitioned to Gen 5 guns. Its just laying in my parts bin, its yours If you want it. Just Pm me a good address and Ill drop it in the mail.

RJ
03-17-2022, 03:50 PM
Mine arrived today.

Four days from Gilbert AZ to me in Sarasota, not bad.

Install on my G19 Gen 5 MOS was straightforward. Just pull striker back with a Glock tool, slide old backplate out, put SCD in, and ensure it clicks in place.

It has been quite a while since I last played with a Tau SCD, but the LTT part seems very...I don't know, substantial? Like maybe it's slightly more dense? It may just be (and probably is) my perception. But it feels nicely made, and the plate moves smoothly with no lost motion. The LTT engraved logo on the swinging plate is a nice touch. Operation is as per normal, just thumb backplate on holstering. Any pressure at all on the trigger and you feel it immediately.

When I bought my 2017 Gen 5 Glock 19, I waited to carry it Appendix until I was able to buy a Tau SCD. I am very glad that Mr. Langdon made the decision to make SCDs, and am very happy to have one on my current Glock.

newyork
03-17-2022, 04:32 PM
Put one in my cart with a speed feed. Go to check out. Scd is out of stock. Womp womp.

Edit:
Just looked back and I never followed through with the speed feed. I see Scd are in stock. Bought !

TheNewbie
03-17-2022, 06:17 PM
Hopefully they get the back in stock soon.

LTT just needs to do a DAO like trigger for Glock now and/or a quality thumb safety. :D

newyork
03-17-2022, 06:24 PM
Hopefully they get the back in stock soon.

LTT just needs to do a DAO like trigger for Glock now and/or a quality thumb safety. :D

I just bought one. Showed back in stock.

Joe in PNG
03-17-2022, 06:55 PM
I just bought one. Showed back in stock.

Thanks for the heads up- just ordered mine.

Dave303
03-18-2022, 04:53 PM
Just got mine today for my G22 Gen5, it looks and feels the same as the Tau Dev one on my Gen4 G26 (aside from the Langdon logo). If anything it’s slightly better finished but that could just be wear on the old one.

GearFondler
03-18-2022, 05:51 PM
Anyone figured out for sure what the answer is for Gen 1-4?

CleverNickname
03-18-2022, 06:06 PM
What exactly is the difference between Gen 1-4 and Gen 5 SCDs? I've tried putting a Gen 3 SCD in a Gen 5 Glock, and it seemed to fit and function just fine. I bought a couple LTT Gen 5 SCDs and they don't appear to be any different dimensionally from my Tau Dev Gen 1-4 SCDs. But the fact that are two different models for the different generations makes me assume that I'm missing something and there really is a difference between Gen 1-4 and Gen 5 SCDs.

I'm transitioning from Gen 3 Glocks to Gen 5, so if I don't need to sell my Gen 1-4 SCDs and buy new Gen 5's that'd be great.

WobblyPossum
03-18-2022, 06:11 PM
My understanding is the only difference between the Gen 1-4 SCD and the Gen 5 SCD is the profile of the notch on the right. I’m referring to the two notches at the bottom. The one on the left is rectangular. On the Gen 5, the one on the right is also to pass over the little rectangle of plastic that sticks out from the back of the frame. The right notch on the Gen 1-4 SCD is a different shape. A Gen 5 SCD should be able to work on a Gen 1-4 gun but not the other way around unless you cut the plastic tab off the Gen 5.

TheNewbie
03-18-2022, 06:26 PM
Does cutting the tab off the Gen 5 cause any issues?

SAWBONES
03-18-2022, 07:18 PM
My CCW Gen 5 G26 and several other Gen 3/4 Glocks have TDG SCDs, but I have two Gen 3 guns that still need SCDs.

While they're "range guns" at present, they could of course become CCW guns if the regular CCW guns were lost or confiscated.

If it were confirmed that the LTT Gen 5 SCDs fit and functioned reliably with Gen 3 guns, I'd gladly use them.

WobblyPossum
03-18-2022, 08:25 PM
Does cutting the tab off the Gen 5 cause any issues?

I can’t imagine it would. The Gen 1-4 guns didn’t have a tab there, just an empty space.

Duckysattva
03-18-2022, 10:17 PM
I took some measurements of a stock Gen 4 and Gen 5 backplate along with those of a Gen 1-4 SCD (Tau manufacture) and Gen 5 SCD (LTT manufacture) with a digital caliper. Hoping this will help some who are wondering if they can use a Gen 5 SCD on a Gen 1-4 Glock. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics and if my handwriting isn't legible. Let me know if needed and I can type out the measurements or try to get some better pictures.

Outside of the obvious difference in the shape of the right side notch, what I'm seeing is that the notch on the left side of both the OEM Gen 4 backplate and on the Tau Dev Gen 1-4 SCD is slightly larger than their Gen 5 counterparts (.01" larger comparing the OEM backplates and .0135" larger comparing the SCDs). Right side notch on the Gen 5 SCD provides plenty of clearance for Gen 1-4 Glock frames.

I installed the Gen 5 SCD on a Gen 4 G19 to test fit and function/compatibility and it does work but is a little tight due to the narrower left side notch on the Gen 5 SCD. It runs into a slight clearance issue on the inside edge of the Gen 4 ejector housing and what appears as a bit of a flange on the rail (this same flange is not present on a Gen 5 ejector housing). A slight push on the gadget will push it past the flange but it will not swing back to the fully closed position freely.

Outside of the stickiness when pushing the SCD forward, function is unaffected in the sample of one that I've tried it on. Speaking only for me, if I had a Gen 1-4 gun and the lack of an SCD was preventing me from carrying it then I'd grab the LTT gadget and slightly file/sand enough material off of the ejector housing flange to make it flush with the remainder of the rail and use the gadget without concern.

One final thing that I've noticed on both of the LTT SCDs that I picked up, the flange that fits into the slot in the backplate is around .005" thicker and the hinged plate is around .003" wider. It isn't much but I've been able to tell that they're a more snug fit than my Gen 1-4 Tau Dev SCDs and exhibit less play during install/removal. Overall awesome products and I'm ecstatic that they're back on the market as I was in the boat of not switching to carrying my Gen 5 until I got a gadget back on it.

Flange on the Gen 4 ejector housing rail that causes slight interference with the Gen 5 SCD

Gen 5 SCD on Gen 4 19

WobblyPossum
03-18-2022, 10:26 PM
Thanks Duckysattva! Those measurements should be helpful to everyone.

echo5charlie
03-19-2022, 09:44 AM
I can’t imagine it would. The Gen 1-4 guns didn’t have a tab there, just an empty space.

The tab in question interfaces with the FPS during the cycle of operation so that the FPS and firing pin aren't battering each other. The tab allows the FP to remain in a free-floating state during halfway point of the cycle, in the previous Gens this would allow the FP to ping-pong off the FPS thereby battering both. What would happen on high round count Glocks (Gen 1-4) is that this battering *could* allow the FPS to fail if these parts were not replaced when enough wear was present.

If you have a Gen5 simply lock the slide to the rear and you will see that you can freely move the FP, Gen 1-4 you cannot.

WobblyPossum
03-19-2022, 10:20 AM
The tab in question interfaces with the FPS during the cycle of operation so that the FPS and firing pin aren't battering each other. The tab allows the FP to remain in a free-floating state during halfway point of the cycle, in the previous Gens this would allow the FP to ping-pong off the FPS thereby battering both. What would happen on high round count Glocks (Gen 1-4) is that this battering *could* allow the FPS to fail if these parts were not replaced when enough wear was present.

If you have a Gen5 simply lock the slide to the rear and you will see that you can freely move the FP, Gen 1-4 you cannot.

Learning has occurred.

Jim Watson
03-19-2022, 11:08 AM
Be advised that there is a literal Chinese Copy on the market. A deal too good to be true, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174931358938?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item28bab8b4da:g:0~QAAOSwxRNhOh8l&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%252B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkP rKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSDAeS9EQtjPGVfKXTxF0%252BjgY8IQk rBaH69CMW3bRPtX8lL8rY9yRHZcRCSNtuO3uuzQKSxtCuFgEO6 QjFWXtdCklSFQthNMhp8p9MMiMJJPZ1CHUF0f5h3y6HP34P1kc T7UcDGXssEN8pd3cgIbI8X%252FcgfXzbVokzVFbeUwOh2miGk HQAsjKPbHF2%252FZrmcj%252BtPXTFbVR79ZCx40Jh6ctIRFp Co2fgydCvcwIWC%252BjALM%252F8oz4s0Yjes%252F796t248 %252FnBURmgAK%252FIOpdC1D6Zgey62DIGkeeZiZW72Ow824% 252BPnpx09Xati9FWUTEU%252F0tYtL%252FE0uogD1KXWPe1x 0tnhHl7JkWDazUTzlyvy3hREqncp8W9YYFVICzTD%252F%252B WAGzOQcPfUbKuGrNUuhXHY4pxGXWvr6%252BQE4SHFWlcVdG01 fYfZhcFxOTq%252FAkWcLtVhXsMzuBzMlh7yFj%252B8r3rhc% 252BRdWvMuuaCWjYv5cVZtnGkY2%252FYI0Ivdl2G1E76ihMru kQgN2Y2Ehb8X%252BvBsUWu%252BOK1FZPpAYlOrAiQCA2oqqX js9ULtxUVvlAb9o2HMeYyYobLfEZ2WyJ%252Beb1a1Vz3YmJZa yNpBPs%252Bpuqil1UxtWfKTKZFFQZ2geHVVSx8%252BUltekk LYPkhE5b62TL9ix3bs%252Fil5NM7CZ%252Ftk4NNpi3sr70Ol eHsfpcFpRU%252BtfIvpxH3bzOUPnLOtans%252Fc4hXm8MGlZ DgH%252BetKZ%252BqPAjOWEJrZXjp0xy8nitnqhRjmltrHPlg U%252Fb4kTKylVM0H6KTDhC%252B4Co2uv6%252BvGUIRKlyzk whDUlOvJLoSkFDlWi2%252FEcp48y6SWjNo2gCOMUmP2rmedG7 YiDXtV%252FWw%253D%253D%7Cclp%3A2334524%7Ctkp%3ABF BM9re0rvRf

Clusterfrack
03-19-2022, 11:27 AM
I took some measurements of a stock Gen 4 and Gen 5 backplate along with those of a Gen 1-4 SCD (Tau manufacture) and Gen 5 SCD (LTT manufacture) with a digital caliper. Hoping this will help some who are wondering if they can use a Gen 5 SCD on a Gen 1-4 Glock. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics and if my handwriting isn't legible. Let me know if needed and I can type out the measurements or try to get some better pictures.

Outside of the obvious difference in the shape of the right side notch, what I'm seeing is that the notch on the left side of both the OEM Gen 4 backplate and on the Tau Dev Gen 1-4 SCD is slightly larger than their Gen 5 counterparts (.01" larger comparing the OEM backplates and .0135" larger comparing the SCDs). Right side notch on the Gen 5 SCD provides plenty of clearance for Gen 1-4 Glock frames.

I installed the Gen 5 SCD on a Gen 4 G19 to test fit and function/compatibility and it does work but is a little tight due to the narrower left side notch on the Gen 5 SCD. It runs into a slight clearance issue on the inside edge of the Gen 4 ejector housing and what appears as a bit of a flange on the rail (this same flange is not present on a Gen 5 ejector housing). A slight push on the gadget will push it past the flange but it will not swing back to the fully closed position freely.

Outside of the stickiness when pushing the SCD forward, function is unaffected in the sample of one that I've tried it on. Speaking only for me, if I had a Gen 1-4 gun and the lack of an SCD was preventing me from carrying it then I'd grab the LTT gadget and slightly file/sand enough material off of the ejector housing flange to make it flush with the remainder of the rail and use the gadget without concern.

One final thing that I've noticed on both of the LTT SCDs that I picked up, the flange that fits into the slot in the backplate is around .005" thicker and the hinged plate is around .003" wider. It isn't much but I've been able to tell that they're a more snug fit than my Gen 1-4 Tau Dev SCDs and exhibit less play during install/removal. Overall awesome products and I'm ecstatic that they're back on the market as I was in the boat of not switching to carrying my Gen 5 until I got a gadget back on it.

Flange on the Gen 4 ejector housing rail that causes slight interference with the Gen 5 SCD

Gen 5 SCD on Gen 4 19

Did you compare the depth of the circular recess for the firing pin spacer? This is important for retention of the SCD.

Duckysattva
03-19-2022, 02:11 PM
Did you compare the depth of the circular recess for the firing pin spacer? This is important for retention of the SCD.

Good question and why I freakin’ love this place.

I don’t have a depth micrometer (and now won’t be able to sleep until I get one and can definitively answer this question with real numbers) but my eye tells me that the Gen 5 SCD recess is ever so slightly deeper than on the Gen 1-4 SCD.

Not sure of the best way to bubba the measurements in the absence of a depth or maybe some small feeler gauges. For now, I took a mechanical pencil and released the tension and pushed the lead back with the gadget to the point that the shelf on the edge of the pencil’s guide and the upper edge of the recess on the SCD met. Repeated the same method a few times on each Gen SCD and it appears to me to confirm that the Gen 5 recess is very slightly deeper, I’m betting on the order of a couple thousandths at most.

Anyone have a version of each SCD and a depth micrometer that check this?

What are the odds that one of the few folks who got the CAD drawings for the Gadget from Tau could provide dimensions of all these key points (notch widths, firing pin sleeve recess depth, flange thickness, etc.)? That would be very interesting to be able to compare the multiple generations.

WobblyPossum
03-19-2022, 02:34 PM
This is all correct -- as long as you replace "the tab" with "the vertical extension added to the starboard side of the trigger mechanism housing". The tab on the frame only serves to help fill the much larger gap in the slide cover plate necessary for it to clear the new vertical extension on the trigger mechanism housing when removing the slide from the frame.

I was referring to the tab added to the frame in the Gen5 guns.

echo5charlie
03-19-2022, 02:42 PM
This is all correct -- as long as you replace "the tab" with "the vertical extension added to the starboard side of the trigger mechanism housing". The tab on the frame only serves to help fill the much larger gap in the slide cover plate necessary for it to clear the new vertical extension on the trigger mechanism housing when removing the slide from the frame.

You are correct, however I misread this "...the one on the right is also to pass over the little rectangle of plastic that sticks out from the back of the frame." and presumed the question was about the "tab" I erroneously referenced.

Removing the 'frame dust tab' would accomplish nothing in this case as the slide cover plate still has to pass the vertical FPS tab I reference during the installation of the slide to frame.

echo5charlie
03-19-2022, 02:44 PM
I was referring to the tab added to the frame in the Gen5 guns.

The frame tab is only to reduce the amount of 'hole' required by the Gen5 slide cover plate. Removing it would still not allow a Gen4 plate to work.

WobblyPossum
03-19-2022, 02:53 PM
The frame tab is only to reduce the amount of 'hole' required by the Gen5 slide cover plate. Removing it would still not allow a Gen4 plate to work.

So my initial understanding that a Gen5 SCD will work with a Gen 1-4 gun but a Gen 1-4 SCD won’t work with a Gen5 gun is correct?

Clusterfrack
03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Good question and why I freakin’ love this place.

I don’t have a depth micrometer (and now won’t be able to sleep until I get one and can definitively answer this question with real numbers) but my eye tells me that the Gen 5 SCD recess is ever so slightly deeper than on the Gen 1-4 SCD.

Not sure of the best way to bubba the measurements in the absence of a depth or maybe some small feeler gauges. For now, I took a mechanical pencil and released the tension and pushed the lead back with the gadget to the point that the shelf on the edge of the pencil’s guide and the upper edge of the recess on the SCD met. Repeated the same method a few times on each Gen SCD and it appears to me to confirm that the Gen 5 recess is very slightly deeper, I’m betting on the order of a couple thousandths at most.

Anyone have a version of each SCD and a depth micrometer that check this?

What are the odds that one of the few folks who got the CAD drawings for the Gadget from Tau could provide dimensions of all these key points (notch widths, firing pin sleeve recess depth, flange thickness, etc.)? That would be very interesting to be able to compare the multiple generations.

I did some testing for Tom several years ago, and have some notes. Unfortunately I’m on the road for the next week.

echo5charlie
03-19-2022, 03:01 PM
So my initial understanding that a Gen5 SCD will work with a Gen 1-4 gun but a Gen 1-4 SCD won’t work with a Gen5 gun is correct?

Yes and maybe no. I have installed a Gen5 Tau SCD on a Gen3 Glock in the past and the flapper would not come to proper rest. Applying a very small amount of pressure would seat it. I never did a live fire test.

That is the result of a study group of one.

echo5charlie
03-19-2022, 03:06 PM
Gen1-4 SCDs will work fine on Gen5 guns if you cut that tab off. Gen5 slides other than the 19 length ones will require you to remove the SCD prior to removing the slide from the frame. The new cuts to the starboard side of Gen5 slides to facilitate the ambi slide release allow you to remove/install 19-length slides while the Gen1-4 SCD is installed.

Your proposal is far from "will work fine".

Given that LTT is currently making Gen5 SCDs I have no idea why someone would cut a piece of the frame off, as insignificant as it may seem, to utilize a (currently) discontinued 3rd party product that was designed specifically for a different model. That's some straight up bubba level shit...

GearFondler
03-19-2022, 04:19 PM
All this "maybe/probably" talk only leaves me wondering why LTT isn't currently offering a Gen 1-4 option since that's a way larger slice of the pie than the Gen5.

Wonder9
03-20-2022, 12:10 AM
All this "maybe/probably" talk only leaves me wondering why LTT isn't currently offering a Gen 1-4 option since that's a way larger slice of the pie than the Gen5.

Nobody is buying a Gen3/Gen4 over a Gen5 for serious bidness. The former is filled with clones, contracts, and Californians. The latter is filled with world militaries, law enforcement, and free America.

Bucky
03-20-2022, 05:59 AM
Nobody is buying a Gen3/Gen4 over a Gen5 for serious bidness. The former is filled with clones, contracts, and Californians. The latter is filled with world militaries, law enforcement, and free America.

Really? I know plenty that prefer a Gen 4 over a 5. I know a fed who carries his personal Gen 4 over his M as he hates the ambi slide stop… and he’s a Southpaw.

LittleLebowski
03-20-2022, 02:43 PM
Your proposal is far from "will work fine".

Given that LTT is currently making Gen5 SCDs I have no idea why someone would cut a piece of the frame off, as insignificant as it may seem, to utilize a (currently) discontinued 3rd party product that was designed specifically for a different model. That's some straight up bubba level shit...

Because it works fine and isn’t important to the gun at all.

echo5charlie
03-20-2022, 02:54 PM
Because it works fine and isn’t important to the gun at all.

Wrong and wrong.

LittleLebowski
03-20-2022, 03:21 PM
Wrong and wrong.

Kay.

Wonder9
03-21-2022, 04:03 AM
Really? I know plenty that prefer a Gen 4 over a 5. I know a fed who carries his personal Gen 4 over his M as he hates the ambi slide stop… and he’s a Southpaw.

I mean, the Gen5 is what is going to be picked in the vast majority of situations from Joe Sixpack to Podunk PD to standing militaries. That is why it's more prudent for LTT to support the current production Glock first and foremost.

Sig_Fiend
03-21-2022, 08:48 AM

Blanket statements like that are a waste of everyone's time and based on nothing except conjecture. Can you quantifiably say how many agencies and militaries around the world have "ditched" gen3-4? In 5 years of production, two of which during a pandemic, I don't think it's quite as much as you think.

It makes sense that LTT would focus on Gen5's considering they're the newest generation. They're also objectively better guns than the previous generations.

That said, keep in mind gen3 and gen4 guns are still in production. Gen3 since 1998. Gen4 since 2010. Technically-speaking, that means 40 years of production (1982) for Gen1-4. 24yrs of gen3 production, and 12yrs for gen4. According to this year's Glock Annual (https://cloud.3dissue.net/35876/35841/36186/66803/index.html) (page 7), over 20M Glocks have been sold worldwide since 1982. The 2014 Glock Annual (couldn't find a link) had 10M sold by 2013. By some accounts, their production has been as high as 1M per year. So by the time of the gen5 (2017), gen1-4 might have been around ~13-14M, or roughly 65-70% of all Glocks produced to date.

The point being, gen3-4 are still viable. Gen1-4 parts compatibility alone is still a viable consideration, especially if maintaining multiple guns. Making such absolutist statements helps no one.

BWT
03-21-2022, 09:13 AM
I think one thing that will keep Glock Gen 3’s and Gen 4’s alive is their ability to be acquired in CA via their registry with 40 million Americans currently residing there.

L-2
03-21-2022, 10:07 AM
Just for clarification, Glock Gen4's are not on California's approved-handgun-roster for FFL sales; Gen3 guns generally are on that roster, but not USA-made frames, only Austrian-marked. It's ok for a private party (via an FFL) to sell an off-roster handgun via "private party transfer" however, even though it still must go through an FFL (the FFL is acting like a "Department of Motor Vehicles" at that point to help get that firearm registered into the state's computer system under the latest owner along with holding it for the 10-day waiting period).

Clusterfrack
03-21-2022, 10:19 AM
All but one of my Glocks are Gen4. I have a massive spare parts kit and SCDs. I have low interest in Gen5 because of parts incompatibility.

WobblyPossum
03-21-2022, 10:19 AM
I think one thing that will keep Glock Gen 3’s and Gen 4’s alive is their ability to be acquired in CA via their registry with 40 million Americans currently residing there.

I’m not a Californian so I could be incorrect but I don’t believe the Gen 4 guns are on the approved roster, only the Gen 3. At this point Glock is producing Gen 3 guns primarily for the CA market and some foreign military contracts. For Gen 4 guns for which a Gen 5 variant is available (9mm and .40 S&W), the Gen 4 variants are available for LE/Mil purchase whether that is individual officer or agency contract. If you go on Glock’s website, the Gen 4 9mm and .40 S&W guns are listed as Law Enforcement Only.

I can’t give a general view of what guns state and local agencies are buying since there are 17,000-something different LE agencies nationwide. On the federal side, the large agencies with contracts for Glock handguns are buying Gen 5 guns except for the agencies who are still running .40 S&W. Of the .40 S&W agencies I know of, some are in the process of transitioning to Gen 5 9mm guns. Just off the top of my head: CBP (that’s close to 40k armed officers combining OFO, BP, and AMO), FBI, DEA, ATF, USSS, FAMS, and DSS (ETA: forgot BIA who recently switched to Gen 5 9mms). I’m not 100% sure about USMS and USPIS but believe they’re running Gen 5 9mms. There are so many smaller OIGs I couldn’t even name them all. Then there are the large foreign contracts like the French military and the large Brazilian LE agencies.

If Glock didn’t have CA and some older military contracts for Gen 3 guns they would have stopped production long ago like they did with the Gen 1 and 2 guns. Same for Gen 4 guns of the calibers for which Gen 5 guns are available. If it weren’t for contracts, Glock would have dumped those too.

TC215
03-21-2022, 12:01 PM
I’m not 100% sure about USMS and USPIS but believe they’re running Gen 5 9mms.

I believe Marshals are going to 17M's and the Blue Coats are getting 19M's.

I know from the incident we discussed last week that USPIS has 19M's, not sure what else.

WobblyPossum
03-21-2022, 03:03 PM
I believe Marshals are going to 17M's and the Blue Coats are getting 19M's.

I know from the incident we discussed last week that USPIS has 19M's, not sure what else.

There are probably a few more as well. I’m betting a ton of the smaller agencies will purchase off of either the CBP or FBI contracts.

Wonder9
03-21-2022, 05:03 PM
Blanket statements like that are a waste of everyone's time and based on nothing except conjecture. Can you quantifiably say how many agencies and militaries around the world have "ditched" gen3-4? In 5 years of production, two of which during a pandemic, I don't think it's quite as much as you think.

It's conjecture that Glock only makes Gen3 for California, discontinued Gen4 commercial sales, and I need to quantify that LE agencies trade-in for the newest model Glock/M&P/Sig?

I never said that agencies are tossing all their old Glocks, but it's foolish to expect they won't go Gen5 when that happens. The Gen5 fixed the ejection issues that was a 10 year fiasco and the .40s are no longer shoe-horned 9mms. The are objectively better and Glock's sales models reflects that they want to sell Gen5s over older generations.

MandoWookie
03-21-2022, 05:05 PM
All but one of my Glocks are Gen4. I have a massive spare parts kit and SCDs. I have low interest in Gen5 because of parts incompatibility.

Same. The Gen5 may be better, but not better-er in the areas that matter to me enough to go through the trouble of replacing my known good Gen4s.

newyork
03-21-2022, 07:05 PM
https://i.imgur.com/SlnISpm.jpg

Sig_Fiend
03-22-2022, 07:15 AM
It's conjecture that Glock only makes Gen3 for California, discontinued Gen4 commercial sales, and I need to quantify that LE agencies trade-in for the newest model Glock/M&P/Sig?

I never said that agencies are tossing all their old Glocks, but it's foolish to expect they won't go Gen5 when that happens. The Gen5 fixed the ejection issues that was a 10 year fiasco and the .40s are no longer shoe-horned 9mms. The are objectively better and Glock's sales models reflects that they want to sell Gen5s over older generations.

Of course Glock wants to phase out gen3/4 sales and production and transition to 100% gen5. That just makes sense from a business standpoint. No argument there.

You made this hyperbolic statement:

Nobody is buying a Gen3/Gen4 over a Gen5 for serious bidness.

I'm saying that's an ignorant statement to just write off probably ~13-14M guns (worldwide) and roughly 65-70% of such a prominent manufacturer's lifetime production as "not used for serious bidness". That's the kind of statement we expect on other forums, not PF.

I'll preface this by saying I don't know Ernie or have any inside knowledge. This is just my take on what seems logical to me. LTT is focusing on the gen5's for this initial launch, and that makes total sense. I'm sure they'll get around to gen1-4 soon enough. Launching one entirely new SKU (or two, considering the slim line models) for such a critical component is a big deal. I'm sure they want to ensure the new product line is running smoothly before expanding it. We've waited, what, well over 1 year at this point since Tau production dropped off? What's another few months? (I'm just guessing)

TheNewbie
03-29-2022, 08:06 PM
How are those of you using the LTT SCD liking it at this point?

ubervic
03-30-2022, 09:41 AM
How are those of you using the LTT SCD liking it at this point?

I installed the LTT SCD on on my G17.3. I find that it looks and functions just like the Tau SCD that I had acquired years ago.

Clusterfrack
03-30-2022, 11:03 AM
My understanding is that there are two generations of TauDevGroup SCDs, differing in the thickness of the "flange" that fits into the slot and the depth of the recess for the striker spacer sleeve.

Original (pre 2019): 0.092" +/- 0.002"
Newer (2019+): 0.097" +/- 0.002" with a deeper circular recess

It is possible for the original generation of SCDs to slip down under recoil--especially with tolerance stacking due to a larger slide slot. If a Glock & SCD are used for life-safety purposes, I would measure the flange, and replace any thin SCDs with the LTT units.

Gen 5 SCD on Gen 4 19

EricM
03-30-2022, 12:16 PM
My understanding is that there are two generations of TauDevGroup SCDs, differing in the thickness of the "flange" that fits into the slot and the depth of the recess for the striker spacer sleeve.

That is very interesting, first I can recall hearing of it, thanks for mentioning it. I had an issue last year with the SCD slipping down on a Gen 5 Zev RMR slide (OEM internals). Could not be pushed down manually, but after a mag or so it would end up out of battery as the SCD slid down under recoil. That was my first experience with an aftermarket slide and will also be my last. I've been using SCD's since they were released and have never seen an issue with OEM slides and the SCD in many 10's of thousands of rounds, but that experience made me very aware of just how shallow that recess is, and caused me to wonder about how the mass of the SCD (vs. OEM slide cover plate), striker spring weight, deformation of the spacer sleeve due to wear, and other factors could potentially influence reliability. I'll definitely be measuring my SCDs...my earliest ones were sold with my Gen 4 guns, but some of my Gen 5's are probably pre-2019.

Larry Sellers
03-30-2022, 12:37 PM

Original (pre 2019): 0.092" +/- 0.002"
Newer (2019+): 0.097" +/- 0.002" with a deeper circular recess

It is possible for the original generation of SCDs to slip down under recoil--especially with tolerance stacking due to a larger slide slot. If a Glock & SCD are used for life-safety purposes, I would measure the flange, and replace any thin SCDs with the LTT units.

Yes, this occured with my sample of 43xs and 48s. I have a 48 with silver slide that the TAU scd worked and functioned fine in. I tossed the same SCD on my new 43x and 48 with black slides and they slide down during recoil.
I'll have to order the new LTT scd for the slimline pistols.

TheNewbie
04-21-2022, 01:13 AM
Don’t even have a Glock at this time, but I have two LTT SCDs on the way.

Sanch
04-21-2022, 01:36 AM
I had an old Tau Gen 5 SCD that I bought years ago and never used. And recently, I bought a new LTT Gen 5 SCD.

I finally got a pair of Gen 5 glocks. I installed the tau one into the first glock with no trouble. It just slide and snaps into place.

The new LTT refused to snap/lock into position.

I removed both SCDs and the LTT to compare. I decided to try swapping the guns I tried them in. And this time, both SCDs installed fine.

I’m a bit concerned the LTT SCD didn’t snap in properly in one of my glocks. But no big deal, it seems to work in the other one. If I were going to buy more LTT SCDs, I’d likely take the time to caliper the one I got, compare to Tau and email LTT. But I don’t want to spend an hour on it. If I’m the only person to have such a problem then it’s possible my SCD is a little out of spec and it’s within acceptable failure tolerances of a large batch of them. Or something is off with the glock a slight amount.

Definitely possible it’s user error on my part. Likely most probable. I don’t know. I thought these just slid in and clicked in place? I’ve installed far more of these than I care to admit on the Internet in gen 3 guns, and the tau Gen 5 gave me the same immediate click on insertion. The LTT gave me ten minutes of grief until I tried swapping guns and had it work the first time in the second gun.

GlockenSpiel
04-21-2022, 10:55 AM
If it fits on one gun but not the other that seems to prove there was variation in the guns. I don't imagine Glock places a high priority on backplate fit tolerances.

TheNewbie
04-21-2022, 11:00 AM
If it fits on one gun but not the other that seems to prove there was variation in the guns. I don't imagine Glock places a high priority on backplate fit tolerances.

Maybe LangdonTactical can give us some insight .

If there is an issue with the SCD no doubt they’ll make it right, but my thought also is that it might be the gun and not the SCD.

LangdonTactical
04-21-2022, 12:20 PM
I had an old Tau Gen 5 SCD that I bought years ago and never used. And recently, I bought a new LTT Gen 5 SCD.

I finally got a pair of Gen 5 glocks. I installed the tau one into the first glock with no trouble. It just slide and snaps into place.

The new LTT refused to snap/lock into position.

I removed both SCDs and the LTT to compare. I decided to try swapping the guns I tried them in. And this time, both SCDs installed fine.

I’m a bit concerned the LTT SCD didn’t snap in properly in one of my glocks. But no big deal, it seems to work in the other one. If I were going to buy more LTT SCDs, I’d likely take the time to caliper the one I got, compare to Tau and email LTT. But I don’t want to spend an hour on it. If I’m the only person to have such a problem then it’s possible my SCD is a little out of spec and it’s within acceptable failure tolerances of a large batch of them. Or something is off with the glock a slight amount.

Definitely possible it’s user error on my part. Likely most probable. I don’t know. I thought these just slid in and clicked in place? I’ve installed far more of these than I care to admit on the Internet in gen 3 guns, and the tau Gen 5 gave me the same immediate click on insertion. The LTT gave me ten minutes of grief until I tried swapping guns and had it work the first time in the second gun.

Tom Jones (Tau Development Group) inspected our SCD and said they were perfect. The "snap in" part is really the way the striker spacer sleeve pops into the SCD, likely nothing to do with the slide and if you swapped them again they would likely fit fine as well.

Mirolynmonbro
04-25-2022, 07:09 AM
Still waiting for more SCDs to get back in stock 😪.

Does anyone know if the SCD works with the Timney trigger?

backtrail540
04-25-2022, 07:26 AM

Does anyone know if the SCD works with the Timney trigger?

The alpha eliminates all pre travel and this the scd is fully extended with the trigger at rest. I don't see that it would have any benefit.

Here is an scd on an alpha equipped glock for illustration purposes.

revchuck38
04-25-2022, 08:23 AM

You need to check on a daily basis. They came back in stock last week, mine arrives today. LTT's email notification system doesn't work.

beenalongtime
04-25-2022, 09:26 AM
You need to check on a daily basis. They came back in stock last week, mine arrives today. LTT's email notification system doesn't work.

Correct.

(can you guess that a non working one, that is not shut off, is a bug up my ...)

TheNewbie
04-25-2022, 09:32 AM
I order from the ones that were in stock last week. It would be interesting to know how many they are selling. For LTTs sake I hope they are selling a lot and doing well, and it is encouraging that so many Glock users see the usefulness of this item.

Now I just need a Glock with which to use the SCD.

HeavyDuty
04-25-2022, 09:56 AM
I don’t think that the in-stock notification system isn’t working, it just doesn’t respond instantly. Probably an overnight batch process, bu which time the stock is gone again.

revchuck38
04-25-2022, 10:12 AM
I don’t think that the in-stock notification system isn’t working, it just doesn’t respond instantly. Probably an overnight batch process, bu which time the stock is gone again.

When I checked last Monday they were in stock and I ordered one. I entered my email over a week prior. I have yet to receive a notification.

Clusterfrack
04-25-2022, 12:47 PM
I moved the discussion of what size Glock to buy to a new thread (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?52516-Glock-size-Gadgets-etc).

Mirolynmonbro
04-25-2022, 03:30 PM
The alpha eliminates all pre travel and this the scd is fully extended with the trigger at rest. I don't see that it would have any benefit.

Here is an scd on an alpha equipped glock for illustration purposes.

Thanks for the pic. I have timneys on a few of my competition Glocks but not my carry.

Well dang .. I've waiting for a few weeks now 😑

1More
04-26-2022, 09:57 AM
Boresight Solutions has FS Gen 5 SCDs in stock. Price is reasonable.

https://www.boresightsolutions.com/product/ltt-striker-control-device-scd-gen-5-glock-full-size/

dontshakepandas
04-26-2022, 10:23 AM
I'm really glad these are being made again. The ones I ordered last week are waiting in my mailbox right now.

I do wish they didn't have the LTT logo on them though. I'm just not a fan of having billboards (even small ones) all over my gun.

Joe in PNG
04-26-2022, 02:55 PM
Just put mine into my new G19 MOS.
Now I just need that new Holosun to come into stock.

revchuck38
04-26-2022, 04:42 PM
I just installed mine in my G45. It blocks the striker as advertised, but once the striker goes forward, the SCD remains to the rear. It appears that the tab that sits in the striker channel is bearing lightly on one side of the channel. It pushes easily to the forward position. Is this something that sorts itself out while firing? Is it installed incorrectly? Am I holding my mouth wrong? Suggestions?

TheNewbie
04-26-2022, 05:31 PM
I just installed mine in my G45. It blocks the striker as advertised, but once the striker goes forward, the SCD remains to the rear. It appears that the tab that sits in the striker channel is bearing lightly on one side of the channel. It pushes easily to the forward position. Is this something that sorts itself out while firing? Is it installed incorrectly? Am I holding my mouth wrong? Suggestions?

Can you press it back in?

revchuck38
04-26-2022, 05:38 PM
Can you press it back in?

Yup, it moves easily, just not by itself.

blues
04-26-2022, 05:41 PM
Yup, it moves easily, just not by itself.

One of my original gadgets did that for a while and then settled in. (I lubed it very lightly...but I think it did the work itself.)

MandoWookie
04-26-2022, 06:51 PM
Any update on either likelyhood of a more Gen4 SCDs, or barring that whether Gen5 is backwards compatible with Gen4?

Someone made a generous offer to send me their old Gen4 SCDs, but I would rather buy new for 2 reasons:

1, if I am going to use it on a defensive firearm, I want it to be a part that has current production and support in case of issues.

2, to support the production of this product so it continues to have support and development, and doesn't disappear again.

HammerStriker
05-04-2022, 12:42 AM
These look pretty neat and I get the concept, but in practice has anyone actually prevented a ND because of one of these things?

newyork
05-04-2022, 05:12 AM
Deleted

blues
05-04-2022, 08:12 AM
These look pretty neat and I get the concept, but in practice has anyone actually prevented a ND because of one of these things?

You won't know until you blow your pecker off.

(Me? I'll continue to use my original versions until or unless I need to replace them with the LTTs. YMMV.)

Biggy
05-04-2022, 08:19 AM

I don't know, but just like keeping your finger out of the trigger guard or flicking a thumb safety on or off, you still have to remember to use it every time.

TheNewbie
05-04-2022, 08:20 AM

(Me? I'll continue to use my original versions until or unless I need to replace them with the LTTs. YMMV.)

If the above happens to someone, please let everyone know so learning can occur and product improvements can be made.

When I get back from Mexico my LTT SCDs should be waiting for me. Maybe I can put them on a 10/22 because I don’t have any Glocks.

BWT
05-04-2022, 08:25 AM

Right? Who here posts about something prevented and everyone cites it?

I listened to a Pat Macnamara video on range safety (his YouTube channel has dozens and hundreds of shorts now - so… I’m not digging through that) - he cited an instance where a guys backpack when he was holstering a gun got caught in the trigger guard while taking the backpack off and holstering - IIRC. And it shot a round through his holster.

So that would’ve been prevented by this. Others I’ve heard of zipper tabs and other things getting stuck in the trigger guard.

It’s a passive safety for holstering a gun. How many prevented ND’s have you found published with any safety would be my question back.

TheNewbie
05-04-2022, 08:27 AM

If used, they greatly reduce the chance. I don’t find them as positive as a hammer at stopping trigger movement, but they are close enough. The SCD takes the Glock from a non option for me, to a viable option. It’s something that should be on every Glock in my opinion.

Trukinjp13
05-04-2022, 09:19 AM
If used, they greatly reduce the chance. I don’t find them as positive as a hammer at stopping trigger movement, but they are close enough. The SCD takes the Glock from a non option for me, to a viable option. It’s something that should be on every Glock in my opinion.

SCD is for the simple fact that shit happens. I think it’s a necessity on a striker pistol. I’ve had a freak incident in the winter where my outer layer had gotten caught in the triggerguard of a p10c. Luckily I pay attention on stowing the pistol so I saw it. But if it were dark I could not have identified that. If there was a SCD on her I would have felt the feedback on the trigger same as my tda guns. I’m happy they are being brought back into production and would appreciate options for other strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheNewbie
05-04-2022, 09:46 AM
SCD is for the simple fact that shit happens. I think it’s a necessity on a striker pistol. I’ve had a freak incident in the winter where my outer layer had gotten caught in the triggerguard of a p10c. Luckily I pay attention on stowing the pistol so I saw it. But if it were dark I could not have identified that. If there was a SCD on her I would have felt the feedback on the trigger same as my tda guns. I’m happy they are being brought back into production and would appreciate options for other strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say what you will about the XD, but over a decade ago that crappy grip safety likely saved me from an ND. Stupid, but lesson learned.

Things happen.

Duelist
05-04-2022, 11:38 AM

Difficult to prove a negative.

I don’t carry a Glock without an SCD.

TheNewbie
05-04-2022, 01:21 PM

Imagine if the YouTube cool guys, not the actual ones but the ones with tons of views, adopted and promoted these. It would be a good thing for everyone.

beenalongtime
05-05-2022, 08:24 AM
Imagine if the YouTube cool guys, not the actual ones but the ones with tons of views, adopted and promoted these. It would be a good thing for everyone.

What, you don't like the Tex Grubber song?

JTQ
05-05-2022, 08:29 AM
What, you don't like the Tex Grubber song?
In fairness to Glock, Tex had a 1911.

JPedersen
05-05-2022, 09:05 AM
So... I have an original (from my Gen. 4) Tau SCD and I just got a g19.5.

LTT is out of stock (Signed up for alert)

I remember seeing some notes on fitting the OG SCD onto a Gen. 5 gun early on...

Spent 10 minutes doing PF searches and sifting through the 5 or so main SCD related threads, but didn't find the info.

Any chance someone could get me up to speed from their experience or link me to the correct thread / post? (I promise I have searched and look ! :D )

Trying to put this Orig. SCD on my g19.5 until LTT SCD for Gen. 5 comes in stock... thanks!

Josh

TheNewbie
05-05-2022, 09:19 AM

I remember seeing some notes on fitting the OG SCD onto a Gen. 5 gun early on...

Spent 10 minutes doing PF searches and sifting through the 5 or so main SCD related threads, but didn't find the info.

Any chance someone could get me up to speed from their experience or link me to the correct thread / post? (I promise I have searched and look ! :D )

Trying to put this Orig. SCD on my g19.5 until LTT SCD for Gen. 5 comes in stock... thanks!

Josh

I think those posts may have been by Tom Jones, and his posts were largely removed from the site.

CleverNickname
05-05-2022, 09:36 AM

Josh

I asked the same question awhile back. The notch on the righthand side of the SCD is square on Gen 5, and has a small dogleg on Gen 1-4. You'd have to cut the notch square on a Gen 1-4 SCD. Personally, I'd just wait until you can get a Gen 5 SCD.

TheNewbie
05-05-2022, 09:39 AM
I asked the same question awhile back. The notch on the righthand side of the SCD is square on Gen 5, and has a small dogleg on Gen 1-4. You'd have to cut the notch square on a Gen 1-4 SCD. Personally, I'd just wait until you can get a Gen 5 SCD.

I agree with waiting. No reason not to as they are in stock often enough that you will get one sooner rather than later.

My hope is that LTT is selling tons of these things.

Totem Polar
05-05-2022, 09:52 AM

This.

And this.

JPedersen
05-05-2022, 12:35 PM
I think those posts may have been by Tom Jones, and his posts were largely removed from the site.

Ok. Thanks. Why were they removed?

Got it. Makes sense. I will hang tight...

Is anyone looking for a Gen.4 SCD? LOL.

Josh

TheNewbie
05-05-2022, 12:43 PM
Ok. Thanks. Why were they removed?

Got it. Makes sense. I will hang tight...

Is anyone looking for a Gen.4 SCD? LOL.

Josh

I’m not 100% sure and it’s not really my business, but it wasn’t anything bad as far as I know. Tom always gave great info on these things.

You’ll be glad you waited I think.

SAWBONES
05-05-2022, 12:48 PM
I'm on the mailing list for a couple Gen 2-4 LTT SCDs, and keep checking the site, but although I received an affirmative reply from LTT about more of these being made some time in the soon future, they're no longer even listed as options for purchase as they were at first.

Hope there are enough of us who still need LTTs for earlier gen Glocks to make their manufacture viable.

GearFondler
05-05-2022, 12:58 PM
I'm on the mailing list for a couple Gen 2-4 LTT SCDs, and keep checking the site, but although I received an affirmative reply from LTT about more of these being made some time in the soon future, they're no longer even listed as options for purchase as they were at first.

Hope there are enough of us who still need LTTs for earlier gen Glocks to make their manufacture viable.Unless LTT has decided we should just use the Gen5 SCD on everything.

I'm also hoping we eventually see the Slim Line SCD as well... I need one for my wife's 48.

SAWBONES
05-05-2022, 01:16 PM
Unless LTT has decided we should just use the Gen5 SCD on everything.

That'd be fine as long as I had complete certainty that LTT Gen5 SCDs would be as reliable on Gen2-4 guns as the Gen1-4 SCDs From Tau Development Group were/are, but I've seen no such assurance from LTT.

Just waitin'.

revchuck38
05-05-2022, 01:22 PM

Josh

Josh - Just FYI, based on my and at least one other person's experience on this board, LTT's email notification thing is non-functional. I recommend you check their website on a regular basis to see when they come back in stock.

dontshakepandas
05-05-2022, 01:28 PM
The Gen 5 ones are actually in stock right now.

JPedersen
05-05-2022, 08:08 PM
Josh - Just FYI, based on my and at least one other person's experience on this board, LTT's email notification thing is non-functional. I recommend you check their website on a regular basis to see when they come back in stock.

The Gen 5 ones are actually in stock right now.

Thank you and Thank you!

Josh

Mark D
05-07-2022, 12:08 PM
Only tangentially related, but I had a Tau SCD break last night. The part that "swings" detached from the rest of the SCD and vanished during live fire. I didn't realize until I finished the string.

The SCD was on a Gen 3 G19 with 5600 rounds. Previously it had been on a G17 and another G19, so probably 10,000 rounds total, plus fairly regular dryfire.

Even with the broken SCD, I think the pistol would have been operational. But I was short on time, so I switched to another G19 to finish the range session. Once at home, I installed an OEM backplate. I'll try to get a replacement SCD from LTT, but I don't see the Gen 3/4 listed currently.

blues
05-07-2022, 12:10 PM
Only tangentially related, but I had a Tau SCD break last night. The part that "swings" detached from the rest of the SCD and vanished during live fire. I didn't realize until I finished the string.

The SCD was on a Gen 3 G19 with 5600 rounds. Previously it had been on a G17 and another G19, so probably 10,000 rounds total, plus fairly regular dryfire.

Even with the broken SCD, I think the pistol would still have been operational. For now, I installed an OEM backplate until I can get a replacement SCD from LTT.

Thanks for that update. Useful info.

ccmdfd
05-07-2022, 01:48 PM
Even with the broken SCD, I think the pistol would have been operational. But I was short on time, so I switched to another G19 to finish the range session. Once at home, I installed an OEM backplate. I'll try to get a replacement SCD from LTT, but I don't see the Gen 3/4 listed currently.

IIRC:

When Todd and crew designed the SCD, one of the features was that a parts failure would still leave you with a functional weapon.

TheNewbie
05-07-2022, 02:42 PM
Wonder why it broke and what could be done to prevent this from occurring with other SCDs.

Duckysattva
06-22-2022, 09:54 AM
Any users of the LTT Gen 5 SCDs seeing any rust/oxidation anywhere?

I had an issue yesterday with my EDC where the SCD was locked up and would not hinge. It impeded the rearward motion of the trigger to the point that I had to pull the trigger hard enough that it actually moved the slide rearward out of battery before the trigger bar released the striker and the slide came forward. It was during dry fire after not having live fired in a while but it had only been about a week since I manipulated the trigger/gadget on this gun. I typically use another gun for dry fire to avoid administrative unloading/loading but was going to wipe down and lube my carry gun and finding this was fairly alarming.

I took the slide off and had to pry the gadget open with my thumb and noticed some rust on the side cross-section of the hinge plate so not sure if the rust in the gap between it and the backplate slot is what prevented it from hinging or if there was rust in the pin's channel. I forced it closed again and swiveled it a few times to limber it up then tried to take it apart to no avail so I dropped some Eezox into the gaps and let it soak overnight and was finally able to pry it out of the backplate channel this morning. I plan on hitting it hard with at least a nylon brush and Eezox all over the surfaces to try and solve/prevent future rust. Any other thoughts on how to prevent recurrence?

Not bashing the LTT gadgets, I should probably be checking it more frequently given the summer is now here and the gun is seeing more sweat in the holster but the finish is different than that of the Tau SCDs which I've never had one show rust on despite being EDC'd and seeing sweat, humidity, salt air, etc. I thought maybe the slide itself could be the culprit, it's the only cerakoted pistol slide I have, but I'm not seeing any oxidation anywhere else exposed to the same environment (rear sight dovetail, extractor, striker channel, etc.).

eb07
06-22-2022, 10:20 AM
Wonder why it broke and what could be done to prevent this from occurring with other SCDs.

It's the weak point, the pin. Not much you can do over time as it's a small metal piece that is used as the pivot. 10K rounds is a good run for something that small.

RoyGBiv
06-22-2022, 10:57 AM
Any users of the LTT Gen 5 SCDs seeing any rust/oxidation anywhere?

I had an issue yesterday with my EDC where the SCD was locked up and would not hinge. It impeded the rearward motion of the trigger to the point that I had to pull the trigger hard enough that it actually moved the slide rearward out of battery before the trigger bar released the striker and the slide came forward. It was during dry fire after not having live fired in a while but it had only been about a week since I manipulated the trigger/gadget on this gun. I typically use another gun for dry fire to avoid administrative unloading/loading but was going to wipe down and lube my carry gun and finding this was fairly alarming.

I took the slide off and had to pry the gadget open with my thumb and noticed some rust on the side cross-section of the hinge plate so not sure if the rust in the gap between it and the backplate slot is what prevented it from hinging or if there was rust in the pin's channel. I forced it closed again and swiveled it a few times to limber it up then tried to take it apart to no avail so I dropped some Eezox into the gaps and let it soak overnight and was finally able to pry it out of the backplate channel this morning. I plan on hitting it hard with at least a nylon brush and Eezox all over the surfaces to try and solve/prevent future rust. Any other thoughts on how to prevent recurrence?

Not bashing the LTT gadgets, I should probably be checking it more frequently given the summer is now here and the gun is seeing more sweat in the holster but the finish is different than that of the Tau SCDs which I've never had one show rust on despite being EDC'd and seeing sweat, humidity, salt air, etc. I thought maybe the slide itself could be the culprit, it's the only cerakoted pistol slide I have, but I'm not seeing any oxidation anywhere else exposed to the same environment (rear sight dovetail, extractor, striker channel, etc.).

I would reach out to LTT and let them know. I'd be surprised if they didn't ask you to exchange it so they can do some analysis on it.
If the coating is the problem, they would likely want to address it with the finish vendor.
I have no idea whether they are outsourcing the fabrication and finish or doing some or all in house.

Even if you are one of those folks that sweat higher or lower than normal pH, I'd want to know how often that causes a problem if I'm LTT.

Thanks for the heads up and reminder to lube.

Duckysattva
06-27-2022, 05:10 PM
Even if you are one of those folks that sweat higher or lower than normal pH, I'd want to know how often that causes a problem if I'm LTT.

I must be one of those folks.

LTT responded that they're not sure what would cause the issue and there's "no reason for them to to rust other than someone that has very corrosive sweat". LTTs coating is said to be black oxide as well so they should be the same finish as the Tau Dev Gadgets though the appearance is a glossier black than my original SCDs.

Noted, I'll have to give up drinking battery acid I guess and be sure to keep the gadgets lubed.

TheNewbie
06-27-2022, 05:15 PM
I must be one of those folks.

LTT responded that they're not sure what would cause the issue and there's "no reason for them to to rust other than someone that has very corrosive sweat". LTTs coating is said to be black oxide as well so they should be the same finish as the Tau Dev Gadgets though the appearance is a glossier black than my original SCDs.

Noted, I'll have to give up drinking battery acid I guess and be sure to keep the gadgets lubed.

What’s the current situation with your SCD? Did LTT want to look at it?

Without the SCD, the Glock is not appealing *for me*. Thankfully my two Gen 5 SCDs have been good so far.

Duckysattva
06-27-2022, 06:47 PM
What’s the current situation with your SCD? Did LTT want to look at it?

Without the SCD, the Glock is not appealing *for me*. Thankfully my two Gen 5 SCDs have been good so far.

So far so good after getting it out of the gun and scrubbing it down with Eezox and a nylon then copper brush to kill the rust. It's back in the holster and has been fired a few times without further issue. I've had pretty good luck with Eezox killing rust before and keeping it away so I'm optimistic but will still be checking it several times a week.

LTT didn't ask for me to send it in, Mark just replied that it was all-stainless so stain resistant, not stain proof and black nitride coated so some maintenance/lubrication may still be needed. I didn't ask them for a return or refund of any kind, just wanted to give them the heads up.

I was always pleasantly surprised that none of my previous versions never exhibited any corrosion. I've had rear sights, roll marks, set screws, etc. even on Glocks that get carried and used eventually show oxidation. Never on a gadget though and this just happened to be on a part intended to move freely that it's presence inhibited and seemed to show up quickly after being good the week prior.

I'd still buy another in a second if I had a Glock in need. I've never heard of another issue with them outside of maybe the pin on a couple of high round count Gadgets and there have to be millions out there in use by dudes who carry and use their gear for the tools they are. I may take the one out of my dry fire/backup and put it in my EDC without any lubrication and see what it does when exposed to the same conditions.

Do the coterie here lube theirs or am I just the slacker and have been lucky until now?

1More
06-27-2022, 07:14 PM
For what it’s worth, I had an LTT scd in a bag on my work bench (coastal NC) show some small corrosion spots. Never had any corrosion on my Tau SCDs. Don’t care; just glad we have new SCDs.

Hot Sauce
06-29-2022, 03:33 PM
LTT didn't ask for me to send it in, Mark just replied that it was all-stainless so stain resistant, not stain proof and black nitride coated so some maintenance/lubrication may still be needed. I didn't ask them for a return or refund of any kind, just wanted to give them the heads up.

I was always pleasantly surprised that none of my previous versions never exhibited any corrosion. I've had rear sights, roll marks, set screws, etc. even on Glocks that get carried and used eventually show oxidation. Never on a gadget though and this just happened to be on a part intended to move freely that it's presence inhibited and seemed to show up quickly after being good the week prior.

I'm surprised they didn't want it back to examine. Surface oxidation is one thing, impeding function is another.

Duces Tecum
06-29-2022, 04:04 PM

Do your hammer fired pistols exhibit the same problem?
If not, then it's probably not you.

Duces

boing
06-29-2022, 04:20 PM
If LTT is using the same alloy spec of stainless that TDG used, then I might want to know if their supplier is providing material that actually meets the spec. Same goes for the finishing process, if they’re outsourcing that.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
06-29-2022, 04:22 PM
So far so good after getting it out of the gun and scrubbing it down with Eezox and a nylon then copper brush to kill the rust. It's back in the holster and has been fired a few times without further issue. I've had pretty good luck with Eezox killing rust before and keeping it away so I'm optimistic but will still be checking it several times a week.

I'd still buy another in a second if I had a Glock in need. I've never heard of another issue with them outside of maybe the pin on a couple of high round count Gadgets and there have to be millions out there in use by dudes who carry and use their gear for the tools they are. I may take the one out of my dry fire/backup and put it in my EDC without any lubrication and see what it does when exposed to the same conditions.

Do the coterie here lube theirs or am I just the slacker and have been lucky until now?

Make sure the Eezox dries, no bueno if it's even slightly wet... wipe with cloth until dry and you shouldn't have any more problems after a few applications and maybe once per year for good measure.

ASH556
06-29-2022, 08:05 PM
Installed my third LTT SCD this evening on a new irons only G19.5. Packaging was a little different.

Duckysattva
06-30-2022, 10:55 AM
Do your hammer fired pistols exhibit the same problem?
If not, then it's probably not you.

That's a valid question and one I had not thought of it as it's been a while since I've regularly carried and put the same miles on any gun other than a Glock. Never had rust on a Beretta 92 that I first carried, had a tiny bit show up in the roll marks on a well used and worn USP 40 after it got left in a laptop bag for a bit after a trip to Florida in August heat and humidity, and none so far on a Warren Tactical Series but it's not carried very often anymore, mostly when I'm just trying to maintain proficiency with a 1911. Maybe my chemistry changed after my birthday this year, my Dad has told me for a while that everything changes after 40...

Make sure the Eezox dries, no bueno if it's even slightly wet... wipe with cloth until dry and you shouldn't have any more problems after a few applications and maybe once per year for good measure.

Will keep an eye on that. Why no bueno if it's slightly wet; is the concern with it acting as a solvent in areas where more concentrated or pooling? I genuinely don't know as I haven't used it on a lot of things, only to knock out rust when it showed on the USP roll marks and scrubbing some Dawson rear sights that showed a little rust on a G19.4 that I wore everywhere for years in SC heat and humidity. The rear sights on that gun were the only thing that ever showed any rust from being right against the skin.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Thy.Will.Be.Done
06-30-2022, 11:37 AM
That's a valid question and one I had not thought of it as it's been a while since I've regularly carried and put the same miles on any gun other than a Glock. Never had rust on a Beretta 92 that I first carried, had a tiny bit show up in the roll marks on a well used and worn USP 40 after it got left in a laptop bag for a bit after a trip to Florida in August heat and humidity, and none so far on a Warren Tactical Series but it's not carried very often anymore, mostly when I'm just trying to maintain proficiency with a 1911. Maybe my chemistry changed after my birthday this year, my Dad has told me for a while that everything changes after 40...

Will keep an eye on that. Why no bueno if it's slightly wet; is the concern with it acting as a solvent in areas where more concentrated or pooling? I genuinely don't know as I haven't used it on a lot of things, only to knock out rust when it showed on the USP roll marks and scrubbing some Dawson rear sights that showed a little rust on a G19.4 that I wore everywhere for years in SC heat and humidity. The rear sights on that gun were the only thing that ever showed any rust from being right against the skin.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

It's designed to work as dry lubricant/protectant by leaving a sort of waxy film once the carrier solvent has evaporated. If it doesn't dry after a couple hours it must be wiped lightly with cloth to allow it to dry. It will become gummy and attract debris if left wet and may not work as well for protection though I cannot say.